Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

iMonrey, I like that ad.  The "I read books" is funny because it's unexpected.  There's a book that teaches you how to talk to animals? 

And it's funny because "I read" is a snarky, rude, dismissive comment that smart-asses say when asked "How do you know that?"  So seeing this backwoods guy say it to animals is kind of a spin on that.

That's how I see it anyway. 

• Love 3
On 9/4/2016 at 8:04 PM, tanyak said:

And along those lines, I really hate the one where the guy got into an accident and his insurer was like "You chose the wrong plan." And he says "No, I chose the wrong insurance company." And then the ad launches into accident forgiveness or whatever product they are pushing. Forgive me for being confused, but don't you have to select most of these items as part of your coverage? In other words, choose your plan? And if all of these things are magically covered under Liberty's standard plan, aren't you probably paying out of the nose for it in the first place instead of just adding the coverages you want? Tell me again why this is better? On the whole, most of the ads are just meh, but this one really annoys.

The thing is, accident forgiveness is not a function of which plan/which company you choose; it's dictated on a state by state basis. I first found out about the accident forgiveness thing because the person who took my statement when I had a one-car accident (full disclosure- I have Liberty Mutual) told me that I qualified based on the state I live in and the fact that it was my first claim with them. I didn't choose it as an extra option and he said that all of the insurance companies provide it in my state.

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, St. Claire said:

The thing is, accident forgiveness is not a function of which plan/which company you choose; it's dictated on a state by state basis. 

The Liberty Mutual tv commercials have fine print that explains how some features are not available in certain states. Most of the things LM brags about are not available to me, so I don't know why I have to suffer through the commercials.

I did hear a LM commercial on the radio, and it says that the new car replacement value is less the depreciation. They don't make that clear in the tv ads. Considering how many people are underwater on their car loans, I suspect there are some unhappy customers on that one.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, ennui said:

The Liberty Mutual tv commercials have fine print that explains how some features are not available in certain states. Most of the things LM brags about are not available to me, so I don't know why I have to suffer through the commercials.

I did hear a LM commercial on the radio, and it says that the new car replacement value is less the depreciation. They don't make that clear in the tv ads. Considering how many people are underwater on their car loans, I suspect there are some unhappy customers on that one.

Didn't they have a commercial all about not understanding how depreciation works?

• Love 6
16 hours ago, bluepiano said:

The most annoying of the many Tina Fey commercials is the new one where she tries to bribe a fellow passenger on an airplane into giving her his salad by paying for his in-flight movie with her AmEx card. Apparently having an AmEx card enables you to run roughshod over mere mortals, who can't afford to have both the salad they wanted and pay for their in-flight movie. (And if he was giving her the salad because she's Tina Fey, he's an idiot, because he could've held out for at least a grand or two).

What really annoys me is that she refuses to accept the fact that she can't get a g*ddamn salad because there aren't anymore.   With normal people, it happens and you just go "oh well" and get on with your life.  But noooooo, she just has to annoy the crap out of the poor guy who is trying to eat his salad in peace.  

I loathe her.   

• Love 5

The "I read books" is funny because it's unexpected.  There's a book that teaches you how to talk to animals?

It just seems like someone was high on acid when they wrote this commercial. The fact that he's sitting out in the middle of the woods, alone, eating bratwurst, is random enough by itself, but then animals come up to him and start asking him about it. It's almost as if the message is "Eat our bratwurst when you're stoned out of your mind." Or else they are implying that bratwurst will get you high. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, ennui said:

I did hear a LM commercial on the radio, and it says that the new car replacement value is less the depreciation.

So, in other words, they give you the current value of the car. That's no different from what all insurance companies do when you total a car, new or otherwise. The commercial makes it sound like they give you back what you paid for the car as long as the accident happens within a certain time after purchase. At least that's what the, "I guess they don't want you driving around on three wheels" line is supposed to imply. Since a new car depreciates by 10% the instant you drive it off the lot and then another 10 to 15% over the first year, they're not going to pay anyone enough to walk back into a dealership and buy the same car again with no out-of-pocket expense. The Liberty Mutual commercials don't bother me and I mostly tune them out, but that seems pretty deceptive.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It just seems like someone was high on acid when they wrote this commercial. The fact that he's sitting out in the middle of the woods, alone, eating bratwurst, is random enough by itself, but then animals come up to him and start asking him about it. It's almost as if the message is "Eat our bratwurst when you're stoned out of your mind." Or else they are implying that bratwurst will get you high. 

Bratwurst = munchie food?

