Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 9/25/2018 at 1:47 PM, ShutUpLutz said:

Yes!! Okay, maybe not to you're being a terrible person. But how the hell does the blind guy know where to turn?!? Is he one of those kind of but not really blind people like Stevie Wonder? (And no, I'm not demeaning Stevie Wonder or blind people, but it's been a "thing" on the Net the last few years that Wonder isn't really blind. He has said in interviews in the 1980's that he can see vague shadows and shapes, don't know if that has gotten worse over the years.

There are varying degrees of blindness, from legally blind (20/200 eyesight) to total blindness (no vision at all). Someone who can see shadows or colors or vague shapes or has tunnel vision with no peripheral vision is no less "blind" than someone who is total. I work for a guide dog school, and I have several friends with different degrees of visual impairment. They would find it insulting to be told they're "kind of but not really blind."

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 12
On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:30 PM, jcbrown said:

I did not think the Ruby Tuesday commercials with Rachael Dratch could get worse. I was wrong. The new one with her as a bad lounge singer aired about ten million times today. Can't hit mute fast enough.

Is that who that is? I started to see that ad over the weekend and I have a hard time understanding what she's saying. Something about $3 entries with their salad bar?

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:49 PM, bilgistic said:

I keep seeing the insipid commercial for this new show, New Amsterdam. The new hospital administrator(?) (don't know, don't care) that the show is about is having a meeting in a surgical theater(?) (there are bleachers(?)) and asks the surgeons to raise their hands. They do, and he says, "You're all fired." The commercial has come on SO MANY TIMES that I refuse to watch the show just out of spite.

If memory serves, he asked people to raise their hands if they thought getting the hospital's bills paid is more important than having fun healing people and firing them. *rolls eyes*

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:27 PM, bilgistic said:

Screenshot_20180926-202238_crop_542x393.png.ee1fc21eccc18126c3bc81a73d73adfd.png

Which one is the actor?

• Love 3

Watching Sunday Night Football yesterday and I see an ad for some car company where their line of cars is playing tag.  TAG with moving vehicles. All I could wonder was how long it will be until some assholes try this IRL.  "You get a fender-bender and YOU get a fender-bender...everyone gets a fender-bender!"

• Love 10
1 hour ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Watching Sunday Night Football yesterday and I see an ad for some car company where their line of cars is playing tag.

That ad doesn't make sense to me because after showing the cars chasing each other around a small area there's a tag line about going places.

3 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:
On 9/23/2018 at 10:30 PM, jcbrown said:

I did not think the Ruby Tuesday commercials with Rachael Dratch could get worse. I was wrong. The new one with her as a bad lounge singer aired about ten million times today. Can't hit mute fast enough.

Is that who that is? I started to see that ad over the weekend and I have a hard time understanding what she's saying. Something about $3 entries with their salad bar?

From SNL to Ruby  Tuesdays ads--how sad.  Enh the only thing I remember from her was the Debbie Downer skits.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/cast/rachel-dratch-15376

3 hours ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Watching Sunday Night Football yesterday and I see an ad for some car company where their line of cars is playing tag.  TAG with moving vehicles. All I could wonder was how long it will be until some assholes try this IRL.  "You get a fender-bender and YOU get a fender-bender...everyone gets a fender-bender!"

I swear this was a thing in the 1980's and there was a car commercial with people playing car-tag in it.

On 9/28/2018 at 1:20 PM, tanyak said:

I looked them up. I guess their family has owned a fishing boat for years. And now they have a clothing line called Salmon Sisters. But I can't tell if they actually still fish. I find it hard to believe they go out for days or weeks on a fishing boat, but maybe they do.

I love, love scrapple, so I've been skipping over the posts that describe it in detail. lol You can get small loaves in local grocery stores down here. I don't buy it because my husband and son aren't really into it, but when we go to my parents' house, they always cook it for me.  So.good.

Well, you learn something new every day! 

I just assumed they sold mail-order smoked salmon.

On 9/30/2018 at 2:56 PM, mmecorday said:

Guy on Colonial Penn commercial: "It's a little something I've done every night since I was a kid."

Me: "Please, go no further."

Same as every other post-pubescent male.  

