Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 3/23/2022 at 12:20 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

But...but... She's a NEUROSCIENTIST!!!  (Can you claim a profession if you've never had a job but only a degree?)

No, she's an "actual neuroscientist", which is even better.

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, cinsays said:

and sometimes they actually work

I agree.

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Sometimes they do, but usually you can get something else which works just as well for a lot less money.  The dietary supplement industry is mostly just a rip-off.

It is an individual choice whether to try those things or not and whether they are helpful or not. People can make up their own minds.

• Love 2
On 3/23/2022 at 2:50 PM, susannah said:

I think she is a neuroscientist no matter what she does. She has done the work and achieved the degree. I don't know how anyone would know that that product is useless just by seeing it on tv. Seems like they would have to try it and talk to others who have tried it, and to their drs, researching it more.

I am pretty sure I heard doctors declare it to be snake oil.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, susannah said:

I agree.

It is an individual choice whether to try those things or not and whether they are helpful or not. People can make up their own minds.

People can waste their money on whatever they want.  The problem is, without them being tested by the FDA, there's no way to know how safe they are.  Products have been taken off the market for causing harm.  And the commercials for supplements definitely don't highlight that they haven't been tested for safety by any legitimate agency; it's always in the tiny print.

And to pull it back to a specific commercial: shilling non-FDA approved supplements will ALWAYS cause me to lose respect for a celebrity, including Mayim Bialik and the mostly caffeine crap she's advertising.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 14
40 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

People can waste their money on whatever they want.  The problem is, without them being tested by the FDA, there's no way to know how safe they are.  Products have been taken off the market for causing harm.  And the commercials for supplements definitely don't highlight that they haven't been tested for safety by any legitimate agency; it's always in the tiny print.

And to pull it back to a specific commercial: shilling non-FDA approved supplements will ALWAYS cause me to lose respect for a celebrity, including Mayim Bialik and the mostly caffeine crap she's advertising.

People can think what they like about any ad or spokesperson, but I don't think anyone should tell anyone else whether to use any product or not. I sure would hope no one would take any medical advice from a Primetimer poster.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

The advertisers clearly didn't think about folks watching this with the sound off.  The all caps "IT'S FRESH PEOPLE" on the screen makes me think they're shilling soylent green.

giphy.gif 

I don't appreciate her spraying that stuff at my face (the camera)! 

Who does she think she is, Doctor Tongue?

https://makeagif.com/i/13vldr

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

The advertisers clearly didn't think about folks watching this with the sound off.  The all caps "IT'S FRESH PEOPLE" on the screen makes me think they're shilling soylent green.

giphy.gif 

To Serve Man

• LOL 10
  • Love 2

Am I supposed to find it cute that the little girl in the back seat is squirting a copious amount of Heinz catsup all over her food and eating a very messy hamburger that she can barely hold onto? Apparently her father does as he glances in the rearview mirror and smiles indulgently. Yeah, no. We'll see how he feels after he has to scrub the drippy mess, splotches of catsup, and most likely the rest of the hamburger that slipped out of her grasp, off of the vehicle's upholstery. The white upholstery.

Edited by Scout Finch
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6

I know these commercials have been griped about, but I haven’t seen anything about the latest JJWalker social security commercial. The one where he stresses calling to give your zip code that “could add mun-EEEEE” to your account”. And his ‘call nowwww” sounds like a raspy, wounded cat 

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
On 3/18/2022 at 4:15 PM, cinsays said:

totally agree

they could easily have come up with another lyric and action for that part

They could've kept the lyric and showed him opening his dresser, pulling out a towel, and giving it a sniff.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

This ad didn't bug when I first saw it but on repeated viewings it's really starting to irritate.

It's the Babbel ad, specifically the Spanish one where a woman goes into a Spanish restaurant.

What bugs: 1. the whole place seems to stop what they are doing to critically watch what she says/does, whether or not I know Spanish (I don't btw) that would put me off ordering anything and likely scare me enough I would forget English let alone Spanish.

2. How do they know, before she says anything, that she might not know Spanish?

3. Why does it matter if she knows Spanish or not? the little girl is obviously fluent in English so even if the woman only knows English someone is there who could translate.

4. Related to #2 how does the little girl know that the woman speaks English and that she learned Spanish in some way?

The French Babbel ad is much better in that it is only one taxi driver waiting to see what the woman says and just praises her when she comes up with the French she needed to say where she is going.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

Am I supposed to find it cute that the little girl in the back seat is squirting a copious amount of Heinz catsup all over her food and eating a very messy hamburger that she can barely hold onto? Apparently her father does as he glances in the rearview mirror and smiles indulgently. Yeah, no. We'll see how he feels after he has to scrub the drippy mess, splotches of catsup, and most likely the rest of the hamburger that slipped out of her grasp, off of the vehicle's upholstery. The white upholstery.

