Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, Maharincess said:

I hate the Reese's Peanut butter cups with Reese's Pieces commercial so much. The "music" they play sounds like the needle was stuck on a really bad record.  What the hell is that? 

But damn, is the candy itself good!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Y'all are getting me super excited for my upcoming gastro doc appointment. I have been having unexplained problems (chronic nausea but no food allergies) and will probably have to have a colonoscopy. I'll ask the doc if I can instead do the poop test that someone on the internet forum saw on a TV commercial.

I don't think it finds polyps, though. Just uses DNA to screen for cancer. You might have diverticulosis that only shows up on either the colonscopy or the barium enema. (prep's the same for both).

53 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Oh My God.  Just shoot me.  "This.  Is what you woke up for.  Peloton."  This guy's voice is just killing me, and they run this commercial FIVE times in the past hour!  GAH!

Every time I hear this ad, I think about all the real reasons I wake up. Peloton is not on the list. 

• Love 4
On 12/30/2016 at 7:07 PM, mattie0808 said:

Oh, yes, the Breaking Bad marathon commercials are becoming a tradition unlike any other. I have to admit I didn't know Bjork's version of "It's Oh So Quiet" was a remake of an older, and more awesome, song. Learned that here today. But MAN DID THEY PLAY THAT CANDY CRUSH AD EVERY BREAK.

And yes, I'm sorry, but I'm sick to beyond the point of death of the ASPCA and Humane Society, and there's one for a children's hospital that makes me want to slit my wrists. I don't mean to sound heartless, but DAMN guys. There's one charitable ad I loved -- for Shriner's Hospital. The kids are, to me, charming as hell, and there's one young kid in a wheelchair who is probably the best salesman/spokesperson I've seen for anything in awhile, and he's like, 12. They probably shine extra because it's a commercial for a sick/disabled kids charity that doesn't make me want to put my head in an oven, but I genuinely enjoy those and plan to give next month.

Are you talking about the black boy in the commercial?  I love that kid.  I wish we could find out how he's doing. That kid is awesome. 

7 hours ago, ivygirl said:

That reminds me of the atrocious "Daick! Daick! D-D-Daick the halls with boughs of holly! Fa-la-la-la-Daick!" jingle that plays during one of the car ads this season. So effective I can't remember which make!

What's a Diack?

1 hour ago, Sandman87 said:

What's a Diack?

Really horrible and obnoxious pronunciation of "Deck". The middle section of the ad has the singer repeating a syllable that does not sound anything like "fa", but by process of elimination must be.

21 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:
On 1/1/2017 at 6:45 PM, bilgistic said:

Y'all are getting me super excited for my upcoming gastro doc appointment. I have been having unexplained problems (chronic nausea but no food allergies) and will probably have to have a colonoscopy. I'll ask the doc if I can instead do the poop test that someone on the internet forum saw on a TV commercial.

I don't think it finds polyps, though. Just uses DNA to screen for cancer. You might have diverticulosis that only shows up on either the colonscopy or the barium enema. (prep's the same for both).

Speaking as a person who has the colon cancer gene and having gone through more colonoscopies than I care to remember and as a person that no longer has a large intestine......  That test for the poop can miss colon cancer.  As poop winds it's way through the large intestine the specks of blood that is found could be hidden within the stool and not be 'scooped' or sent to be tested.  The best way to see if you have issues is to have a colonoscopy.  There are many ways to prep for the colonoscopy - there are pills, smaller dosages of colon cleansers, etc.:  http://www.stopcoloncancernow.com/colonoscopy/colonoscopy-prep/types-of-colon-prep.   The worst part of a scope is the prep.  Just suck it up and do it.  ;)

• Love 6

There's been one from PC Matic that has been getting on my nerves lately. They've been running an untruthful ad where they mention that whitelisting blocks things. /facepalm Uh no that's not true. Blacklisting does. So I'm guessing they just want people to infect their pc's.

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

There's been one from PC Matic that has been getting on my nerves lately. They've been running an untruthful ad where they mention that whitelisting blocks things. /facepalm Uh no that's not true. Blacklisting does. So I'm guessing they just want people to infect their pc's.