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

So, in other words, they give you the current value of the car. That's no different from what all insurance companies do when you total a car, new or otherwise. The commercial makes it sound like they give you back what you paid for the car as long as the accident happens within a certain time after purchase. At least that's what the, "I guess they don't want you driving around on three wheels" line is supposed to imply. Since a new car depreciates by 10% the instant you drive it off the lot and then another 10 to 15% over the first year, they're not going to pay anyone enough to walk back into a dealership and buy the same car again with no out-of-pocket expense. The Liberty Mutual commercials don't bother me and I mostly tune them out, but that seems pretty deceptive.

I went to the Liberty Mutual website to see if they clarify. They have two options, New Car Replacement (your car is less than one year, fewer than 15,000 miles), or Better Car Replacement (if your car is older, they will replace it with a one year newer model). And they sell Gap Insurance for people who might be underwater on their loans/car value, just like everybody else.

I feel like I want to review their website with "only lawyers read this stuff, and your website says blah-blah-blah-blah-blah." 

• Love 10
On August 22, 2016 at 10:51 PM, Stacey1014 said:

The Dominos salad twit can go at any time. Buy the girl a bagged salad and order your pizza. 

I hate that girl's face and shrugged shoulders so very much.

Lily from AT&T is perfection even though I also hate her ads.  "And we're back" makes me laugh, however.

• Love 4

I'm sooo glad ITT Tech went out of business (my sympathies to anyone who got screwed by this) because now I never have to hear that Russian woman say ITTTech all run together 4,386 times in each commercial.  I hated all of their damned ads but that one was the worst.

• Love 8

I hate that girl's face and shrugged shoulders so very much.

I just don't even get that commercial at all. I mean, the family is ordering food. The girl doesn't want that food. Figure it out. Why are they even considering deferring to her? Why is this even a thing?

• Love 6

And that dog looks so sad and dejected that it makes me sad. 

I hate the beer commercials with Amy Schumer and Seth Rogen campaigning on the Bud Light ticket. In fact I hate all the politically themed commercials that pop up during election season, most of which feature a "debate" between the product/service being advertised and the competitor. They're never funny or clever. 

I'm glad someone else mentioned the Domino's salad ads. Never in my history of ordering pizzas with family, friends, or co-workers has anyone demanded a salad and tanked our pizza eating pleasure. As if the family of the salad dictator wouldn't already have bags of salad in the crisper for just such occasions OR they'd just tell her tough croutons, go make your own supper then. 

There's a new Gatorade "let's run the whole thing back" commercial and guess what? It sucks.

• Love 11

There was a back-to-school ad than ran a bunch before Labor Day. One mother tells us that her daughter spent the summer binge-watching and now she'll be binge studying. Next a dad says his daughter writes mostly in emojis, but soon she'll be writing prize-winning essays. Then a woman says the only Spanish word her son knows is burrito, but soon he'll practically be qualified to be a translator at the UN (not the exact wording but close.) Hate to tell you, mom with the daughter holding the gynormous soda as she binge watches TV, but your daughter is basically a zombie now. And dad, your daughter's reliance on using emojis has made her forget how to write the English language so she probably won't be winning any prizes for her essays. And burrito boy mom, how can you expect great things from your almost grown son when he doesn't even know how to use a fucking napkin to wipe his stupid face?

• Love 17
57 minutes ago, NinjaPenguins said:

hate the beer commercials with Amy Schumer and Seth Rogen campaigning on the Bud Light ticket.

I just really loathe Amy Schumer and Seth Rogen with the heat of a thousand whatevers.

58 minutes ago, NinjaPenguins said:

There's a new Gatorade "let's run the whole thing back" commercial and guess what? It sucks.

This ad SUPREMELY sucks, because the guy shouting the words is NOT SINGING.  It is a fucking SONG!

• Love 5

Have y'all seen this one for the red square pan? I don't know who Cathy Mitchell is but she has the most annoying voice in the world and seems to endorse any product sent her way. {small voice} i kind of want that pan though {/smallvoice}

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 8
19 hours ago, fishcakes said:

So, in other words, they give you the current value of the car. That's no different from what all insurance companies do when you total a car, new or otherwise.

Not quite. There's usually a deductible amount that's subtracted from the value of the car if it was your fault. You can make that amount go away by paying a higher premium, but unless you're in the habit of totaling a car every year, you're better off putting that difference in the bank.

17 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Have y'all seen this one for the red square pan? I don't know who Cathy Mitchell is but she has the most annoying voice in the world and seems to endorse any product sent her way. {small voice} i kind of want that pan though {/smallvoice}

I have seen some of her infomercials, and I agree about the wee little voice.  BUT I would eat just about anything she cooks; it all looks delicious!

