Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, ennui said:

Fear sells. If the Sunsetter folks could find the "fear" angle, they'd sell more retractable awnings. Forget using your back yard more often, buy an awning or you'll die.

If fear sold, there wouldn't be so many smokers saying the gross-out anti-smoking ads made them want to grab a cigarette out of spite.

• Love 8
19 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Heh. No, unfortunately. My guess is "new ad awarded by Nielsen that a company has to pay for the rights to mention", aka the JD Power business model. 

One of the other "awards" went to Toyota's ridiculous Prius ads that were out about a year ago, with the bank robbers driving a Prius to elude the law. So I question WTH these awards are supposed to celebrate. (the Prius ad series was Liberty Mutual stupid as well, IMO)

Yeah, I automatically was skeptical of the authenticity if the award, but if that gawdam bank robber ad got one, it's gotta be fake. #FakeAwards

• Love 2

I really hope the people who see the Lysol commercial that shows people licking food off of the countertop read the fine print/instructions that after using the product, you're supposed to then wipe the surface again with "potable water."

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I really hope the people who see the Lysol commercial that shows people licking food off of the countertop read the fine print/instructions that after using the product, you're supposed to then wipe the surface again with "potable water."

You just KNOW some won't, though.

• Love 2
On 4/12/2017 at 2:41 PM, cynicat said:

*small voice* I love my Varidesk and have had lots more energy now that I stand at work rather than sit.  That being said, it is hyperbolic to compare sitting at a desk to smoking.

In a perfect world we should all be able to sit and stand and walk and not be compelled to be in one position for any length of time. My years of (mostly) sitting (some standing ) in an office seem so much less damaging than my years cashiering and standing for 8-9 hours on a (tiled) concrete floor.  

• Love 10

Plastic bags usually warn, "This bag is NOT a toy."  

On packets of desiccant "Do Not Eat".

Haha! I always wonder exactly who those warnings are for; if you're old enough to read--and also not a dog or cat--you're probably not likely to do do the things that the warnings are about anyway. Sort of like how a sign in a store asking people not to steal is probably not going to change the minds of people who would in the first place.

I've always enjoyed the "UNPLUG IT!" on the hairdryer tag, in quotation marks as if it's an official slogan, and with no follow up; how can I dry my hair then?!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I saw a warning on a hair dryer not to use it while sleeping.  As if you could sleep through that racket.

Or the warning on a kid's Halloween costume: "Cape does not enable wearer to fly".

• Love 6

I saw a warning on a hair dryer not to use it while sleeping.  As if you could sleep through that racket.

There was a woman featured on "My Strange Addiction" who slept with her hair dryer while it was on.

Easily one of the grossest commercials I've seen in a long time. It's almost ad disgusting as the "Skittles Pox" kids.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Someone with poor hearing could actually be lulled to sleep by what they'd sense as white noise.

• Love 3

At the same time most of these nonsensical warnings are due to either existence of actual lawsuits or intended prevention thereof. It's not like the ad guys (or production team) think we're that dumb. It's that some actuary and/or lawyer knows someone is that dumb and if you literally tag it "don't do this moron thing, moron" then moron can't sue and say "how was I supposed to know wearing a cape would not enable me to fly?"

• Love 6
18 hours ago, Brattinella said:

On packets of desiccant "Do Not Eat".

That actually makes sense to me, since some of those packets are included with edibles, like candied popcorn and vitamins. 

I think the hair dryer warning must be for Ambien users. Isn't one of the side effects sleepwalking and doing odd stuff?

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, HoboClayton said:

This is a local commercial. Such rage. Over and over again. Constantly.  

Wow, this is real? Yes, that is pretty annoying (and scary).

Amazing that Jimmy McGill's commercial on Better Call Saul seems more real to me. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, SoSueMe said:

In a perfect world we should all be able to sit and stand and walk and not be compelled to be in one position for any length of time. My years of (mostly) sitting (some standing ) in an office seem so much less damaging than my years cashiering and standing for 8-9 hours on a (tiled) concrete floor.  

My husband has a job where he is not allowed to sit down at all during his 8-10 hour shift. Since he started this he has developed foot and leg swelling, foot pain and severe leg cramps. Moving around between sitting and standing seems more natural to a human being.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I saw the same warning on a curling iron.  Not to mention one that said "for external use only" to which I want to scream "Which one of you sick people made that necessary!!" 

