Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, go4luca said:

Who's watching?!!!   🌖🌗🌘🌑🌒🌓🌔

mexico_capital_20_1_2019_20_51_41_257 copy.jpg

I watched what I could of it before having to go to bed (I have to work today, dang it).  Almost missed it (partially due to the clouds here, which cleared up enough for us to see it, but someone also told me the wrong time as well), but went outside to do something, looked up and it was starting.  A while later, went outside again and it was almost fully covered.  A bit later, there was a red tinge.  I'm in the PNW so we might not have gotten all the good stuff, but we sure got a good view of parts of it.

Last night, I had a DCC dream.  I had made the squad and was doing a bunch of activities with some of the girls.  One of the activities was a photo shoot.  There were some worries, like about weight or missing uniforms, but everything went off smoothly. . . until we found out that some of the girls were told that they could get entered to win things based on how many points they got during the activities.  They were scored/kept track during the events.  The rest of us involved didn't know about it until it was announced at the end of the day.  The people who'd set this up tried to say that everyone was informed verbally when they signed up (which was immediately shot down since none of the girls who were upset about this remembered being told this and at least one would have remember SOMETHING like this being mentioned).  Then they tried to tell us it was in the paperwork that we signed when we signed up, which was also untrue because we just put our names on a list.  I don't remember much else about what happened except that several girls (including myself) weren't happy about the whole thing among other things.  I do remember Meredith Oden being there and talk of her and her horses, but it seemed we were talking about horses and hay prices AFTER the rest of the stuff went down, but nothing was actually settled by then.

• Love 1
On 1/13/2019 at 8:04 PM, go4luca said:

I will never look at a jump split the same again.  Watch full screen and check out around the 1:22 mark. 

(for those who don't follow gymnastics, Katelyn Ohashi was once an Olympic hopeful)

She has grown up so much from when she was the tiny junior gymnast who was throwing back fulls on the beam. So glad to see that she bounced back in collegiate gym! 

Also special shout-out to that first pass (split leg double layout). It’s ridiculously hard. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

She has grown up so much from when she was the tiny junior gymnast who was throwing back fulls on the beam. So glad to see that she bounced back in collegiate gym! 

Also special shout-out to that first pass (split leg double layout). It’s ridiculously hard. 

Is this the routine you meant?  Even though not her best, the difficulty level is amazing!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, go4luca said:

Is this the routine you meant?  Even though not her best, the difficulty level is amazing!

She's awesome!  I didn't realize she was the same gymnast with the Michael Jackson routine from last year.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, go4luca said:

Yes! She was throwing laid out back fulls on the beam at a really young age - at least as early as 2010 I believe. It's too bad that she had so many injuries, but had she made it to the Olympics, there is a good chance that she would have gone pro, and then we wouldn't even see her excellent NCAA routines. 

• Love 2
On 1/13/2019 at 8:04 PM, go4luca said:

I will never look at a jump split the same again.  Watch full screen and check out around the 1:22 mark. 

(for those who don't follow gymnastics, Katelyn Ohashi was once an Olympic hopeful)

Thanks!  And you are right, total rock star!  

• Love 2

I follow several very talented non-DCC dancers on Instagram.  One of them, Autumn Miller, is just sixteen, but amazingly talented and just starred in the video for "Bad Liar" by Imagine Dragons.  Her Instagram is @autumnmiller and here's the link to the Imagine Dragons video: 

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, EricaShadows said:

I follow several very talented non-DCC dancers on Instagram.  One of them, Autumn Miller, is just sixteen, but amazingly talented and just starred in the video for "Bad Liar" by Imagine Dragons.  Her Instagram is @autumnmiller and here's the link to the Imagine Dragons video: 

I follow several non DCC dancers too.  Autumn is insanely talented with incredible technique & extension.  Her talent was obvious from a very young age.

13 minutes ago, go4luca said:

I follow several non DCC dancers too.  Autumn is insanely talented with incredible technique & extension.  Her talent was obvious from a very young age.

From the brief research I did on her before posting the video seems to say that, while she IS insanely talented, she also worked her butt off to make sure that she would be taken seriously.  Some would say she worked just as hard, if not harder, just to prove that she wasn't just resting on talent.

• Love 1
On 1/25/2019 at 6:38 PM, EricaShadows said:

OMG this was filmed at a high school in my neighborhood, Green Valley High School. In fact, my daughter has danced in competitions in that very gym. 

