Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I am sick of seeing the Red Cross  commercial for donations.  Where the kid is in a desert location, and 'snow' is falling that's actually ashes from the neighbor's house burning down.   

The latest version has sirens getting closer, but that wasn't in the original version.    So, the mother is standing watching the neighbor's house burn down, and doing nothing about calling for help, or getting her kid out of the ashes blowing by.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Sad 4
58 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Right now, I can't be outraged at anything. I'm sitting in my recliner and Stella is on the footrest next to me, curled up, and making little kitty-snoring noises. She's just too damn cute to outraged.

Happy Solstice, everyone!

OT: My cat named Stella too!

dang its a popular name for pets! 😮

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On my local news radio station (880 in NYC) there's this incredibly annoying ad for a personal injury attorney group. 90% of the ad is an obnoxious song, and 100% of the times that the firm's name is mentioned (it's the three lawyers names) it's in song. Unintelligible. I've tried several times. So what a waste of money!

• Like 1
On 12/14/2023 at 9:02 AM, proserpina65 said:

But it's Kristin Bell and Dax Shepard, both of whom I find insufferable anyway.

I’ve caught (I think) two different commercials of theirs and with all of their mugging and over-acting, it seems like the commercials are all about them instead of the product/service.  Kinda like the Guy Fieri commercial where the only point seemed to be the pronunciation of his name.

• LOL 6

I haaaaaate the BMW commercial where dad whined "but I don't wanna wear my new ski suit" and goes back inside.  Then the family leaves and realizes dad isn't with them, so they go back and he comes out of the house in an orange ski suit yelling "who's ready to shred some pow!" (WTF????) And then the woman says "floor it".  Did dad get in the car, or did she change her mind about taking him and wants out?  I don't understand it.  And I hate it.  The whining and the yelling and, well, everything about it.  Blech.

• Like 7
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

I haaaaaate the BMW commercial where dad whined "but I don't wanna wear my new ski suit" and goes back inside.  Then the family leaves and realizes dad isn't with them, so they go back and he comes out of the house in an orange ski suit yelling "who's ready to shred some pow!" (WTF????) And then the woman says "floor it".  Did dad get in the car, or did she change her mind about taking him and wants out?  I don't understand it.  And I hate it.  The whining and the yelling and, well, everything about it.  Blech.

I mostly have the TV on for backround noise so I didn't see that. Yuck.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, marceline said:

Just a few more days before I never have to see this commercial again. Seriously, Old Navy Christmas commercials are just the worst. Last year it was Jennifer Coolidge, this year Natasha Lyonne.

Ugh, I can't stand her in those commercials! 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, ebk57 said:

And there are two cars and we never see who is in the other car, also a shot of the back seat where we see two random kids!  Shred some pow? Has anyone ever actually uttered those words?

I am guessing there is a longer version of this spot that we have never seen.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
9 hours ago, Haleth said:

Maybe she's in her Poker Face character.  Charlie would steal a toboggan.

Thank you; I've been meaning to ask for weeks now if she's behaving and speaking the way she does in these commercials because of the character she's currently playing (I've never seen the show), but always forget by the time I get back on the computer.  I've always liked Lyonne in the roles I've seen (which, granted, has not been since she was playing teens), but I can't stand these commercials.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

And there are two cars and we never see who is in the other car, also a shot of the back seat where we see two random kids!  Shred some pow? Has anyone ever actually uttered those words?

OMG - if there's a longer version of that spot, I hope I never, ever, ever have to see it.  Yikes.

• Like 5
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

And there are two cars and we never see who is in the other car

My impression is that it's the two brothers (that we saw in the beach chair saga earlier this year) in the two cars. They are talking to each other over the bluetooth connected phones.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I read this wrong as "..a longer version of this spot we never have to see"

to which I agree with:

52 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

OMG - if there's a longer version of that spot, I hope I never, ever, ever have to see it.  Yikes.

I think the only people who "shred pow" are the bad actors in the bad ski movies from the 80s -you know, they involve some underdog nerd having to ski the K12 (or other similarly named barely skiable slope/cliffside) in a race against the blond haired, blue eyed handsome ski pro to win the girl.

