Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

24 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

I wonder why he just can't get the app or whatever himself to open the damn car door.  Why does she have it in space and he does not? 

There's a web site too; you don't need the app. Maybe he can't remember the PIN. Or, it's actually her car and she's just putting up with him using it while she's gone.

• Love 1
On ‎05‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 3:45 PM, mojoween said:

On another note, ever since someone said it here I loathe the car ad where the guy says nah to the witness protection because he would have to get the boring SUV.  Fuck all the millions whose lives he was going to save with his testimony!  Seriously, how did the ad company not notice how shitty that is?  All they had to do was take out that one line and the ad would still be stupid, but it wouldn’t make me think the guy is happy with killing innocent lives.

My take on that is: he's going to testify but not go into witness protection with the crappy car.  He'll take his chances on the mob having him killed after he testifies.

2 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

I don’t remember which car company the commercial is for, possibly Hyundai, but I hate the ad featuring the woman astronaut working in space who is contacted by her earthbound husband to unlock his car via phone. I don’t even care about the logistics of the whole thing. One, I’m irritated by the drippy, twee “Higher Love” playing in the background. Two, hey, chucklehead, your wife is working in space. In. space. Her work is probably pretty important, and you’re bugging her because you’re a dipshit who locked himself out of his car. Come on. Then you top it off with a cheesy joke about the moon, which maybe might have been a cute exchange had you not first interrupted her work. You clearly still have your phone. Call a taxi or something. 

I love the original song, but that version sucks.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

My take on that is: he's going to testify but not go into witness protection with the crappy car.  He'll take his chances on the mob having him killed after he testifies.

And they're going to find him because he's driving a different brand of crappy car? Is Audi saying that their cars are so bad, the mob will just have to watch their service depts and he'll show up?

• Love 3

What they are saying is that other brands are common and boring and if drive one no one will notice you.  But if you drive their car, it's very hip and impressive so people will sit up and take notice of you.  Until the wrong person takes notice and puts a bomb under your flashy car.  

• Love 7
On 5/30/2018 at 6:34 PM, bilgistic said:

Tough crowd. While I agree that 95% of prescription medication commercials are stupid, I don't hate the psoriasis commercial or the eczema commercial. I had horrible eczema as a kid, and nothing helped it. Other people get uncomfortable because they think rash = contagious, which I understand, but it's shitty for the commercial directors to put guilt on the psoriasis and eczema sufferers for people feeling uncomfortable. It's similar to the depression meds commercials in which mom has disappointed her family because she's depressed. There's no concern for the person actually dealing with the disease; it's about how the person's disease is affecting others. People with health issues already feel shitty enough about them without med commercials shaming them.

Meanwhile, there's a commercial for Ibrance, which is a metastatic breast cancer medication. The woman in the commercial is living her best life, running her beautifully curated yarn business and breezily driving with her doting husband to their friends' HGTV-feature-worthy house. Because dealing with cancer is a walk in the park. I wonder if actual women with cancer see that ad and want to throw things at the TV. I've never personally known a woman fighting breast cancer, but I'm pretty sure the battle doesn't look like a spread in Martha Stewart Living.

Yeah, the Ibrance commercial sucks. I had breast cancer and no way was I able to work or do much else. The fatigue is brutal, plus not being able to eat because of nausea and everything tasting like cardboard, and lots of other horrible things. It wasn’t a Martha Stewart Living life for sure!

• Love 8
(edited)
On 5/30/2018 at 4:29 PM, Zevious Zoquis said:

that always bugs me too.  Also, when people are holding whatever product is being advertised in such a manner as to ensure that the logo on the product is clearly visible and not obstructed at all - it usually requires them to hold it in what is obviously a weird/unnatural way.  Like if it's a Pepsi ad they'll hold the can of pop with their hand around only the bottom inch of the can so the top 5 inches is not at all covered.  Its always so obvious that it makes me angry...

further to this annoying thing done in adverts...y'know that ad for Sodastream where the woman sneaks out to her patio and takes a secret sip from a can of pop she has hidden in a planter out there?  Annoying ad to begin with, made even more so by the fact that for some unknown reason she holds the can of generic cola in that weird "don't hide the logo" way!  It's like there's some advertising rule that no logo of any sort shall ever be obscured, lol.  Even a generic non-brand "cola" logo!

