Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

@PBSLover, you don't need help, you just need to some of their other videos.  After all, you're only appreciating good dancing.  BTW, because there have been some girls from the University of Oregon Ducks dance squad on the DCC AND there's some love for Cosmo the Cougar, I'm leaving this video here:

• Love 2
4 hours ago, PBSLover said:

@EricaShadows - THANK YOU!

I wish the song was better! Ha! I subscribed to Cosmo the Cougar’s YouTube channel...yes, I am just that desperate.

You're so funny!  I like to watch the Ohio State Marching Band's videos.  It's not cheerleading, but still fun to watch:)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

I like to watch the Ohio State Marching Band's videos.  It's not cheerleading, but still fun to watch:)

*Raising hand* Former band geek here and I even did marching band, including field shows.  We were so good that my senior year of high school, we found out that we were going to march in the Rose Bowl parade.  I was ecstatic. . . until I found out that it was going to happen the year AFTER I graduated and that the seniors from the year before (the ones that helped get them to the Rose Parade) weren't going to be allowed to participate.  I was mad and upset since I REALLY wanted to go.  I eventually understood the reasons WHY, but it was still upsetting and frustrating at the time.

Anyway . . . I'll have to check out the Ohio State Marching Band.  They sound good.

Edited by EricaShadows
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

*Raising hand* Former band geek here and I even did marching band, including field shows.  We were so good that my senior year of high school, we found out that we were going to march in the Rose Bowl parade.  I was ecstatic. . . until I found out that it was going to happen the year AFTER I graduated and that the seniors from the year before (the ones that helped get them to the Rose Parade) weren't going to be allowed to participate.  I was mad and upset since I REALLY wanted to go.  I eventually understood the reasons WHY, but it was still upsetting and frustrating at the time.

Anyway . . . I'll have to check out the Ohio State Marching Band.  They sound good.

You'll have to tell me what you think!!  The same thing happened to me in high school - I moved in my senior year and missed out on stuff:(  When I went back to visit at graduation, some of my former bandmates were telling me that I helped them get to that point.  It was sweet to hear, but I was still mad.

2 hours ago, nittanyvolleyball said:

I originally joined marching band because we were going to Disney in the spring...in the summer I passed out from heat exhaustion and said eff it to marching band. The lack of a Disney trip still makes me sad.

I missed out on Disney as well?

• Love 1
On 11/4/2018 at 6:16 PM, scorpio1031 said:

You're so funny!  I like to watch the Ohio State Marching Band's videos.  It's not cheerleading, but still fun to watch:)

I'm not sure how it happened, but I fell down the YT rabbit hole a few weeks ago and have spent *hours* watching Ohio State marching band vids, I mean, everything from summer practices to drum major tryouts. Probably one of my more bizarre fascinations. Love the lead drummer's "drums on the side...ready to go" call before they march down the tunnel. I've modified it for my everyday activities now: keys in hand, ready to go; coffee in pot, ready to brew; laundry is done, time to fold". Yup, Mr. Spooky thinks I've completely lost the plot. 

I grew up near Pasadena; my high school was one of a few in the SoCal area on-call to fill in for a band if they couldn't make it. Good times. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Spooky said:

I'm not sure how it happened, but I fell down the YT rabbit hole a few weeks ago and have spent *hours* watching Ohio State marching band vids, I mean, everything from summer practices to drum major tryouts. Probably one of my more bizarre fascinations. Love the lead drummer's "drums on the side...ready to go" call before they march down the tunnel. I've modified it for my everyday activities now: keys in hand, ready to go; coffee in pot, ready to brew; laundry is done, time to fold". Yup, Mr. Spooky thinks I've completely lost the plot. 

I grew up near Pasadena; my high school was one of a few in the SoCal area on-call to fill in for a band if they couldn't make it. Good times. 

Ohio State has a good marching band, I went to Penn State and the Blue Band is pretty awesome too. They have a feature majorette who is always great and a good mix of band and band front (majorettes and flag twirlers or silks as we were called in high school). 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, MelissaB326 said:

They have a feature majorette who is always great and a good mix of band and band front (majorettes and flag twirlers or silks as we were called in high school). 

