Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Sincere question because I am an old: who has seen the music video for the song the Ariana-driver is listening to? I've been assuming this whole time what she's wearing in the ad is something she wears in the video for the song. Hence it should have nothing to do with the current temperature of wherever they are. She's a manifestation of the song playing in the app. So her outfit should be equally...manifested.

Because I'd seen neither the commercial nor the video, I looked them both up, and no, she isn't wearing the same outfit in both places.  It doesn't really bother me that she's wearing that coat in the desert, though, because it's not like she expected to be kicked out of the car, and maybe the a/c is cranked up.

• Love 1
On 11/18/2016 at 10:11 PM, mojoween said:

Holy fuckballs how are you not telling her to cut that shit out right now or I'll cut your damn feet off Satan?

He knows he's on camera and there are too many busybodies in the world. I suspect the kid knows he's not going to do anything too and is taking advantage.

I'm feeling especially salty lately and feel like I hate everything, because now I have a new one I abhor.

The McDonald's ad where all the people hum the stupid pick 2 theme makes me so glad I no longer work in an office.  The woman at the end with the squishy face like "nailed it" makes me want to stick her pen up her nostril.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, mojoween said:

My family has shopped on Thanksgiving. (It's family bonding! Just in a store!) But that ad is annoying in that it says "Thursday" like it's just any old Thursday.  I also read some press release where it talked about how Walmart has been open on Thanksgiving for the past 30 years.  It's a bit disingenuous  because while that might be true, the supercenters were open mainly because of their function as a grocery store. Most major grocery stores are open on Thanksgiving, but they close at 2 or 4 PM., and Walmart used to, too.  I personally don't really care if stores are open on Thanksgiving, but don't try to gloss over it and fool people. 

Edited by tanyak
  • Love 4

I don't care WHY Ariana Grande is wearing that coat. I'm just saying it's dumb looking and doesn't fit her well at all. And, I'm old too and didn't realize she and the map guy were aps until someone mentioned it here. It makes a little more sense now.

• Love 4
On 11/19/2016 at 4:04 AM, hoosiermom said:

I can't stand Ariana Grande either. Why is she wearing that oversized lavender coat with the fur on the hood in the freaking desert? I can't imagine her going along with that look knowing what a diva she is!

What makes me laugh at that commercial is when it starts, we're shown who is singing and what song it is.  That means that T-Mobile wants everybody to download the song, and it also means they need to let the audience know who Ariana Grande is.  It's not that many of us are old farts, but stuff is so segmented and separate in today's society, there isn't an artist like say, Michael Jackson, who everybody, no matter their age, race or whatever, knew.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

At least she isn't wearing those weird cat ears she seems to wear all the time for no reason I can explain.

That is the most ridiculous affectation I have seen a 'celebrity' assume for a long time.

It's right up there with wearing a wall clock around your neck.

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 7

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but that Bud Light ad with Lady Gaga"WHERE DO YOU THINK YOURE GOINNG..."

I swear Spike and FX run this ad in almost every other commercial break lol..

I just wish someone would answer her so she'd stop wailing "Where do you think you're going?" In the immortal words of Prince: "Shut up already! Damn!"

• Love 6
On 11/19/2016 at 9:18 AM, mojoween said:

I do like the way the driver says "but I gotta get home."  Her inflection is cute.

One thing that confuses me, if I am remembering correctly.  When Ariana hits the bricks Map gets up front and says "that way."  But Driver was already going that way and they were on a long stretch of straight road, were they not?  If she had to turn around and go the other way, Map was doing a shitty job and perhaps HE should have been the one to bounce.

My navigation does this. I'll be going down a road, and it'll tell me to keep going down that road. Maybe she just turned on the GPS? Maybe I'm overthinking this??

Confession: I like the way Ariana says, "Girl. You gotta get T-Mobile!" She usually annoys me, to no end. 

8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

At least she isn't wearing those weird cat ears she seems to wear all the time for no reason I can explain.

I don't know why I know this but she used to be on a tween show called...something and Kat. She played Kat. My understanding is the cat ears thing started from that and for reasons unknown continued when she branched off to be primarily a pop singer.