1 hour ago, Law Mom said:

OMG this was filmed at a high school in my neighborhood, Green Valley High School. In fact, my daughter has danced in competitions in that very gym. 

That is WAY too cool.  I hope she (and her team, if she performed on one) scored high in those competitions.

Random. . . I came across a high school out of Florida (the Seminole High School Dazzlers) at the UDA Nationals in the high kick division.  What made it so interesting was that they had a guy in the performance (and not just as a "prop").  He did the same moves (and had a few "features"), including the kick line and jump splits.  Here's one of the best videos I could find (none of which are exactly great): 

If a high school is willing to take a risk on a male doing high kick AT A NATIONAL COMPETITION of all places, I don't see why Kelli and Charlotte won't.  However, I won't go down that rabbit hole here or now.

• Love 4

I just wish his uniform was more similar to everyone else's, the all black stood out oddly, but besides that they looked great.  Glad to see skill, not gender, was what mattered, he's really good!

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

I'd love to see some male DCC.  Or at least some at try outs.

One guy tried out, but he wasn't even mentioned on the show.  And when Melissa R was doing the publicity circuit for the show, every single time she was asked about male cheerleaders in the NFL, she didn't mention that there was one at tryouts.

Hubby came in the kitchen and said the news was showing cheerleaders for Super Bowl and two of them were men.  I told him they must be very talented to be on a team.  Trent Lott, a powerful congressman from MS (now retired) was a cheerleader at his college.

Edited by parrotfeathers
  • Love 2

I didn't know Tennessee Titans used to have men:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/music/bal-male-cheerleaders-pictures-photogallery.html

The Tennessee Titans also featured male "yell leaders," as they called them, for a while, but dropped them in 2004, reportedly worrying about stunt liability.

According to that article, some other male cheerleaders were George W. Bush, Ronald Reagan, Jimmy Stewart and Samuel L. Jackson. 

• Love 1

So now I'm thinking of all the  "interesting" uniforms that could be designed for a man.  Maybe a special bottom with a tie that would accentuate his man parts?  Cannot imagine Kelly fitting that.

Hubby called me to the TV a few weeks ago to watch some underwear commercial.  There HAD to be an enhancement in his briefs.  Horses aren't even built like he was.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, parrotfeathers said:

So now I'm thinking of all the  "interesting" uniforms that could be designed for a man.  Maybe a special bottom with a tie that would accentuate his man parts?  Cannot imagine Kelly fitting that.

Hubby called me to the TV a few weeks ago to watch some underwear commercial.  There HAD to be an enhancement in his briefs.  Horses aren't even built like he was.

Just spit morning coffee all over my kid's homework!

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ByTor said:

I didn't know Tennessee Titans used to have men:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/music/bal-male-cheerleaders-pictures-photogallery.html

According to that article, some other male cheerleaders were George W. Bush, Ronald Reagan, Jimmy Stewart and Samuel L. Jackson. 

Guys on college cheer teams are still pretty much the norm. I think it's when they become more dance oriented that they start to lose the guys. Some colleges now have both cheer teams & dance teams.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, hannahbanana said:

Guys on college cheer teams are still pretty much the norm. I think it's when they become more dance oriented that they start to lose the guys. Some colleges now have both cheer teams & dance teams.

And oddly, from everything I read, men were the 1st cheerleaders, women weren't used until several years later.

15 minutes ago, hannahbanana said:

Yeah, I think it’s just pro sports where “cheerleaders” are basically dancers. I would imagine that many, if not most, college cheerleaders would have a hard time making a team like the DCCs. They just don’t dance that much. In my experience, stunting, tumbling, and jumps really determined if you made those teams (and for the co-ed college teams - size - all of the girls were short and skinny). Dance was a small factor. 

I would be curious if many college dance teams have male dancers. I don’t remember ever seeing that, but it’s possible that it may have become more prevalent recently. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ByTor said:

And oddly, from everything I read, men were the 1st cheerleaders, women weren't used until several years later.

There probably wasn't much of a choice since many colleges weren't co-ed to begin with. A quick Google search showed most of the Ivy League schools not going co-ed until the 1960's (and Columbia not until 1983 😨). They could have used sister schools, but it was probably easier to just do it themselves (and maybe an "improper" or "unseemly" thing for women to do once upon a time). Oh, how times have changed.

14 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

I have a friend that did a lot of catalog type modeling...he said they’d wrap their junk in a piece of bread to smooth it all out and add a little size 😂😂😂

• Love 1
9 hours ago, kalibean said:

I have a friend that did a lot of catalog type modeling

Reminds me of when kids couldn't wait for mom to pick up the latest Sears catalog.