Me me me!!!  I was a silk :)

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, DCC-UK said:

I’m from the U.K. so I have no idea what any of this means ? marching band is sooooo American to me! 

I guess it is an American thing. Never thought of that.

I didn’t go to schools that had any of this so I get you. Our high school/middle school maybe had this but I never paid attention. I was a hippie and I had jobs after school so...my point is, it is another world for most of us here as well unless it was a part of your hometown culture.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, PBSLover said:

I guess it is an American thing. Never thought of that.

I didn’t go to schools that had any of this so I get you. Our high school/middle school maybe had this but I never paid attention. I was a hippie and I had jobs after school so...my point is, it is another world for most of us here as well unless it was a part of your hometown culture.

My high school had it, but it was social suicide to be in marching band. I have since found out that it isn't that way everywhere.  It is funny how different things can be even within the US.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, edelweiss said:

My high school had it, but it was social suicide to be in marching band. I have since found out that it isn't that way everywhere.  It is funny how different things can be even within the US.

Very true!!!

I didn't really have a social life in high school so being in band couldn't kill it.  People often knew me as so-and-so's sister (I had a sibling that was ahead of me who was SUCH a people person and very popular while at school).  Oddly enough, for a while after high school, I met people who actually knew me when I didn't think they did.  Now, being quite a few years out, I get very few and when I went to a milestone reunion in the past two years or so, I realized I never wanted to go to another reunion.  It was just like high school.  I wouldn't have even gone to that reunion if I hadn't wanted to meet up with someone I had grown up with.  Sadly, I realized I cherished the child's memory of who she used to be and I didn't like the person she had grown into.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, edelweiss said:

In my school being in band wouldn't get you made fun of.  AV Club, on the other hand...

• Love 1

Marching band was HUGE at my school. Dance/drill, of course majorettes, color guard (flags) all performed with band. Cheerleading was actually kind of the wild girls who were too short for dance. Drumline was a big deal for guys. Now still no clue why show choir was still dorky when it's almost the same as band, just singing instead of instruments, but funny how schools differ. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, UnicornKicks said:

Marching band was HUGE at my school. Dance/drill, of course majorettes, color guard (flags) all performed with band. Cheerleading was actually kind of the wild girls who were too short for dance. Drumline was a big deal for guys. Now still no clue why show choir was still dorky when it's almost the same as band, just singing instead of instruments, but funny how schools differ. 

Same here....and the year a girl was on drumline....the crowd went insane when she had her solos. 

• Love 1

What does "drill team" mean?  We don't have such a thing where I'm from.

I wanted to be a majorette so bad, I even took baton lessons.  My school, though, disbanded majorettes a couple years before I went into high school :'(

• Love 1

I went to a very small high school so since we knew everyone since kindergarten, it wasn’t a big deal to be in certain things like band, though I admit being in band front was “cooler” than the regular band, we had a lot cuter outfits as we got new ones each year to match the music theme. 

I was a cheerleader and in band front, it was hard because I had to change from my cheerleader uniform to my band front costume before half time then change back afterwards, but a couple of us cheerleaders did this so it wasn’t a big deal. Our band front was really big and we were pretty darn good IMO, it wasn’t looked down on to be in it, lots of the so called “popular girls” were in it. But quite frankly, once you get out of the same small town and go to college and move on with your life, you realize just how much it doesn’t matter what other people think about what you do, so go on and be in the marching band if you want to be. 

2 hours ago, ByTor said:

I wanted to be a majorette so bad, I even took baton lessons.  My school, though, disbanded majorettes a couple years before I went into high school :'(

Aww that’s sad! We had a girl who twirled a baton with fire on the ends one year and always had a few majorettes. I twirled a flag and did Pom Pom girls (we just danced) because I was not good at baton at all. 

I always loved to watch the feature majorette in the Blue Band at Penn State, she was awesome. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, MelissaB326 said:

I twirled a flag

That's what I ended up doing.  Unlike you, though, we did not have cute costumes, we had white jackets & dark blue capri pants, we looked like freaking Minute Men, although the captains thought they were adorable (the uniforms, I mean...although they thought they were pretty adorable too LOL).  The only time we looked cute was the 1st couple games my senior year (I only did it as a senior)...the pants weren't ready yet so we wore our own white shorts.  The girls who already graduated were mad that they never got to wear shorts LOL.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ByTor said:

Drill team is dance team that emphasizes kick line and technique more than pep squad or pom squad.