16 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Have y'all seen this one for the red square pan? I don't know who Cathy Mitchell is but she has the most annoying voice in the world and seems to endorse any product sent her way.

It's the latest of the long line of commercials that proclaim that with ONE single cooking/cleaning/ whatever product, the viewer can instantly transform their lives from being outcast losers to being the most successful and popular member of their family and peer group.  However; in Miss Mitchell's case, does anyone else get the idea that these products could possibly ALSO have the effect of becoming as wide as one is tall ?

• Love 4

There's a new(ish) Sleep Number bed commercial, the one with the song "All Day and All of the Nights" (Kinks). The young woman wakes up and checks her smart phone, which tells her she slept great, best night ever or something like that. She doesn't know if she slept well? She needs to check the app? And then she skips across the room. 

If I worked at Sleep Number, I'd write the program so it said "OMG! Best sleep EVER! You should have bought this mattress years ago! Best money spent on anything in your whole life!" because apparently humans have lost the ability to think and self-assess.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, ennui said:

The young woman wakes up and checks her smart phone, which tells her she slept great, best night ever or something like that. She doesn't know if she slept well? She needs to check the app? And then she skips across the room. 

OK, so I don't know what ap they're pretending she looked at, if it's specific to the bed or what. But I'm going to be a half-hearted devil's advocate here: there are some smartwatch/wrist-based-devices that tie in to various health/activity tracking aps and one of the things it can monitor is if it seems like you're waking up a lot (which you wouldn't necessarily remember). Also some I think might even keep tabs on other vitals? So, you might wake up and feel shitty, even if you might feel like you didn't sleep poorly, or you might wake up and feel like you slept well, and then an hour later feel totally sluggish. If you knew from your ap you woke up for 15 seconds 12 times last night, that's different than if it implies you actually really slept through the night. So if you were a person who sometimes wakes up feeling OK but then has a groggy rebound, if you'd been tracking your mini-wakes and saw you had indeed really and truly slept through the night, you might be pretty jazzed to see that.

Then we beg the question of its accuracy and/or if placebo effect is in play.

I'm not even certain I've seen the exact ad you're talking about, and I'm not shilling the mattress. I'm just saying, the ap-check component doesn't necessarily imply lack of independent thought.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 8

there are some smartwatch/wrist-based-devices that tie in to various health/activity tracking aps

I understand that, but how on earth did the human race survive for centuries without apps? It's like people don't know how to function without their devices. Going back to the commercial, she checks her phone before she even gets out of bed. The phone gave her good news, so she's happy. She couldn't be happy all by herself?

I guess another analogy would be people who check the Weather Channel, instead of looking out the window.

• Love 11
9 hours ago, ennui said:

There's a new(ish) Sleep Number bed commercial, the one with the song "All Day and All of the Nights" (Kinks). The young woman wakes up and checks her smart phone, which tells her she slept great, best night ever or something like that. She doesn't know if she slept well? She needs to check the app? And then she skips across the room. 

If I worked at Sleep Number, I'd write the program so it said "OMG! Best sleep EVER! You should have bought this mattress years ago! Best money spent on anything in your whole life!" because apparently humans have lost the ability to think and self-assess.

This commercial seriously makes me stabby.  I don't even know how to describe the effect they use of the many images of the woman going through her day, then merging back into bed.  She's annoying.  The song use annoys me here.  Which annoys me because I like the song.  And I love the mattress.  But I hate the commercial.   I've been trying to decide whether to post my annoyance in this thread or the "Say What" thread, because I really don't understand the point of the whole thing.  But I'll piggyback on your annoyance and post here.

I really don't like this commercial.

• Love 7

I can't imagine ever having a mattress other than a Sleep Number after several years of enjoying one, but, yeah, I hate that commercial.  And my Sleep Number mattress is old, plus I don't have a smartphone, so mine is not sending me any sort of communication about how I slept.  I have no desire to add that feature.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Blergh said:

However; in Miss Mitchell's case, does anyone else get the idea that these products could possibly ALSO have the effect of becoming as wide as one is tall ?

I think she represents the Lollipop Guild.