See me.  See Me.  SEE ME!!!!  Gah I hate these damn prescription commercials!

On 11/21/2016 at 5:30 PM, peacheslatour said:

So now we're talking about Katy Perry?

OMG.  I just looked this up!  Her cat ears are FAR worse than Ariana Grande's!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

See me.  See Me.  SEE ME!!!!  Gah I hate these damn prescription commercials!

The first album I ever owned was The Who's Tommy - if you say "see me" like that, I expect "feel me, touch me, heal me" to follow.

• Love 14
5 minutes ago, Jamoche said:

The first album I ever owned was The Who's Tommy - if you say "see me" like that, I expect "feel me, touch me, heal me" to follow.

You betcha!  This ad doesn't.  It is people shouting at me to ignore their psoriasis.

And that's another thing: I know that it is harmless, but I don't want crusty stuff hanging over the salad bar!

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 3

Since it's Xmas season, it's time for a bunch of new car ads, but there's this one in particular that annoys the crap out of me which features a douchbag euro-Santa with a couple elf babes at his side making lame puns and catch phrases in response to the car salesman like "pimp my sleigh" and "add some pifizzle to my sleigh" and "are you jingling my bells?"! I can feel my blood pressure spiking whenever I see it.

• Love 11
13 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

Since it's Xmas season, it's time for a bunch of new car ads, but there's this one in particular that annoys the crap out of me which features a douchbag euro-Santa with a couple elf babes at his side making lame puns and catch phrases in response to the car salesman like "pimp my sleigh" and "add some pifizzle to my sleigh" and "are you jingling my bells?"! I can feel my blood pressure spiking whenever I see it.

Makes me wonder what happened to Mrs Claus.

• Love 4
On 11/21/2016 at 11:52 AM, iMonrey said:

She's bonded with them -- she has a line for Cover Girl called Katy Kat, and the logo is little cat ears.

Edited by ennui
Not stuck, as Blergh pointed out.
19 hours ago, ennui said:

She's stuck with them -- she has a line for Cover Girl called Katy Kat, and the logo is little cat ears.

If Miss Perry agreed to do that line with that logo, she CHOSE to do it for the money and is not really 'stuck'. It's not as though this was foisted upon her against her will as much as we individually may dislike said logo.  I wonder if she'll do any nods to Josie and the Pussycats?

• Love 2

Seriously if I see that car commercial with the stupid "business in the front, party in the back" lady again,  I am going to hurl something at an ad exec.   Do they NOT know what party in the back of a car implies?   Do they want people to think their car is for having sex in the back seat?   Do grown adults actually say "business in the front, party in the back" and be expected to be taken seriously about anything?

• Love 8
12 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Seriously if I see that car commercial with the stupid "business in the front, party in the back" lady again,  I am going to hurl something at an ad exec.   Do they NOT know what party in the back of a car implies?   Do they want people to think their car is for having sex in the back seat?   Do grown adults actually say "business in the front, party in the back" and be expected to be taken seriously about anything?

I thought the comment, "business in the front, party in the back" was a joke about the mullet hairstyle.

• Love 10
On 11/20/2016 at 0:29 AM, TDT said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but that Bud Light ad with Lady Gaga"WHERE DO YOU THINK YOURE GOINNG..."

I swear Spike and FX run this ad in almost every other commercial break lol..

Ugh. Bravo had this in heavy rotation too. The song itself isn't so bad, but just hearing that piece over and over and over is enough to drive one mad...

And add me to the list of those happy to see Ariana Grande stranded in the desert (temporarily, I'm sure, as she probably has her TMobile phone at the ready).

17 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I thought the comment, "business in the front, party in the back" was a joke about the mullet hairstyle.

It is, but it doesn't, IMO, translate to a car scenario because of said implications of what a party in the backseat of a car entails. Also, the mullet is SO over and please God never comes back again, so the comment is at best very dated. Kinda hard to take you seriously when you're apparently still pining for your mullet days.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, forumfish said:

I have found my first stabby holiday commercial -- the one where Grandma is reading her granddaughter's social media post, and the little ingrate is comparing Grandma's house to the "gates of hell" because of lack of wifi. So Grandma and Grandpa go shopping and tech-up the place, so their precious selfish grandchild will have fun while she's there for the holidays.

