Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

I use the online version of Turbo Tax via my credit union so I get a discount but hate the new ads with the nosey actor (someone said it's John Hamm, I think) pestering people.

Jon Hamm is doing H&R Block ads. "Get your taxes won." Mostly he seems to be cruising around a studio back lot, interacting with the donut lady, an actor dressed as a zombie, etc. The ads are growing on me.

• Love 1

Story time: An ex-boyfriend from at least a decade and a half ago worked in accounting for Bank of America. Because he was deeply in debt (yet supposedly good with numbers) looked into working nights at Jackson Hewitt during tax season. Just like at H&R Block, they train "tax preparers" to use their software to do customers' taxes.

Because I was young and dumb, I let him do my taxes (he didn't end up working at JH). I've exclusively done my own taxes before and since, and the only time I've ever had the IRS come back and tell me something was hinky and I needed to answer more questions was the one time that loser did my taxes!

He also failed the CPA exam, like, seven times, but that's another story. My point is: DO YOUR OWN TAXES OR GET AN ACCOUNTANT. The people at the tax-prep services don't know any more than the average joe about taxes.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, bilgistic said:

My point is: DO YOUR OWN TAXES OR GET AN ACCOUNTANT. The people at the tax-prep services don't know any more than the average joe about taxes.

My favorite part about the H & R Block ads is that they say they will do your 1040EZ for free. A trained chimp could do your 1040EZ. It's just looking at your W-2 and filling out numbers. You don't need a service for that.

• Love 10

Mocking Chevy Guy....I'd hit that.

I thought "Paul" was a jerk back when he was roaming around asking "Can you hear me now?"   Hey Paul, thanks for going on TV and talking shit about your former employer to prove I was right.

Is the personal trainer buffoon in the tax software commercial supposed to be somebody or is this something a millennial intern at an ad agency dreamed up to torment the viewing public?

What the hell is that noise playing over the Reese's commercial?   It sounds like someone's running a sick donkey through a 1930s washing machine that has been oiled in a decade.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Maverick said:

What the hell is that noise playing over the Reese's commercial?   It sounds like someone's running a sick donkey through a 1930s washing machine that has been oiled in a decade.

I KNOW!!  Instant dive for the remote.  They aren't going to attract many customers with that.

• Love 4

I don't think I've ever been in this particular forum before, so hi! So much to say!

The Tide father and son in the white shirts drives me nuts because the kid says, "Mom washed our cloTHz," and heavily pronounces the TH in clothes.

The ASPCA commercials kill me. I also wish they'd stop with the really intense cancer commercials. First we had the lady with the eyes and now we have the lady dancing with a corpse.

There is a Time Warner commercial with a couple sitting on the couch. The cable is out and the guy pretends he's upset, "Aww, no Friday night romcom?" and puts his arm around the wife but only to grab a game controller. The wife's bitch face and the smacking of the magazine open and closed makes me want to punch her in the face. Look, he might not like watching those stupid movies. Forcing him to is a bitch move. Stop acting like a whiny brat and grow the eff up.

The Mercedes commercial with the boy being driven in heavy snow to meet a date at the movie would not have been so bad, but the look on the boy's face when he walks out of the theater, like a pissed off, entitled punk with a "how dare she not show up for me" look on his face is just nauseating. I was sad to see that the girl showed up.

My eyes are bleary from reading nearly 100 pages of this thread!

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

"We asked real people to use Cottonelle on their bums." Real people? As opposed to what, replicants? Moron.

I wish they WOULD use replicants and quit pestering folks.

Moreover,  as I said way upthread, I REALLY hope at least one person they approached said 'Nunnahyerbiz and BUZZ OFF, weirdos! Get that camera outta my face or I'm SUING!'

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

"We asked real people to use Cottonelle on their bums." Real people? As opposed to what, replicants? Moron.

In the context of any commercial when they say "real people" it's as opposed to "actors saying what they've been scripted to say". I'm not a lawyer but I was under the impression there are specific circumstances in which one is allowed to claim they're showing "real people", so it's not surprising to me when they use that exact phrasing. Just as when an ad presents any sort of focus group or taste test (or doctor recommending a thing) if it is scripted, there's usually a small text disclaimer that they're actors. Lawsuit prevention predicates ads must be clear about the distinction between an actual testimonial or something scripted to seem like humans like a product vs characters liking a product.

