Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

I really hate the commercial for No. 7 skincare with the two ladies reflecting on their misspent youth when they used to fall asleep with a face full of makeup or, even worse, wash off their makeup with soap (their poor dry faces!). I'm not sure why I dislike it so. Possibly because it's on all the time on every channel I watch. 

• Like 4
On 10/5/2023 at 9:22 AM, mmecorday said:

I love animals. I always have. But the ASPCA ads are too much. I don't need a T-shirt to show that I care for animals. You don't donate to a cause to show what a great person you are. You do it because it's the right thing to do. 

And for me, they are counter-productive.  I can't watch them, I have to mute or change the channel.  I know there are animals who are abused and neglected and it breaks my heart.  Esp now, we had to say goodbye to 2 of our beloved kitties in August.  But I can't watch it, and the commercials are so long.

Edited by lh25
missing word
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 3
  • Sad 5
18 minutes ago, marceline said:

My new least favorite commercial. I see this constantly on Pluto TV and it grates my nerves. This doesn't seem like normal human conversation in any way.

Who hands their cat to a friend to give a treat to?

There's a companion ad where the wife is calling her husband at the grocery store with an SOS that they need more STAT! 

These people are way too invested in giving their cats treats.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, dleighg said:

Who hands their cat to a friend to give a treat to?

There's a companion ad where the wife is calling her husband at the grocery store with an SOS that they need more STAT! 

These people are way too invested in giving their cats treats.

That is a truly stupid commercial, I agree.

However, Pixie and Lucy raise their eyebrows at the notion that anyone could be too invested in giving cats treats. I may be ruled by my furballs...

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2

I encourage my friends to give treats to my cats. They're shy (the cats, I mean) and it can help them to decide to hang out in the living room with us, instead of hiding out elsewhere, when my friends are at my place with me.

I have always thought that the animal welfare charities might do better by showing success stories so that people know that their donations may actually help. I think the dire images are not only horrible for people whose brains can't get rid of them (me) but make it seem like the problems are unfixable and never-ending.

ETA: speaking of ads and animal causes, I just saw this and laughed. I read it as if the pets are literally carried to safety IN those bags (not to mention, referring to shelter animals as just "shelters" is weird and adds to the confusion).

Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 10.08.07 AM.png

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 8
  • LOL 2
18 hours ago, lh25 said:

And for me, they are counter-productive.  I can't watch them, I have to mute or change the channel.  I know there are animals who are abused and neglected and it breaks my heart.  Esp now, we had to say goodbye to of our beloved kitties in August.  But I can't watch it, and the commercials are so long.

Same here. I absolutely cannot stand anything with sad or suffering animals — commercials, books, movies, songs, photos. Doesn’t matter. Any time one of those commercials starts, I (of my husband) will immediately change the channel. We’re big on rescue and are supportive of good animal organizations but I would pay them to stop those ads, because they will haunt me until I die. (No exaggeration — there are stories from my childhood that still pop, unbidden, into my brain).

• Like 7
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, AgathaC said:

Same here. I absolutely cannot stand anything with sad or suffering animals — commercials, books, movies, songs, photos. Doesn’t matter. Any time one of those commercials starts, I (of my husband) will immediately change the channel. We’re big on rescue and are supportive of good animal organizations but I would pay them to stop those ads, because they will haunt me until I die. (No exaggeration — there are stories from my childhood that still pop, unbidden, into my brain).

I'm the same. Maybe we should start a Go Fund Me to get rid of those forever. I, like you am haunted by images like that.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 2
On 10/5/2023 at 9:43 PM, TattleTeeny said:

Why is this Dr. Z just loitering around in the laundry aisle in the All Free & Clear commercial? And why is she kind of smug when the 2 women say that they love her*? And they barely finish saying that the (their?) daughter has sensitive skin before Dr. Z just shoves a jug at them. 

*And why do they love her anyway?

Every time I see it, I think she's that woman from a candid reality show who pops pimples and abscesses open, which makes me wonder why she's loitering in the laundry detergent aisle.

• LOL 3
On 10/5/2023 at 9:22 AM, mmecorday said:

I love animals. I always have. But the ASPCA ads are too much. I don't need a T-shirt to show that I care for animals. You don't donate to a cause to show what a great person you are. You do it because it's the right thing to do. 

I'm sure there are people out there who want to show off what good people there are, but I think the "free gifts" are more for people who won't donate unless they get something in return. Or for people who wouldn't just donate money but would be happy to buy a product.

4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm the same. Maybe we should start a Go Fund Me to get rid of those forever. I, like you am haunted by images like that.

I kind of feel like this is the reaction they want, though. Maybe they think that if they showed success stories, then people would feel like enough is being done and they don't need to contribute. (They could do what the children's hospitals do, though, and show sickly kids and show them getting better. They could even get a spokesdog named Alec.)