If I was that grandma, I'd open the door and tell the brat, "welcome to the gates of hell, dear. Here's a toothbrush -- scrub all the floors."

Yes to this so many times, and ask the brats mom to take away all electronics.

• Love 4

My grandmother's house feels like Hell because of how hot it is in there on Christmas Eve.

My mother takes away my nieces' phones and gives them back when they are leaving. You don't play on your phones at your grandmother's at Christmas. You can manage to be with your family four hours out of the year.

• Love 23
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I dunno, some people actually love their grandchildren and want to have fun with them.

That's true, but what bugs me about that commercial is that the grandparents seem to tech up their home just so their granddaughter can have a good time, for what, one, two weeks?  It's one thing if the grandparents tech up'ed their home because THEY wanted to, besides, wifi can be expensive.

• Love 12

It's a stupid commercial, but there is no need to be hateful about it. I mean she's just a kid, they tend to talk that way. God knows I wasn't thrilled to go to my grandma's house when I was a teenager. But it looked to me like the grandparents were trying to make their home more welcoming to the younger generation and I applaud that. That's what families do when they want to encourage their younger relatives to remember how much fun it was to go to grandma's. And it doesn't have be technology. My grandparents had horses. They made sure that I had my own saddle and let me name some of the colts. It made me feel welcome and wanted.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

It's one thing if the grandparents tech up'ed their home because THEY wanted to, besides, wifi can be expensive.

Internet service can be expensive. Assuming their house isn't giant, many an adequate router can be had for less than the cost of a pair of sneakers. So if they had internet access, but not wifi, this need not be an expensive endeavor. I mean, I agree with your general premise: if they wanted to tech up their house in general, bully for them. No need to do it for one houseguest they may or not may not see frequently. But if the premise were they had to go buy a ton of stuff to have wifi in their house, that's rubbish.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I would have called that bratty teenager and said "Don't come, then!".

I've been the teenager dragged along to things where I'd have nothing to do and not given the option to back out. It's not like the kid was complaining *to* the grandparents.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Jamoche said:

I've been the teenager dragged along to things where I'd have nothing to do and not given the option to back out. It's not like the kid was complaining *to* the grandparents.

Except the kid posted on facebook, that the grandparents have access to.  I was also dragged along to relatives' houses when I didn't want to go.  When you are a kid, you suck it up and be gracious, or you don't get to go at all.  Plus, the grandparents may have been on a fixed income.  I wouldn't go into debt over an ungrateful teenager.  Be thankful you HAVE grandparents.

• Love 15
5 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Except the kid posted on facebook, that the grandparents have access to.  I was also dragged along to relatives' houses when I didn't want to go.  When you are a kid, you suck it up and be gracious, or you don't get to go at all.  Plus, the grandparents may have been on a fixed income.  I wouldn't go into debt over an ungrateful teenager.  Be thankful you HAVE grandparents.

So they've got internet already, and all they needed was an equipment upgrade, which Comcast hands out like party favors - try convincing them you don't need 3 TV boxes because you've only got one TV.

I'd have been thrilled to be told "you don't get to go". It was never an option.

• Love 1

I'd have been thrilled to be told "you don't get to go". It was never an option.

Same here. And as much as I didn't want to go, I was always sweet to my grandma and I did love her.

Now on to something we can all agree on; that stupid fucking, condescending "just a sandwich" commercial. Really? You're comparing a medical degree to a sandwich? STFUAGBTW.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

I understand there are some sulky teenagers who don't want to go to their grandparents' house, but what got me was the brat putting the grandparents on blast on facebook.

• Love 14
33 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Julia Roberts in the Estée Lauder commercial. Actually, Julia Roberts in anything is highly annoying. In this ad, she just glides around in a long white dress with an inane smile. At the end, she has a bigger smile with her huge, chiclet teeth on display. Gag.

^^^THIS!  LOL!

• Love 3