I couldn't agree more. I might have even mentioned this one somewhere. WHO lets their kid eat a burger as big as their head in the car, making a drippy mess as she adds even more drippy catsup, as you said, and then smile at their little angel? I loathe this ad. It is one of a number of ads that show kids making messes and their parents smiling at them as they clean up. Like the one where the mother tells the boy that Grandma's coming over, so he starts fingerpainting with chocolate pudding on the counter!

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, susannah said:

It is one of a number of ads that show kids making messes and their parents smiling at them as they clean up.

there's another one that's selling washable rugs. In that one the mother is all about photographing her little devil. At least in that one the dad doesn't like it, but doesn't have the balls to complain about it. I know they want us to have the reaction we do, as they are mostly making fun of the mother, so in that sense it's better than the absolutely awful hamburger one. 

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, dleighg said:

there's another one that's selling washable rugs. In that one the mother is all about photographing her little devil. At least in that one the dad doesn't like it, but doesn't have the balls to complain about it. I know they want us to have the reaction we do, as they are mostly making fun of the mother, so in that sense it's better than the absolutely awful hamburger one. 

I haven't seen that one, what does the kid do? I also remember one from a while back for paper towels, in which the kid grabs a 2 liter bottle of pop, shakes it up and starts spraying it all over the kitchen. What a little angel. So what does the mother do? Grabs another bottle, shakes it and sprays it at him! Yeah that will really teach him not to do that, and can you imagine cleaning up that horrible sticky mess, that could get everywhere?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, susannah said:

I haven't seen that one, what does the kid do? I also remember one from a while back for paper towels, in which the kid grabs a 2 liter bottle of pop, shakes it up and starts spraying it all over the kitchen. What a little angel. So what does the mother do? Grabs another bottle, shakes it and sprays it at him! Yeah that will really teach him not to do that, and can you imagine cleaning up that horrible sticky mess, that could get everywhere?

I doubt it but maybe it was just carbonated water? Still a dick move and the kid should spend the next several days scrubbing the kitchen.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I doubt it but maybe it was just carbonated water? Still a dick move and the kid should spend the next several days scrubbing the kitchen.

For sure, right along with the fingerpainting brat!

• Love 4

Ok, really? A wedding cake in a convertible with the bride and groom cake toppers attached?!? Dumb ass. All of them.

Lol I'm no genius either. In college we transported left over beer in a keg to the beach house we rented for the week. Strapped that baby in the back of my AMC Gremlin and headed south. Risky but at least it wasn't a freaking cake! 😉

https://outofthewilderness.me/2022/02/18/allstates-wedding-cake-commercial-the-music-and-the-actress/

Edited by seasons
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

What annoys me more than the cake in the convertible is the fact that she keeps looking back at it, taking her eyes off the road and then she's driving up the MIDDLE of the road ON A HILL where she can't see oncoming traffic.  Unless it's a one-way street, Allstate has no business touting this chick as a safe driver.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, susannah said:

In the one I'm thinking of, the mom squirts her ginger demonspawn with the spray hose from the sink rather than another soda bottle, so at least it will help with mopping the floor up. If I'd ever pulled something like that as a kid my next awareness probably would have been waking up in the ER.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

In the one I'm thinking of, the mom squirts her ginger demonspawn with the spray hose from the sink rather than another soda bottle, so at least it will help with mopping the floor up. If I'd ever pulled something like that as a kid my next awareness probably would have been waking up in the ER.

Yes you're right, it was the spray hose. I agree, had I done such a thing as a kid, it would not have ended well for me. I am fairly certain my mother would not have smiled and laughed!

• Love 7

Here's one for an asthma medication... the magic motorcycle! A woman is downtown, and is walking to her motorcycle. She puts on her helmet, gets on and zooms away. If I am not mistaken, bikes have be started with keys, so since hers was a magic one that starts without a key, I am surprised it was still there!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, theatremouse said:

There are keyless ignitions for motorcyles. Similar to how many cars have fobs only.

Well, she didn't have anything in her hands, so...?

2 hours ago, littlebennysmom said:

Progressive is bound and determined to stay at the forefront of annoying commercials -- why?  The one with Flo's sister and her empty headed manner of speech ("The baby looks like dad."  "Dahd is OLD!") particularly irks me.

