Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

What is the point of two different kids then?

Liberty Mutual Mom had no worries about her kid getting home safely late at night after getting a flat tire. Second different kid is out with his doofus friend, calling his Dad about his flat tire, and Dad says our insurance doesn't cover it. That's the point - family with Liberty Mutual has a son that returns home safely, family without Liberty Mutual has a son who is stuck.

But don't get me started on how ridiculous the ad is - I have AAA specifically for these kinds of situations. In the last 2 years I've used it for a dead battery and a flat. And the kid whose family doesn't have Liberty Mutual - are they just going to leave him by the side of the road in the middle of the night? Not go and help him? Stupid, stupid commercial.

• Love 13
49 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Liberty Mutual Mom had no worries about her kid getting home safely late at night after getting a flat tire. Second different kid is out with his doofus friend, calling his Dad about his flat tire, and Dad says our insurance doesn't cover it. That's the point - family with Liberty Mutual has a son that returns home safely, family without Liberty Mutual has a son who is stuck.

But don't get me started on how ridiculous the ad is - I have AAA specifically for these kinds of situations. In the last 2 years I've used it for a dead battery and a flat. And the kid whose family doesn't have Liberty Mutual - are they just going to leave him by the side of the road in the middle of the night? Not go and help him? Stupid, stupid commercial.

Or just learn how to change a tire.

• Love 11

OK, so why does the kid look almost exactly like the kid with his mom? I've spent way too much time worrying about this dufus kid, they are ALL dufuses, even the over-protective mom.

• Love 3
Just now, Pepper the Cat said:

Agreed - kids that age should know how to change a tire. I know how to change a tire. But at 67 I'm paying someone else to change my tire.

1 minute ago, cpcathy said:

OK, so why does the kid look almost exactly like the kid with his mom? I've spent way too much time worrying about this dufus kid, they are ALL dufuses, even the over-protective mom.

They don't look the same to me.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, Pepper the Cat said:

Dad taught me how to change a tire and change the oil, but I'm at the age where I'll pay someone to do it. I could if I had to. I had a Bloomfield jack in the trunk for years because I hate those scissor jacks. Now I have hydraulic bottle jacks, along with a set of chocks.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Liberty Mutual Mom had no worries about her kid getting home safely late at night after getting a flat tire.

Are you guys serious that this is a mom and a kid?  I thought it was husband and wife! 

5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I still have no fricking idea what vocal fry is - I don't hear it in any of the examples anyone has ever posted.  I suppose I should be glad.

You should be very glad. Vocal fry is when someone speaks and the last few words/end of their sentence is not in their regular voice but more like a gutteral sound that trails off. Drives me insane.

• Love 7

I love that Faith Salie piece; I think of it every time vocal fry is discussed.

That Poshmark commercial woman's voice, though -- it needs its own description, because there's a lot going on there, every bit of it annoying.  If given a choice between being trapped in a room with her or the "Johnsonville Brats are made in the U.S.A." woman, I'd choose death.

• Love 5

I"m currently hating on a lot of commercials, but the most recent annoyance is from Lowe's, where the teenager paints his entire bedroom black. The tagline is: "The moment you realize you didn't mean any color." For starters, who bought the paint in the first place? If it's the parent, then she had to have known what color he picked. Did she just give him the money to buy paint? What kind of idiot doesn't reserve final say? Or does she want to be his "best friend," not his parent?

Lowe's TV Commercial: "The Moment: Any Color."

• Love 8

All the Lowe's ads are getting on my last nerve. If your oven cannot accommodate more than three casserole dishes, then it's time to upgrade, even if it still works. And if you can't see what's inside your refrigerator before you open the door, what the hell kind of miserable life are you living? Also, your washer that doesn't respond to voice commands? It's worthless!

• Love 15
23 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

All the Lowe's ads are getting on my last nerve. If your oven cannot accommodate more than three casserole dishes, then it's time to upgrade, even if it still works. And if you can't see what's inside your refrigerator before you open the door, what the hell kind of miserable life are you living? Also, your washer that doesn't respond to voice commands? It's worthless!

Or unable to close the refrigerator door without bothering to rearrange anything. Or Frigidaire commercial where the family buys a new fridge, stove and dishwasher for their child's pirate party. Really who does that?

