Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I may have mentioned this before but there's an asthma meds commercial that is bizarre too. It starts with a lady saying something like, "I love the outdoors. So when my asthma symptoms came back, my doctor said blah, blah, blah."

"Came back"? Why is she talking like we are already familiar with her history with asthma? I forget the name of the product but it seems like the commercials have been badly edited for time. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

I hate, HATE these new Toyota commercials with these num-nuts singing "You Don't Own Me"!!  And then the guys on the bike singing too, WTF?  And then the girl at the end who starts to drift off into another lane--hey Miss Independent keep your eyes on the road.

• Love 9
On 10/31/2016 at 0:50 AM, Sandman87 said:

If hipster girl wants to get that promotion, she might want to do something about professionalizing her hair. Like combing it, for instance.

Her hair and her clothes make her look like a little girl playing dress up with Mommy's work clothes. Maybe I've just become a judgy old lady, but in my day we tried to look polished if we wanted to speak to the boss about a raise or promotion.

On 11/1/2016 at 2:08 PM, ennui said:

Regarding the drug warnings, there's one that admonishes "do not take this drug if you are allergic to it or its ingredients," that tells me people are taking it when they shouldn't. The doctor gave it to them, so they take it.

I used to be super annoyed by this until I realized how few people pay attention to multi-ingredient medications. There was a rash of acetaminophen overdoses a few years back because folks would take multi-symptom cold medicine and also take Tylenol, not paying attention to the fact that the painkiller in the multi was the same active ingredient as the brand name painkiller they were taking. [The blank looks I get when I call drugs by their generic names is priceless; I'm both a cheap person and also a stickler for copyright, so I generally take store brand ibuprofen instead of Advil.]

• Love 7

There's a new gawd-damn Liberty Mutual ad with a guy whining about how he has no input into how much he pays for his insurance and how his driving record has no influence on it. Newsflash, moron; you're wrong about both things.

• Love 9

Yeah. Starting with the blonde with the poisonously sugary smile and voice who didn't bother to read her policy because the words seemed to be too hard to focus on, they seem to be getting angrier about not understanding what they've signed, and that it's not their fault but the insurance company's. Wrong, but that must be working for Liberty. Sigh.

• Love 11

Allstate has a commercial with the cute girl telling her Dad that because he has "accident forgiveness" in his policy, his rates won't go up because of a fender bender. Seems like the same kind of coverage, so it's certainly not unique to Liberty Mutual. And Allstate's commercials are amusing rather than annoying.

My favorite insurance ads are Farmers - the synchronized swimming dogs crack me up every time.

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Allstate has a commercial with the cute girl telling her Dad that because he has "accident forgiveness" in his policy, his rates won't go up because of a fender bender. Seems like the same kind of coverage, so it's certainly not unique to Liberty Mutual. And Allstate's commercials are amusing rather than annoying.

Indeed.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

My favorite insurance ads are Farmers - the synchronized swimming dogs crack me up every time.

Overall, I love Geico ads the most, and then Farmers. I like Progressive the least because I can't stand Flo.

• Love 2
On 10/27/2016 at 2:01 PM, callmebetty said:

And the way that Douche says "Hold the/my baby". Go F yourself .,douche.

That's actually the reason I like this commercial.  If Taco Bell guy is basically being coerced to hold the baby, he's gonna do it his way, while still enjoying his rolled up tacos!

• Love 1

Indeed.

Right?  I hate kids, and yet that little girl cracks me up.

Commercials are really something.  Among the organizations easiest to make people hate are the IRS and insurance agencies.  Yet these "pay 1/10th of what you owe" commercials for debt consolidation agencies and "Never mind how insurance works; pay for us up front and feel better" commercials for Liberty Mutual manage to make numerous viewers angry rather than sympathetic.  How shitty do you have to be to make insurance companies or the IRS look reasonable and fair by comparison?

