Type keyword(s) to search

Artistic Gymnastics: Stick the Landing!

I'm sad the US is struggling but it's awesome that Brazil is kicking butt on their home turf. I would really love it if they grabbed a medal and surprised the hell out of everyone the very first time they've fielded a whole team.

I have to say, I think Jon Horton is a great commentator and would gladly oust Al and Tim in favor of his thoughtful, insightful commentary. Make it happen, NBC.

• Love 7

I have to say, I think Jon Horton is a great commentator and would gladly oust Al and Tim in favor of his thoughtful, insightful commentary. Make it happen, NBC.

Absolutely. He also clearly knows how to have fun with it without making everything overly dramatic. He sounds like he's having a blast.

Just now, catray said:

I'm sad the US is struggling but it's awesome that Brazil is kicking butt on their home turf. I would really love it if they grabbed a medal and surprised the hell out of everyone the very first time they've fielded a whole team.

No! If they put the good commentators on TV, the network would dumb them down because they think the average person is stupid.

Beautiful routines by Japan.  Great Vaults by US.  I know the women have gotten more coverage but the randomness of the Men's final and the fact that it's anyone's game at this point is everything right now.

We officially moved past Germany so we should go up a spot after R4.

Edited by kittykat

Japan killed the PB. USA heading there for next rotation.

You guys! I have to head home from work after this rotation :( :( I hope I come back to lots of commentary from you guys! I don't know if USA can pull out something amazing, but I agree, I'm rooting for Brazil!

2 minutes ago, ExplainItAgain said:

Japan killed the PB. USA heading there for next rotation.

You guys! I have to head home from work after this rotation :( :( I hope I come back to lots of commentary from you guys! I don't know if USA can pull out something amazing, but I agree, I'm rooting for Brazil!

Travel safe! and we will! :) Let's go BRAZIL! 
(i'm meh on GBR right now)

6 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

Maybe Martha can move to Colorado Springs?

Marta's approach likely not to work with men's training. Male gymnasts are generally older, many of them in college. 

It's noted that even in the heyday of the USSR machine the Soviet men's team was somewhat infamous for being undisciplined compared to the women (lots of DUI's and rumors that the head coach Leonid Arkayev let his favorites run wild). 

Edited by Growsonwalls
Just now, Daisy said:

China with a huge stepout on vault...

I don't think they're medalling today y'all. 

China missing out on the podium would not make me sad at all. They're so damn boring.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, catray said:

Tim and Al need to be fired already as their constant and unending negativity towards certain gymnasts destroys the viewing for me.

However, Horton is terrible. He's trying to spin the US's embarassing performance as no big deal. Sam wandered out of bounds twice and Horton was like that was a strong finish and just a minor mistake. He's too good of friends with these people to be a good commentator. And he makes everything about himself.

Edited by pivot
1 minute ago, Growsonwalls said:

Marta's approach likely not to work with men's training. Male gymnasts are generally older, many of them in college. 

It's noted that even in the heyday of the USSR machine the Soviet men's team was somewhat infamous for being undisciplined compared to the men (lots of DUI's and rumors that the head coach Leonid Arkayev let his favorites run wild). 

It was a joke. If they finish in seventh I think USAG should just clean house with the men's program and give money to Sam Mikulak to force him to retire.  He hasn't gone 6 for 6 since the American Cup of 2013.  While he is spouting off that he could be like Kohei what a joke. If Gabby did that she would receive so much critiscm. 

• Love 1
Just now, PoshSprinkles said:
Just now, Elsydeon said:

China missing out on the podium would not make me sad at all. They're so damn boring.

I don't mind. :-) 

me either :D 
and I agree. China can be a yawn

However, Dalton is terrible. He's trying to spin the US's embarassing performance as no big deal. Sam wandered out of bounds twice and Dalton was like that was a strong finish and just a minor mistake. He's too good of friends with these people to be a good commentator. And he makes everything about himself.