If it was me being interviewed by Cottonelle, I would tell her "This is America.  Stop trying to make BUM a thing here!  We say BUTT".

Or bottom, or ass.  But definitely NOT bum.  Not that I don't think it is adorable for Brits to say it.

• Love 10
On 1/21/2017 at 8:35 AM, AimingforYoko said:

My favorite part about the H & R Block ads is that they say they will do your 1040EZ for free. A trained chimp could do your 1040EZ. It's just looking at your W-2 and filling out numbers. You don't need a service for that.

You'd be surprised. There are a lot of people who don't understand taxes AT ALL, beyond knowing they have to file a return. I've tried to explain it to people, "income" tax, tax based on your income, less your deductions, and their eyes glaze over and they start to sweat. There are a lot of people who are more than happy to hand everything over, just so they don't have to deal with it. 

• Love 3

I like the idea behind the Angel Soft commercial with the dad showing his daughter how to shave her legs, but it bothers me for two reasons: 

1) She's easily 16-17 and probably wanted/needed to learn years ago.  

2) He's not teaching her to shave in the opposite direction of hair growth.  Ankles up, fool.  

• Love 10

My best friend moved recently, and we hit up Target to get the essentials - like toilet paper - to hold her over until she got her stuff delivered the next day and did her real shopping.  When we got to the toilet paper aisle, neither one of us had any idea what brand to get, as we both use Costco toilet paper.  She just wanted a small pack of something to tide her over until she went to Costco, so we decided on a brand (I don't even remember what, now) by ruling out the ones with obnoxious commercials.  Cottonelle was the first to go for the "go commando" ad campaign.  The Charmin bears were next.

• Love 9

The match.com "I met someone" ads are really annoying. Half the recipients of the "I met someone" in the ads don't care. Like the woman with the two young daughters whose reactions clearly show that this isn't the first or fifth time their mother has said this to them. 

• Love 11
22 minutes ago, Bastet said:

we decided on a brand (I don't even remember what, now) by ruling out the ones with obnoxious commercials.  Cottonelle was the first to go for the "go commando" ad campaign.  The Charmin bears were next.

I used to use the "cutest ad" rule because Cottonelle was the one with puppies - also easy to remember because there was a puppy on the label. No more, Cottonelle.

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, Bastet said:

My best friend moved recently, and we hit up Target to get the essentials - like toilet paper - to hold her over until she got her stuff delivered the next day and did her real shopping.  When we got to the toilet paper aisle, neither one of us had any idea what brand to get, as we both use Costco toilet paper.  She just wanted a small pack of something to tide her over until she went to Costco, so we decided on a brand (I don't even remember what, now) by ruling out the ones with obnoxious commercials.  Cottonelle was the first to go for the "go commando" ad campaign.  The Charmin bears were next.

Same here.

The Liberty Mutual commercial with the black couple is particularly irritating.  Seems the husband ruined their perfect driving record with his little accident, and their premium is going up.  The wife stands there simmering with rage over this, and the husband has this tight I-am-a-hostage-in-my-own-marriage smile.  Then she makes some passive-aggressive crack, and he grits out, "Perfect!"

They can get the car fixed, but the marriage is done

I can't stand the Movantic commercials that seem to air every other break. These people are really embarrassed by constipation, but seem kind of proud of long term opiate use.

• Love 8
52 minutes ago, docmatt said:

I can't stand the Movantic commercials that seem to air every other break. These people are really embarrassed by constipation, but seem kind of proud of long term opiate use.

Yeah, that's a weird one.

On 1/18/2017 at 6:10 AM, mojoween said:

There are two different LM dudes who say some iteration of "I didn't get the wrong plan, I got the wrong company" and it infuriates me.

Don't blame the companies because you didn't ask the right questions, douchenozzles.  The plan you got is the one you picked.

Unpopular opinion: I'm not going to hate on the Liberty Mutual people. Insurance companies suck and they DO use technicalities and fine print to nickel-and-dime people on coverage.