Edited by SweetieDarling
  • Like 7
  • Applause 1
7 minutes ago, SweetieDarling said:

I think the only people who "shred pow" are the bad actors in the bad ski movies from the 80s -you know, they involve some underdog nerd having to ski the K12 in a race against the blond haired, blue eyed handsome ski pro to win the girl.

Better Off Dead Cash GIF by moodman

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, SweetieDarling said:

I think the only people who "shred pow" are the bad actors in the bad ski movies from the 80s -you know, they involve some underdog nerd having to ski the K12 (or other similarly named barely skiable slope/cliffside) in a race against the blond haired, blue eyed handsome ski pro to win the girl.

I disagree that that particular movie was bad.  I love it, and quote from it all the time.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I disagree that that particular movie was bad.  I love it, and quote from it all the time.

I agree. It's like the gold standard. There are some cheesier takes on the theme with K(some number not 12) that fit better, but that's where my mind went -probably because I've seen it so many times

2740nz.jpg

Edited by SweetieDarling
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, dleighg said:

My impression is that it's the two brothers (that we saw in the beach chair saga earlier this year) in the two cars. They are talking to each other over the bluetooth connected phones.

I did not realize they were the same people from that beach chair commercial, I do not like that spot, the father seemed so mean to his albeit adult kids the way he got to the beach chair first. 

I guess we can thank Taster's Choice for introducing us to the saga type of commercial like they did with that couple, the will they or won't they story...BMW trying to make us care about the family that owns BMW's.

16 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

What movie, I must be behind watching bad 80's ski movies.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I did not realize they were the same people from that beach chair commercial, I do not like that spot, the father seemed so mean to his albeit adult kids the way he got to the beach chair first. 

The only thing I got from that commercial, was that the dad ,with his gas vehicle, got to the beach sooner than his kids with their electric vehicles

• LOL 3
1 minute ago, SweetieDarling said:

The only thing I got from that commercial, was that the dad ,with his gas vehicle, got to the beach sooner than his kids with their electric vehicles

I do not recall that spot at all.  I was about to look it up and suddenly realized that I hate these people so much, why in the world would I want to see more of them.  

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
9 hours ago, ebk57 said:

The part I hate the most is when they realize that the dad has been left behind and they all start screaming, "DAAAAAAAADD!" in both cars.  I can tell that the people making the commercial thought it was supposed to be hilarious, but no, it is not.

• Like 7
On 12/24/2023 at 8:59 PM, Baltimore Betty said:

Never heard of it but I love John Cusack, and Joan too!

Being from Chicago I remember when the White Sox's new park was nicknamed "The Joan."  So much better than the current Guaranteed Rate Field.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
On 12/24/2023 at 6:29 PM, Browncoat said:

I wasn't citing it as a bad movie; I love it, too.  That's why it's the first thing that sprang to mind with the entire rest of the description.

• Like 4
On 12/24/2023 at 10:11 AM, ebk57 said:

On 12/24/2023 at 6:48 PM, Baltimore Betty said:

I guess we can thank Taster's Choice for introducing us to the saga type of commercial like they did with that couple, the will they or won't they story...BMW trying to make us care about the family that owns BMW's.

In the beach commercial the family is simply unremarkable and boring.  I don't care who gets to the beach first and gets the chairs.  

In the ski ad, I actively hate this family.  The whining. The screaming. Two vehicles driving back to get "dad!" Leave the whiny jackass at home or, better yet, hit him with the car and knock him out so we don't have to hear him whine. 

I can imagine the ad execs damn near breaking their arms patting themselves on the back for what they think is the most hilarious ad campaign ever.  It is so bad.   

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
On 12/24/2023 at 9:48 PM, Baltimore Betty said:

I hated that commercial! 

• Applause 1

I hate hearing nouns used as verbs, so imagine my displeasure at having that damn Zillow commercial that keeps using "Zillowing" followed immediately by one for something that used "business" as a verb, along the lines of saying their product helps you "business better".

• Like 11
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 2
  • Fire 1
On 12/26/2023 at 9:33 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

Being from Chicago I remember when the White Sox's new park was nicknamed "The Joan."  So much better than the current Guaranteed Rate Field.

This ^^^^renaming a field is something I dread. Each time I see the sign, Nationals Park, behind the batters, I deeply appreciate it. I'm dreading the day when it's renamed Dunkin' Donuts Park.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I'm dreading the day when it's renamed Dunkin' Donuts Park.

