Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, LaurenBrook said:my husband and i hiked Mt Diablo in August near Oakland and we were shocked by how dry everything was... sometimes i think it'd be nice to know it's going to be hot and dry every day so you could plan stuff but I'd rather have rain and less chance of these fires :( 

Now you know why Southern Californians get so excited when it rains.  I also love rain so get a bit giddy whenever we get some. We used to get more but that was 20 years ago. ?

• Love 4
10 hours ago, go4luca said:

Now you know why Southern Californians get so excited when it rains.  I also love rain so get a bit giddy whenever we get some. We used to get more but that was 20 years ago. ?

i wish i could send you some of ours! where i live is actually one of the rainiest in the US (after Seattle lol).  Everything sure is green. 

• Love 5

I watched this really interesting documentary that followed people auditioning for Cirque du Soleil Saltimbanco show.  Now there is one grueling audition!  Plus, I had no idea, there are many who make it who aren't even guaranteed to perform, they'll be on the list to be called when an opening comes available.  For the one guy they follow, it's the 9th year he's auditioning...he was my version of Brennan :)

• Love 1
7 hours ago, ByTor said:

I watched this really interesting documentary that followed people auditioning for Cirque du Soleil Saltimbanco show.  Now there is one grueling audition!  Plus, I had no idea, there are many who make it who aren't even guaranteed to perform, they'll be on the list to be called when an opening comes available.  For the one guy they follow, it's the 9th year he's auditioning...he was my version of Brennan :)

The guy who runs it is a bit of tyrant. And an asshole. I worked on a movie they made years ago and it was almost impossible to do press for the film. The performers cannot speak to press out of costume and make-up and even then, the head guy wants to do all the talking. But he was so rude and demanding the stupidest things, things we could not guarantee or were out of our control, that we had limited press coverage because of it. It has turned me off to Cirque du Soleil ever since.

Edited by PBSLover
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I really liked that episode about Cirque du Soleil.  I referenced this very episode a while back in reference to a Kelli-ism about how it's nearly impossible to make the DCC because the odds are so slim.  Both the DCC and Cirque audition hundreds at any given time.  With the DCC, there are quite a few GUARANTEED spots open every year which means there is a guaranteed job at the end of the training while Cirque only promises you a chance, a possibility.  Frankly, it's harder to be a dancer for Cirque than it is a DCC, no matter what Kelli says.

• Love 2

Watching the Cowboys/Falcons game. The Cowboys look good. It took them too long to get it together this season, but I’m thinking next year they could do well. Better than the 8-8 they’ve been doing these past few seasons. They are about to go into overtime maybe but anyway, team is looking better than they have been. So many new young guys I don’t recognize anyone on the team any longer...not much anyway.

17 hours ago, PBSLover said:

Watching the Cowboys/Falcons game. The Cowboys look good. It took them too long to get it together this season, but I’m thinking next year they could do well. Better than the 8-8 they’ve been doing these past few seasons. They are about to go into overtime maybe but anyway, team is looking better than they have been. So many new young guys I don’t recognize anyone on the team any longer...not much anyway.

My bf played football in high school with someone who is on the Cowboys now, I forgot his name now but I thought it was really cool

These guys take off their helmets on the sidelines and I think, I have no idea who that is. Jeff Heath, Cole B, Dak, Ezekiel, Sean Lee, Randy Gregory, Demarcus Lawrence, Terrence Williams, Travis Frederick, Zack Martin and the new guy Amari Cooper. That’s it. That’s all I know. I used to know them all.

• Love 1

DallasWear uniforms (the "go-to" store for DCC audition-wear) was having a sample sale today with a FCFS mindset.  I took a look at some of the outfits and found that they would only fit me in my dreams because all the samples I saw listed were either small or x-small.

ETA: I did find ONE item that was listed as a large, but I didn't go check every item on all 17 pages so who knows how many were sized other than the aforementioned small or x-small.

Edited by EricaShadows
26 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

What is your favorite Christmas movie?  Mine is Love Actually with Hugh Grant.  I think I love everything he has been in.  

The Holiday with Cameron Diaz and Kate Winslet.  And of course, White Christmas.

12 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

I still haven’t seen Mean Girls

Neither have I.  If @DanceChick is still around, I fear she is going to yell at me!

I can't watch A Christmas Story, I used to watch it non-stop on the TBS Christmas marathons & I think I severely burned myself out on it...I roll my eyes every time I see a leg lamp (bah humbug!).  I recently rewatched Christmas with the Kranks (I saw it at the movies way back), that has enough of a mixture of humor & sap to make me happy.