• Love 2
On 2018-09-25 at 10:49 PM, bilgistic said:

I keep seeing the insipid commercial for this new show, New Amsterdam. The new hospital administrator(?) (don't know, don't care) that the show is about is having a meeting in a surgical theater(?) (there are bleachers(?)) and asks the surgeons to raise their hands. They do, and he says, "You're all fired." The commercial has come on SO MANY TIMES that I refuse to watch the show just out of spite.

The generically handsome white male doctor is going to turn this hospital around! Spare me.

i fucking HATE that commercial, and by extension, that show!  i want somebody to punch that sanctimonious douche in his holier-than-thou throat.  in fact i'm pretty sick of that general type of show really - focused on some totally awesome, in control, self-assured perfect leader person who always makes the correct most profound decisions...bullshit

• Love 12

Rachel Dratch was also the original Jenna on 30 Rock (unaired first pilot), but she was replaced (reportedly at NBC's behest) by Jane Krakowski.

And I agree with @SmithW6079 that there's nothing shameful or sad about any actor doing a commercial. It's a job, and an extremely well-paying one.

• Love 7
49 minutes ago, Rinaldo said:

Rachel Dratch was also the original Jenna on 30 Rock (unaired first pilot), but she was replaced (reportedly at NBC's behest) by Jane Krakowski.

And I agree with @SmithW6079 that there's nothing shameful or sad about any actor doing a commercial. It's a job, and an extremely well-paying one.

She annoys the hell out of me. Always has.

• Love 6
On September 19, 2018 at 9:17 PM, chenoa333 said:

On September 19, 2018 at 8:11 PM, Jaded said:

Apparently this Life Alert one is from 2014. They've brought it back with that obnoxious "warning" at the beginning.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/dIPq/life-alert-laundry

I HATE these Life Alert commercials! Here's some "insider" info. I used to work at an alarm monitoring center (fire, burglary and medical). Whenever a medical alert  came in to the call center, NONE of the younger (under 30) call reps wanted to take those calls. They let the call sit in the queue until someone (who actually cared) would take the call. Fire alarms were always top priority, then medical and burglar alarms. We had one young guy who walked off the job after having to take a medical alert call and he just said " i hate fucking old people". I hope that kid ends up in hospice before he's 45.  

This commercial shows what happens to people who are wearing the alert button around their necks!

Every time I see this commercial I get stabby, angry, and wish I could sue someone. 

Everytime I see and hear the woman whimpering for help, unable to get up, I picture my mother laying on the floor for 10 hours with one of these devices around her neck, trying to push herself up and in the process scraping her knee to the bone. This happened more than once, although my mother didn't injure herself the other times—just the fall did. She just lay on the floor for hours with no one answering the alert! Later they were full of excuses for why no one came.

My elderly mother has been required to wear one of these devices as a condition of being in assisted living facilities for the past 3 years as her Parkinson's has progressed. I always pictured my mom coming to live with me when my dad died, but I had stage IV cancer when he died and still have a hernia and a bad shoulder so cannot lift my mother, who can no longer walk.

• Love 14

So sorry @shapeshifter,

My Mom and I used to wonder how the police or firemen got into the houses of the people who needed life alert services especially if no door was open or key hidden outside. We always said it would get expensive if they had to break down the door or force their way in by some other method.

• Love 7

Thank you, @Brattinella, @Annber03, and @Jaded. My sister wanted sole power of attorney, so I let her handle things. My mom no longer tries to get herself up--she can't even sit herself up--so she's not likely to fall anymore. Her last fall was last Christmas--and it was not handled appropriately either. Sorry to rant, but I bet the video of the woman calling for help in that commercial is someone who was wearing the alert button--which makes me mad that they are using it to try to get people to buy the device. I really appreciate @chenoa333's post above.

Thank goodness for FaceTime. I live a thousand miles away, but am able to show my mom flowers and other things for a few minutes most days that make her almost smile.

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Thank goodness for FaceTime. I live a thousand miles away, but am able to show my mom flowers and other things for a few minutes most days that make her almost smile.

That's lovely :). I'm glad you can still find a way to connect and communicate with each other. 

I feel for you and your mom so much. Sending good wishes and thoughts your way. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Jaded said:

So sorry @shapeshifter,

My Mom and I used to wonder how the police or firemen got into the houses of the people who needed life alert services especially if no door was open or key hidden outside. We always said it would get expensive if they had to break down the door or force their way in by some other method.

