Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I cannot take the women's razor commercial with the superhero(?) razor that has a razor for a head and a female body--including rather full breasts. It's disturbing and problematic on several levels.

• Love 7
On 4/2/2017 at 3:56 PM, MrSmith said:

Speaking of commercials you hate, I and my wife are personally especially hating the VW commercial that shows the couple having sex in the bug, then they have a kid, then they trade up to a four-door compact, then they have sex in the compact car, have another kid, then trade up to a sedan, then have sex in the sedan, have a third kid, and finally trade up to a VW SUV. We aren't prudes, but there's something about all of that that just really grinds our gears.

And I really feel sorry for the poor guys in the Detail Shop who have to clean up those cars they just traded in. Bet those seats have a unique layering of textures and aromas that will have to be steamed out.

• Love 10
17 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

While I loathe the commercial, there's a special place in hell for the guy with the red one. I swear he says he likes the "lemon" one cause it tastes "like berries." 

It was clearly "lemon" when I originally saw it on TV, but when I call up the ad on the net, he's saying"red". Probably an editing goof that got distributed before anyone noticed.

• Love 2

I normally like the Arby's commercials, but I'm hating the one to Bonnie Tyler's "I Need a Hero" song, mostly because when they cut in the announcer's voice to replace "hero," it sounds like he's saying "euro," not "gyro." Merriam-Webster gives  two alternate pronunciations of the sandwich: /YEE-roh/ and /ZHIHR-oh/.

(Also, the bearded guy in the Haribo commercial who says, "The red one is more gooder to me..." is tots adorbs.)

• Love 4

Regarding the commercial with the kid with the belt that screams, "Mom! We have a situation!" Is that kid not old enough to operate that belt? If not, why put that belt on the kid at all? Won't mom have to help him every time he has to go to the bathroom? 

Speaking as an adult who has, on occasion, been in a tremendous hurry and had trouble getting a much less complicated belt undone in time, I love this commercial because I can relate to it.

• Love 12
(edited)

The Johnsonville Breakfast Sausage commercial in which a fat oaf in a hunting get-up makes up a barely intelligible story about having an imaginary conversation with a bunch of animals he will probably kill later in the day.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 7
On 4/1/2017 at 4:30 PM, forumfish said:

I looked to see if we had a "Commercials that creep you out" topic, but didn't see one. This is not only irritating as all get-out, but the poorly-done mouths give me the heebie-jeebies.

Progressive has done it again.

I love those progressive ads!  They're either made by or are in the style of Robot Chicken from Adult Swim.  I hate Flo, but Robot Chicken is the bomb.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, millennium said:

The Johnsonville Breakfast Sausage commercial in which a fat oaf in a hunting get-up makes up a barely intelligible story about having an imaginary conversation with a bunch of animals he will probably kill later in the day.

I love that commercial and think it's adorable.

• Love 9
(edited)
7 hours ago, millennium said:

I thought so too but then I remembered when I used to visit my uncle's ranch. Even if you are not a hunter yourself you are encouraged to wear bright orange hunter's gear when you go into the woods so you don't get shot by people who are.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 6
On 3/6/2017 at 2:40 PM, wings707 said:

My name is Tony.......  Every fucking 15 minutes I see this add and the woman who talks through a tube with a grated voice and hideous deformity from cancer surgery.  Jesus fucking Christ!  ENOUGH!!  

Is that the (anti smoking?)commercial with the guy showing how he has to shave cause he has a hole in his throat to breathe? And the guy who has to take extra precautions to spray paint his house cause he has a hole in his throat as well?

Hey anti-smoking crusaders....people are going to do what they want to do if they're addicted. Whether it's cigs, booze, meth, oxycontin, gambling, sex, shopping. So take your hideous tv ads and shove 'em. You gross me out. 

• Love 10

This is just mildly annoying but it does wear on me. There are some commercials that presume that you know who they are and what they do. I have half a brain and can usually figure it out, but why the heck should I have to? The one that really bugs me is "those who know, call BDO".  So I have to google to learn they're accountants? Plus, the commercials are pretty lame.

I notice that at least one Humira commercial has stopped referring to "biologics" (sorry, I've been lucky and never needed a biologic, whatever that is) and is calling them medications now, it's a start.

12 hours ago, millennium said:

You've got a point about the hunting but I push that to the back of my mind and just enjoy the goofiness.

FWIW, I struggle with being a carnivore and my place on the food chain. 

• Love 4
On 3/27/2017 at 3:06 PM, Jaded said:

I tried to check a few of Liberty Mutual's commercials on ispot.tv and got the message that they had been removed at the advertisers request. 

Do you suppose it was because of comments?

46 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Is that the (anti smoking?)commercial with the guy showing how he has to shave cause he has a hole in his throat to breathe? And the guy who has to take extra precautions to spray paint his house cause he has a hole in his throat as well?

Hey anti-smoking crusaders....people are going to do what they want to do if they're addicted. Whether it's cigs, booze, meth, oxycontin, gambling, sex, shopping. So take your hideous tv ads and shove 'em. You gross me out. 