Edited: Except for the one douchenozzle who was whining about just "tapping the bumper" on a station wagon. If that were my station wagon I'd be hella pissed by that dismissive attitude, regardless of where you have your insurance.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, Maverick said:

Is the personal trainer buffoon in the tax software commercial supposed to be somebody or is this something a millennial intern at an ad agency dreamed up to torment the viewing public?

That's DJ Khaled. He's a top hip-hop producer. I kinda wish they had stuck his catchphrase "We da best!!" at the end. Lol

7 hours ago, Drogo said:

I like the idea behind the Angel Soft commercial with the dad showing his daughter how to shave her legs, but it bothers me for two reasons: 

1) She's easily 16-17 and probably wanted/needed to learn years ago.  

2) He's not teaching her to shave in the opposite direction of hair growth.  Ankles up, fool.  

I haven't seen this commercial, but I've never understood the concept of someone needing to be taught how to shave.  If you've seen someone shave, you know how to shave.  I guess if you've never seen a movie, and your dad only shaves in private (/you don't live with a dad...people probably never see their moms shave their legs since they do it in the shower)?  I guess that's probably a thing.  But I've seen too many little kids watching dad shave on TV to believe this is a widespread thing. 

And anyway, you can read the directions on the shaving cream and the razor.

If you're using a shaving brush and/or a straight razor then probably, yes, you do need to be taught.

• Love 2

janie jones, I am old, was a teenager in prehistory days of the 1960s, I wanted to shave my legs, god only knows why, the hair on my legs is darn near invisible and the only way it shows up is when I wear hose and like I said, I'm old and I don't give a darn any more. But I was told no, and decided to try anyway. Used my dad's razor (I know, I know, it was the early 60s) I was probably around 14. Took about a 3 inch path of the top layer of skin off my shin. Since I was old enough to have friends with daughters that might start thinking about shaving, I have told that story in front of mother and daughter as a lesson to be learned and suggested the daughters get permission and instruction before trying.

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

janie jones, I am old, was a teenager in prehistory days of the 1960s, I wanted to shave my legs, god only knows why, the hair on my legs is darn near invisible and the only way it shows up is when I wear hose and like I said, I'm old and I don't give a darn any more. But I was told no, and decided to try anyway. Used my dad's razor (I know, I know, it was the early 60s) I was probably around 14. Took about a 3 inch path of the top layer of skin off my shin. Since I was old enough to have friends with daughters that might start thinking about shaving, I have told that story in front of mother and daughter as a lesson to be learned and suggested the daughters get permission and instruction before trying.

I did this EXACT SAME THING.  Safety razor. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, docmatt said:

I'm just wondering what kind of quack doctor prescribes opiates without the corresponding constipation meds. I got both of them when I broke my ankle.

(No I'm actually not. I know those opiates didn't come with any legit prescription.)

• Love 1
19 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

It's hard to imagine someone would be on one of those Cottenelle commercials without being a paid actor.

Can you imagine someone coming up to you in a mall or other public place and ask you to use the porta-potty, then come back out without your underwear and talk about it?  How in the world did they get people to do this unless they were paid?  I'd be looking for a cop.

And I'm cringing at you ladies with your first razor experiences.  <shudder>

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I'm going to respond to this in Small Talk.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Eliot said:

Unpopular opinion: I'm not going to hate on the Liberty Mutual people. Insurance companies suck and they DO use technicalities and fine print to nickel-and-dime people on coverage.

Edited: Except for the one douchenozzle who was whining about just "tapping the bumper" on a station wagon. If that were my station wagon I'd be hella pissed by that dismissive attitude, regardless of where you have your insurance.

You're right about insurance companies, but for me, that doesn't make the people in the Liberty Mutual commercials any less stupid and annoying.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Eliot said:

I don't know this for a fact since I don't have LM, but perhaps they nickel and dime just like the other insurance companies?

My point is: DO YOUR OWN TAXES OR GET AN ACCOUNTANT. The people at the tax-prep services don't know any more than the average joe about taxes.

