Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 3/21/2017 at 6:14 PM, Brattinella said:

I went through the same things when I worked in a computer shop.  I also developed a following.  The thing with Ace Hardware, though, is the alliteration (or something similar) that the original lyrics had when it was sung.

Aww, I actually love the new Ace Hardware ads.  They pretty much acknowledge that the new lyrics are a bit awkward when they sing the second line.

Edited by cynicat
  • Love 5

The Cat's Pride ads are very convincing.  They've convinced me that my choice to never, ever, get a cat was a good one.

The people that made that ad do not have cats. Not ones that they love, anyway.  Most any cat owner will tell you that's an invalid stereotype. It annoys crazy cat ladies, who know LOTS better.

• Love 11
16 hours ago, InDueTime said:

Plus, I can only wonder how constantly trading in those autos is affecting their credit ratings.

Credit agencies consider it a good thing for you to always have "installment debt"; so much so that you can't get a perfect score without it (assuming you're making the payments). According to my credit card co's web site, paying off your car (and having the money for other things) drops your FICO 30 points.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Credit agencies consider it a good thing for you to always have "installment debt"; so much so that you can't get a perfect score without it (assuming you're making the payments). According to my credit card co's web site, paying off your car (and having the money for other things) drops your FICO 30 points.

Wow!

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I saw that VW ad for the first time last night, and it left me wondering who approved that one.

It's memorable. However, I find myself thinking that VW's do not have very good suspension. 

Purina vs Blue Buffalo. At the end, the lady says, "I'll have to try that." And I said to the tv, "You're not the one who has to eat it. Maybe your cat likes Purina."

31 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

True. Young man came in to buy a car, he had paid off all of his credit cards ... and his credit score was nil. It's a crazy world.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

I hate the Ragu ads with the choppy voice delivery:  Simmered.in.tradition.in.robotic.voice. 

And I hate Ving Rhames with his, "Arby's: We have THE MEATS!" over-acting ass.  And to think - - I still love Pulp Fiction and Baby Boy Ving.

• Love 5
Just now, absolutqt said:

And I hate Ving Rhames with his, "Arby's: We have THE MEATS!" over-acting ass.  And to think - - I still love Pulp Fiction and Baby Boy Ving.

I never even knew that was Ving Rhames' voice.

• Love 4

Oh, Orajel, I don't care if those people are "real" and not actors, when you do an extreme closeup in this age of HDTV, people need makeup. Either put some foundation on them - guys too! - or back the hell up. Actually, just do the latter. Thanks.

• Love 4
On 3/23/2017 at 8:20 PM, InDueTime said:

I'm no prude, but two people screwing is not a picture I want in my head when looking at cars, Volkswagen. It doesn't help that I find the song in the ad irritating despite liking Dean Martin.  Plus, I can only wonder how constantly trading in those autos is affecting their credit ratings.

I agree! This commercial makes me feel like I need a shower. And Volkswagen, the only thing I think about when I see one of your cars is Dieselgate.

• Love 3

There is a new commercial for some car. No idea what brand but the guy is all serious faced and says "I know this is a tough decision" as if it's something major and then smiles and says, "Let's take the thousand dollars cash back." The wife agrees all smiles and the guy says, "I want to get one of those gaming chairs with the speakers," and the wife  says, "Oh, I'm not surprised" or something like that and pats his leg like he's a child because she knows the best way to use the money.

It makes me nuts. Why not take the windfall, split it in half and treat yourself to something? Why not? Probably because the wife would demand to have a say on what the guy spent the money on. That kind of stuff makes my blood boil. 

P.S. I saw a Ace commercial earlier today and have been singing, "Ace is the place with the helpful hardware face" all day long in my head. So thanks to the person who posted that upthread!

• Love 9
6 hours ago, absolutqt said:
9 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

All this time I thought that was James Earl Jones!

• Love 5
10 hours ago, ennui said:

Purina vs Blue Buffalo. At the end, the lady says, "I'll have to try that." And I said to the tv, "You're not the one who has to eat it. Maybe your cat likes Purina."

Mine have Blue Buffalo for the dry, but they LIVE for that can of Fancy Feast they split each evening. FF is crack for cats, I think.

• Love 2

My cats HATE wet food. I get their (prescription) diet dry food delivered by UPS and I thought I might run out before it got here, so I bought two wee cans of Natural Balance. Bosco licked at it and Stella walked away in disgust.  Fortunately the Purina OM (overweight management) arrived in time for them not to have to suffer yet another indignity of wet food.

• Love 3

Cats are so weird. I give mine "gooshy food" twice a week and I always buy the same brand. There is one variety, I believe it is called Supreme Supper or some other nonsense, that my little female simply will not touch. She sniffs it and turns right around and stalks away as if I had just tried to give her a bowl of poison. And she gives me such a look! I don't buy that flavor any more.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, configdotsys said:

There is a new commercial for some car. No idea what brand but the guy is all serious faced and says "I know this is a tough decision" as if it's something major and then smiles and says, "Let's take the thousand dollars cash back." The wife agrees all smiles and the guy says, "I want to get one of those gaming chairs with the speakers," and the wife  says, "Oh, I'm not surprised" or something like that and pats his leg like he's a child because she knows the best way to use the money.