Just in a general sense, I think it's actually really wrong-headed thinking on the part of the entire advertising industry that they do that.  I get the idea - you want the logo to be really strongly visible in the ad.  But the weirdness of the effort to not obscure it whenever it's visible is distracting and what it does is contributes to the strong impression that the people in the ad are not actual people - they are fake people hawking product.  Therefore you can't really trust them.  It seems to me advertisers should be making an effort to have things appear in a more natural and believable way.  If its a Pepsi ad, show us the logo in a very clear way - a bottle of pepsi sitting on a counter for instance.  Big close up.  Tell us about it.  But when it comes time to show a room full of people having a fun "Pepsi party" don't have them all standing around holding their cans of pepsi in some weird contorted way so the logos are all staring us clearly in the face!  We can see whatever colors are visible and we'll assume as long as they are Pepsi colors that thats a can of Pepsi in this Pepsi commercial!  And maybe we'll be slightly more inclined to believe the ad because the people look a little less like weirdos shilling Pepsi!  

Edited by Zevious Zoquis
  • Love 5
(edited)

I can't stand the way the actors in the Sabra Hummus ads hold the product, it's so unnatural. And just for good measure, the song annoys the snot out of me along with the singers.

Edited by friendperidot
spelling/typo
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, friendperidot said:

I can't stand the way the actors in the Sabra Hummus ads old the product, it's so unnatural. And just for good measure, the song annoys the snot out of me along with the singers.

I totally agree, it appears that Sabra Hummus is "food from the gods".

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Maverick said:

What they are saying is that other brands are common and boring and if drive one no one will notice you.  But if you drive their car, it's very hip and impressive so people will sit up and take notice of you.  Until the wrong person takes notice and puts a bomb under your flashy car.  

Looks just as boring to me. You do have a point about their car not being common; it didn't even make Kelly Blue Book's top 25 list for best-seling SUV models last year. 

• Love 1

After looking this one up it's from last year so not sure how I've been lucky enough to avoid it since then. It came on one of the channels I watch older shows on and it's pretty long. Even when he's supposedly sleeping his cross is all bright, shiny and hanging outside of his shirt. He has always given me the creeps even if he does some good things with his money and had a troubled past. My creeper radar is pretty good and even if it's taken years people I've found to make me feel like they are creepy usually turn out to be.

• Love 3

"Getting judged on your name is tough.  At overstock.com, our name makes people think we stock overstocked goods."

Imagine that. 

Some of these commercials start out funny, with the crazy-ass names people have been saddled with by their parents, but then it switches to a company that chose its own name and it just turns dumb.  If the name no longer accurately describes the business, change it.  Oh, wait - they did that for about five minutes, with O.Co, and that didn't work, so now they're running this stupid, "Our name is Overstock, but that's not all we sell" ad campaign.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Jaded said:

After looking this one up it's from last year so not sure how I've been lucky enough to avoid it since then. It came on one of the channels I watch older shows on and it's pretty long. Even when he's supposedly sleeping his cross is all bright, shiny and hanging outside of his shirt. He has always given me the creeps even if he does some good things with his money and had a troubled past. My creeper radar is pretty good and even if it's taken years people I've found to make me feel like they are creepy usually turn out to be.

My Pillow's creepy CEO was vocal about continuing to advertise on Laura Ingraham's Fox News show after she--a grown woman with a television "news" show--went on Twitter and mocked one of the student survivors of the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. She lost several other advertisers. My Pillow will never see a penny from me. My Target pillows work just fine.

• Love 12
(edited)
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

"Getting judged on your name is tough.  At overstock.com, our name makes people think we stock overstocked goods."

Imagine that. 

Some of these commercials start out funny, with the crazy-ass names people have been saddled with by their parents, but then it switches to a company that chose its own name and it just turns dumb.  If the name no longer accurately describes the business, change it.  Oh, wait - they did that for about five minutes, with O.Co, and that didn't work, so now they're running this stupid, "Our name is Overstock, but that's not all we sell" ad campaign.