First of all, who the heck spray paints his house?

And second, HALLELUJAH!  I hate, hate, hate watching the NY networks because apparently the state is pouring endless amounts of money into these ad campaigns.  All they do is make people who don't smoke want to barf, and people who do reach for another cigarette in defiance of the other-the-top preaching.  Good job, NY Council for Self-Righteousness or whatever your real name is.

• Love 14
14 minutes ago, Aquarius said:

And second, HALLELUJAH!  I hate, hate, hate watching the NY networks because apparently the state is pouring endless amounts of money into these ad campaigns.  All they do is make people who don't smoke want to barf, and people who do reach for another cigarette in defiance of the other-the-top preaching.  Good job, NY Council for Self-Righteousness or whatever your real name is.

Truly.  Our local ads are paid for by that HUGE tobacco settlement a few years back.  It never seems to run out. :(

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, Aquarius said:

If you mean using a can of spray paint, the answer is probably no one.  But if you mean using a paint sprayer, the answer is lots of people.  So I assume the guy in the commercial being discussed is using a paint sprayer, but now I'm having quite an inappropriate burst of laughter picturing some guy covering the hole in his throat while he sprays graffiti on his own house.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, SoSueMe said:

You've got a point about the hunting but I push that to the back of my mind and just enjoy the goofiness.

FWIW, I struggle with being a carnivore and my place on the food chain. 

It's not so much the hunting as the guy droning like Tom Cullen from The Stand.   When you see the commercial 2-3 times an hour, it starts to wear on you.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I thought the guy in the Johnsonville was camping, not hunting.  No?

I thought so too - more like he was "becoming one with nature". His line about "we all had a good laugh about that" cracks me up.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Aquarius said:

It's not the state of New York, we get them in California, too.

The Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement (MSA) was entered in November 1998, originally between the four largest United States tobacco companies (Philip Morris Inc., R. J. Reynolds, Brown & Williamson and Lorillard – the "original participating manufacturers", referred to as the "Majors") and the attorneys general of 46 states. The states settled their Medicaid lawsuits against the tobacco industry for recovery of their tobacco-related health-care costs, and also exempted the companies from private tort liability regarding harm caused by tobacco use.[1]:25 In exchange, the companies agreed to curtail or cease certain tobacco marketing practices, as well as to pay, in perpetuity, various annual payments to the states to compensate them for some of the medical costs of caring for persons with smoking-related illnesses. The money also funds a new anti-smoking advocacy group, called the American Legacy Foundation, that is responsible for such campaigns as The Truth. The settlement also dissolved the tobacco industry groups Tobacco Institute, the Center for Indoor Air Research, and the Council for Tobacco Research. In the MSA, the original participating manufacturers (OPM) agreed to pay a minimum of $206 billion over the first 25 years of the agreement.

Bottomless well of money for anti-smoking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco_Master_Settlement_Agreement

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

If you mean using a can of spray paint, the answer is probably no one.  But if you mean using a paint sprayer, the answer is lots of people.

That reminds me(tm):

There's an ad for Maaco where this man is outside in the driveway painting his wife's car, only he's using a can of paint and a brush. She comes out and asks him what the hell he's doing, and he's all smiles with "Do you like it?" She tells him to put the brush down, that she's going to call Maaco and fix the problem.

Which problem would that be. lady? That your idiot husband is too dumb to know not to paint a car with what I guess is house paint, or that you married somebody who's too dumb to not use house paint on a car? Maybe you should call a divorce lawyer after you call Maaco.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Ohwell said:

The one that really pisses me off is the one with the woman whose infant is in the NICU, I'm assuming due to the woman smoking while pregnant.  Bitch.

Affectless Amanda. Yeah, she was a smoker, she says so in the ad and I looked her up once to see if that ad was hated as much elsewhere.

• Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, SoSueMe said:

This is just mildly annoying but it does wear on me. There are some commercials that presume that you know who they are and what they do. I have half a brain and can usually figure it out, but why the heck should I have to?

YES!!!  Check this one out.  I think it's a small, local company - - I can't even be bothered to go Google them again - - - let's just call them "Acme". (Thank my love of Wile E Coyote for that.). Well, ACME runs this local ad referring to themselves as "ACME P.O.S."   Are you kidding me???  I discovered that their POS means "Point of Service" but you mean to tell me there's no one at that company who thought, "Hmmmmm...maybe some people out there might think that ACME POS means, 'ACME, Piece of Shit?'. That's been bothering me for months.   And I STILL don't know what service they provide!

ETA:  So I lied.  I Googled again and just discovered that a Point of Service is similar to an HMO or PPO.  So I guess my " Piece of Shit" mind connection is ironically accurate...

Edited by absolutqt
Adding more stuff
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, absolutqt said:

YES!!!  Check this one out.  I think it's a small, local company - - I can't even be bothered to go Google them again - - - let's just call them "Acme". (Thank my love of Wile E Coyote for that.). Well, ACME runs this local ad referring to themselves as "ACME P.O.S."   Are you kidding me???  I discovered that their POS means "Point of Service" but you mean to tell me there's no one at that company who thought, "Hmmmmm...maybe some people out there might think that ACME POS means, 'ACME, Piece of Shit?'. That's been bothering me for months.   And I STILL don't know what service they provide!

