Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

The rule of thumb is that you use "an" if you're not pronouncing the "h", and not everyone does for that word. There used to be an ad that played around with the pronunciation of "herb" with a character named Herb.

This made me think of a comedian I saw once who was talking about trying to get a telephone number from directory assistance.  (Remember when you could speak with a human?)  "'P' as in 'Paul,'" the operator asked?  "No.  'P as in pneumonia."

• Love 8
17 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I'm referring to the series of ads that have featured numerous different Colonel Sanders actors.  Can't even remember them all, but Reba McIntyre is the latest.  They're cringe worthy imo.

Aww, I think it's kinda fun (at first) trying to figure out who the new Colonel is.  KFC really threw us with the budget Colonel who wasn't a celeb though.

• Love 6
18 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Checking in here for the first time in quite a while, so forgive if I repeat an already-discussed ad, but does anyone think that the wheel of fortune-style KFC Colonel selector is driving business in the door?  I'm so totally annoyed by that whole campaign that I have vowed to never utter their name let alone patronize that grease laden place.

p.s.:  Didn't think they could scrape the barrel lower than the Norm MacDonald iteration, but yeah, Reba tops ...er bottoms it.

Honestly, the only thing that keeps me from going to KFC more than about 3x per year is the fact that both of the closest ones to me are each an hour away in different directions. If there was a closer one to me than that, I'd be eating KFC a lot more often. Their commercials have absolutely zero impact on whether I patronize them. heh

I just saw the stupid Boost Mobile commercial last night where the lady pretends she's Oprah and repeatedly says "You get a line". I completely agree with a previous poster that it makes it sound like she's handing out cocaine - even in spite of knowing she's in a phone store. That's a horrible commercial and Boost should reprimand their ad agency.

• Love 5
On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:26 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm puzzled by the latest Symbicort ad. This Grandpa who huffs and puffs is wearing a shirt of a less lurid chartreuse than the first two Grandpas, yet the wolf in the cartoon is still in that eye-vibrating green.  At least the cartoon at the end shows wolves in a non-predatory, non-nasty, almost cute light.

I always hated cartoons that showed certain animals in a bad light. Like the ones where the mice (who you really DON'T want in your home) are all cute & lovable and the cat (who you DO want) is a slavering, mean, ugly predator.

The child in the ad has changed--my husband and I were never sure if the first child actor was a boy or a girl--but the canned laughter at the end remains the same.

• Love 1

I'm happy to report that it's been months since I saw a Blythe Danner ad.  Look, it's Blythe standing on stage, pretending to be in a wintry scene!  Look, it's Blythe with her fake grandchildren at an apple orchard/art fair riding in the horse cart.  I see where Gyneth got her fakeness.

• Love 11
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:25 AM, Sweedish Fish said:

She seems a bit angry.   I don't want a perfume that makes me mean and jump off a pier for some reason.

Typical perfume ad.  I've yet to see models in those ads smiling.  They usually have pained or angry expressions on their faces.  Trying to be sexy or mysterious, perhaps?

• Love 1

There is a commercial for Proctor and Gamble, I think.  The woman singing "Ooh, child, things are gonna get easier" is NOT doing the song justice.  Why can't these singers leave the lyrics to a wonderful song alone?  Your version AIN'T better, lady.

• Love 7

There’s an ad running in which a little girl gets grandpa to read her a bedtime story only he’s doing it from somewhere else via a laptop placed next to the girl’s bed.  Can’t remember what the ad is for, but the problem is the little girl.  She is the most sickengly sweet little cutesy patootsie you could ever imagine and I hate her!  The sound of her sweet little voice makes my teeth grind.  So OTT sweet!  This kid is like a bowl of mini marshmallows covered in syrup and whipped cream and topped with crumbled candy canes.  Ick!

• Love 6
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:33 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Stupid kids.  Don't they know there are licorice and strawberry Twizzlers in the basement?  In the breaker box?

And dusty King Hawaiian rolls between the walls of the kitchen and the family room.

• Love 11

I like prunes and bananas, but bananas just give me gas. I like V8, I can't stand regular tomato juice and V8 has a Bloody Mary Mix I like, I just like it by itself, I made the choice many years ago not to drink. And I really do have a choice in the matter, too many people I know don't.

Edited to add, one good thing about the Olympics on NBC, no Farmers Only! But the bad part of watching the Olympics on NBC is the local car dealer's overly emotional, patriotic God Bless America ad. I've started just muting the commercial breaks so I don't have to see or hear them. They were more prevalent over the weekend, maybe I'm not the only one that hated them. The dealership is still running ads, but ones with the daughter and her nasal tones just walking around, but I still l can't stand them. 

