Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, susannah said:

Animals cannot consent to "work," and are at the mercy of whoever is using them. Yes there may be people from humane societies on set but that doesn't change the fact that the animals are forced to do what people want them to do, for money. Animals are living creatures and should be respected as such. It's the same situation with child actors, who also cannot consent to working, and are forced to do what the studios want them to do. There might be child protection people on set but that doesn't keep from being abused and used.

Taking to Small Talk.

As I get older, I've noticed less tolerance to angry, loud voices in programs and commercials. My pet peeve right now is Jimmie Walker screeching "Nowww!" about Medicare plans.

What sort of buffoon ad executive thinks they will gain clientele by abusing watchers' aural nerves? They just alienate me. Sure, I notice the commercial, but I'm adversely impressed. Morons.

• Love 18

The Graves Disease commercial, with the close up shots of red watery eyes. It is so disturbing to see. It's hooooorible. 

Any commercial for the show Dr. Pimple Popper. Food Network runs the commercials during cooking shows. The commercials are over the top gross, with shots of all types of awful skin bumps/tumors/growths. During.cooking.shows.

• Love 15

I haven’t seen this VRBO ad mentioned. I generally dislike VRBO ads anyway, but why are they using a singer who sounds like Kermit the Frog? I love Kermit, but dislike that they are using his voice in this ad! 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, renatae said:

As I get older, I've noticed less tolerance to angry, loud voices in programs and commercials. My pet peeve right now is Jimmie Walker screeching "Nowww!" about Medicare plans.

What sort of buffoon ad executive thinks they will gain clientele by abusing watchers' aural nerves? They just alienate me. Sure, I notice the commercial, but I'm adversely impressed. Morons.

I totally agree. Our attention has become monetized. I'm not wasting it on insulting garbage like that.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Deskisamess said:

Any commercial for the show Dr. Pimple Popper. Food Network runs the commercials during cooking shows. The commercials are over the top gross, with shots of all types of awful skin bumps/tumors/growths. During.cooking.shows.

My current most-hated D+ commercial is for Naked and Afraid, which I think is a candid dating show in which the contestants are stranded somewhere in the wilderness naked, in which one of the contestants identifies as trans female and makes a snide comment about the man being in for a (unpleasant?) surprise. 😬

49 minutes ago, Popples said:

It sounds like the original recording from Muppets Take Manhattan, so that's why it sounds like Kermit. This commercial made me irrationally angry when I first saw it.

I assumed it came from The Muppet Show. It annoys the hell out of me, too. It doesn't help that the commercial doesn't seem well-focused.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Gharlane said:

My current most-hated D+ commercial is for Naked and Afraid, which I think is a candid dating show in which the contestants are stranded somewhere in the wilderness naked, in which one of the contestants identifies as trans female and makes a snide comment about the man being in for a (unpleasant?) surprise. 😬

That's not supposed to be a dating show, just a wilderness survival show with a gimmick. But going in with that sort of attitude about the person one will be depending on to help find water, shelter, and food for weeks seems really unwise.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I haven’t seen this VRBO ad mentioned. I generally dislike VRBO ads anyway, but why are they using a singer who sounds like Kermit the Frog? I love Kermit, but dislike that they are using his voice in this ad! 

I mute the TV anytime this commercial comes on (like it did just now).  I HATE it.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I hate that it sounds like VERY much like 'Has Anybody Seen My Gal' (1925). Since the latter song has now gotten into public domain, why not just go ahead and use the classic song itself?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I lasted 0.32 seconds.  I hate that piece of music anyway and it has been overused in commercials and popular culture.  Whatever they're selling is lost on me!

I think the composer, Richard Strauss,  didn't think too much of it, either. He uses it as an overture to his tone poem "Also Sprach Zarathustra," and NEVER uses it again. Doesn't show up at all in the rest of the piece. Usually, an overture gives you hints of what's to come, but not this one.

BUT - nobody plays an instrument perfectly from the get-go. These kids are in rehearsal. Give 'em a break.

*** And VRBO didn't use "Has Anybody Seen My Gal?" because they used the Kermit-sung song from one of the Muppet Movies, which is an entirely different song. What the songs DO have in common is neither one fits the commercial. LOL.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I think the composer, Richard Strauss,  didn't think too much of it, either. He uses it as an overture to his tone poem "Also Sprach Zarathustra," and NEVER uses it again.

Is this the ad with the woman in her (quiet) car? I don't get it either. Is this a concert that she doesn't want to be at? How does having a (quiet) car in the parking lot help? I'm so confused.

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Is this the ad with the woman in her (quiet) car? I don't get it either. Is this a concert that she doesn't want to be at? How does having a (quiet) car in the parking lot help? I'm so confused.

I'm assuming she's a mom waiting for her kid to be done with rehearsal.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

*** And VRBO didn't use "Has Anybody Seen My Gal?" because they used the Kermit-sung song from one of the Muppet Movies, which is an entirely different song. What the songs DO have in common is neither one fits the commercial. LOL.