ETA:  So I lied.  I Googled again and just discovered that a Point of Service is similar to an HMO or PPO.  So I guess my " Piece of Shit" mind connection is ironically accurate...

In my first software job, POS meant Point Of Sale - think cash register taken up to 11. But the company was so clueless that Piece Of Shit worked too.

• Love 11

And for lawyers, POS means "proof of service", an affidavit or declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating that a party or witness has been served with documents.  So when you see a court docket listing what's been filed in a case, POS will appear frequently & is not cause for giggling.

• Love 2

A business that I frequent went from a cash register to a point of sale system a couple years back.  For a time, before they got used to it, the staff referred to it as "Piece of Shit."

As for the tobacco ads, in my market they are brought to you by the folks at NY Quits - https://www.nysmokefree.com/.

Here's one of their compilation numbers.

I suppose they are syndicated or something, like PBS programming.  (Probably not the technical term.)

(edited)
33 minutes ago, riley702 said:

And is she?

Mostly it's articles lauding the ad campaign (suckups!) and the state of Wisconsin bragging about her role in it (she's from there; I guess they're desperate for any sort of celeb), and one Slate article objecting to it implying preemies are caused by smoking. For real snark I have to stay here :)

Edited by Jamoche
  • Love 3

Again, I have no idea what this commercial is for. This couple with a wimpy husband and his wife who "turns into her father." It shows her giving him nuggies, telling him she'll turn the car around, wearing tube socks, and looking like a total pig sleeping in a recliner. It makes me nuts. There is another one I think where a guy says he's turning into his mother but I don't remember much about that one. This one makes me want to pull my fingernails off.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, configdotsys said:

Again, I have no idea what this commercial is for. This couple with a wimpy husband and his wife who "turns into her father." It shows her giving him nuggies, telling him she'll turn the car around, wearing tube socks, and looking like a total pig sleeping in a recliner. It makes me nuts. There is another one I think where a guy says he's turning into his mother but I don't remember much about that one. This one makes me want to pull my fingernails off.

They're both for Progressive Insurance.

On Friday, March 24, 2017 at 0:05 PM, LoneHaranguer said:

Credit agencies consider it a good thing for you to always have "installment debt"; so much so that you can't get a perfect score without it (assuming you're making the payments). According to my credit card co's web site, paying off your car (and having the money for other things) drops your FICO 30 points.

Good to know. Thanks!

Edited by InDueTime
Spelling
2 hours ago, configdotsys said:

Enough to bring back Flo?  

I wonder how many themes Progressive is running these days. It seems like Geico has a few, also.

I can't stand the woman in the Ancestry DNA commercial who says her "nationality" is "Hispanic."  "Hispanic" is not a nationality, lady.  And then she's all stoked about checking "other" on her forms now.  Ugh.

• Love 17
On 3/30/2017 at 4:27 AM, smittykins said:

It's Shriners that has the happy children.  I like that it shows what they've been able to achieve(playing an instrument, dancing, swimming).  The St. Jude ads just show sick kids.(Don't get me wrong, St. Jude's is a wonderful charity, and I believe Danny Thomas has earned a special place in Heaven for founding it.)

And Marlo Thomas for tirelessly keeping up her father's work on St. Jude's behalf.

• Love 13
14 minutes ago, smittykins said:

No matter what you may think, Benjamin Moore, yes, it is still paint.

Actually Benjamin Moore is very high quality paint. If I couldn't get Pratt and Lambert or C2 I would definitely go with Benny Moore.

• Love 2
(edited)
22 hours ago, Jamoche said:

Nobody will ever say "Magnifico!", with or without a faux Italian accent, about Round Table pizza.

I would. I like Round Table. I want one, right now.

I guess it's bug season, because I'm getting a lot of ads for Terminix and Orkin. The ad for Orkin is annoying, the woman dressed in white, in the sterile white house, with everything in plastic containers and spray cleaner in hand. It's new and I can't find it, but you'll remember it. It may even be the same ad, but the kids are log rolling in the swimming pool because they saw a bug.

Edited by ennui
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, janie jones said:

I can't stand the woman in the Ancestry DNA commercial who says her "nationality" is "Hispanic."  "Hispanic" is not a nationality, lady.  And then she's all stoked about checking "other" on her forms now.  Ugh.

"Other"? Where do you find a form with a question like that that doesn't have "Hispanic" as one of the choices?

• Love 2

She checked Other because she's got so many ethnicites she never knew about.  Yeah bitch, because everybody else's comes back 100% one thing and you're just such a special snowflake.  I can't stand any of the jerks in these ancestry commercials.  They're so smug and douchy.  These things are a scam anyway.  I saw some story where they sent in the DNA of identical triplets and got back three different answers.  One of the triplets even showed an ethnicity the other two didn't.  Thye should say 'for entertainment purposes only' like the psychic hotline ads.  

• Love 17