Also, I am missing the point being made by this campaign. Is it bad if that's what people think? In what situation would that name prevent someone from doing some online browsing if that person is looking something in particular? Is it not a possibility that the thing the person wants to buy might fit the category of "overstock," regardless of whether or not that's all Overstock sells? Do regular everyday people generally know what is considered overstock and what would not be?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Also, I am missing the point being made by this campaign. Is it bad if that's what people think? In what situation would that name prevent someone from doing some online browsing if that person is looking something in particular? Is it not a possibility that the thing the person wants to buy might fit the category of "overstock," regardless of whether or not that's all Overstock sells? Do regular everyday people generally know what is considered overstock and what would not be?

The word "overstock" implies to some that it's last year's stuff, maybe refurbished or defective, maybe out of date, too many were made and didn't sell so they were unloaded on deep discounters like Overstock to get rid of it and since it is discounted, something must be wrong with it. Sounds like Overstock is embarrassed by their name. I don't get the point either. 

• Love 1
On 6/2/2018 at 2:48 PM, Brattinella said:

I totally agree, it appears that Sabra Hummus is "food from the gods".

It is! Sooo good! 

Topic?  I hate the way they hold stuff stupidity too. 

• Love 1
On 5/28/2018 at 11:31 AM, Browncoat said:

Perhaps if they would just put down their damn phones and stop texting or Facebooking or Instagramming or whatever it is they're doing (I have seen other drivers taking photos and video with their phones!) and pay attention to the road, they could stay in their own lanes by themselves.  But those people are probably cheering self-driving cars -- they can stay glued to their phones to their heart's content.

But here's the thing.  A self-driving car will never check its phone, take photos or videos, drop something on the floor and grope around trying to find it, play with the radio station buttons, eat a taco, or turn around and yell at the kids while driving. People will do all these things.

• Love 3
On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:01 AM, riley702 said:

I have a pillow with a cool side that I like a lot. I'm not changing a thing.

Does it stay cool?  If I could refrigerate my pillow every day and take it out at night, I would.

• Love 5
On 6/3/2018 at 12:35 PM, configdotsys said:

The word "overstock" implies to some that it's last year's stuff, maybe refurbished or defective, maybe out of date, too many were made and didn't sell so they were unloaded on deep discounters like Overstock to get rid of it and since it is discounted, something must be wrong with it. Sounds like Overstock is embarrassed by their name. I don't get the point either. 

It sounds like an excuse to get more name recognition. Nobody thinks Railroad Salvage waits around for the next train wreck to fill their shelves; every discounter, including Overstock, is going to have a broad inventory.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Ilovecomputers said:

Does it stay cool?  If I could refrigerate my pillow every day and take it out at night, I would.

When my nephew was small he used to stay overnight at my place a lot. One night he was getting ready for bed and I was looking for his pillow. He had put it in the freezer. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Not really a commercial per se, but there’s a promo running right now for the current season of The Bachelorette (which of course I don’t watch) that features the titular lady proclaiming at the end “let’s do the damn thing!”  It’s supposed to I guess show us what a “saucy cookie” she is or something - show us she’s got “tude”...it’s so lame and annoying.  It sounds like a person you know is totally not a saucy cookie trying to sound like she is a saucy cookie.  

Edited by Zevious Zoquis
  • Love 6
16 minutes ago, Zevious Zoquis said:

Not really a commercial per se, but there’s a promo running right now for the current season of The Bachelorette (which of course I don’t watch) that features the titular lady proclaiming at the end “let’s do the damn thing!”  It’s supposed to I guess show us what a “saucy cookie” she is or something - show us she’s got “tude”...it’s so lame and annoying.  It sounds like a person you know is totally not a saucy cookie trying to sound like she is a saucy cookie.  

The thing that annoyed me about this promo was the song they used, proclaiming her an independent woman... who goes on a tv show to find a husband.  Twice.  Right.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Vocal fry will just be replaced by up-speak.  I actually know one person who does both -- annoying as hell.

When you say “up-speak,” are you referring to the mannerism some people have of making statements in a questioning way—that is, their voices rise at the end of every sentence?    Ugh, I hate that!!

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Ilovecomputers said:

When you say “up-speak,” are you referring to the mannerism some people have of making statements in a questioning way—that is, their voices rise at the end of every sentence?    Ugh, I hate that!!