Yes, I know it was Kermit (actually the late Jim Henson) singing a song from that Muppet movie but it sounded very similar to me to 'Has Anybody Seen My Gal' rather than 'an entirely different song'! I remember watching the movie and feeling frustrated that they didn't just sing the 1925 classic instead of this more awkward tune. 

Regardless, I agree that neither of these would have fit in the commercial. But then again, I'm not sold on opening  one's home to strangers for monies/ paying monies to stay in a stranger's home. I wonder if 'Home Sweet Home' (1823) might have been closer to what they may be trying to convey?I mean it has the lines: 

Mid-pleasures and palaces, though we may roam/

Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home!

• Love 1
On 3/21/2022 at 9:19 AM, renatae said:

Agreed. I don't know anyone who likes those ads. But my least favorite will always be Tom Selleck and his reverse mortgages. I would text with friends and coworkers when I first started working from home and I can't tell you how many "I hate Tom Selleck!" tweets I sent and received.

• Love 13
On 3/21/2022 at 12:00 PM, zoey1996 said:

I actually think it's a really nice commercial and I think the song fits perfectly.  Even with Kermit.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I lasted 0.32 seconds.  I hate that piece of music anyway and it has been overused in commercials and popular culture.  Whatever they're selling is lost on me!

It's funny which songs outrage people. For me it's the use of Blind Melon's No Rain in a stupid Toyota? commercial.

• Love 2

Agreed. I don't know anyone who likes those ads. But my least favorite will always be Tom Selleck and his reverse mortgages.

I read this as revenge mortgages. Revenge of the Mortgages II: The Rise of the Interest Rates

• LOL 14
6 hours ago, marceline said:

Agreed. I don't know anyone who likes those ads. But my least favorite will always be Tom Selleck and his reverse mortgages. I would text with friends and coworkers when I first started working from home and I can't tell you how many "I hate Tom Selleck!" tweets I sent and received.

Well, it's not his first rodeo, y'know. ;-)

• LOL 21

I just googled Mayim Bialik and the Penn State website and the PBS website both refer to her as a neuroscientist, so at the very least, it's not just her calling herself that to seem important.

I also saw that she taught neuroscience at the college level for 5 years. I don't know if that counts as having a job in the field.

Edited by janie jones
  • Useful 8
  • Love 3

The ones I really hate are for Balance of Nature. Like some powdered "fruits and vegetables" in a gelatin pill are "how our bodies are meant to eat." The one I really hate in this series is the one for a woman who's cackling that she can run faster than her friend now. And the friend says that BoN is too expensive. And this lady starts talking about what she spends money on. $50 to do your nails. $10 for breakfast. $10 for lunch (or it might be a little less depending on how hungry you are."

ACK! 

• Love 8
32 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I just googled Mayim Bialik and the Penn State website and the PBS website both refer to her as a neuroscientist, so at the very least, it's not just her calling herself that to seem important.

I also saw that she taught neuroscience at the college level for 5 years. I don't know if that counts as having a job in the field.

It does to me. I also think that having a degree in neuroscience makes one a neuroscientist, whether they have a job in the field yet or not. I didn't know that she was a professor as well as a doctor. One smart woman, there!

On 3/22/2022 at 7:19 AM, marceline said:

Why?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, tres bien said:

I'm officially sick and tired of Mayim Bialek and her annoying brain crap. 

I'm conflicted about that commercial. On the one hand, Mayim Bialek has a degree in neuroscience yet she peddles this snake oil, so just how much of one is she really? 🤔

• Love 20
7 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

I'm conflicted about that commercial. On the one hand, Mayim Bialek has a degree in neuroscience yet she peddles this snake oil, so just how much of one is she really? 🤔

I think she is a neuroscientist no matter what she does. She has done the work and achieved the degree. I don't know how anyone would know that that product is useless just by seeing it on tv. Seems like they would have to try it and talk to others who have tried it, and to their drs, researching it more.

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

There's actually some interesting language in this commercial, if I recall. She says something like "I support the science" not "I believe in this product." Like I feel that's how she thinks she can maintain her professional integrity.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, seasons said:

"Hard of hearing"?

Who wrote this copy, my grandmother?

Isn't the term  " hearing impaired"?

They're separate terms. Someone with virtually no hearing or none at all is deaf. Someone who has some hearing is hard of hearing. Both are types of hearing impairment, but my understanding is referring to people as "hearing impaired" is often frowned upon because it's labeling people as in some way defective. Of course, as with many groups, there's a fair bit of debate about which terms are preferred and which terms are offensive, so ymmv. Either way though "hearing impaired" isn't an alternative to "hard of hearing". The latter is a subset of the former. So I don't really take issue with the copy.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, theatremouse said:

They're separate terms. Someone with virtually no hearing or none at all is deaf. Someone who has some hearing is hard of hearing. Both are types of hearing impairment, but my understanding is referring to people as "hearing impaired" is often frowned upon because it's labeling people as in some way defective. Of course, as with many groups, there's a fair bit of debate about which terms are preferred and which terms are offensive, so ymmv. Either way though "hearing impaired" isn't an alternative to "hard of hearing". The latter is a subset of the former. So I don't really take issue with the copy.