That's why when I was laid up with a broken ankle, I backed a smart lock on Kickstarter.

Now I'm looking for a *good* smart lock - the KS one shipped, but it over-promised and under-delivered.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Jaded said:

A lot of towns offer a key safe ("lockbox") program for the elderly, like this one: "The lockbox program provides a secure way for fire department personnel to access a key and enter a home when called to provide emergency assistance. Using a lockbox not only saves responders valuable time in providing medical care, but it also saves costly property repairs if emergency responders must force their way into the home." If your community doesn't offer this, it might be worthwhile contacting city hall. 

https://www.cityofelgin.org/853/Lock-Box-Program

• Love 2
On 9/26/2018 at 6:13 PM, peacheslatour said:

My parents tried making me eat scrapple one time. I said I was gonna throw up. They made me eat it anyway. I threw up. They never forced me to eat again. When my son was a kid the only rule we had was "Hey, this is what's for dinner, if you don't want it you may be excused." That's it. No dessert, nothing. He quickly learned to make peanut butter sandwiches and clean up afterwards. He could have that if he didn't want what we were having but he usually did cuz I don't make weird stuff. After all I was/am a picky eater too. Children have so little control over anything in their lives, letting them be in control of their food (even if it's just the illusion) is a good thing.

Gosh, I wish my mom had been like you :)

• Love 2
On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:13 PM, peacheslatour said:

After all I was/am a picky eater too. Children have so little control over anything in their lives, letting them be in control of their food (even if it's just the illusion) is a good thing.

The good thing about this sort of policy is, when eating out, you can encourage kids to try different things, but if they don't like it they aren't punished.  I would never have ordered anything I never had before, because if I didn't like it, I'd be forced to eat it anyway, which would lead to t huge fight.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

This commercial shows what happens to people who are wearing the alert button around their necks!

Every time I see this commercial I get stabby, angry, and wish I could sue someone. 

Everytime I see and hear the woman whimpering for help, unable to get up, I picture my mother laying on the floor for 10 hours with one of these devices around her neck, trying to push herself up and in the process scraping her knee to the bone. This happened more than once, although my mother didn't injure herself the other times—just the fall did. She just lay on the floor for hours with no one answering the alert! Later they were full of excuses for why no one came.

My elderly mother has been required to wear one of these devices as a condition of being in assisted living facilities for the past 3 years as her Parkinson's has progressed. I always pictured my mom coming to live with me when my dad died, but I had stage IV cancer when he died and still have a hernia and a bad shoulder so cannot lift my mother, who can no longer walk.

My Grammy had something similar to Life Alert, but connected through the local hospital.  They were really good - the house got hit by lightning and she didn't realize that it blew the box.  She went and clicked the button (which she was required to do daily as a check-in) but didn't notice the little green light was off.  When the hospital didn't receive her check-in, they tried to talk to her over the box and got no response (obviously).  So they called my dad and asked if they should send an ambulance.  He said not yet, and went to check on her and all was well, but we were impressed.  But they're not foolproof.  When Grammy had her stroke, she fell in her bedroom while trying to change after having a bathroom accident (the worst kind - not pee).  When she fell. she knocked the door mostly closed.  She laid on the floor for about 8-ish hours, in and out of consciousness.  She pushed the button a few times, but it didn't connect with the box because of where she was laying for some reason.  Something was interfering with the signal.  Finally, she managed to move a little bit and push again.  She heard them talking through the box and she said she talked back but they didn't hear her.  Because she pushed the button and didn't respond, the ambulance came.  They had a hard time getting in to her bedroom because she was still behind the door.  She never went back home.  She was sent to a nursing rehab, and then to assisted living, as they discovered she had Alzheimer's.  Don't get me wrong - I am grateful for everything they did and people should have them if they're needed, but they're not 100% foolproof.

ETA: she fell after her daily check in, which didn't help matters any.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Tom Holmberg said:

The good thing about this sort of policy is, when eating out, you can encourage kids to try different things, but if they don't like it they aren't punished.  I would never have ordered anything I never had before, because if I didn't like it, I'd be forced to eat it anyway, which would lead to t huge fight.