• Love 3
8 hours ago, chessiegal said:

The first time I saw that ad, I swore he was saying "Mer-Mice" and then dogs came out, so I was massively confused. It wasn't until I saw the plaque at the end reading "Mer-Mutts" that I got it. I still think it sounds like "Mer-Mice".

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Amethyst said:

On 10/27/2016 at 3:01 PM, callmebetty said:

And the way that Douche says "Hold the/my baby". Go F yourself .,douche.

That's actually the reason I like this commercial.  If Taco Bell guy is basically being coerced to hold the baby, he's gonna do it his way, while still enjoying his rolled up tacos!

It makes no sense to me why a couple would insist that a greasy fingered stranger should hold their baby.  Gross.

• Love 11
15 minutes ago, Haleth said:

It makes no sense to me why a couple would insist that a greasy fingered stranger should hold their baby.  Gross.

Exactly .  But the douche entitled way he says Hold my baby. No! I just met you plus I'm eating . 

• Love 10

Among the organizations easiest to make people hate are the IRS 

It's a radio ad, not TV, but it's someone talking about owing the IRS a ton of money, with some sob story about having to shut down their business...then they hire this lawyer and poof! they only owe a few thousand! Which enrages me...pay your taxes, asshole, so I'm not stuck with the burden. If you owe a ton of taxes you are making >1 ton of money. 

• Love 11

There are also a series of TV ads for the same thing, @bad things are bad, and they piss me off for the same reason - "You  weaseled your way out of paying the large tax bill you owe, so now I have to help pick up the difference.  Thanks a lot, asshole!"

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 9

Hey, asshole...if you knew you would have to PAY to pick up a pizza at the STORE you went into, why did you leave your money in the car? Shaking your kid so five bucks falls out and making him make that godawful noise is a fast track to me wanting to stab you with a pizza slicer.

Also, there is tax buttknob so five bucks isn't enough.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, bad things are bad said:

If you owe a ton of taxes you are making >1 ton of money.

Actually, it means you were making >1 ton of money. Businesses can start collapsing for reasons that aren't its fault. After the bank pulls its credit line, desperate owners may stiff the IRS in April and use that money to try to keep going.

5 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Also, there is tax buttknob so five bucks isn't enough.

That depends on the area. There can be an exception for certain prepared foods that you can buy in grocery stores, with pizza being one of them, as long as the store doesn't have anywhere to sit down and eat.

• Love 1

How about the lady whose kitchen smells so badly of garbage it's like there's a giant dumpster where the kitchen island is? And she's gone "nose-blind" to the smell, apparently, so her solution is to Febreeze the hell out of her kitchen. Instead of, oh I don't know, taking out the garbage. Are we still pretending Febreeze has some sci-fi like ability to "erase" odors instead of just overpowering them like any other room deodorizer? And maybe I'm just not throwing enough rotten food away (I have very little food waste in my home; my garbage is mostly cans, wrappers and other containers) but my trash never smells that bad.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Hey, asshole...if you knew you would have to PAY to pick up a pizza at the STORE you went into, why did you leave your money in the car? Shaking your kid so five bucks falls out and making him make that godawful noise is a fast track to me wanting to stab you with a pizza slicer.

What disturbs me is all the people who've been complaining to Little Caesar's about child abuse and child endangerment. It's just a commercial. I laughed, so I guess I'm a horrible person.

• Love 4

How about the lady whose kitchen smells so badly of garbage it's like there's a giant dumpster where the kitchen island is? And she's gone "nose-blind" to the smell, apparently, so her solution is to Febreeze the hell out of her kitchen. Instead of, oh I don't know, taking out the garbage. Are we still pretending Febreeze has some sci-fi like ability to "erase" odors instead of just overpowering them like any other room deodorizer? And maybe I'm just not throwing enough rotten food away (I have very little food waste in my home; my garbage is mostly cans, wrappers and other containers) but my trash never smells that bad.