It makes me nuts. Why not take the windfall, split it in half and treat yourself to something? Why not? Probably because the wife would demand to have a say on what the guy spent the money on. That kind of stuff makes my blood boil. 

I think those are VW too. Some of their ads have been so great - even moving (the old one for the Cabrio, with "Pink Moon" as the soundtrack). Not so much with these newest ones.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, clubsauce said:

And Volkswagen, the only thing I think about when I see one of your cars is Dieselgate.

People forget quickly. Now, they just want their $1000.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Cats are so weird. I give mine "gooshy food" twice a week and I always buy the same brand. There is one variety, I believe it is called Supreme Supper or some other nonsense, that my little female simply will not touch. She sniffs it and turns right around and stalks away as if I had just tried to give her a bowl of poison. And she gives me such a look! I don't buy that flavor any more.

I can't remember anything important, but I do know that "Supreme Supper" is a Friskies flavor, not to be confused with "Super Supper", which is a 9 Lives flavor.  Everyone loves the latter, whereas the former makes my female cat throw up.  So it's not all the same after all.

• Love 3
Just now, 3pwood said:

I can't remember anything important, but I do know that "Supreme Supper" is a Friskies flavor, not to be confused with "Super Supper", which is a 9 Lives flavor.  Everyone loves the latter, whereas the former makes my female cat throw up.  So it's not all the same after all.

Wow. Yes it was Friskies. I wonder what's in it, she wanted nothing to do with it. The derpy male, of course gobbled up both portions.

/not saying all male cats are derpy, just this one of ours.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, riley702 said:

Mine have Blue Buffalo for the dry, but they LIVE for that can of Fancy Feast they split each evening. FF is crack for cats, I think.

Agree on the crack for cats. My cats each devour a can of FF Elegant Medleys each evening. So their menu one evening may be "White meat chicken tuscany with wild rice and garden greens in a savory sauce" and I'll have a baked potato and a piece of plain grilled chicken.

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, 3pwood said:

not to be confused with "Super Supper", which is a 9 Lives flavor.  Everyone loves the latter

Well, of course. Morris the Cat wouldn't lie. (Anyone remember Morris?)

024f35f3543196f0dc2f154fe73a9e37.jpg

• Love 19
3 hours ago, configdotsys said:

Agree on the crack for cats. My cats each devour a can of FF Elegant Medleys each evening. So their menu one evening may be "White meat chicken tuscany with wild rice and garden greens in a savory sauce" and I'll have a baked potato and a piece of plain grilled chicken.

Isn't it sad when your pets eat better than you do?  I mean, at least your cat's food sounds more appetizing!

• Love 5

Aleve "umbrella" commercial -- all I see is a homeless guy handing out broken umbrellas, and a woman giving him a dirty look. At the end, he jokes that he'll sell it to her for half price. I have never seen anyone selling umbrellas on the street, so it's a dumb ad.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ennui said:

Aleve "umbrella" commercial -- all I see is a homeless guy handing out broken umbrellas, and a woman giving him a dirty look. At the end, he jokes that he'll sell it to her for half price. I have never seen anyone selling umbrellas on the street, so it's a dumb ad.

Actually, in DC where I grew up there were people who sold umbrellas on the street.  This was a long time ago, in the 70s, and I think they were $5.  They made good money because many times they'd catch people who'd forgotten and left theirs at home and got caught in a rainstorm.  I bought a few.  : )

• Love 5
On 3/17/2017 at 7:51 PM, mojoween said:

This is probably hypocritical since I tend to spout movie lines like it's my job, but I hate that douchenozzle in the AT&T ad.

Anyone who yells "Hodor" at the elevator is going to watch me hit the door close button and that FACE he makes with "and don't call me Shirley?" makes me want to punch him in the esophagus.  He is not endearing, AT&T.

I think this commercial would be good, or at least tolerable, if it was a different guy.

On 3/18/2017 at 5:16 AM, spiderpig said:

Fellow Night Owls -

One of my default channels that will remain nameless (sounds like "Prude Letjerk") runs horrible, awful spots with animals behind bars or

Help me out here; I've said this out loud like a billion times, and still can't figure out what channel this is.....

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ennui said:

Magically, within 2 minutes of rain starting in NYC, there are people on every corner selling umbrellas. 

It is a stupid commercial though.

• Love 4

So those Deal Kings commercials are back.  Awesome.  I really love watching a bunch of douche bros in a sports bar hand wringing whether someone will make a touchdown.  As if the commercials weren't bad enough, even though the scenes are obviously for fantasy football, they're advertising for fantasy....golf.  I mean seriously?  