• Love 5

In general, I hate all of the guaranteed life insurance ads, but the Mass Mutual one with the adult children selling mom's piano to pay her medical bills and funeral cost annoys me the most. First, in today's markets, pianos are a dime a dozen, there are too many electronic options available to the casual player and those take a lot less space in limited housing space. Then there's the medical bill thing. From what I understand, unless you specifically guaranteed payment, you do not have to pay your parent's medical bills. If you can, it's wonderful and you should. But what I read was there are about 20 states with old laws (dating back to colonial days) that allow medical creditors to go after family members for medical bills but they are rarely enforced and then only under special circumstances. These ads were made by the very corporations that have done all they could to put most Americans into crippling debt. And many Americans have fallen for the idea of living with crippling debt. Of course, if you want to have a funeral for mom, and she didn't make arrangements, you will have to pay for it. My mother bought one of those plans for herself after my father died, she died 9 years after he did and the plan did not completely pay for the funeral, we went fairly simple because that was her wish, but it still cost nearly $1000 more. I don't think I'll be having a funeral, can't afford to die and there is very little family locally. In the old days, family would come from all over, now they send an email or post a sad face on FB.

Guess I should also mention that if your parents have little income and few assets (house & car) and are on Medicaid, Medicaid will require their assets to be sold. I don't know if that would include Mom's piano or my doll collection - it's not worth much and I don't have Medicaid.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 5

And from what I understand, you usually have to be at least 50 to qualify.  When I lost my husband's unexpectedly in 2005(he was almost 42, I was 38), we had no life insurance, and I had to apply to Social Services for help with the "final expenses."

• Love 2

I don't want a funeral (I don't think anyone would come) and I've already paid for my cremation, so the life insurance policy my parents bought for me when I was a wee tot will have to cover any "final expenses" - a whopping $1,000 policy.  By the time I get infirm, I'll probably have a reverse mortgage, so my nephew won't even have to be concerned with selling my condo.  All he'll have to do is clean out my stuff & scatter my ashes wherever the hell he wants to. I don't care; I'll be dead.

But those commercials make me stabby. Why do people feel the need to have a big, expensive funeral?  Spend that money on appreciating the person while they're still alive.  When they're dead, what difference will it make?  Are they afraid "other people" will think they didn't love mom enough to send her off in style?  Screw that.

• Love 16

I can't stand the Camry commercials with the two brothers racing.  Really, those two brothers grew up dreaming of racing cars, and those cars were Toyota Camrys? 

I don't get their strategy with these commercials at all.  The Camry is one of the best selling cars in American, has been for years, and first they come up with "be bold" or something.  Is it really bold to buy the best selling car that many people have?  That's the opposite of bold.  Then they come up with this latest one, where the Camry is supposed to be viewed as some great car to sprint around and race around in?  I don't understand what they are doing.  Its a good car, but they seem to be trying to market it the exact opposite of its image.  Are they trying to open up to new markets or new demographics, like a younger demographic?  Sorry, but a Camry is not going to be viewed as some cool envied car among the youth

• Love 5

I'm not crazy about this trend of using super annoying siblings to sell cars. Remember the Dodge brothers from a while back?

I don't want a funeral (I don't think anyone would come)

I will! And I'll bring friends! :)

• Love 7
On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 3:41 PM, proserpina65 said:

Didn't they have a commercial all about not understanding how depreciation works?

Yes. A man whined about getting into an accident as he left the parking lot with his new car.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 3:43 PM, Ohwell said:

What really annoys me is that she refuses to accept the fact that she can't get a g*ddamn salad because there aren't anymore.   With normal people, it happens and you just go "oh well" and get on with your life.  But noooooo, she just has to annoy the crap out of the poor guy who is trying to eat his salad in peace.  

I loathe her.   

What makes that AmEx ad worse is after Tina negotiates for his salad she starts trying to demand what he's going to watch -- something with her in it, it sounded like.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 9:48 PM, roamyn said:

The Dos Equis New Most Interesting Man idea is on a par to New Coke.

I'm betting the original guy will return at some point.

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I'm not crazy about this trend of using super annoying siblings to sell cars. Remember the Dodge brothers from a while back?

Yes, but those were about two actual brothers who started the company, not just a couple of random guys who think a Camry is a cool car.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I can't stand the Camry commercials with the two brothers racing.  Really, those two brothers grew up dreaming of racing cars, and those cars were Toyota Camrys? 

I don't get their strategy with these commercials at all.  The Camry is one of the best selling cars in American, has been for years, and first they come up with "be bold" or something.  Is it really bold to buy the best selling car that many people have?  That's the opposite of bold.  Then they come up with this latest one, where the Camry is supposed to be viewed as some great car to sprint around and race around in?  I don't understand what they are doing.  Its a good car, but they seem to be trying to market it the exact opposite of its image.  Are they trying to open up to new markets or new demographics, like a younger demographic?  Sorry, but a Camry is not going to be viewed as some cool envied car among the youth

Toyota races the Camry in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.  Well, a highly modified version of the Camry, but I think that's supposed to be the association.

• Love 1