For realz. The one and only time I went to H&R Block I was was slapped with a $6,000 tax bill from the IRS the following year for not claiming my IRA properly. And that was the whole reason I went to them in the first place.

I'm not saying this ad is any good or makes any more sense, but I was under the impression her whole "three-quarters" analogy was not about repair at all. I thought her car was totaled and the amount she got for it was 3/4 of what she paid, and thus, this dumbass actually doesn't understand how depreciation works.

My bad, you're right. But - same principal applies. You cannot buy three quarters of a car. If you go to a car dealership and can only pay 3/4 of the price, it's not like they are going to lop off 1/4 of the car and sell you 75% of it. "What am I supposed to do, drive three quarters of a car?" No idiot. You will have to pay 25% of the price. Or take the bus. Your choice.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Jamoche said:

I'm just wondering what kind of quack doctor prescribes opiates without the corresponding constipation meds. I got both of them when I broke my ankle.

(No I'm actually not. I know those opiates didn't come with any legit prescription.)

My mother got opiates for her shingles without any constipation meds, and she wound up heavily backed up.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Haleth said:

How in the world did they get people to do this unless they were paid? 

It's not prohibited to pay people to participate and provide their own opinions. It is prohibited to pay them and require them to state a positive opinion of the product (unless you're not claiming "real people" in which case you can pay them to say what you want, but then they're basically the same as actors).

• Love 1
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

"What am I supposed to do, drive three quarters of a car?" No idiot. You will have to pay 25% of the price. Or take the bus. Your choice.

Or get a car that costs 75% the price you paid for our original car.

• Love 3

Look, I like dogs.  More than people most of the time.   So I'm really annoyed, irritated and enraged that the trend seems to be to give dogs annoying human voices and have them act obnoxious.   So cut it out (I'm looking at you, T Mobile and Puperoni)

• Love 6
On 1/22/2017 at 6:46 AM, configdotsys said:

I don't think I've ever been in this particular forum before, so hi! So much to say!

The Tide father and son in the white shirts drives me nuts because the kid says, "Mom washed our cloTHz," and heavily pronounces the TH in clothes.

That is a thing I noticed on TV, and radio, and podcasts, ALL THE TIME now, the cloTHz pronunciation.  Has it always been this way and I just never noticed?  Because I, and everyone I know, say and have always said "close" and don't worry about saying it like it's spelled.

The commercials I'm hating right now are for Let it Go, the app on which you can quickly (?) sell your stuff.  "Do we really need to take your banana seat bicycle up Mt Everest with us?"  "I love it, it reminds me of my childhood."  "I know, let's sell it."  "OK".  So this item is so important, but they'll agree to sell it at the merest suggestion?  So stupid and illogical.

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, MaryPatShelby said:

That is a thing I noticed on TV, and radio, and podcasts, ALL THE TIME now, the cloTHz pronunciation.  Has it always been this way and I just never noticed?  Because I, and everyone I know, say and have always said "close" and don't worry about saying it like it's spelled.

The commercials I'm hating right now are for Let it Go, the app on which you can quickly (?) sell your stuff.  "Do we really need to take your banana seat bicycle up Mt Everest with us?"  "I love it, it reminds me of my childhood."  "I know, let's sell it."  "OK".  So this item is so important, but they'll agree to sell it at the merest suggestion?  So stupid and illogical.

I've always pronounced it clothes - not close. I'm 66. According to Dictionary.com, both pronunciations are acceptable.

• Love 4

I remember once on Howard Stern's long-ago TV show (I'm showing my age!), he shove a handful of Meow Mix into his face (surrounded by his Louis XIV hair of the early '90s) and looked straight into the camera and said, "meow." Haha, now he's a big cat-rescue guy!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I once got my little sister to bite into a piece of cat food.

Back in college, we were over a friend's house for dinner - they had a couple of poodles, and were giving the dogs a couple of Milk Bone biscuits. We got to talking about how they were probably healthier that half the stuff we usually ate, and one guy said "For 10 cents, I'd eat one!"  My buddy and I looked at each other and simultaneously said "I've got a nickel!"  That became our catch phrase when talking about that guy.

• Love 3