Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

There is an ad for the Jitterbug smart phone that drives me crazy. A woman is narrating and talks about how glad she is to have her mom around to help take care of her daughter. Then she says, “So I got her a smart phone!” 

Not so her mom will be safe, or that she’ll always have help if she has an accident,  or because she loves her mom and just wants to keep in touch. Nope. It’s just because she likes having the free babysitting on call. What a bitch.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 7

That damn Elmer's commercial that plays at least once during just about every commercial break. The one with the slime, one little girl yelling "WAAH/wow" with another yelling "so awesome" (but it sounds like she's yelling "salsa"). Urgh. 

I still hate "Liberty liberty liberty...LIBERTY" more though. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Brookside said:

I don't cook, but even I know that chefs and cooks putting herbs and spices, etc. in a tied-up cheesecloth pouch has been done for centuries. Pre-made cheesecloth bags are already sold. And yes, "Soup Socks" is a terrible name. It makes me think of sweaty, dirty feet in socks and when they are removed, they hold enough sweat that can be wrung out. Barf!

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Eliot said:

There is an ad for the Jitterbug smart phone that drives me crazy. A woman is narrating and talks about how glad she is to have her mom around to help take care of her daughter. Then she says, “So I got her a smart phone!” 

Not so her mom will be safe, or that she’ll always have help if she has an accident,  or because she loves her mom and just wants to keep in touch. Nope. It’s just because she likes having the free babysitting on call. What a bitch.

Well, I assumed that it's because she wants her mom to be able to make calls. However, I hate the way she implies that, while she finds her mom capable enough take on childcare, the mom is also too dumb to use a modern phone.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3

I hope I’m not repeating someone else’s post but the Sonic commercial with Jane what’s-her-name and the other woman when Jane positively screeches at top volume. I find the two guys funny but these women are beyond annoying  and will never entice me to go to Sonic.

• Love 5

Since I’m apparently in a crappy mood tonight, let me add the Charlie Tuna Spicy Chicken commercial with Cameron Bure. All of those commercials have been horrible and fake but this one seems to take the cake. I hope they’re paying her a bunch of money to compensate for the embarrassment of filming this sad thing. 

• Love 10

OK, I know that brand names can be reused if there's no chance of confusion - there's some agribusiness-related product line that shares its names with 80s Mac models - but that Google search found "Soup Socks" that were actual socks as well as the cooking product. You'd think marketing at whichever one came second would've done a Google search and advised against it.

• Love 4
On 8/17/2018 at 8:37 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

When I worked for dentists, we had a teen patient who never brushed the back side of his teeth, only the front. Reason: Parents never taught him how to brush & all he saw on TV were people brushing the front of their teeth; he never saw anybody brush the back side.  How freakin' sad is that?

Did he never notice how much better the front of his teeth felt after brushing them, and then not think, "hey, I might like feeling that on the back of my teeth!"?

• Love 4
8 hours ago, janie jones said:

Did he never notice how much better the front of his teeth felt after brushing them, and then not think, "hey, I might like feeling that on the back of my teeth!"?

Apparently not.

Re Soup Socks: I used to work for Hanes, in the L'eggs division. They decided to expand by selling socks. They called their socks Feet First. When they presented the product & its advertising to us, as we would be doing the billing, they were so proud of the name. I piped up and told them the most prevalent reference I know to "Feet First" is how dead bodies leave a room.  Those execs just stood there in stunned silence. It never dawned on them. They thought of jumping in to things feet first, as being impulsive & assertive.  It was too late to do anything about the name, but the line failed miserably.

• Love 7

Here's an ad that I think runs locally in my city (I believe the company is local)...just look at this thing!  Could they have picked a less appealing couple of people - especially the woman!  annoying as hell!  And at the end when the guy leans over and takes a big chomp off the burger she's just bit into...ugh so gross!

edit - actually the company originates in my city but looks to have gone national so maybe you've all seen the ad.
Edited by Zevious Zoquis
On 8/13/2018 at 2:57 PM, chenoa333 said:

Please Sophie Vigara....shut up and go away. Why would she think people are lining up to pay for over priced eyeglasses/sunglasses with her initials on them? She's never going to be Coco Chanel. And fyi bitch...Salma Hayek is a thousand times hotter than you. And she can act. Sophie V is just being herself..dumb and cutesy. And I hate "Modern Family" because of this brainless twit twat.