• Love 16

I keep seeing this short infomercial for some sort of snake oil that reduces bags under the eyes that includes a "viral video" showing the product working, but I don't see the one eye bags shrinking that much faster than the other side, plus it looks like it's a time lapse clip. So annoying!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, OSM Mom said:

I saw the same warning on a curling iron.  Not to mention one that said "for external use only" to which I want to scream "Which one of you sick people made that necessary!!" 

The killer in Sleepaway Camp

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

I keep seeing this short infomercial for some sort of snake oil that reduces bags under the eyes that includes a "viral video" showing the product working, but I don't see the one eye bags shrinking that much faster than the other side, plus it looks like it's a time lapse clip. So annoying!

Do you know the name of the product?  Because there is ONE that does exactly what it claims.

• Love 1

Sudden Change Under-Eye Firming Serum (and no, I do not work for them!).  I have used it, and it works in 5 min.  You pat it on, one drop, and remain motionless for a couple minutes til it dries.  It is expensive for a little bottle, but you only use 1 drop at a time.

• Love 2
On 4/11/2017 at 9:09 PM, Ilovecomputers said:

Years ago my husband and I tried KFC's popcorn chicken--I think it had just been introduced. We got our dinner home , and the "popcorn" looked like the remnants of batter that had fallen off of fried chicken. We had a good laugh about it because we figured someone at KFC had just that idea--to market waste/remnants as crispy "popcorn" chicken.     They don't use the slogan "finger lickin' good" anymore, but when I was a little girl KFC seemed tastier. Maybe it's just me; we didn't eat out much and fast food seemed like a treat. 

Like you, when I was a kid we didn't eat out much at all, but every few months we had "choice night" on Friday.  All of us could choose what we wanted to eat, and yes my folks would drive all over town making those purchases, and mine was always KFC.  I loved it so much!  I haven't had it in years, but the last time I did (as an adult) it just didn't taste the same.

On 4/12/2017 at 1:41 PM, cynicat said:

*small voice* I love my Varidesk and have had lots more energy now that I stand at work rather than sit.  That being said, it is hyperbolic to compare sitting at a desk to smoking.

*also in small voice* I don't have a brand-name Varidesk, but something similar that's basically my screens and keyboard on a jointed arm.  So I can raise it when I'm doing computer work, and sit at my desk when doing desk work.  I try to stand for at least 4 hours a day and it's terrific.  More energy like you said, along with routine changes of position, being able to stretch out, etc.

• Love 4
On 4/13/2017 at 8:56 PM, SoSueMe said:

The tai-chi chick in the TDAmeritrade commercial gets on my last nerve. All of those "green room" spots are annoying but that woman really bugs me.

I cannot stand her. "And a I have a little vegan, so..." makes me crazy. Shut up, you ass. If you're that interested in your financial future, you'd tell the little vegan to make her own lunch or your other kid that you won't be staying for baseball practice today-- because, golly gee, everyone in the family has obligations and things they need to do and no one trumps the other-- but will be back for him later. I guess he'll be traumatized for life if he's not the center of attention at a baseball practice. My blood just boiled.

On 4/15/2017 at 0:04 AM, Brattinella said:

Sudden Change Under-Eye Firming Serum (and no, I do not work for them!).  I have used it, and it works in 5 min.  You pat it on, one drop, and remain motionless for a couple minutes til it dries.  It is expensive for a little bottle, but you only use 1 drop at a time.

Does it wear off after a time and need reapplication several times a day? I've often wondered about that.

The new "I want a hybrid car but it might not be for me" or whatever they say has me diving for the mute button. It gives me the same reaction that those out of tune, stupid, "morning win" commercials did. 

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

Does it wear off after a time and need reapplication several times a day? I've often wondered about that.

It lasts about 7-8 hours if you don't mess with it.  But it rinses off with plain water, easily re-applied. 

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

I cannot stand her. "And a I have a little vegan, so..." makes me crazy. Shut up, you ass. If you're that interested in your financial future, you'd tell the little vegan to make her own lunch or your other kid that you won't be staying for baseball practice today-- because, golly gee, everyone in the family has obligations and things they need to do and no one trumps the other-- but will be back for him later. I guess he'll be traumatized for life if he's not the center of attention at a baseball practice. My blood just boiled.

Fortune is temporary; family is eternal.  It's a question of priorities, and I personally would say that family obligations trump all else. But maybe that's just how I myself roll.  Others may roll differently.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1
On 4/11/2017 at 11:07 PM, friendperidot said:

I am not sure there's any chicken in the popcorn chicken at KFC, but I may have been known to order crumblings instead of fries at Long John Silver, there I only order chicken, I know, I'm weird but I like their chicken planks and I hate their fries.