• Love 1

There's also fantasy hockey. I learned this from an ex-boyfriend who would watch any televised sport, and had several fantasy leagues. He once watched badminton, and not during the Olympics. It was constant. I got a lot of reading done when we "spent time together" (he watched sports and I read).

Holly Robinson Peete and her husband must really be hard up for money to promote stuff like Lipozene. I like Holly but there's never been a Lipozene commercial I've ever come close to liking in all the years they've been on. I've  been watching Antenna TV for a few hours tonight and have seen it about 7 times. Once during each 30 min show and twice during Johnny Carson.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/A0QW/lipozene-losing-a-lot-feat-holly-robinson-peete-rodney-peete

• Love 1

They've been playing this "New York State has so much to offer. Come here for jobs" commercial for a while now and one of them features this millennial going on about how great it is work with really cool people designing computer games. As if that happens nowhere else... 

The part that makes my blood boil is she says "When I go into my local coffee shop, they now who I am, which is really cool." I have news for you, I live in NYC and have lived in multiple boroughs. Every single one of the local coffee shops I frequented knew my name and "who I was" as well. So please. 

• Love 4

I don't know if this is a nation-wide thing or not, but every time the new Papa John's commercial ("Hey, football fans!") comes on, it's so freaking loud it could shatter my windows. Scares me out of my skin EVERY. TIME.

• Love 3
On 3/24/2017 at 8:45 PM, configdotsys said:

There's also one with an older gentleman talking to a younger adult, about how he's not trying to pry into his son's private decisions and that he respects his son for his ability to make appropriate choices...then the son is all "I'm going with the cash back!" and the dad is so proud. Ugh. I did kind of feel for the wife in the one commercial though, when she said "Oh, this is a surprise," because I, too, have been in a situation in which I overheard my husband making a proclamation about something "we" were planning despite our never having actually had the conversation in which the decision would have been made. [In my case, it was overhearing that we planned to retire to SC. I know why my husband wants to live in the Myrtle Beach area and I have no objection to moving to that area when we retire, but I would like to actually have a say in that decision before he tells family members that it's a done deal.]

• Love 5
On 3/24/2017 at 8:45 PM, configdotsys said:

P.S. I saw a Ace commercial earlier today and have been singing, "Ace is the place with the helpful hardware face" all day long in my head. So thanks to the person who posted that upthread!

I bet she wants to spend it on a fridge full of yogurt he's not allowed to eat.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Qoass said:

This isn't a new commercial but I hadn't seen it in a while and the rage came right back:  two parents are stealthily preparing to eat some Breyer's? gelato when their brat of a kid comes into the room and gives them the third degree about having some.  The parents are absolutely cowering in fear!  Send that little Hitler back to bed and eat whatever the hell you want.  Your world should not be ruled by your eight-year-old.

"Is that ice cream?" What if it is you little shit? Get your ass back to bed! Jesus those parents are about as wimpy as they come. 

• Love 19

Oh. my. God you GUYS.  There was a Liberty Mutual commercial on today that was not completely hateworthy.  The couple who were LM clients were sweet and cute and frickin' NICE.

YouTube was no help so I can't link it, but they were talking about their fire insurance.

Even though I liked the ad, I'm still here in this thread because the rest of their commercials need to be killed with fire.

• Love 3
On ‎03‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 9:22 PM, Moose135 said:

I saw that VW ad for the first time last night, and it left me wondering who approved that one.

I'm torn on this one: I wonder how it got approved, but I kind of like it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Oh. my. God you GUYS.  There was a Liberty Mutual commercial on today that was not completely hateworthy.  The couple who were LM clients were sweet and cute and frickin' NICE.

YouTube was no help so I can't link it, but they were talking about their fire insurance.

Even though I liked the ad, I'm still here in this thread because the rest of their commercials need to be killed with fire.

I saw one featuring fire insurance which implied that other companies won't replace your house and belongings, causing me to shout "they will if you're sufficiently covered" which has nothing to do with the company and everything to do with your level of coverage.  I hated that commercial, too.  Although it did remind me that I probably should call my insurance company and up my coverage after living in the same house for 12 years.

• Love 6

Hmm now that you mention it what LM seems to now have done is to make their customers normal and the people who have that OTHER coverage look like drooling morons.

So I will still hate LM ads, but in the fire one I didn't hate their clients.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Jaded said:

I tried to check a few of Liberty Mutual's commercials on ispot.tv and got the message that they had been removed at the advertisers request. 

What, they were embarrassed at how many downvotes they got?

• Love 7
15 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I saw one featuring fire insurance which implied that other companies won't replace your house and belongings, causing me to shout "they will if you're sufficiently covered" which has nothing to do with the company and everything to do with your level of coverage.  I hated that commercial, too.  Although it did remind me that I probably should call my insurance company and up my coverage after living in the same house for 12 years.

Exactly.  An insurance company will cover anything if you are willing to pay for it.

About the Breyer's gelato commercial, I think the parents are mean to taunt the kid about how delicious the ice cream is.  Give him some or don't, but don't tease him about it.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 6