That's terrible. Forcing children to eat things they hate can lead to lifelong eating disorders.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, funky-rat said:

She laid on the floor for about 8-ish hours, in and out of consciousness

Just like my mom—both of them with the Life-Alert-type device! Both of them just like the woman in the Life Alert commercial who probably also has the device! And they always have excuses for why it didn't work, but really:

ON SEPTEMBER 19, 2018 AT 9:17 PM, CHENOA333 SAID:

I HATE these Life Alert commercials! Here's some "insider" info. I used to work at an alarm monitoring center (fire, burglary and medical). Whenever a medical alert came in to the call center, NONE of the younger (under 30) call reps wanted to take those calls. They let the call sit in the queue until someone (who actually cared) would take the call. Fire alarms were always top priority, then medical and burglar alarms. We had one young guy who walked off the job after having to take a medical alert call and he just said " i hate fucking old people". I hope that kid ends up in hospice before he's 45. 

• Love 6

Don't know the name of the prescription medicine, but there's a commercial for an eczema medication that talks about how itchy one feels and then goes on to show creepy crawly things all over one's skin, like ants.  I really didn't need the visual--I understand feeling itchy.  Could I talk with the person(s) who created this ad?  Perhaps they don't understand the concepts of nauseating and irritating, and I could demonstrate that for them.

• Love 10
On 2018-09-26 at 6:13 PM, peacheslatour said:

My parents tried making me eat scrapple one time. I said I was gonna throw up. They made me eat it anyway. I threw up. 

I had never heard of scrapple.  Looked it up.  You were right!  ?

• Love 3

I mute the Cricket commercial with the giant fuzzball smiley face that can’t carry a tune . 

Also, Liberty Mutual’s”Liberty, Liberty,Liberty.....Liberty”. I do appreciate the school bus yellow background though so I can grab my remote and miss the jingle. Thanks, Liberty.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, olivia1 said:

I mute the Cricket commercial with the giant fuzzball smiley face that can’t carry a tune . 

Also, Liberty Mutual’s”Liberty, Liberty,Liberty.....Liberty”. I do appreciate the school bus yellow background though so I can grab my remote and miss the jingle. Thanks, Liberty.

Yep, there is also a low buzz right before the terrible "music" they use in the gawdawful Twizzlers commercial. Boom MUTE!

• Love 6
On 9/30/2018 at 10:34 AM, chenoa333 said:

I'll bet LOTS of men turned down the offer to be in THAT commercial! I can only imagine being an aspiring out of work actor and FINALLY, you get the call from your agent telling you they've got a job for you and it's going to be seen nationwide; as the man with the curved penis. Who may or may not have genital gangrene! Lol! 

That reminds me of one of my favorite stories on how celebrities can be unexpected dicks. Jasmine Guy, who is probably best know for playing snotty snob Whitley on A Different World. She was on a red carpet for something and the "reporter" asked her about some endorsement deal she had gotten and Guy yammered on for a minute with the usual bullshit. then the reporter asked if there was a product Guy wouldn't endorse. Guy got this hateful "Ewwwwwwww GROSS!!!!" Look on her face and said in the most spiteful 8th grade girl voice imaginable, "Douche." Just the way she said it and her facial expression have stayed with me all these years later.

• Love 3

I hate that new Pizza Hut commercial with the family watching a Steelers game with their jerseys on and the little girl starts acting crazy ripping the pizza box and it says “you know you are raising her right” ?it’s so stupid 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, ShutUpLutz said:

Guy got this hateful "Ewwwwwwww GROSS!!!!" Look on her face and said in the most spiteful 8th grade girl voice imaginable, "Douche."

Did that mean she wouldn't endorse that product, or was she calling the reporter that for asking the question? ;-)

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

Did that mean she wouldn't endorse that product, or was she calling the reporter that for asking the question? ;-)

The reporter asked her if there was a product she wouldn't endorse and Guy replied, "Douche," like Summers Eve. She clearly wasn't calling the reporter a douche for asking the question.

10 minutes ago, ShutUpLutz said:

The reporter asked her if there was a product she wouldn't endorse and Guy replied, "Douche," like Summers Eve. She clearly wasn't calling the reporter a douche for asking the question.

That's what I assumed, I was just being a little snarky.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

That's what I assumed, I was just being a little snarky.

Although given that Guy came across as a snot in real life, I wouldn't be surprised if f she HAD called the reporter a douche.

• Love 3