Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, nokat said:

They'd have to have a dedicated line, or better yet a dedicated nut-free facility.

Yep, that is probably the main reason no nut free version. So many items one buys at the grocery are labeled "Made in a facility that also processes nuts" or some such wording to warn people with nut allergies. 

• Like 8
On 5/16/2023 at 1:41 PM, peacheslatour said:

The Wally World Straight Talk commercial "Did you ever notice that everything that follows 'no offense' is offensive?" And then he says some shit about paying too much for your wireless and the fake audience laughs uproariously. What a stupid commercial. Grr...

I was halfway napping and halfway watching a couple of reruns of Modern Family on a local channel.  This one came up once, sometimes twice, in each commercial break.  It’s not worth even a giggle, much less the laugh track to the supposed comedy show.  And the quasi-animation just screams “cheap production.”

• Like 7

13 hours ago

Dulcolax soft chews commercials out right annoy irritate and disgusts me specially  at meal times!

Also, I don't know if it's such a great idea to go on a bike ride after using Dulcolax. 

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 20

On 5/21/2023 at 4:50 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I was using GrubHub the other day to get something from Burger King. I noticed they say their plant-based Impossible burger is broiled on the same equipment the beef burgers are.

That was announced around the same time they came out.

5 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Also, I don't know if it's such a great idea to go on a bike ride after using Dulcolax. 

Or riding a roller coaster if you have IBS/Chrones' Disease.

• Like 6

I don't think this commercial that's now in circulation makes me angry or outrages, per say, but a woman is at a party or wedding reception when she laughs a little and falls to the ground, flopping around like a mermaid and says "So much for not getting wet down there!". Eww, yuck.

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 1
4 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

I don't think this commercial that's now in circulation makes me angry or outrages, per say, but a woman is at a party or wedding reception when she laughs a little and falls to the ground, flopping around like a mermaid and says "So much for not getting wet down there!". Eww, yuck.

She sneezes just before she goes into her fish routine. I guess the sneeze was supposed to have made her wet herself? Still a big YUCK!

• Like 11
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

She sneezes just before she goes into her fish routine. I guess the sneeze was supposed to have made her wet herself? Still a big YUCK!

It's a commercial for Poise pads, so yeah,  the sneeze caused bladder leakage. 

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Which happens, so a friend told me.

That commercial makes me chuckle. I am a sucker for slapstick.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Speaking of women of a certain age falling down, there's a pharma drug ad out now that compares post-menopausal women to porcelain dolls, of which one in two falls down and breaks bones.  It starts out with a blonde-haired gal in a little black lace dress dancing with a man.  The dancing is moronic but after the spiel, the woman smiles at the camera and she looks like a psycho nut you'd see on an episode of Deadly Women.  It's annoying and creepy at the same time.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

LOL, yeah, I've seen that commercial. I said to my mom afterward something like, "And of course they needed to show these dolls falling over and breaking, just in case we didn't get the point clearly enough." 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Your right, she sneezed. I am probably thinking of another incontinence commercial. 

11 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Which happens, so a friend told me.

You're friends with a mermaid? 😉

10 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Speaking of women of a certain age falling down, there's a pharma drug ad out now that compares post-menopausal women to porcelain dolls, of which one in two falls down and breaks bones.  It starts out with a blonde-haired gal in a little black lace dress dancing with a man.  The dancing is moronic but after the spiel, the woman smiles at the camera and she looks like a psycho nut you'd see on an episode of Deadly Women.  It's annoying and creepy at the same time.

Did any of those creepy porcelain dolls break when they fell?

22 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

Your right, she sneezed. I am probably thinking of another incontinence commercial. 

You're friends with a mermaid? 😉

Did any of those creepy porcelain dolls break when they fell?

I don't recall any broken dolls.  What's creepy is the way the woman smiles at the end.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

the woman smiles at the camera and she looks like a psycho nut you'd see on an episode of Deadly Women.  It's annoying and creepy at the same time.

There's a cream cheese commercial that I have mentioned here before with a woman who slow-motion smiles while looking at her cute cat and chewing a bagel in a truly annoying fashion. 

• Like 2

I am building to an irrational hatred of Anthony Andersen.  Yes, diabetes is a serious disease.  Also, the commercial is too much.  Bludgeoning people is not helpful.  And either button up your shirt or make sure it lays right.  

Then, after telling us about how diabetes will kill you, he is on a commercial for alcohol.  Is he recommending that diabetics start with day drinking and keep going? Grrr.

• Like 15
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Than, after telling us about how diabetes will kill you, he is on a commercial for alcohol.  Is he recommending that diabetics start with day drinking and keep going? Grrr.

And I'm sorry, but I can't stand his mother in that commercial either.

• Like 11
16 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

There's a cream cheese commercial that I have mentioned here before with a woman who slow-motion smiles while looking at her cute cat and chewing a bagel in a truly annoying fashion. 

Yeah, I don't understand what that weird dreamy smile at her cat is supposed to convey.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

She's so rude to her cat!

• Like 2

Was the diabetes ad for the same company that had Paula Deen advertising for them?   The queen of deep fried butter was advertising for a diabetes treatment company while doing her show with foods that would hurt you.   I've read Anthony and his mother are going to have a reality show too. 

• Sad 1

Lindt chocolate is delightful (and if you have never had a hot chocolate made with a Lindt truffle you are missing out).  They honestly don’t even need advertising.