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
On 10/6/2023 at 10:40 AM, mmecorday said:

I really hate the commercial for No. 7 skincare with the two ladies reflecting on their misspent youth when they used to fall asleep with a face full of makeup or, even worse, wash off their makeup with soap (their poor dry faces!). I'm not sure why I dislike it so. Possibly because it's on all the time on every channel I watch. 

I hate that commercial too.  I simply cannot see falling asleep with makeup on as one of the great horrors of my past.  While it is not particularly good for your skin, it is not the equivalent of third degree burns.  Bring it down, No. 7 people!

2 hours ago, janie jones said:

I kind of feel like this is the reaction they want, though. Maybe they think that if they showed success stories, then people would feel like enough is being done and they don't need to contribute. (They could do what the children's hospitals do, though, and show sickly kids and show them getting better. They could even get a spokesdog named Alec.)

The shelter pet project used to do really cute ads encouraging adoption.  I volunteered at a shelter, and people often mentioned those ads when they came it to look for a pet.  The ads focused on how happy the dogs and cats were to be adopted. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
On 10/6/2023 at 3:52 PM, lh25 said:

And for me, they are counter-productive.  I can't watch them, I have to mute or change the channel.  I know there are animals who are abused and neglected and it breaks my heart.  Esp now, we had to say goodbye to of our beloved kitties in August.  But I can't watch it, and the commercials are so long.

I can't watch those either. I can't stand to see animals that are hurt or abused in commercials, TV shows or movies. I switch channels too. I can't watch St. Jude commercials either. I can't handle seeing kids sick and being told 1-5 kids won't survive. They've gotten even harder to watch now they've added two commericals of a kid that died of cancer.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Like 3
  • Love 4
On 10/6/2023 at 4:52 PM, lh25 said:

And ASPCA isn't a no-kill shelter, so some of those animals are going to their deaths.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 6
On 10/6/2023 at 6:02 PM, marceline said:

My new least favorite commercial. I see this constantly on Pluto TV and it grates my nerves. This doesn't seem like normal human conversation in any way.

The commercial is annoying AF, but as a cat owner, I tell all my fellow cat owners to buy this stuff. My cat is chill as heck (she's 13), but she just goes nuts for these! We call them Squeezy Meat at our house. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
7 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

And ASPCA isn't a no-kill shelter,

They may abuse this policy, I don't know as I've never investigated, but in theory I have no objection to their stance on euthanasia as there are indeed existences that are worse than death:

The ASPCA does not euthanize animals simply due to being returned, space constraints, or lack of housing options. We have extensive programs in place to find appropriate adoption or placement options for the animals in our care while also recognizing that we have the responsibility to make the best decisions for each animal and the community in which we live, particularly in cases involving severe behavior or medical issues or dogs deemed dangerous under applicable law. Euthanasia must be understood for what it is: a last step to spare animals from further hardship and suffering, and in some cases, to ensure the safety of the community.

But I agree with the posts about their commercials; people need to be confronted with how extreme and excessive cases of animal abuse and abandonment are, sure, but they should include some happy endings for Pete's sake! 

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 3
6 hours ago, amykay9377 said:

The commercial is annoying AF, but as a cat owner, I tell all my fellow cat owners to buy this stuff. My cat is chill as heck (she's 13), but she just goes nuts for these! We call them Squeezy Meat at our house. 

We call them tuna ooze and my kitties love them, as well.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

Oak Street Health has a new commercial out touting their senior healthcare, this one with a guy who does dance moves on his way into the office, dances in his chair while in the waiting room, and does a floor show with the healthcare employees 🙄🙄🙄

If I saw somebody dancing in their chair in the doctor's waiting room, I'd be giving them a WIDE berth.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
17 minutes ago, littlebennysmom said:

Oak Street Health has a new commercial out touting their senior healthcare, this one with a guy who does dance moves on his way into the office, dances in his chair while in the waiting room, and does a floor show with the healthcare employees 🙄🙄🙄

If I saw somebody dancing in their chair in the doctor's waiting room, I'd be giving them a WIDE berth.

Depends on how good they were.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 4

There's a SelectQuote commercial that I swear looks like the wife is planning to off her husband for the insurance money. She tells him innocently while holding their daughter in her lap that they need life insurance. He agrees and later she looks very happy when he tells her about his five hundred thousand dollar life insurance policy. Watch your back dude.

• Like 1
  • LOL 11

I finally saw and heard the entire Reese's and Kit Kat Halloween ad.  I didn't get annoyed, irritated or outraged.  I thought the Halloween home lady could have had on a better Halloween outfit or answer the door in costume.

• Like 1

I get the opinion that the woman that answers the door is put off by how grabby the two boys are, while the girl waits quietly for her turn, and is thereby rewarded with an extra candy for costume (and good manners). 

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
18 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

But that's what kids do--grab the candy.  I think the woman is a Halloween Bitch.

Not the kids who come to my house! They open their bags and say trick or treat. I either put candy in or tell them they can take what they want. The woman in the commercial was rewarding creativity.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
3 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Not the kids who come to my house! They open their bags and say trick or treat. I either put candy in or tell them they can take what they want. The woman in the commercial was rewarding creativity.