You can ease part of your dread. They're just "Dunkin' " now; dropped their Donuts.  OK by me, as their donuts have become inedible.

• Like 4
  • Wink 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

You can ease part of your dread. They're just "Dunkin' " now; dropped their Donuts.  OK by me, as their donuts have become inedible.

Not the donuts! They were the best.

• Like 3
On 12/28/2023 at 4:24 PM, Bastet said:

I hate hearing nouns used as verbs, so imagine my displeasure at having that damn Zillow commercial that keeps using "Zillowing" followed immediately by one for something that used "business" as a verb, along the lines of saying their product helps you "business better".

Displeasure?  Displeasure??  Either that's the understatement of the year (which I realise has only just started, but still), or you're remarkably tolerant, or the sarcasm isn't translating!

I haven't seen those ads but my mind is exploding (hence my reaction to your post) just reading this.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Displeasure?  Displeasure??  Either that's the understatement of the year (which I realise has only just started, but still),

But she said it on 12/28, pretty much the scope of the entire 2023. LOL

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
On 12/28/2023 at 7:24 PM, Bastet said:

Did this nonsense all start with the phrase, "take a meeting"?  Or, does it go back a bit more?

• Like 2

Ok please tell me that I am not the only one, the Rocket Mortgage commercial that is supposed to be a podcast...that girl's speech pattern is so weird, it is like a constant stream of words thru her teeth, I cannot describe any other way, it is so odd.

• Like 2
On 12/24/2023 at 1:11 PM, ebk57 said:

I think she said "Floor it" before he could get in the car because she was embarrassed by his ski suit.  I'm guessing that's why she bought him a new one.

On 12/27/2023 at 9:16 AM, Gharlane said:

I hated that commercial! 

I don't even remember it.  Which say a lot about its ability to convince me to buy a BMW.

• Like 5
(edited)

Anyone else a little tired of insurance spokespeople achieving a weird kind of celebrity status?  I'm think particularly of Flo and Jake and Dr. Rick.  At least the Mayhem commercials are occasionally witty and maybe not shown quite as often as the others.  

Edited by Phebemarie
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Phebemarie said:

Anyone else a little tired of insurance spokespeople achieving a weird kind of celebrity status?  I'm think particularly of Flo and Jake and Dr. Rick.  At least the Mayhem commercials are occasionally witty and maybe not shown quite as often as the others.  

Not me! I love Flo and Jake and Dr. Rick. Their commercials make me laugh. That's always a plus in my book.

• Like 8
8 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

7 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Not me! I love Flo and Jake and Dr. Rick. Their commercials make me laugh. That's always a plus in my book.

I wouldn't go so far as love, but agree with the nope, not tired -- 21st Century (which is my insurer) has boring commercials when they bother to have them, the General has awful commercials, Liberty often irritates me, and Nationwide has relied too much on Peyton Manning, but the rest all make me laugh a good bit, including the prominent spokespeople like Flo, Jake from State Farm, and Dr. Rick (along with Mayhem and Dennis Haysbert's character from Allstate), and generally don't annoy me.

• Like 1

Planet Fatness has a new commercial featuring that anthromophized venereal disease as its spokeswoman.  No thanks, I'd never go where she has been before, even if they used flamethrowers. 

On 1/1/2024 at 9:11 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Isn't "Dunkin" an entry in the Urban Dictionary?  

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 3

These are not new, but I loathe the 'Smart Asset' ads with the stupid men. The guy who 'probably shouldn't have tried to remove his own appendix' and the other one who didn't notice that the swimming pool cement was quick-setting.

In keeping with the theme, I also hate that big loud dude in an orange sweater who asks if we're 'smart enough' to switch to Consumer Cellular. GTFOH.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, Gharlane said:

Planet Fatness has a new commercial featuring that anthromophized venereal disease as its spokeswoman.  No thanks, I'd never go where she has been before, even if they used flamethrowers. 

Any other clues as to who the hell you're talking about might be helpful, your comment covers a lot of people. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 6
2 hours ago, Shrek said:

Any other clues as to who the hell you're talking about might be helpful, your comment covers a lot of people. 

I'm kind of ashamed I even know this, but she's a rapper called Megan Thee Stallion.  Yeah, that's what she calls herself. 🙄  I guess she's doing the commercial because she lost weight.

• Useful 1