So why are their ads so terrible?  Every one is more annoying than the last.  Discount Alison Brie goggling at me while silently extolling the virtue of chocolate does not make me want to run to the store.

• Like 7

This commercial for Smoothie Bowls freaks me out. This guy is sitting on a park bench eating a burger, which apparently qualifies as a "gut bomb." So he lifts up his shirt to reveal an actual fuse coming out of his navel while his stomach blows up like an Alien is about to explode out of him.

Just . . . yuck.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Applause 1
(edited)

I know that many people here are annoyed, irritated, and/or outright enraged by the commercials about becoming your parents when you buy a home, but that elevator one makes me laugh, especially when he’s facing the wrong way and looking so pleased to be there.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 9
3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

commercials about becoming your parents when you buy a home,

I actually enjoy those Progressive (?) Insurance commercials. I am the parent of whom they speak. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 6

Has anyone here seen an ad in which a guy pulls the fire alarm in an apartment building?  No idea what it's for + the TV is on mute for ads. But a woman who's in a tub shows exasperation and starts getting out of the tub. Then we see people going down several flights of stairs. What are advertising folks thinking to show something as irresponsible as pulling a fire alarm when there's no fire?

• Like 3
On 5/22/2023 at 9:39 PM, proserpina65 said:

Wait, mermaids turn back if they get wet from that? Does it happen if they start to sweat? 🤔

• LOL 5

🎶 Hungry Root came through 🎵

It’s back. The woman says and then demonstrates that she’s “going to open a boXXX.” Too much exaggerated emphasis on the X. Drives me nuts. And the jungle. Ugh. Mute. Mute. And more mute. 

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)

Hungry Root is the WORST home delivery service!! I tried it a few years ago and after 2 shipments cancelled. They are located in CA, I live in MT. They ship FedEx. My boxes with perishable foods shipped from CA and instead of to me it went to Memphis TN where it sat days. FedEx hub is in Memphis so everything going East goes there first. Then back to me in MT. By the time the box got to me 4 days, later all the ice packs were melted and I had to throw away all the perishable food. They did refund for that shipment so I tried once more but same thing happened.Cancelled and it turned me off to any home delivery food plan. 

So Hungry Root can take their box and toss it!!!

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 4
  • Useful 3
7 hours ago, Glitches said:

It’s back. The woman says and then demonstrates that she’s “going to open a boXXX.” Too much exaggerated emphasis on the X. Drives me nuts. And the jungle. Ugh. Mute. Mute. And more mute. 

Is that the one where the lady is "slicing" open a box that's already open?

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
9 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Is that the one where the lady is "slicing" open a box that's already open?

Yep; I can't find the original, but here's a compilation one including that scene of hers which came out soon after:

All that plastic packaging makes me cringe.

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1

I have come to hate patriotic Kenny and Amanda.  Kenny's scooter breaks and he's depressed.  OK so far.  Obviously his ability to go out is limited which would get him down.  But Amanda says she posted about it on TikTok because she wants people to know he's not always happy.  Wow, Kenny's not always happy.  Guess what?  No one is always happy.  She posted because he needed money for a new scooter.  That's it.  Not to show that sometimes he's not happy.   

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
(edited)
22 hours ago, Gharlane said:

Wait, mermaids turn back if they get wet from that? Does it happen if they start to sweat? 🤔

Did you ever see Splash?

Speaking of commercials back in rotation, dead eyed smoker Amanda is back, talking about her baby in the NICU.

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
(edited)
On 5/27/2023 at 5:53 PM, Glitches said:

I'm amazed that we're still seeing pandemic era, zoom/facetime style commercials. I don't understand why these companies haven't updated but even when some of them produce new ones they still use the old style. *waves to Lume*

My new most hated commercial is "Betty the Barcode Beat Conductor" for Zyrtec. Does Zyrtec also contain cocaine? Because that's the vibe I get.

Edited by marceline
  • Like 5
  • LOL 6
(edited)
3 hours ago, marceline said:

I'm amazed that we're still seeing pandemic era, zoom/facetime style commercials. I don't understand why these companies haven't updated but even when some of them produce new ones they still use the old style.

Update to non-Zoom/in person, you mean? I think remote office stuff is still in play—tons of us haven’t been in an office since 2020 (and I’ve had 2 jobs since then; I don’t plan on going back to an office, if I can avoid it). 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 5
2 hours ago, marceline said:

I'm amazed that we're still seeing pandemic era, zoom/facetime style commercials. I don't understand why these companies haven't updated but even when some of them produce new ones they still use the old style. *waves to Lume*

I think some of them are supposed to look like TikToks/influencer videos made on people's phones.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
6 hours ago, Haleth said:

Did you ever see Splash?

Speaking of commercials back in rotation, dead eyed smoker Amanda is back, talking about her baby in the NICU.

Shove your dead-eyed face into the opening to ensure your child has PTSD.  They could make a horror movie based on Amanda's face in the opening.

1 hour ago, jennifer6973 said:

Wouldn't that baby be 20 by now?

The soulless husk of that child would be. I am convinced Amanda sucks the soul out of everyone she gets near. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

The moronic commercials for Papa John's disgusting looking papadia (pizza and Doritos smushed together) with the DJ Khaled saying, "I made that!!"

Dude, you may want to keep that on the downlow, it's nothing to be proud of.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 8