I think "hearing impaired" is the same as "hard of hearing," since it states that people have less hearing ability. Then there is deaf, which is no hearing ability. There is nothing "defective" about either state, just a loss of an ability.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, susannah said:

I think "hearing impaired" is the same as "hard of hearing," since it states that people have less hearing ability. Then there is deaf, which is no hearing ability. There is nothing "defective" about either state, just a loss of an ability.

I just say I've got some hearing loss in my right ear.

• Love 1

I think I've had more than enough of the Duracell ad where the dad worries that if he buys the regular Duracell batteries and not the more expensive ones his daughter's toy will go dead during the road trip and she will turn into a complete monster.  I have been watching a few of the spring training baseball games on MLB Network each day, and it is now on during every commercial break (so up to 18 times a game, depending on if it's live or one that they cut down to two hours).  The most annoying part for me isn't even the way the girl behaves in the dad's imagination--it's when it's followed by the dad screaming (also imagined, but we have to see it).  If he can't handle an outburst (granted one that was over the top, but he was just imagining it) without completely losing it, he's probably not setting the best example.  I'm sure the screaming part was supposed to be funny, but I would really like this ad to go away.  And every time I mute the  commercial and try to look away until it's over, I always look again too soon and see his stupid screaming face!

Edited by KWalkerInc
Clarification about screaming being imagined.
  • Love 6

Some time ago I complained about the Hershey's commercial with the brothers (one going off to college) playing all.the.time.  It's been replaced by the older one with the little twin sisters and sharing.  Adorable, but if they play this one again as much as the brothers' one I will get sick of it really fast.

Also playing wayyyy too long?  Duck duck go.  It was cute for the first couple million times I saw it, now it's time to retire that one.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, susannah said:

It does to me. I also think that having a degree in neuroscience makes one a neuroscientist, whether they have a job in the field yet or not. I didn't know that she was a professor as well as a doctor. One smart woman, there!

agreed

and the company she's advertising for is the one having her boast about her degree, not something that she is vainly announcing

• Love 2
21 hours ago, susannah said:

And yet she's on tv shilling for a supplement that's mainly caffeine.

I don't care who is calling her a neuroscientist or whether she is herself, and I'm fine with people saying she is because she has the degree.  It's certainly a more advanced degree than the one I have.  It's advertising that unregulated, untested, non-FDA approved crap which caused me to loss respect for her.

21 hours ago, susannah said:

I don't know how anyone would know that that product is useless just by seeing it on tv. Seems like they would have to try it and talk to others who have tried it, and to their drs, researching it more.

The fact that it's a supplement, which means it has not been evaluated by the FDA for safety or efficacy, always makes me give these things a side-eye.  They're usually useless but harmless junk, but sometimes they're actually dangerous.

6 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

I think I've had more than enough of the Duracell ad where the dad worries that if he buys the regular Duracell batteries and not the more expensive ones his daughter's toy will go dead during the road trip and she will turn into a complete monster.  I have been watching a few of the spring training baseball games on MLB Network each day, and it is now on during every commercial break (so up to 18 times a game, depending on if it's live or one that they cut down to two hours).  The most annoying part for me isn't even the way the girl behaves in the dad's imagination--it's when it's followed by the dad screaming (also imagined, but we have to see it).  If he can't handle an outburst (granted one that was over the top, but he was just imagining it) without completely losing it, he's probably not setting the best example.  I'm sure the screaming part was supposed to be funny, but I would really like this ad to go away.  And every time I mute the  commercial and try to look away until it's over, I always look again too soon and see his stupid screaming face!

Maybe instead of buying the extra special Duracell batteries, he should raise his child not to be a brat.  I hate that commercial because of the screaming from both.

4 hours ago, OpalNightstream said:

The Amazon prime wedding commercial with the redhead woman annoys me. I’ve never seen such a messy bride or bridesmaid before. Their hair and makeup is a mess. 

I actually think the bride's hair is lovely and her makeup is not noticeable one way or the other.

• Love 15

I'm officially sick and tired of Mayim Bialek and her annoying brain crap. 

Sort of the reverse of Peter Bergman appearing on those ads for cough medicine in the early 1980s. "I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV."

Edited by mmecorday
Fixed the product he was pushing
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 4
42 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

The fact that it's a supplement, which means it has not been evaluated by the FDA for safety or efficacy, always makes me give these things a side-eye.  They're usually useless but harmless junk, but sometimes they're actually dangerous.

and sometimes they actually work

• Useful 1
1 minute ago, cinsays said:

and sometimes they actually work

Sometimes they do, but usually you can get something else which works just as well for a lot less money.  The dietary supplement industry is mostly just a rip-off.

• Love 4