• Love 6
On 6/7/2018 at 12:26 PM, cpcathy said:

WHY are the Liberty Mutual ads still running? Aren't they at least three years old by now? Isn't that a lifetime in advertising? I cannot stand the woman and her dumbass son. You don't need insurance to fix your tire, get Auto Club, you idiots! I think he sounds stoned in the scene with his friend, and ha ha on his helicopter mom, she has no clue!

The kid with the mom and the kid on the phone are two different people.  The kid on the phone is talking to his dad.

• Love 3

Haha, my dad would scold me for not knowing how to change a tire (and I can't say I blame him because he did take the time to teach me more than once). But he'd also scold me for doing it myself when I already pay for Triple A! That guy, man (oh, he has scolded me for paying a gas station attendant $20 to do it for me when I didn't feel like waiting for Triple A).

• Love 5
16 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I"m currently hating on a lot of commercials, but the most recent annoyance is from Lowe's, where the teenager paints his entire bedroom black. The tagline is: "The moment you realize you didn't mean any color." For starters, who bought the paint in the first place? If it's the parent, then she had to have known what color he picked. Did she just give him the money to buy paint? What kind of idiot doesn't reserve final say? Or does she want to be his "best friend," not his parent?

Lowe's TV Commercial: "The Moment: Any Color."

When my son turned 12 or 13 we decided he could paint his room as he wasn't a little kid any more and his decor was too babyish. He, of course wanted black. My argument was, if you want to be different, be original. Every kid his age wanted to paint their room black. He ended up with beige and a lodge look decor.

/Source: I worked in a paint and interior design shop.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

The kid with the mom and the kid on the phone are two different people.  The kid on the phone is talking to his dad.

Agreed. The kid in the background is the same kid as the kid with the mom.

(edited)

"WiFi is basic. Do I look basic?"

Yes. From your Untuckit shirt to your kids' soccer ball to the electric guitar you still have sitting out even though you haven't touched it since high school, you look basic.

And even - or rather, especially - if that's supposed to be some kind of ironic contrast, it's annoying. WiFi *is* basic, in the original sense of the word. And whatever it is you're advertising instead is totally lost in your "I'm not basic" spiel.

Edited by Jamoche
  • Love 11

Configdotsys, thank you so much, I finally know what a vocal fry is. I've heard it just didn't realize it. I'm more annoyed by young women who talk in such high voices they sound like little girls, if you're old enough to be working, you're old enough to talk like an adult. Yes, I'm old, so yep, get the kids off my lawn!

• Love 11

Which kid? I thought it was the one the ad starts with - his mom saying, "This guy got a flat tire...", followed by reenactment of said flat tire. Other kid says his insurance doesn't offer that and snaps at his dad that he knows what a lug wrench is - only he doesn't.

There's 3 separate kids in that commercial - kid #1 is with his Mom; kid #2 is talking to his Dad who tells him that their insurance doesn't cover flat tires and who apparently never taught his kid what a lug wrench looks like; and kid #2's stoner friend whose "maaaaybe"  cracks me up.

• Love 9
(edited)

Yes, three different guys.  First is the kid of the woman who has Liberty Mutual's roadside assistance and thus got his flat tire changed in the middle of the night (Paul Stevans), then the two stranded kids who don't know what a lug wrench is -- the one talking to his dad on the phone (Nik Dodani) and the friend in the background (Bryan Burton).  I don't see resemblance between them so as to cause confusion, but obviously others do.

(iSpot lists the actors, and going to each one's IMDb page to look at their pictures confirms they have it right.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 8

Progressive offers roadside assistance, too, but they're closed on Sunday. On Monday, I signed up with AARP/Allstate Motor Club. They've been available when I needed them, but I have a caution for those who love paper road maps - Allstate Motor Club offers Rand McNally road maps. I don't know if this is normal, or if it's because I have it via AARP, but all the maps they send me are large print, leaving out some small roads I would like to take, rather than the interstates.  If you need a paper map, the R-McN are good for laying out where the cities are, but for picking the detail of the route, get the one from the state's transportation department. My most recent road trip really pointed that out, when R-McN even had the route numbers WRONG on the map.