Oh, I didn't take it that way. I thought Horton's point was that Sam pulled it back together and finished well, unlike in London when he struggled with his dismount on floor. And I personally enjoy the personal connection he has to the sport. Mileage varies.

Edited by Jillibean
  • Love 2

China just makes me irrationally angry on floor exercise. Poor posture and sloppy form. That's why I can't root for them. 

They're sort of what the Romanians used to be in women's gymnastics. Solid but boring. I've always enjoyed their headcasy underaged starved female gymnasts more because the ladies have beautiful form.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, pivot said:

Tim and Al need to be fired already as their constant and unending negativity towards certain gymnasts destroys the viewing for me.

However, Dalton is terrible. He's trying to spin the US's embarassing performance as no big deal. Sam wandered out of bounds twice and Dalton was like that was a strong finish and just a minor mistake. He's too good of friends with these people to be a good commentator. And he makes everything about himself.

I think you mean Horton yeah I agree the worst was prelims when Jim asked him why the US  men are weak on pommel and he goes we are just like every team.

• Love 1

I don't see the US as sucking pivot.  They had a below average rotation on floor.  They exceeded expectation on Pommel and Rings and did well on Vault.  They weren't favorites to win or even medal and their strongest events are ahead.  Besides they're going up against strong Japanese and Russian teams and an on-fire Brazilian team with home court advantage.  They're doing great with what they're up against.

• Love 2

China just makes me irrationally angry on floor exercise. Poor posture and sloppy form. That's why I can't root for them. 

And how the fuck do you land with your hands down on a vault and get an 8.7 in execution? China is so overrated and getting scores based on their reputation.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, kittykat said:

I don't see the US as sucking pivot.  They had a below average rotation on floor.  They exceeded expectation on Pommel and Rings and did well on Vault.  They weren't favorites to win or even medal and their strongest events are ahead.  Besides they're going up against strong Japanese and Russian teams and an on-fire Brazilian team with home court advantage.  They're doing great with what they're up against.

But why aren't they the favorites to medal? Why don't they medal (or haven't in a while)? 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Elsydeon said:

And how the fuck do you land with your hands down on a vault and get an 8.7 in execution? China is so overrated and getting scores based on their reputation.

ugh. right? like - mark that like you would period. that should have been a full mark deduction.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

It was a joke. If they finish in seventh I think USAG should just clean house with the men's program and give money to Sam Mikulak to force him to retire.  He hasn't gone 6 for 6 since the American Cup of 2013.  While he is spouting off that he could be like Kohei what a joke. If Gabby did that she would receive so much critiscm. 

Compare to the tongue bath Sam gets from the announcers to the nonstop criticism Gabby gets from Tim/Al even when she does her best UB routine of this quad.

And the US men suck badly. They have 1 score over 15. They have made stupid error after stupid error. Not one clean routine yet. It's embarassing. But, they continue to get excuses after excuses made for them. 

Edited by pivot
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, pivot said:

Compare to the tongue bath Sam gets from the announcers to the nonstop criticism Gabby gets from Tim/Al even when she does her best UB routine of this quad.

And the US men suck badly. They have 1 score over 15. They have made stupid error after stupid error. Not one clean routine yet. It's embarassing. But, they continue to get excuses after excuses made for them. 

That was before vault. All 3 of their vaults were over 15.

• Love 2
Just now, ExplainItAgain said:

After 4 rotations:

RUS
JPN
GBR
BRA
CHN
USA
GER
UKR

Thanks - :) BBC is slow on the important stuff 

imagine if russia were to win. 

hm. if they don't. i wonder what's easier for Japan. 
Go To Tokyo needing to win a team gold. or. Going to Tokyo as defending Olympic medalists. either way for them would be the biggest stress in life. 

4 minutes ago, Elsydeon said:

That was before vault. All 3 of their vaults were over 15.

Yeah, now they have 4 scores over 15. Still horrible.