12 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Neither have I.  If @DanceChick is still around, I fear she is going to yell at me!

I can't watch A Christmas Story, I used to watch it non-stop on the TBS Christmas marathons & I think I severely burned myself out on it...I roll my eyes every time I see a leg lamp (bah humbug!).  I recently rewatched Christmas with the Kranks (I saw it at the movies way back), that has enough of a mixture of humor & sap to make me happy.

I was another one that yelled at you.  GO SEE MEAN GIRLS!!!!  It's so fetch!

• Love 3

Do ya'll ever play the game "Identify the Poster"?  I like to read posts and try to identify the poster.  It's not always easy!  BTW, anyone know where Big Sky Girl, Hypeman and even LaurenBrook have gone?  Seems like some folks that used to post a lot have disappeared :(.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Opine said:

LOL sorry @Opine, I get yelled at so much in life that I forget everyone who's doing it :)

BigSkyGirl mentioned something about her computer not working & she really was hoping she wouldn't have to get a new one...looks like that didn't work out so great for her :( 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Opine said:

Such a great movie! I just saw Mean Girls on Broadway last month.  It was so great!! I highly recommend it to anyone who is in NYC.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

What about A Christmas Story?  Love it. And of course How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

A Christmas Story is one of my all time faves....another is Charlie Brown Christmas :) 

1 hour ago, nittanyvolleyball said:

I think LaurenBrook said something about leaving because her views aligned with Rachel Wyatt's and she didn't feel like she fit in?

I hope that isn't the case.  One of the things that makes this board so interesting to me is all the varying views.  Even if we don't all agree.  I have always enjoyed @LaurenBrook's posts so truly hope she hasn't left the board. :-/

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, Kayce said:

A Christmas Story is one of my all time faves....another is Charlie Brown Christmas :) 

I forgot Charlie Brown - a classic.  And The Grinch - the original cartoon, not the movie.

34 minutes ago, go4luca said:

I hope that isn't the case.  One of the things that makes this board so interesting to me is all the varying views.  Even if we don't all agree.  I have always enjoyed @LaurenBrook's posts so truly hope she hasn't left the board. :-/

I hope she hasn't left either.  There are other's who haven't posted, but I think they are "seasonal" posters:)  They will probably come back next summer.

• Love 2

I hope no one here is in Anchorage.  I live in earthquake land (SoCal) and this is scary even to me.

According to this footage, it lasted over a minute which feels likes eons when you're in the midst of one.

anchorage 2 DCC copy.jpeg

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, go4luca said:

I hope no one here is in Anchorage.  I live in earthquake land (SoCal) and this is scary even to me.

According to this footage, it lasted over a minute which feels likes eons when you're in the midst of one.

anchorage 2 DCC copy.jpeg

Prayers for everyone in that area!

• Love 3

I was catching up on HBO’s Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel and they did a segment earlier this season (August) on cheerleaders. They interviewed Shauna Peters, the director of the Broncos cheerleaders as well as one cheerleader on the squad. Shauna said all the things you would think a director would say. Empowerment of women, etc. But the interviewer was asking her challenging questions about the purpose of cheerleaders. Also, about why they have to wear skimpy outfits. And why the swimsuit calendars.

He (John Frankel) then goes to England to talk to several owners of sports teams (darts - huge there - and race car driving) who have let the women go because of the new attitude in this generation. Now mind you, these women didn’t do anything. They didn’t dance. They didn’t do anything really. They were there as ornaments. But in regards to the darts tournament guy, he said people complained as did the tv networks so he said he let the women go. One of the last things John asked the guy is if he thought this was the beginning of end of the women as ornaments in sports. He said yes.

The other thing that was brought up was that U.S. dance uniform costumers have been asked lately to make costumes that are less revealing. It was an interesting piece. Nothing about the lawsuits was mentioned. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, ByTor said:

Was that question answered?

The setting was on an indoor field and some of the girls were practicing next to them (they were seated - not too staged). John Frankel pointed out the workout gear the girls were wearing (tank top and leggings) and asked why they couldn’t wear that one the field. She said it was because they are entertainers, performing a show and they need to wear costumes and the workout gear was not a costume...not a great answer.

He gave her plenty of openings to agree with him slightly and she stood fast. When the segment ended, John was in the studio with Bryant who said to John, “What is with Shauna Peters thinking it is okay for women to shake their stuff in skimpy outfits?” I paraphrased but basically what he said.