• Love 3

One of my least favorite Liberty Mutual continues to plague the airwaves. “Nobody was hurt, but there will still be pain.” Worse than what this commercial causes? I have my doubts. “I guess they don’t want you driving around on three wheels. Smart.” Come on, lady. No insurance company expects you to drive 75 percent of a vehicle. I get that LM is trying to illustrate their 100 percent new car replacement or whatever, but the actor delivers the line about three wheels like she’s just roasted other insurance companies with an epic, unassailable burn. 

My all time hated Liberty Mutual commercials are the ones with the smirky, snide, manspreading, low rent Seth Meyers impersonator. Fortunately they seem to have fallen out of the rotation. I’m sure they’ll be back, just like the Epic of Three Wheels. 

Looks like Chevy can make annoying commercials even without their focus group douche! Here’s some plain spoken, salt of the earth, hard workin’ folks to wax poetic about their tough ol’ Chevy trucks. Watch as they pound on the hood and lovingly stroke the truck’s scratches with a creepy little smile. All those dings and dents are just “another chapter in the story.” Give it a rest, Chevy.

• Love 15
(edited)

It's mathematically dumb too; she acts as if one tire costs one-fourth of an entire car!

I saw a Hot Pockets commercial that was so odd to me. A teenage boy in a grocery store with his younger brother. The big boy grabs Hot Pockets and the little one says, "Mom said to get hearty snacks." So, first, who says "hearty" to their kids? Second, if the boys are buying (or at least selecting) their own snacks, why would they not just get whatever they want? And third, what is behind this stipulation? Are the kids eating so many non-filling, non-hearty snacks that it has become cost prohibitive, hence the mom's request to up the heartiness quotient and thus keep the snack-consumption tally low? Also, why does the little kid assume a Hot Pocket is not hearty? I have a giant appetite and even I think a Hot Pocket is a pretty filling thing for a "snack"!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 11
14 hours ago, AuntieL said:

There's 3 separate kids in that commercial - kid #1 is with his Mom; kid #2 is talking to his Dad who tells him that their insurance doesn't cover flat tires and who apparently never taught his kid what a lug wrench looks like; and kid #2's stoner friend whose "maaaaybe"  cracks me up.

His "maybe" makes the commercial for me.

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yes, three different guys.  First is the kid of the woman who has Liberty Mutual's roadside assistance and thus got his flat tire changed in the middle of the night (Paul Stevans), then the two stranded kids who don't know what a lug wrench is -- the one talking to his dad on the phone (Nik Dodani) and the friend in the background (Bryan Burton).  I don't see resemblance between them so as to cause confusion, but obviously others do.

(iSpot lists the actors, and going to each one's IMDb page to look at their pictures confirms they have it right.)

I don't think any of the boys look alike, but it took me a while to get that commercial when it was first on because the way it is edited, it makes it seem like it's supposed to be a flashback.  So even though it didn't look like the same kid, it looked like it was supposed to be the same kid.  At first I thought it was the situation they were bragging about, but didn't make any sense.  So then I thought the kid with the mom was supposed to be the "maybe" kid because they were contrasting his experience getting a flat when he was alone with his his experience with his friend with the sub-par insurance getting the flat.  (So basically I had the same ideas that other people here did!)  I think it's a poorly made commercial

• Love 3

Why is the dumdass woman sitting at some corporate hotel bar babbling on to the doofus bartender to 'tell her a story' back on my screen?   Do they really think dangling the prospect of bumping into this clingy twit is going to make me want to stay at their Corporate America Motel 6?  

• Love 5

The ad for Febreeze with the kid in his room who takes off his sock, and then the whole room smells like socks. There are 2 boys in the room originally.. One on the bed playing video games, and one in the chair with the sock. Is that the same kid? Or is there another kid? Help! 

2 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

The ad for Febreeze with the kid in his room who takes off his sock, and then the whole room smells like socks. There are 2 boys in the room originally.. One on the bed playing video games, and one in the chair with the sock. Is that the same kid? Or is there another kid? Help! 

It's Jimmy's room, so the other kid is a friend or brother in there playing video games, but he's not there the rest of the time - when Jimmy is spraying his room with Febreeze, when the mom comes in, etc.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

It's mathematically dumb too; she acts as if one tire costs one-fourth of an entire car!