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 2

My issues with Reba as the Colonel are twofold.  First, and I understand she came from the big-haired over-the-top country era, but the way she sings in the ads (especially the way she croons barbecue-whoo) makes me want to run her down with a tractor.

Second, her wig angers me.  It’s so dumb.  And that’s super ridiculous, but here we are.  I hate that stupid thing.  

And I know it’s actually rather similar to what the real Colonel’s hair looked like, but still.  She’s too small to wear that godawful thing.  It makes her face look weird.

• Love 5

These are the same assholes who ingrained "Time to make the donuts" on my generation.   So they'll just have to suffer my indignation.

I hear ya, I really do but I'll take the old school commercials over the new stuff like Mountain Dew "puppymonkeybaby" any day of the week.

I'm certain that the guy who said "Time to make the donuts" would absolutely hate Dunkin Donuts today. I feel very sad for him that the company (Dunkin Donuts) that he help made relevant to people is a shell of its former shelf & its not worth a damn anymore. 

y issues with Reba as the Colonel are twofold.  First, and I understand she came from the big-haired over-the-top country era, but the way she sings in the ads (especially the way she croons barbecue-whoo) makes me want to run her down with a tractor.

Second, her wig angers me.  It’s so dumb.  And that’s super ridiculous, but here we are.  I hate that stupid thing.  

And I know it’s actually rather similar to what the real Colonel’s hair looked like, but still.  She’s too small to wear that godawful thing.  It makes her face look weird.

How about KFC just stop throwing mud at Colonel Sanders with this crap? I don't appreciate them still mocking Colonel Sanders on a daily basis with this nonsense. If he was alive today, KFC, their commercials, & their food would be better off. I know that he wouldn't find these current commercials funny. 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 14
On 2/12/2018 at 3:23 PM, Ilovecomputers said:

Dear KFC ad makers:  The "h" in herbs is silent. 

And I always thought that the "th" in "clothes" was relatively silent; I mean, most people say "close". But now I hear the "th" over-enunciated everywhere. It just sounds odd.  

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

That really, really helped. So he's a you tube guy that makes fun of commercials. To bad that the commercial/ad people don't pay attention to him and this forum; maybe they wouldn't torture us with this horrible commercials. I wonder if they make prisoners, like in Gitmo, watch commercials on a loop all day and all nite (I like to spell it that way) and cranked up loud. 

• Love 1
On 2/13/2018 at 2:02 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Checking in here for the first time in quite a while, so forgive if I repeat an already-discussed ad, but does anyone think that the wheel of fortune-style KFC Colonel selector is driving business in the door?  I'm so totally annoyed by that whole campaign that I have vowed to never utter their name let alone patronize that grease laden place.

p.s.:  Didn't think they could scrape the barrel lower than the Norm MacDonald iteration, but yeah, Reba tops ...er bottoms it.

Well it worked on me.  I went to KFC just yesterday.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Lol I just saw this ad for the first time and came here to tear it a new one but I see Mahk beat me to it.  The JD Power crap is so pathetic.  :D  Getting an award from JD Power is only slightly better than getting an award from Chevy’s corporate news letter lol...

• Love 5

WTH is with this ad?

Dude opens that soda like a freaking animal.

Don't point your fucking finger at me.

Voicemail? Haircuts? Who cares?

"Because I can". What does any of this have to do with the product?!?

• Love 8
On 2/15/2018 at 7:14 AM, Zevious Zoquis said:

Can’t remember what the ad is for, but the problem is the little girl.  She is the most sickengly sweet little cutesy patootsie you could ever imagine and I hate her!  The sound of her sweet little voice makes my teeth grind.  So OTT sweet!  This kid is like a bowl of mini marshmallows covered in syrup and whipped cream and topped with crumbled candy canes.  Ick!

Cawowine? Is that you?

• Love 5

"America Runs on Dunkin'". They've been using that for awhile. Guess they are dropping the donuts part. We get great donuts at our supermarket. Cost a lot less, bigger, and not pumped so full of air like DD that there's nothing to it.

On 2/15/2018 at 6:44 PM, Stella Rose said:

The new McDonald's Big Mac advert is making me crazy.  The one woman has a mouth that looks so odd, it is almost cartoonish.   It freaks me out ad sends me diving for the fast forward button...     Creeeee-py.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/waIC/mcdonalds-big-mac-super-bowl-2018-cherish

Eeeew. I hate commercials that show people eating, like a close up of their mouth.

Like this one. Ew.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Magog said:

I'm certain that the guy who said "Time to make the donuts" would absolutely hate Dunkin Donuts today. I feel very sad for him that the company (Dunkin Donuts) that he help made relevant to people is a shell of its former shelf & its not worth a damn anymore. 

If you were a DNKN stockholder, you might think differently...it's doing rather nicely with a good projection.  :-)