I agree. The sister is totally rude.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, susannah said:

Here's one for an asthma medication... the magic motorcycle! A woman is downtown, and is walking to her motorcycle. She puts on her helmet, gets on and zooms away. If I am not mistaken, bikes have be started with keys, so since hers was a magic one that starts without a key, I am surprised it was still there!

The thing that bothers me more about her is that her friends planned a surprise party for her, she walks through the scene saying "You guuuuys," then walks away from them.  Rude! 😄

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Katy M said:
7 hours ago, susannah said:

Well, she didn't have anything in her hands, so...?

In her pocket?

That would work. I keep my car key fob in my purse. All I need to do is touch the door handle and it unlocks.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

That would work. I keep my car key fob in my purse. All I need to do is touch the door handle and it unlocks.

Same.  It's my favorite feature of my car.  It also locks as I walk away -- I don't have to touch the fob at all.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
59 minutes ago, cynicat said:

Are you talking about this Dupixent commerical?  If so, that's a Vespa or some other scooter and I believe they can be started without a key.

Yep that's the one. If that is so, that leads to my other comment, which is that I am surprised it is still there!

Not sure what car it's for, but there's one where a little girl is in the back saying no one ever listens to her and she says, in a whiny voice, "Car, I'm cold."  I don't know why, but she irritates me to no end.  Probably the whine.  And the no one ever listens to me comment.

• Love 3
On 3/26/2022 at 4:12 PM, peacheslatour said:

I remember it being orange soda, which makes it stickier for some reason.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Gharlane said:

I remember it being orange soda, which makes it stickier for some reason.

I thought so too, and what a horrible sticky mess that would make. That kid needed a come to Jesus meeting, and to scrub the kitchen for days.

• Love 3

Maybe it's just me, but if I see a commercial that irritates, annoys, etc., I tend to direct my annoyance at the people responsible for making and airing the commercial, not at the hypothetical, fictional people they're portraying.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Maybe it's just me, but if I see a commercial that irritates, annoys, etc., I tend to direct my annoyance at the people responsible for making and airing the commercial, not at the hypothetical, fictional people they're portraying.

I would think everyone feels that way. Someone would have to say, "yeah, let's have a kid spray pop all over the kitchen, or dripping a huge burger in the car, or being disrespectful to their parents. Great ideas!" or, "I think having a woman dressed as diarrhea, or to show people's heads in the microwave would go over well!" I oppose the concept that showing kids doing such unacceptable things is okay, and I wonder about people so desperate to be in show biz that they will do humiliating things in ads, but I don't think anyone is talking about the actual people in the ads.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, susannah said:

I would think everyone feels that way. Someone would have to say, "yeah, let's have a kid spray pop all over the kitchen, or dripping a huge burger in the car, or being disrespectful to their parents. Great ideas!" or, "I think having a woman dressed as diarrhea, or to show people's heads in the microwave would go over well!" I oppose the concept that showing kids doing such unacceptable things is okay, and I wonder about people so desperate to be in show biz that they will do humiliating things in ads, but I don't think anyone is talking about the actual people in the ads.

I don't think they are either.

• Love 3

There's this commercial for Chevrolet with a family (and daughter's boyfriend) on an outing and the father points out the car/truck's cameras as a passive-aggressive way of telling them not to fool around that annoys me. Wow, what a dick!

• Love 9
13 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Exactly kids don't have the ability to say no to adults. They don't write the script. I get more annoyed with older adults because they do have the ability to say this won't work.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Gharlane said:

There's this commercial for Chevrolet with a family (and daughter's boyfriend)

what bugs me is that it shows the view of the rear facing camera and it shows.... the thing they are towing! It doesn't show the back seat for goodness sake! So is he just being snarky for the sake of being snarky?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 3/21/2022 at 9:47 PM, CrystalBlue said:

I lasted 0.32 seconds.  I hate that piece of music anyway and it has been overused in commercials and popular culture.  Whatever they're selling is lost on me!

I didn't care for it in "2001: A Space Odyssey" either.  I think they're trying to go for the nostalgia factor in that every school orchestra played that tune back in the day and usually not so well.  Maybe they still do.  Whatever, they lose me by making it so annoying.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

what bugs me is that it shows the view of the rear facing camera and it shows.... the thing they are towing! It doesn't show the back seat for goodness sake! So is he just being snarky for the sake of being snarky?

I know, this bugs me and my husband no end.  If the car had a rear facing camera that showed what was going on in the back seat, fine, but it obviously doesn't, so is this guy just lying because he doesn't like what's going on in the back seat and wants to "scare" them?  And so what are they selling if the car doesn't have that?  Because I'm sure there are people out there that will think it does have a back seat camera based on this ad even though it doesn't show it.  It's just stupid all the way around.

• Love 5