And like Macy's One Day Sale!, tire stores tend to run "buy three, get fourth free" sales all the time.

Totally useless for Reliant Robins, which are the cars I always think of when the Liberty twit comes on.

• Love 6

I hate the LM chick who thinks that because she uses her insurance "zomg, the rates went up - they're ripping me off. Why?" Umm, because you cost them money by not paying for the whole thing yourself! That's how insurance works. Also, that line "tap one little bumper". YOU don't decide it's a little tap, sweetheart. You pay for the damage you caused.

• Love 10
19 minutes ago, Jamoche said:

tire stores tend to run "buy three, get fourth free" sales all the time

That one actually makes sense.  It gets you to buy all four tires instead of just two.  You end up getting the last two for the price of one.

• Love 1
On 5/4/2017 at 11:55 PM, Silver Raven said:

What is with the gratuitous "-uh" that people put at the end of words when they want to sound querulous?  There's a new Dove ad where women are discovering that their beauty product is really Dove, and one of the women says, "It's Dove-uh!"

I have to mute my TV before it gets to that part.  That girl deserves white residue on her dress.

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The guy in the Lowe’s ad needs new friends, not a new backyard, because what kind of dipshit doesn’t MOVE when someone is trying to get into the cooler?

I know, every single time I see that commerical, I'm like, "Get UP, you jackass." The guy whose backyard it is really could use some chairs, though. Who has a porch that big with no chairs?

• Love 18
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

It's Jimmy's room, so the other kid is a friend or brother in there playing video games, but he's not there the rest of the time - when Jimmy is spraying his room with Febreeze, when the mom comes in, etc.

Ah Ok. I wasn't sure, because the boys look so similar. Thank you! 

On 5/30/2018 at 2:55 PM, funky-rat said:

I'm not sure if this is the one I'm thinking of or not, where people talk about how this medicine is enabling them to do stuff, then this woman at the end is older and has long dark hair in a ponytail, but instead of her talking like the other people in the ad, she makes some smarmy comment about letting something take over, or something like that, and then says "PUH-LEAZE!".  She has what I called when I was younger "Mean Eyes".  I can't stand that woman.

You mean hatchet-faced prison matron Joni taking Cosentyx for her psoriatic arthritis before ballet class?  I can't stand her either!   Maybe the side effects are making her a sneering bitch.  

• Love 6
On 6/9/2018 at 5:53 PM, friendperidot said:

Configdotsys, thank you so much, I finally know what a vocal fry is. I've heard it just didn't realize it. I'm more annoyed by young women who talk in such high voices they sound like little girls, if you're old enough to be working, you're old enough to talk like an adult. Yes, I'm old, so yep, get the kids off my lawn!

Ha. You might not be thanking me for long! You won't be able to un-hear it on everything you watch on TV now. :)

• Love 8
12 hours ago, DidISayThat said:

You mean hatchet-faced prison matron Joni taking Cosentyx for her psoriatic arthritis before ballet class?  I can't stand her either!   Maybe the side effects are making her a sneering bitch.  

Yep - that would be her.  I hate that "PUH-LEAZE!!!" that she gives out.  Makes me want to chuck those tiny hand weights at her.

• Love 3
On 6/8/2018 at 10:06 PM, SmithW6079 said:

What makes her think that the black isn't just a background for something more creative or colorful? He could have had posters in mind if he isn't much of an artist. That's one boring color scheme she foists on him at the end.

• Love 4

23 and me and that other DNA company whose name escapes me like to pander to the “all about me” self importance that’s all the rage thanks to social media.  You’re so special.  So unique. Let’s find out more about what a special person YOU are. 

• Love 12

I think commercials are getting longer. Some of those prescription drug commercials seem to last twenty minutes. There's a product called Crepe Erase that treats aging skin. Dorothy Hamill (who looks amazing!) is the spokesperson. I swear it's at least five minutes long.

• Love 15

This is a bit older but good LAWD I hate this commercial!  Who the flip brings a bowl, spoon, cereal, and MILK on a fishing trip?  IDK why this bugs me so much but just the idea of this doofus lugging all this sh!t plus all the other gear around. 

• Love 15