1 hour ago, MelissaB326 said:

But quite frankly, once you get out of the same small town and go to college and move on with your life, you realize just how much it doesn’t matter what other people think about what you do, so go on and be in the marching band if you want to be. 

Amen sister.

• Love 2

I am leaving on Friday morning for my annual cruise!!   I've always done RCL but this year it's Celebrity.

Unfortunately 3 weeks ago I broke my hand so now have a splint.  The biggest challenge is the curling iron.  But I can still hold a cosmo glass!

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

I am leaving on Friday morning for my annual cruise!!   I've always done RCL but this year it's Celebrity.

Unfortunately 3 weeks ago I broke my hand so now have a splint.  The biggest challenge is the curling iron.  But I can still hold a cosmo glass!

Priorities:)

• Love 5
10 hours ago, ByTor said:

Look up Kilgore Rangerettes...

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Tootie said:

Look up Kilgore Rangerettes...

Oh, I heard of them & have watched some of their performances on YouTube, very impressive!  You were one, correct?  So that is what a drill team is, gotcha!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ByTor said:

Oh, I heard of them & have watched some of their performances on YouTube, very impressive!  You were one, correct?  So that is what a drill team is, gotcha!

Megan Fox, Emma, Meredith, Kristen G, Rachel were all Rangerettes.  Oh, and Robyn.  I know I am missing quite a few girls.

• Love 2
On 11/7/2018 at 9:09 PM, scorpio1031 said:

Megan Fox, Emma, Meredith, Kristen G, Rachel were all Rangerettes.  Oh, and Robyn.  I know I am missing quite a few girls.

Every year, the DCC print an ad in the Rangerette Revels program (end of the year Spring Show.)  This was from last year...Amber will be in it next year!

Edited by Tootie
vile
  • Love 6
24 minutes ago, Tootie said:

Every year, the DCC print an ad in the Rangerette Revels program (end of the year Spring Show.)  This was from last year...Amber will be in it next year!

dcc rgts.jpg

This is so cool!!!!  Thank you for posting this.  I didn't realize that some of these girls were Rangerettes, and now I remember Christina, Amelia and Cassie K being on the squad.

• Love 3
On 11/8/2018 at 10:27 AM, ByTor said:

Wow, I knew about Meredith & Robin, but not the others (especially surprised to see Teri).  No wonder Shelly Roper coaches kicks :)

Why did Teri get cut her second year? She looks great in that picture!

On 11/7/2018 at 11:44 PM, scorpio1031 said:

This is so cool!!!!  Thank you for posting this.  I didn't realize that some of these girls were Rangerettes, and now I remember Christina, Amelia and Cassie K being on the squad.

Meredith Oden and her mom, Kim Chapman-Oden have the honor of being the only mother/daughter duo to be on both squads :) 

Under normal circumstances, Malibu is about a 30 minute drive from me.  The smoke has reached my 'hood and it smells awful outside.  Two decades ago, I was caught in the Malibu fires while working on a film set in a canyon with no outlet.  It was terrifying.  This fire appears to be even worse.  Over 70,000 acres burned.  Paramount Ranch, where the series Westworld was filmed, was one of the casualties.

My heart goes out to all the confused and scared animals who will perish.  I'm very grateful to all the firefighters working so tirelessly to help save homes and do what they can to contain these wildfires.

The first photo was taken by a friend of a friend in Malibu yesterday.  The second photo is of some llamas who for now, are safe from the Woolsey fire after being relocated to the beach.

malibu fire 2.jpg

Llamas_Woolsey Fire FB.jpg

• Love 2
3 hours ago, go4luca said:

Under normal circumstances, Malibu is about a 30 minute drive from me.  The smoke has reached my 'hood and it smells awful outside.  Two decades ago, I was caught in the Malibu fires while working on a film set in a canyon with no outlet.  It was terrifying.  This fire appears to be even worse.  Over 70,000 acres burned.  Paramount Ranch, where the series Westworld was filmed, was one of the casualties.