I admit that I find her Head & Shoulders ads with her son really creepy.  She has no boundaries with him.  To me, it looks like she's treating him like a boyfriend, sitting in his lap and all.  Those ads are an instant mute.

• Love 24

What's up with the Priceline commercial where some guy is choking to death in the background and Kaley Cuoco and her friend just SIT there staring at him, then go back to their conversation??

• Love 4

And at the end when the guy leans over and takes a big chomp off the burger she's just bit into...ugh so gross!

Are they a couple (didn't watch, as our internet is being a real asshole this weekend)? Because I don't think I'd find it gross to bite into something my significant other had already bitten.

• Love 5
On 8/14/2018 at 4:19 PM, kariyaki said:

Yeah, the adult diapers aren't for emptying the bladder, it's for the little oopsies that come out when dancing, prancing, sneezing, maybe jumping on a trampoline with the grandchildren (this happens to my mother).

The funny thing is how the commercials market them to say, "Look how cute the underwear looks now!" with the patterns and such. Like I'd care.

Seriously. Just do the job. Andalsobut...flowers and a bow screenprinted on disposable underwear make them "pretty"? I'm FORTY-five not five.

Screenshot_20180819-171544_Chrome.jpg

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, talktoomuch said:

Seriously. Just do the job. Andalsobut...flowers and a bow screenprinted on disposable underwear make them "pretty"? I'm FORTY-five not five.

They might as well make them look like Wonder Woman underwear. THAT might actually sell.

• Love 19
49 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Are they a couple (didn't watch, as our internet is being a real asshole this weekend)? Because I don't think I'd find it gross to bite into something my significant other had already bitten.

They seemed to be a couple and he took a bite after she offered him one. Shrug.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, talktoomuch said:

I'm irrationally bothered by the model's body, which appears to be younger than 30, and therefore not exactly in the target demographic. I realize "old equals gross" in advertising but surely there are more age-appropriate models available. 

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 6
11 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

The lead singer's gonna hurt himself singing like that.

I think it's really sad when somebody has a hit record singing in a silly manner like that. Imagine if they had gone on to have multiple hits and a long-lived career. EVERY show they do, they will be expected to sing that dumb, voice-killing song. Cause if they don't, some fan who drove a hundred miles to the show just for that song will leave a nasty note on the tour bus. (Happened to Zevon when, for just one show, he didn't sing "Werewolves Of London."  He felt really bad after reading the note and never dropped WOL from the setlist ever after.)

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Imagine if they had gone on to have multiple hits and a long-lived career

Many pop singers have untrained voices and damage their vocal chords just singing normally. Singing like that is outright dangerous.

• Love 4
On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:58 AM, skipnjump said:

I admit that I find her Head & Shoulders ads with her son really creepy.

This is a terrible thing for me to say, but whenever I hear "Head and Shoulders" I think of that show "Mad Men."  One of the characters' father died in a plane crash, and people at his office were talking about it. 

"I had no idea his father had dandruff."

"What?"

"Yeah, they found his Head and Shoulders on the beach."

16 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I'm surprised they don't put the days of the week on the disposable underwear too.  Because we older folks can keep track of the days, either.

• Love 14
On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:44 PM, Poohbear617 said:

Can't stand the HPV vaccination ad telling how it can lead to cancer later and kids saying if their parents had known they would have done something.  ""Did u know mom..dad. DID YOU"  it just hits me wrong by implying parents might purposely deny their kids healthcare. ..which them makes,me think of healthcare and people who can't afford doctor visits ........etc.. 

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:08 PM, Brattinella said:

These HPV ads just piss me off.

I mentioned this one before.  The fact that the kids are horrible actors don't make it any better.

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 7:53 AM, Shriekingeel said:

Official notice: I am not responsible for anything that may happen the next time I hear the term “she shed”. 

I mentioned that one too.  I hate "She Shed" - makes it sound like you're being punished by being sent there.