THAT one should be reported!

• Love 3

Burger King is running some kind of special with male twins yacking on and on about it. One wears glasses. I've been trying to enjoy The Twilight Zone marathon, but they play that idiotic commercial every break it seems. I especially despise commercials that run on and on before they actually get to the details and this is one. Before I looked I thought the two Sonic idiots had begun shilling for BK. 

Edited by bubbls
  • Love 6

hello! Long time since I've been over here. This one made me post. We are bombarded with this anti- smoking commercial and it is really sad and disturbing. Warning - it is super sad. I f*cking hate it. It almost feels like they have crossed a line. Dancing with this guy who is practically dead. Really ghoulish. I get what their goal is but whoa.

Edited by seasons
  • Love 1

That commercial creeps me out too.  But I agree with the message since I have had many relatives die from smoking. 

I like the end, "what will be doesn't have to be." 

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1
On 1/1/2017 at 11:29 PM, Maharincess said:

Are you talking about the black boy in the commercial?  I love that kid.  I wish we could find out how he's doing. That kid is awesome. 

No, the kid in the wheelchair who is the main spokesperson for one version of the commercial for Shriner's is white. He's talking about "every day miracles" (playing the piano, tying your shoes, and they show him playing basketball). But I think all the kids are awesome. There's another one with a young Asian girl who has one hand, and she's a good spokesperson too. The boy in the wheelchair just charms me.

Interesting -- I was trying to find the commercial I had in mind, and it seems that kid is famous a bit, I guess he's been doing the ads for a while, though I just noticed them this year. He loves sports and wants to become a sportscaster; he interviewed some NFL Draft prospects when they visited the hospital and he has his own website where he talks sports. 

• Love 1

Just saw the Cascade Platinum commercial for the millionth time. The wife takes the "Alfredo" baking pan out of the dishwasher and hands it to her husband, then takes a bunch of other pans out. Alfredo sauce is NOT RED. It's WHITE. We eat alfredo sauce with pasta all the time.  Can't these people get anything right on these commercials?! 

• Love 13
3 hours ago, random chance said:

Jeez I almost bought one of those damn pillows. Thanks for the heads-up!

The false advertising is for a "sale" price that is the regular price. It has nothing to do with the quality of the pillow itself. A coworker raves about how comfortable hers is.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, mattie0808 said:

No, the kid in the wheelchair who is the main spokesperson for one version of the commercial for Shriner's is white. He's talking about "every day miracles" (playing the piano, tying your shoes, and they show him playing basketball). But I think all the kids are awesome. There's another one with a young Asian girl who has one hand, and she's a good spokesperson too. The boy in the wheelchair just charms me.

Interesting -- I was trying to find the commercial I had in mind, and it seems that kid is famous a bit, I guess he's been doing the ads for a while, though I just noticed them this year. He loves sports and wants to become a sportscaster; he interviewed some NFL Draft prospects when they visited the hospital and he has his own website where he talks sports. 

I'm thinking of the St Jude commercial anyway. I just saw it today.  

About tht Shriners Hospital commercial - with Alec in the wheelchair - also has a kid with no arms, signing his name with a crayon between his toes, who then has the fakiest looking smile. But what really stuns me is I saw a longer version of an ad with him ... and his mom has no arms, too.  Is that weird? You'd think being born with no arms is some sort of freak DNA accident, but, apparently, can be heriditary.  Who knew?

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

You'd think being born with no arms is some sort of freak DNA accident, but, apparently, can be heriditary.  Who knew?

I should think that most genetic mutations can be passed down if the person lives long enough. That's a lot easier these days than even a few decades ago. Whatever happened to the claims that doctors would soon be able to fix things like that?

Just saw the Cascade Platinum commercial for the millionth time. The wife takes the "Alfredo" baking pan out of the dishwasher and hands it to her husband, then takes a bunch of other pans out. Alfredo sauce is NOT RED. It's WHITE. We eat alfredo sauce with pasta all the time.  Can't these people get anything right on these commercials?! 

Thank you! I say that every time I see that shitty commercial.

I had hoped that when the holidays were over that Subaru ad with the people singing "Put A Little Love in your Heart" would go away. It's still with us and it annoys me to no end.