Closest thing to the internet we had.

Edited by parrotfeathers
  • Love 1
On 1/31/2019 at 10:27 AM, TexasBorn said:

What's the status of Erica's lawsuit? I heard that it was thrown out, but not sure if that is true.

Dismissed without prejudice. Meaning, she can refill it, but it's dead until she does.

• Love 2
On 1/30/2019 at 10:15 AM, hannahbanana said:

The LA rams have two male cheerleaders. I read the article with my students last week. I’ll have to link it. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Hummingbird24 said:

The LA rams have two male cheerleaders. I read the article with my students last week. I’ll have to link it. 

The New Orleans Saintsations have a male cheerleader.

I had a DCC dream last night.  I was on a plane in Italy that had to make an emergency landing, and Kelsey Lowrance was one of the flight attendants.  She walked by & I asked her what was going on but she ignored me, to which I said "That was rude!"  Super random.

• Love 2

I don't dream much, but when I do, it is always DCC-related (I know I'm pathetic).I could never figure out if I'm a fan who won a contest or if I am really trying out for the squad. But either way, I am always completely unprepared. I have no idea how to do the dances or God forbid, jump splits, and I always wake up so disappointed in myself. I don't reach the uniform fittings (thank God). But after re-watching season 9 for the 1.000 th time, now I know how Breelan must have felt :)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Omigosh I've had some DCC dreams before. And they usually takes place at the first game. I've made the squad somehow and we're about to have perform but I don't know if I'll know how to do anything. Lol I'm thinking I'm on the squad so I know how to dance and do the kickline but I'm so afraid I'll mess up. So I always have to ask if I can sit this one out. Ha 

• Love 1
On 2/23/2019 at 5:52 PM, pinkandsparkly13 said:

Omigosh I've had some DCC dreams before. And they usually takes place at the first game. I've made the squad somehow and we're about to have perform but I don't know if I'll know how to do anything. Lol I'm thinking I'm on the squad so I know how to dance and do the kickline but I'm so afraid I'll mess up. So I always have to ask if I can sit this one out. Ha 

Lol I've had this exact dream. Except I never sit out and somehow nail it lol

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/17/2015 at 8:32 PM, Law Mom said:

Hey DCC fan! Here's an update... My dancer daughter decided not to audition for the college team because she wants to be a normal student for a change. But she's going to school in Dallas so she plans to take Kitty's prep classes for fun, and some DCC prep classes when they start up in February. I think she has a secret fantasy of auditioning in a few years.

Here's a four year update. By winter break of her freshman year she realized how much she missed dance team so in the spring she tried out for sophomore year. She loved it and earned rookie of the year. Now she is a senior and captain of the team. She plans on staying in Dallas but she wants to focus on her new career and so has decided not to try out for DCC. I think she is the total package (great dancer, very pretty, perfect figure, mature, likeable, and professional) and very comparable to the girls in this year's rookie class. Still, with an audition process anything can happen. No one is a shoo in and there are a lot of talented girls out there, so making the team is always a long shot. I guess we will never know!

I was just out there to visit and recorded a routine. It's a little glitchy and the dance is kind of simple, but what can you do. She's front, second from the left. https://1drv.ms/v/s!ApM8UJndzybJgotqbYcmmWhBncpzDw

Edited by Law Mom
  • Love 11
(edited)
19 hours ago, MrsEVH said:

He's good; reminds me of actor/comedian Brian Posehn.

That’s exactly whom I thought of too! It was about 5 full seconds before I realized that it wasn’t him. Also took at look at Jens other pictures and videos...damn, she looks awesome. (Made me regret my lunch of cheese tortellini and cookies.)

Edited by KnyghtRyder
  • Love 1
On 3/23/2019 at 3:28 PM, PhoebeKelly1992 said:

Which would be the best topic on the forum to discuss Former TCCs? Don't want to post in the wrong place! 

There's really no good place to discuss them, so I just created a "Past Seasons" topic to discuss prior seasons and the TCCs who did not make the squad.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, ByTor said:

There's really no good place to discuss them, so I just created a "Past Seasons" topic to discuss prior seasons and the TCCs who did not make the squad.

I was thinking the same thing and was unsure where to post! Thank you for creating the topic! 😊

• Love 1

Is anyone else having problems on here? I had to reboot my internet modem to get on here last week. Now the blasted pages freeze up, so I have to keep exiting the page and coming back to it along with having a hard time posting.