Edited by pivot
3 minutes ago, pivot said:

Seriously the guy said he could be as great as Kohei. I don't know how delusional you could be. If you are as great start working and land a clean routine.

• Love 1

If the US doesn't grab a miraculous come from behind medal, you will hardly see any men's gymnastics tonight in primetime.

As the women consistently perform well, the US men just choke every year. It's exasperating.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, choclatechip45 said:

Seriously the guy said he could be as great as Kohei. I don't know how delusional you could be. If you are as great start working and land a clean routine.

He doens't do clean routines? 

3 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

Seriously the guy said he could be as great as Kohei.

Sam will have to prove that in the floor final 'cause he's sure not doing it here.

Edited by greendog78

It's not just the US who is performing poorly. There are so many falls and screw-ups that it just isn't fun to watch. I can't remember the last time I've seen a women's final this messy. Maybe the 2000 AAs with the messed up vault.

• Love 1

It seems like the US men's inability to complete clean routines under pressure is the biggest factor in their medal drought. They need a sports psychologist. It's crazy, the difference between what they can do when they can drop a score versus what they can do when they know every score counts. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

If Ukraine is purposely doing bad because of what happened in 2012 then that's just stupid and self-defeating. It's been four years. Get over it. 

What happened? I didn't get to catch much gymnastics in 2012. 

Russia slightly faltering on High Bar.  And seriously with with the inflated Chinese scores.

@Daisy, Ukraine was in the bronze medal position in London with Japan in fourth until a scoring error was realized.  I believe Kohei Uchimura was scored lower on Pommel Horse because the judges had written down the wrong Difficulty score.  The error was fixed and it moved Japan to silver bumping Ukraine out of the medals.

Edited by kittykat

There were plenty of stuck landings in yesterday's performances. I expect we'll see a lot more in tomorrow's women's final. It's pretty common for top women. The men seem less concerned with it.

I think they need to stop trying to build a team around Sam. He's a mess that chokes at every big meet. Hopefully, he'll retire after this Olympics and they will get a director in there who makes them work on the basics so they stop these stupid mistakes.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Jillibean said:

It seems like the US men's inability to complete clean routines under pressure is the biggest factor in their medal drought. They need a sports psychologist. It's crazy, the difference between what they can do when they can drop a score versus what they can do when they know every score counts. 

I would volunteer as tribute. But that must be so aggravating. I remember that as early as 2000. they'd be great - annnnndd. then it's like a gas can. 

2 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

He hasn't gone 6 for 6 since 2013 American Cup. Which was also Simone Biles first ever senior competition to put it in perspective. 

Smokes. that is some perspective. 
I don't mind the arrogance, but yah as was said if you think you're like (or better) than the best in the world, then get cracking. 

1 minute ago, emma675 said:

I just wish any of them (women included) could routinely stick a landing. On any apparatus. The little one hops seem to be par for the course lately.

me too. it drives me nuts. 

• Love 1
Just now, pivot said:

There were plenty of stuck landings in yesterday's performances. I expect we'll see a lot more in tomorrow's women's final. It's pretty common for top women. The men seem less concerned with it.

I think they need to stop trying to build a team around Sam. He's a mess that chokes at every big meet. Hopefully, he'll retire after this Olympics and they will get a director in there who makes them work on the basics so they stop these stupid mistakes.

He said he wants to go for Tokyo 2020. Hopefully they give him money and force him to retire. 

• Love 1

I think the U.S. just doesn't have a rotation where they can rack monster scores. For instance Japan in PB and vault, China in PB and rings, etc. I guess maybe high bars is the US best event. But they just don't have those apparatuses where they start off with a huge start value. They basically have to hit all the time in order to medal and they can't seem to do that so oh well ... 

1 minute ago, Daisy said:

What happened? I didn't get to catch much gymnastics in 2012. 

Ukraine got bumped out of the medals after Japan appealed Uchimura's score on pommels. Japan was originally in 4th, but once Uchi's score got bumped up, they moved to second, GB to third, and Ukraine to 4th.