• Love 9

As a skating fan, the Geico commercial with the Sumo wrestler as a figure skater really steams me because clearly whoever came up with the idea and execution knows nothing about figure skating, and is under the impression all figure skaters do is glide around and pose. I know it's supposed to be a "parody" but it doesn't work. The correct, funny version of this commercial would be if the Sumo wrestler was doing tripe axles and quadruple toe loops and triple lutzes. That would be surprising. A great big guy like that who can't do anything but glide very slowly and pose very badly is anything but "surprising" and nobody in the audience would be oohing and ahhing over it. {/rant}

• Love 8
3 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I had hoped that when the holidays were over that Subaru ad with the people singing "Put A Little Love in your Heart" would go away. It's still with us and it annoys me to no end.

I'm with you & the others who hate these commercials. There's nothing worse than people who can't sing singing as if they think they CAN sing. That woman with the dog is the worst.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The correct, funny version of this commercial would be if the Sumo wrestler was doing tripe axles and quadruple toe loops and triple lutzes. That would be surprising. A great big guy like that who can't do anything but glide very slowly and pose very badly is anything but "surprising" and nobody in the audience would be oohing and ahhing over it.

The audience is being polite. That he's doing it at all could be considered "surprising". If he did it well, the ad would use a stronger word like "astounding".

• Love 8
22 hours ago, Gam2 said:

If that wife got her alfredo sauce to turn red, she did it wrong!

• Love 7
On 1/2/2017 at 8:06 PM, AntiBeeSpray said:

I can't speak specifically to PC Matic, but whitelisting blocks everything except for trusted sources. Blacklisting, on the other hand, only blocks sources that are known to be untrustworthy. 

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I can't speak specifically to PC Matic, but whitelisting blocks everything except for trusted sources. Blacklisting, on the other hand, only blocks sources that are known to be untrustworthy. 

Ah. I figured it dealt with putting sites on that you trusted. They should have mentioned blacklisting as well.

We're sort of getting into semantics now, but I'll say this, the term "whitelisting" does not inherently imply "only allow X and block everything else". It does imply "always allow this". "Blacklisting" implies "always block this". The program being advertised may have meant to imply their product allows you to whitelist certain things, and it will automatically block everything else for you (which would be incredibly restrictive). That might be what they're selling. I didn't see the ad in question so I'm not sure, and from the confusion going on here, I imagine they did a poor job of communicating it, if that is indeed what their point was.

• Love 2

The audience is being polite. That he's doing it at all could be considered "surprising". If he did it well, the ad would use a stronger word like "astounding".

No, the commentators are clearly in awe of what the Sumo wrestler is doing on the ice and extolling his amazing skills, and making up fake "moves" like they're actual skating moves. That's my point - the commercial acts as though the Sumo wrestler is "unexpected" because he's so awesome out there on the ice, but he's not. He's doing about as well as you'd expect from  . . . a Sumo wrestler with little to no skating ability. Now if he were really skating, then that would be pretty awesome. 

I get that the whole point is supposed to be "you wouldn't expect to see a Sumo wrestler in a figure skating competition" but if you did and he was this lousy you'd wonder how he ever got into the competition in the first place. The commercial is acting like he's doing amazing things out there like a real figure skater so it's kind of insulting to figure skating as a sport. A lot of people don't even watch skating or consider it a "real" sport, and it's rather obvious the people who made this commercial are of the same mindset. "Ooh, look, he's doing the Flying Fish" or whatever. Like that's a real thing.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 6
On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 1:31 PM, proserpina65 said:

I don't think anyone is annoyed that Oprah is a billionaire.  This isn't a sexist thing.  They're complaining about how something was phrased in the commercial, that's all.

Oprah gains and loses weight all the time so lets see a year from now what her weight is. Oprah should disclose that she owns part of Weight Watchers IMO it's dishonest if she doesn't.