Yes, and I hate it, too. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Vocal fry will just be replaced by up-speak.  I actually know one person who does both -- annoying as hell.

Just the one?  Lucky you. 

• Love 1

Well, just the one that I know of.  She does a fair number of presentations where I work, and I can barely stand to listen to her.  Unfortunately, I don't have a choice.

Our local news and weather readers have started with the up-speak now, too.  Tell me the weather forecast, don't ask me!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

OK, above and beyond the annoying voice, does anybody really just put their FedEx packages out on the curb (literally) and expect them not to be stolen?

Actually, she's putting the box on her sidewalk. It's an optical illusion that it looks like the curb. It'd be safer to put it on the steps, but the brickwork may make it hard for the mail carrier to see it while driving by (the box' color scheme suggests a USPS box rather than FedEx).

I used to help teach Courtroom Procedures for forensic scientists in my lab. It included a mock trial that we taped and played back for the students to point out what they were doing well, and where they needed improvement. By far, the most common improvement needed with women was upspeak.

• Love 3

I was watching some morning show with a guest who was talking about how to interview for a job and she specifically mentioned how upspeak makes women candidates sound weak and indecisive.  Not good qualities in a potential hiree.

• Love 8

Tori Kelly is back in another atrocious Nationwide commercial, warbling a truly terrible song about, well, I don’t know. My brain goes numb for a second and then I fumble for the remote. And she’s just beaming throughout the whole audio nightmare like she’s done something good. Stop it, Nationwide. Please.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, NinjaPenguins said:

Tori Kelly is back in another atrocious Nationwide commercial, warbling a truly terrible song about, well, I don’t know. My brain goes numb for a second and then I fumble for the remote. And she’s just beaming throughout the whole audio nightmare like she’s done something good. Stop it, Nationwide. Please.

AMEN!!!   LMAO!  So true!  She really IS awful.

• Love 4
(edited)

WHY are the Liberty Mutual ads still running? Aren't they at least three years old by now? Isn't that a lifetime in advertising? I cannot stand the woman and her dumbass son. You don't need insurance to fix your tire, get Auto Club, you idiots! I think he sounds stoned in the scene with his friend, and ha ha on his helicopter mom, she has no clue!

Edited by cpcathy
  • Love 15

Thanks to Cosentyx, Mitzi can make sandwiches for her big hungry guys and attend their games! Just watch her! You go girl! 

She can slap down that white bread with the best of 'em.

I swear every other commercial I see is an ad for a prescription drug.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, mmecorday said:

She can slap down that white bread with the best of 'em.

I swear every other commercial I see is an ad for a prescription drug.

I have a daily healthcare clinic/treatment appointment during which I watch TV. There are SO MANY prescription drug commercials on during the day!

• Love 8

We've been out of the country for several weeks, and most of the channels we see on TV in English are English. I swear the English are incapable of even producing an annoying commercial, even for the same products sold in the US - 23 and me, ring.com.

• Love 3
On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 6:58 AM, millennium said:

is there any hope that one day vocal fry will go away and women will learn to speak normally again?

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wEwb/poshmark-overflowing-closet

I still have no fricking idea what vocal fry is - I don't hear it in any of the examples anyone has ever posted.  I suppose I should be glad.

On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 12:18 PM, mmecorday said:

... should be banned.

I kind of like the one with the guy on the unicorn, but otherwise, yeah.

23 hours ago, cpcathy said:

WHY are the Liberty Mutual ads still running? Aren't they at least three years old by now? Isn't that a lifetime in advertising? I cannot stand the woman and her dumbass son. You don't need insurance to fix your tire, get Auto Club, you idiots! I think he sounds stoned in the scene with his friend, and ha ha on his helicopter mom, she has no clue!

Liberty Mutual isn't the only insurance company which offers roadside assistance.  Mine does, and since it's covered in my policy, I'll gladly use it if it's ever needed.  As far as the commercial, I don't think that's the same kid with the mom and then with the guy whose policy doesn't cover roadside assistance.

5 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

As far as the commercial, I don't think that's the same kid with the mom and then with the guy whose policy doesn't cover roadside assistance.

Absolutely - 2 different kids.