My heart goes out to all the confused and scared animals who will perish.  I'm very grateful to all the firefighters working so tirelessly to help save homes and do what they can to contain these wildfires.

The first photo was taken by a friend of a friend in Malibu yesterday.  The second photo is of some llamas who for now, are safe from the Woolsey fire after being relocated to the beach.

malibu fire 2.jpg

That’s scary.  Please be safe.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, go4luca said:

malibu fire 2.jpg

I am so sorry, this is terrifying. Prayers for those near this. 

• Love 2

All the animals at nearby shelters have relocated. Photos of firefighters rescuing stray cats, deer and bunnies and a donkey are everywhere. I’m going to try to get over to Woodland Hills tomorrow to a college where Agoura Hills has relocated their animals but I don’t know if I will be allowed in. Everything is closed off. Hoping you and yours are all safe, @go4luca

• Love 2

There are organized evacuations of the barns in the area, and there are also a ton of volunteers with trailers that are rescuing horses, and other large animals, and hundreds of stalls and corrals have been opened up by barns, individual ranch owners, and people very far away.    Usually they open fair grounds, and other stabling areas to evacuee animals, and many ranchers open up stabling areas and pastures also.   The death toll I saw was 23, and over 100 people are unaccounted for, but I'm hoping they're actually busy and haven't had time to contact people to say they're safe.

There have been some heartwarming stories too.    Some men heard that there were three horses left behind in a corral, and they went to rescue them.    When they got there they found four horses, and one of the mares had just given birth to a foal.    They loaded the three horses in their trailer, and one man rode in the back of the pick up truck with the foal on his lap, and they're all safe now.   It was so cute the men kept calling the foal, a pony, and named him Spark.    

The article I just saw said that the death toll is over 30 now.  

Over 500 horses, llamas, and all kinds of other animals have been rescued, and are at two large facilities, and the llamas, and horse from the beach are in that group.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
On 11/10/2018 at 6:20 PM, go4luca said:

malibu fire 2.jpg

This is heart breaking 

• Love 2
On 11/10/2018 at 6:20 PM, go4luca said:

malibu fire 2.jpg

Oh this makes me just want to cry...i know many people don't want prayers anymore but i am praying anyway.  i'm so sorry this is happening, please be safe. <3 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, LaurenBrook said:

Oh this makes me just want to cry...i know many people don't want prayers anymore but i am praying anyway.  i'm so sorry this is happening, please be safe. <3 

Thank you everyone.  I am safe.  My neighborhood is not affected other than the hazy sky and smoke.  Several of my friends have been evacuated but thankfully no one has lost their home yet.  It's now up to over 91,000 acres burned and the Malibu water supply is threatened.  We have annual winds called the Santa Anas and the concern is they are due to kick up sometime today which will definitely impinge the already exhausted firefighters battling the flames.  Praying the winds can remain at bay to give the firefighters a chance.  This is one heinous wildfire.

kellansworld_12_11_2018_8_55_58_222 copy v2.jpg

• Love 3
4 hours ago, go4luca said:

Thank you everyone.  I am safe.  My neighborhood is not affected other than the hazy sky and smoke.  Several of my friends have been evacuated but thankfully no one has lost their home yet.  It's now up to over 91,000 acres burned and the Malibu water supply is threatened.  We have annual winds called the Santa Anas and the concern is they are due to kick up sometime today which will definitely impinge the already exhausted firefighters battling the flames.  Praying the winds can remain at bay to give the firefighters a chance.  This is one heinous wildfire.

kellansworld_12_11_2018_8_55_58_222 copy v2.jpg

my husband and i hiked Mt Diablo in August near Oakland and we were shocked by how dry everything was... sometimes i think it'd be nice to know it's going to be hot and dry every day so you could plan stuff but I'd rather have rain and less chance of these fires :( 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, LaurenBrook said:

my husband and i hiked Mt Diablo in August near Oakland and we were shocked by how dry everything was... sometimes i think it'd be nice to know it's going to be hot and dry every day so you could plan stuff but I'd rather have rain and less chance of these fires :( 

Same here...and I'm praying for the people and animals as well.... 

• Love 3