Sorry to get really gross, but my sister is a food hoarder, she has a drug problem and has lived in extreme poverty for years. She is also bi-polar, she has extreme mental health issues, they run in my family. Due to some bad things that have happened to me, some my own doing, some circumstances beyond my control, but I am living temporarily in her house. I will be moving as soon as I can, I hate it here. But she is nose blind to the stench that is her room. When she opens the door, the smell makes me gag, it's kind of a sweet, rotten oniony smell, sometimes with stale booze. There is probably stale booze there, she also drinks. She's also blind to the flies and other smells in the house. I'm not the most persnickety house keeper in the world, but this disgusts me. I'm doing my best, I've hung fly paper all over, take the trash out often, try to keep my own area as clean as I can  but it's going to be a couple more months before I can get out of here. Every time she opens her door, I think "it stinks in here, we need to wash this whole room". No amount of Fabreeze is going to help this. If I win the lottery (do need to buy tickets though) I'm having this house bulldozed and donating the land to Habitat for Humanity and putting my sister in one Dr Phil's rehabs!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

How about the lady whose kitchen smells so badly of garbage it's like there's a giant dumpster where the kitchen island is? And she's gone "nose-blind" to the smell, apparently, so her solution is to Febreeze the hell out of her kitchen. Instead of, oh I don't know, taking out the garbage. Are we still pretending Febreeze has some sci-fi like ability to "erase" odors instead of just overpowering them like any other room deodorizer? And maybe I'm just not throwing enough rotten food away (I have very little food waste in my home; my garbage is mostly cans, wrappers and other containers) but my trash never smells that bad.

It's like the "stank face" Tidy Cats commercial.  If your house stinks, maybe you need to clean the litter box more often! It's not rocket science, people!

• Love 7

And J.K. Simmons--I love him!

That's actually the reason I like this commercial.  If Taco Bell guy is basically being coerced to hold the baby, he's gonna do it his way, while still enjoying his rolled up tacos!

It makes me laugh, first the way the guy says "hold my baby" so abruptly, and the other guy putting the sauce on top of the baby's head!

Are we still pretending Febreeze has some sci-fi like ability to "erase" odors instead of just overpowering them like any other room deodorizer?

Febreze is the worst; makes me feel like my throat is closing up.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

And maybe I'm just not throwing enough rotten food away (I have very little food waste in my home; my garbage is mostly cans, wrappers and other containers) but my trash never smells that bad.

I live alone, so it takes me longer to have a trash bag full, too. I always rinse out everything that might stink up the trash in a day or two, like that absorbent pad under meat. Food that needs to be pitched sits in a gallon ziplock in the crisper drawer of the fridge until I'm taking out the trash.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Febreze is the worst; makes me feel like my throat is closing up.

I have read some very bad things about the chemicals in Febreze; I won't use it.  I bag up stinky stuff and put it outside.  And we don't waste food so there isn't much to begin with.

• Love 2

The only active ingredient in Febreze is the alcohol, which is why it works for lifting smells out of clothes, but a spray bottle full of cheap vodka works just as well - it's an old actor's trick for extending the time between washes for costumes. The perfumes can't do anything but mask a smell - but hey, spray your Febreze in the air and you'll have to buy more of it!

• Love 5

ennui, no, the room that smells that bad is her bedroom, she spends most of her time shut away. She needs a lot more help than I can ever give her. And it probably doesn't help, but I get too angry with her. The best thing will be for me to get out of here and I am trying.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Jamoche said:

The only active ingredient in Febreze is the alcohol, which is why it works for lifting smells out of clothes, but a spray bottle full of cheap vodka works just as well - it's an old actor's trick for extending the time between washes for costumes. 

Really? I'd be afraid everyone would just think I was a raging alcoholic. I know vodka is supposed to be odorless, but still...