They did at my house.  That's why I don't give out Halloween candy any more.  I'm out after 5 kids.  I mean after 5 teenagers.  There was none left for the actual kids who came.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 3
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, scarletine said:

I get the opinion that the woman that answers the door is put off by how grabby the two boys are, while the girl waits quietly for her turn, and is thereby rewarded with an extra candy for costume (and good manners). 

I didn't get that out of the commercial at all.  My take was definitely that the girl got more candy solely because of her costume.

1 minute ago, chessiegal said:

The woman in the commercial was rewarding creativity.

That was creativity?  Not really.  That costume was okay but not great and certainly not creative.

I don't mind the commercial but am not that fond of it either.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

But that's what kids do--grab the candy.  I think the woman is a Halloween Bitch.

Better than a yogurt bitch! 

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I disagree. I thought the little girl's  costume was the lame. 

• Like 4
6 hours ago, dleighg said:

I hate watching this idiot blow out the candles on (I mean SPIT ALL OVER) the birthday cake.

After what we've been through the last three years, it REALLY bugs me.

As long as you're not calling Jason Bateman the idiot, I agree!

• Like 4

I can't stand Marie Osmond anymore and not because she doesn't seem like a nice person but because every time she's in a new commercial she looks worse.

Today she's advertising Instaflex a joint supplement. I didn't recognize her. Only her voice.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
21 hours ago, Gharlane said:

If it were like the commercial, she'd be advertising two restaurants on that placard.

Getting sponsors for her costume?  Great idea!  That deserves an extra candy bar for ingenuity.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
On 10/11/2023 at 4:10 PM, peacheslatour said:

She might as well have been wearing something like this -

image.png.113de96d420837ffde2b9cb32eda6a95.png

Regardless of how annoying the commercial may or may not be, as a mom who has wrangled costumes for years, I can say that that kid’s costume was no slapdash last minute thing. It was pretty darn realistic. I think she had bar codes on the back. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 9/20/2023 at 1:05 PM, Shrek said:

How does the water not pour out when you open the little door to walk in? 

You have to drain the tub while sitting there and then you open the door.   You walk into the tub and then fill it after locking the door. 

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 12/16/2018 at 8:57 PM, Pickles said:

The perfume ads. Natalie Portman fighting and making up with someone. Defiantly asking the camera—what would you do for love? Embarrassing.

charlize Theron rising out of the pool and marching along. No thanks. 

julia Roberts and her many teeth smiling from ear to ear.

I can do without all of these women and their perfumes.

Agreed. The new D&G with Mrs. Bloom is unoriginal and insulting. Mr. Depps cringey guitar strumming. Ooo, such a man! All these ads geared to the lowest esceleon of the population. It's depressing. At least now we can also smell these idiots before we waste our time engaging with them. 

• LOL 1

Maybe someone more mathy can help me follow this information from a Downy commercial that says something like “every load of laundry can be worth up to $300.” Why is that number the upper limit? I could have 20 items that cost $150 each in there (I don’t)!

Maybe there’s a “based on average blah, blah…” disclaimer that I didn’t see. But even so, why not word the claim with “at least” instead of “up to” to leave more leeway in the interpretation?

• Like 1

Commercials with people screaming.  In addition to the Jacuzzi Bath Remodel commercial, now the Google Pixel phone commercial has a woman screaming in response to a proposal.  Not cool.  And really annoying.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
12 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Commercials with people screaming.  In addition to the Jacuzzi Bath Remodel commercial, now the Google Pixel phone commercial has a woman screaming in response to a proposal.  Not cool.  And really annoying.

Schwan's has changed its name to Yelloh and in one commercial they have a kid yelling.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, ebk57 said:

And the CGI bison bellowing at me about buffalo wings. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
2 hours ago, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

And the CGI bison bellowing at me about buffalo wings. 

I agree that's annoying.  But I'm talking about actual screaming.  The woman in the Jacuzzi commercial screams when she sees her new, prefect shower.  The woman in the phone commercial screams when the guy proposes.  If I'm not paying attention (and I try not to pay attention to commercials), I'm startled and a bit alarmed when I hear people suddenly screaming on my TV like they're being attacked or something. 

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I agree that's annoying.  But I'm talking about actual screaming.  The woman in the Jacuzzi commercial screams when she sees her new, prefect shower.  The woman in the phone commercial screams when the guy proposes.  If I'm not paying attention (and I try not to pay attention to commercials), I'm startled and a bit alarmed when I hear people suddenly screaming on my TV like they're being attacked or something. 

And then there are the women who feel they have to giggle after every sentence.

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

And then there are the women who feel they have to giggle after every sentence.

I hate that too!  And I hate the look women give the camera after they've just accomplished the most amazing feats of all:  dusting the furniture and mopping the floor.

• Like 3