I forgot to mention the Jets have a female coach and she spoke with John saying how offensive she finds the Jet’s cheerleaders. During games, some of the male Jets' coaches will actually say something lewd to her about the cheerleaders and she has scolded them. But she wants them gone.

Lastly, I don’t agree with what the UK guy was saying about the beginning of the end for female entertainers in sports. I think it is going to evolve, but disappear? No way.

Edited by PBSLover
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, hannahbanana said:
20 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

I wonder if he would ask the Chippendales why they had to dress so skimpily?

Except the few male cheerleaders we see (more in collegiate sports & competitive cheerleading) are fully clothed.

Exactly.  Asking why Chippendales dress skimpy would be more like asking why strippers dance topless. :)

• Love 2

Hey guys! I started a new job awhile back. I’m a personal assistant to “The Optician to the Stars” here in Beverly Hills. Yesterday on the DailyMail’s Snapchat, our client Paris Hilton was wearing some glasses she got from us! I am so proud! 

0AFC244E-9E44-4B4F-9855-A01714DB986F.jpeg

• Love 4

I had a dream last night that I was in Training Camp and not only missed something big, but had the wrong outfit for it.  Kelli asked me why I missed it and I told her that one of the other girls gave me wrong information.  It switched to a dream in which I was in the ANTM and Tyra came over for a big spaghetti feed with me and the other girls.  One other aspect to the DCC dream was that Christina was the one who had given me the wrong information.  When I asked her why she would do something like that, she said it was because she thought I was too fat to be a DCC.  I said something along the lines of why don't you let Kelli and Judy decide that.  Her response was that she would tell me what Kelli and Judy wouldn't.  I also got the impression that she thought she knew better than Kelli and Judy, especially in the matter of who should be on the squad.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, DCCFanInKy said:

Can someone remind me what season it was that someone missed the gameday bus and thus wasn't allowed to dance pregame?

It was Jordan Daigle's rookie year.  (Season 7)  She danced pre-game (Thunderstruck) because it was too short notice to change everything, but she couldn't dance the rest of the game.

dcc_13-4.jpg

Edited by Tootie
  • Love 1

@EricaShadows considering how you feel about Christina, that dream is hilarious :)  Insert Kashara and that would be me!  Truth be told, it really bothers me that I don't like Kashara.  I never met her, I never heard anything bad about her, never heard of her breaking rules, having a bad attitude, nothing, and yet she annoys me :(

• Love 3
1 minute ago, ByTor said:

@EricaShadows considering how you feel about Christina, that dream is hilarious :)  Insert Kashara and that would be me!  Truth be told, it really bothers me that I don't like Kashara.  I never met her, I never heard anything bad about her, never heard of her breaking rules, having a bad attitude, nothing, and yet she annoys me :(

It truly is so bizarre to me how much you dislike Kashara.  Not knocking you in the least, just hard to understand.  I find her beautiful and so much fun to watch, both on and off the field.  For me, Kash will always be one of my all time favs.  I don't know her either but the bts stuff posted of her seem so genuine & often hilarious.

But I have a strong dislike for Rachel W. and know many here don't.  Just shows to go ya that they do need diversity on that squad of 36. 

• Love 1

@go4luca it's like Kelli says, something for everyone!  I guess it comes down to it bugging me that I have it in my head that Lacey got hosed in favor of Kashara.  I guess I've known a lot of "cute bubbly" people who ended up being backstabbers so I'm (probably unfairly) projecting it on her.

14 minutes ago, ByTor said:

@go4luca it's like Kelli says, something for everyone!  I guess it comes down to it bugging me that I have it in my head that Lacey got hosed in favor of Kashara.  I guess I've known a lot of "cute bubbly" people who ended up being backstabbers so I'm (probably unfairly) projecting it on her.

It does make sense that our own life experiences will affect our likes, dislikes and interpretation of others.  It's all good. ;o)

• Love 2
On 12/9/2018 at 5:39 PM, go4luca said:

It does make sense that our own life experiences will affect our likes, dislikes and interpretation of others.  It's all good. ;o)

You're absolutely correct....I do know people who know KaShara, and she was at EKU at the same time my daughter was.  She was in her last year I think, and my daughter has friends who were friends with her both on the dance team and in her sorority.  I've said it before, but when they read some of the things said about KaShara here...they are just befuddled, because they said you will never meet a more genuine and kind person.  I always like to throw the KaShara love out there since she is from my area and I think she's adorable.  :)  

• Love 9