• Love 2
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I don't know how people can be nose blind to their kitchen garbage.  What stinks up our garbage is when there's a meat tray in there and it doesn't get taken out soon enough.  You notice it right when you walk in the front door.  Maybe those people never leave their house, and that's why they're nose blind to it.

What stinks up our garbage is when there's a meat tray in there and it doesn't get taken out soon enough. 

Especially chicken or, god forbid, broccoli.  Thank goodness the cats only eat dry food, so I don't have any stinky, dead canned food to toss. Neither Stella nor Bosco like wet food - not even the expensive Paul Newman stuff.

I've got a can of the Febreeze room stuff I got from my old job. The office was closing, so Boss let me take supplies, etc.  I find it does no better than a can of Glade would, but actually, IMO, has a better scent than Glade.

18 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I have read some very bad things about the chemicals in Febreze; I won't use it.  I bag up stinky stuff and put it outside.  And we don't waste food so there isn't much to begin with.

Okay, I'll confess: I live alone, so I don't fill up the trash bag that quickly, and I don't always bag vegetable trimmings (peels, stems, etc.) separately, so it can get a little smelly sometimes.  But I SMELL it and try to take the bag out even if I'm wasting space in the bag.

As for the "stank face" cat litter commercial - when you work all day, you can come home to some serious stank even if you just cleaned the litter box that morning.  Particularly if you have more than one cat.  All those suckers do is eat, sleep and poop.

That said, Febreze works well on fabrics which can't be washed, but the air version is little more than an air freshener.

15 hours ago, janie jones said:

I don't know how people can be nose blind to their kitchen garbage.  What stinks up our garbage is when there's a meat tray in there and it doesn't get taken out soon enough.  You notice it right when you walk in the front door.  Maybe those people never leave their house, and that's why they're nose blind to it.

Vegetable matter gets pretty smelly, especially onions, and quickly too.

Edited by proserpina65
18 hours ago, Jamoche said:

The only active ingredient in Febreze is the alcohol, which is why it works for lifting smells out of clothes, but a spray bottle full of cheap vodka works just as well - it's an old actor's trick for extending the time between washes for costumes. 

I'm not sure I would do that -- it would probably prompt my employer send me over to the clinic for a quick drug screen. However, vodka does have numerous household uses. I've used it to clean diamonds. 

I missed the comments about the IRS ads. I believe the IRS will negotiate on interest and penalties, but not on the principle. So, when people say they knocked thousands from their bill, it indicates to me that it's a very old debt and the interest has been piling up for years.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Brattinella said:

My dog rolled around all over a dead bird a few years back.  He stunk.  He was too big for me to bathe him by myself so while waiting for my husband to get off work, I washed him off with a washcloth.  He still stunk so I sprayed some Febreze on him -- without reading the label.  Dog's hair fell out in the area where I had sprayed him.  Label says don't use on pets.  So yeah, there's some bad stuff in there.

His hair grew back. 

• Love 2

I came home to what smelled like dead animal farts, and it turned out to be cabbage that I had JUST gotten from the farmer's market that had a tiny rotten spot. It was one of the most awful things I have ever smelled in my life. And being the cheapass that I am, I sliced off the bad part and ate the rest - it was fine. :)

• Love 8
7 hours ago, ennui said:

I'm not sure I would do that -- it would probably prompt my employer send me over to the clinic for a quick drug screen.

A cheap bottle of rubbing alcohol works pretty well. You can get one that's something like 90% alcohol and nothing else but water, so there's no residual smell. In the mean time, you can say you overdid it working out.

• Love 1

I've woken up in the middle of the night to take a bag of trash out that had rotting chicken bits in it LOL 

I can't seem to get rid of the extra quote things and post outside the quote blocks, I've tried refreshing, posting in a couple of other threads so now I give up. I just wanted to give a true confession of something really rotten that I did many years ago but after typing it, I don't think I will, it's really not very nice, but it does involve raw frozen chicken left behind for someone I was really pissed off at.

• Love 2