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:13 PM, kariyaki said:

Awhile ago, there was a commercial (I can't remember what it was) that apparently sounded like it was saying "Hey Siri" because every time it would run, my phone would be all, "What can I help you with?"

When my husband watches professional wrestling (ugh), there's a woman named "Alexa" and we have to turn the Echo Dot off.

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 1:02 PM, chenoa333 said:

the sight of that hideous beast (Rachel Dratch)makes me cringe.

I never found her funny on SNL or King Of Queens, so I don't get the attraction toward her.

• Love 7

I mentioned that one too.  I hate "She Shed" - makes it sound like you're being punished by being sent there.

Aside from the fact that the concept of a "she shed" is absurd beyond belief, it's the repetition that really makes that commercial so unbearable. You can only say "She Shed" so many times before you start to sound like you are reading a Dr. Seuss book.

• Love 16
On 8/19/2018 at 4:44 PM, cpcathy said:

What's up with the Priceline commercial where some guy is choking to death in the background and Kaley Cuoco and her friend just SIT there staring at him, then go back to their conversation??

Speaking of Priceline commercials, WTF is going on with this chick in this new commercial?  She looks weird and that dress is horrid.  

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Aside from the fact that the concept of a "she shed" is absurd beyond belief, it's the repetition that really makes that commercial so unbearable. You can only say "She Shed" so many times before you start to sound like you are reading a Dr. Seuss book.

"She said she shed by the sea shore." 

• Love 11
23 hours ago, Simon47 said:

Has anybody seen the commercial with this 1964 song in it?

I really think this commercial is going to be a plant.

I thought that was a woman singing when I was younger. In the 90s, it was used for a SPAM commercial. 

• Love 3
On 8/19/2018 at 3:21 PM, Simon47 said:

Has anybody seen the commercial with this 1964 song in it?

I really think this commercial is going to be a plant.

OH MY GOD that guy looks NOTHING like I imagined.  I always pictured some rat-looking guy.

• Love 6

The Enterprise guy needs to suck it up and take Kristen's chair. It's technically a vehicle, even though the farthest it may have gone at one time is the finish line of a chair race. There used to be ads by car companies saying that anything with wheels was good for $500. They just built that much into the price and dealt with whatever some wise guys might bring in, probably making some extra sales.

On 2018-08-19 at 4:54 PM, peacheslatour said:

They seemed to be a couple and he took a bite after she offered him one. Shrug.

oh yeah they're supposed to be a couple.  still grosses me out.  especially while she's licking goop off her fingers.  sorry...i don't share burgers.  lol...

17 hours ago, janie jones said:

OH MY GOD that guy looks NOTHING like I imagined.  I always pictured some rat-looking guy.

Right? I've heard that song my whole life and that is the last person I would've pointed to as the singer!

• Love 4

My latest annoyances are commercials that went away (at least around here) but have returned:

1) Gamefly, where they talk about Rowdy and Jessie in a pseudo-western.  Bleh.

2) Coke, where they talk about people to share a Coke with, including "a DJ who's 19" and "he's more in to Quinn".  Blech x2.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, Popples said:

I thought that was a woman singing when I was younger. In the 90s, it was used for a SPAM commercial. 

I remember when this was used for a Schmitt's Blue Ribbon Bread commercial which was filmed not that far from where I live.

Speaking of Priceline commercials, WTF is going on with this chick in this new commercial?  She looks weird and that dress is horrid.  

That's Kaley Cuoco. I take it you don't watch The Big Bang Theory. She's been doing Priceline commercials for years. 

• Love 3
On 8/15/2018 at 9:44 PM, Poohbear617 said:

Can't stand the HPV vaccination ad telling how it can lead to cancer later and kids saying if their parents had known they would have done something.  ""Did u know mom..dad. DID YOU"  it just hits me wrong by implying parents might purposely deny their kids healthcare. ..which them makes,me think of healthcare and people who can't afford doctor visits ........etc.. 

I hate the ad b/c it's so blatantly manipulative.

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

That's Kaley Cuoco. I take it you don't watch The Big Bang Theory. She's been doing Priceline commercials for years. 

Also on the final seasof charmed as Billie, AKA "Maggot Neck" AKA "The Moron".

• Love 4