I had an interesting conversation last month with the butcher at my local market. I was inquiring about organic chicken and at some point in our chatting he mentioned that the reason Kentucky Fried Chicken  is now called KFC, is due to the fact that those chickens are no longer even close to being a chicken due to all the crap they do to them...growth hormones, antibiotics and a plethora of disgusting things. 

Moving on to my latest most hated commercial: Myrbetric (i probably misspelled it) the "overactive bladder" commercial with the little pink cartoon character that is supposed to be a bladder holding hands with some real life woman who is doing something real important like conducting a high school marching band.

Apparently they cant march and play a tuba if she's running to the bathroom. So f'n stupid. 

Edited by chenoa333
Spelling
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

I had an interesting conversation last month with the butcher at my local market. I was inquiring about organic chicken and at some point in our chatting he mentioned that the reason Kentucky Fried Chicken  is now called KFC, is due to the fact that those chickens are no longer even close to being a chicken due to all the crap they do to them...growth hormones, antibiotics and a plethora of digusting things. 

According to snopes, it's because the Commonwealth of Kentucky was demanding licensing fees for the use of the state's name, and after a year of failed negotiations, the company changed their name.

http://www.snopes.com/lost/kfc.asp

• Love 13
4 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Fortune is temporary; family is eternal.  It's a question of priorities, and I personally would say that family obligations trump all else. But maybe that's just how I myself roll.  Others may roll differently.

I just can't stamp the word obligation on a baseball practice or consider asking the little vegan to make her own lunch so mom can attend a meeting an awful offense. These are activities that can be easily accomplished without mom so no one is deprived. One of the most important obligations parents have is to ensure security for their kids. That requires financial planning. If mom is too busy to tend to that because she feels missing baseball or making lunch would upend the emotions of the kids to a lasting degree, then they have more problems than what investments to choose.

• Love 10

That Myrabetric ad (I don't know how to spell it either) annoys me because they keep playing that same few bars, I know that bit repeats a lot during that part of the 1812 Overture, but they just keep doing it. And I don't believe I've ever seen a marching band perform the 1812 Overture, maybe it has been, but I've only heard it in concerts with full orchestra. It's really fun with the cannons and the bells, I've never heard it live with the choir also, but I have a recording that has choir, cannons and bells, it's wonderful!

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

According to snopes, it's because the Commonwealth of Kentucky was demanding licensing fees for the use of the state's name, and after a year of failed negotiations, the company changed their name.

The problem with that explanation is that you can't trademark a term that's been in common use for nearly 200 years and expect anyone to pay. There's a long list of companies who lost their ownership to a name after far less time.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, configdotsys said:

I just can't stamp the word obligation on a baseball practice or consider asking the little vegan to make her own lunch so mom can attend a meeting an awful offense. These are activities that can be easily accomplished without mom so no one is deprived. One of the most important obligations parents have is to ensure security for their kids. That requires financial planning. If mom is too busy to tend to that because she feels missing baseball or making lunch would upend the emotions of the kids to a lasting degree, then they have more problems than what investments to choose.

I guess it depends on where little Johnny is practicing baseball. At our Y, technically parents are supposed to stay for practice. As kids move up in age group, more parents leave to go in the facility or for a walk around the track. Parents aren't supposed to be 30 minutes away shopping or financial planning. lol I suppose club sports (where you pay a pretty penny) are different.

But yes, that's a very busy woman.

On 4/16/2017 at 2:26 PM, legaleagle53 said:

Well not all family. One half tried to kill me (not hyperbole), the other half all died before I was 35, so no, they're not all eternal. My retirement through work has lasted longer than my dad. 

I personally can't stand the Verizon vs. Sprint back and forth. Yeah, Verizon is way too expensive, and maybe Sprint covers 98 or 99% of the same area, but if your house happens to be in one of those areas then it kinda matters. 

• Love 9
15 hours ago, tanyak said:

Eh, you just take a camping chair and catch up on your magazines. Relaxing, really. lol 

Or, if you are lucky, one of the coaches is a fireman and you and the other moms can enjoy the scenery.  Ahem.

• Love 7
22 hours ago, OSM Mom said:

I thought they changed it because "fried" became synonymous with "unhealthy" and they didn't want that association. 

That was the rumor at the time, but the company said that it was because they were expanding their menu. 

• Love 1