• Love 8
17 hours ago, iMonrey said:

As a skating fan, the Geico commercial with the Sumo wrestler as a figure skater really steams me because clearly whoever came up with the idea and execution knows nothing about figure skating, and is under the impression all figure skaters do is glide around and pose. I know it's supposed to be a "parody" but it doesn't work. The correct, funny version of this commercial would be if the Sumo wrestler was doing tripe axles and quadruple toe loops and triple lutzes. That would be surprising. A great big guy like that who can't do anything but glide very slowly and pose very badly is anything but "surprising" and nobody in the audience would be oohing and ahhing over it. {/rant}

I do love the wtf? look the little girl in the waiting area is giving him.

• Love 6
On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 5:32 PM, Mabinogia said:

I don't follow her enough to know if she's kept the weight off using WW.

Oprah hasn't been doing WW long enough to be anywhere near the maintenance stage.  She's still in the loss stage.  For me to buy it, she'll have to keep the weight off for a couple of years (or more), and historically she's had trouble doing that no matter what weight loss method she's used.  And the more you yoyo, the harder it gets - I say that from long personal experience.

• Love 3
On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 9:44 PM, DeaconBlues said:

Subaru - Put a little love in your heart -  Just ##@$ right off.  Seriously, $#@! OFF!  I can't believe the saturation level of these commercials; they are on every channel, every 10 minutes.  OK, the little asian kid talking about rescuing people off mountains is genuinely adorable.  But the eagle scout who blinks non-stop and shows off his patches...I'm starting to fantasize about him wandering into a crocodile swamp in one of those great national parks he's talking about.  I know I'm going to hell for this. I'm not even going to share my thoughts about the poor girl with no eyebrows and the horrific sack-hat. I'm not a good person.

Awwww, I actually like the Subaru commercials.  But I can see where you could get really tired of them being shown all the time.

• Love 2
On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 9:41 PM, riley702 said:

The false advertising is for a "sale" price that is the regular price. It has nothing to do with the quality of the pillow itself. A coworker raves about how comfortable hers is.

I didn't know the owner had supported Trump - THAT is what will keep me from buying his pillows, not the sale price gimmick.

• Love 19
15 hours ago, iMonrey said:

No, the commentators are clearly in awe of what the Sumo wrestler is doing on the ice and extolling his amazing skills, and making up fake "moves" like they're actual skating moves.

I guess I've seen too many competitions of various types where the commentators act that way for just about anything short of a face-plant. Can't say I know much about the theatrical subspecies of figure skating in evidence here, but they did refer to his "signature move", so the "fake" moves they were referring to could have just been his own.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Oprah hasn't been doing WW long enough to be anywhere near the maintenance stage.  She's still in the loss stage.  For me to buy it, she'll have to keep the weight off for a couple of years (or more), and historically she's had trouble doing that no matter what weight loss method she's used.  And the more you yoyo, the harder it gets - I say that from long personal experience.

I know how that goes,too! Back to Miss Winfrey, she ALSO doesn't mention that she has at her disposal an entire staff of cooks and trainers (and, of course, is now part owner of the company). Yet, of course, she acts as though she somehow knows  and can identify MORE  with how everyday, struggling folks live their lives (even those who have gotten married and/or raised children) than  they themselves do despite not having any issues of financial struggles in the last 30+ years and never having been married or raised children. 

• Love 6

For the love of God, could we please get rid of the commercial for whatever car buying thing it is that features the brat kicking the back of the seat and everything else and then being all cutesy with that piece of hair that she keeps putting behind her ear every time she kicks something?  I want to shave her head and slap her silly.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

I know how that goes,too! Back to Miss Winfrey, she ALSO doesn't mention that she has at her disposal an entire staff of cooks and trainers (and, of course, is now part owner of the company). Yet, of course, she acts as though she somehow knows  and can identify MORE  with how everyday, struggling folks live their lives (even those who have gotten married and/or raised children) than  they themselves do despite not having any issues of financial struggles in the last 30+ years and never having been married or raised children. 

What bugs me too that she says that she's NEVER felt deprived on WW. I call bullshit on that big time.

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, seasons said:

What bugs me too that she says that she's NEVER felt deprived on WW. I call bullshit on that big time.

She has said it herself Bread, bread, bread, bread BREAD!  I don't think WW allows you unlimited bread.

• Love 9