Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

No more so than other toilet paper products.  It's all in how much you use.

Does Amy Schumer shrieking at people really help Old Navy sell clothes?  'Cause I would run over my grandmother to get that mess off my tv.

The only thing that'll help them sell clothes is to bring back women's cargo pants - I need those side pockets for my phone. Maybe then I could overlook the ads. But it's been years and nothing. You had one job, Old Navy!

• Love 7

I'm sure I watch way too much basic cable but there's a commercial making the rounds for some cleaning device called Turbo Scrub being hawked by some Billy Mays wannabe. The bathroom they show that needs cleaning is so disgusting it's actually hilarious trying to figure out how something could ever get that filthy. It's like it survived some sort of nuclear fallout. Check it out.

And then there's an even more baffling one about mail shrimp and I don't even know what it's advertising! Some guy is eating a shrimp sandwich and I swear to God it looks like a penis sticking out of the bread singing to him.  Very disturbing.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Jamoche said:

The only thing that'll help them sell clothes is to bring back women's cargo pants - I need those side pockets for my phone.

I'm a bit suspicious of the pants in the current ad because you don't see Amy wearing them and the models that do are the typical toothpicks.

• Love 6
On 2/26/2017 at 9:07 AM, Brattinella said:

That practice is only good for the Dentist, not the patient.  Patient has to get multiple appointments AND pay for them for the same cavity.

With all due respect, Brattinella, patients do not pay per appointment, they pay per procedure. The prophylaxis (cleaning) is one fee, the exam is another fee, and the X-rays are still another. If the dentist diagnoses a cavity, the filling is yet a different charge. And a busy dentist who is good and has lots of patients will need to schedule a separate appointment to fill the tooth, unless he or she happens to have a cancellation right then and has the time to do it. 

I guess you could say that a hygienist is a "dental monitor", aside from the cleaning of the teeth.

(Been in the dental biz for 25 years, and have managed a busy practice for 18 years)

• Love 4
9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

And then there's an even more baffling one about mail shrimp and I don't even know what it's advertising! Some guy is eating a shrimp sandwich and I swear to God it looks like a penis sticking out of the bread singing to him.  Very disturbing.

It's completely bizarre, but I kind of love the Mail Shrimp song.

• Love 1

I nearly wept with relief when my local Chevrolet group changed their commercial from the "look how our vehicles drive uphill in the snow" ads to something else.  I can't even tell you what the something else is but if I heard that "Shotgun!  Ooooooooh" exchange one more time, I was going to have to run myself over with my Toyota.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 2/28/2017 at 8:47 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

Then there's the one where the lady "fell out of bed" and lay on the floor for TEN HOURS until her dorter found her!!  I'm kind of old & I still don't understand how you fall out of your own bed. Or why she has a dorter instead of a daughter.

It happens to old people a lot. Your balance gets whacked out as you age and it's scary and dangerous for them.

I used to laugh at the Life Alert commercials. Then one day I saw my elderly mother start to fall down a flight of stairs and couldn't get to her in time. Now those commercials just terrify me.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 10

The talk about strong vs. soft toilet paper reminds me:

How come in the adjustable bed ads, the guy always dials a firm setting while the woman needs it soft.

I dare you to keep your response out of the gutter.

• Love 10
43 minutes ago, Qoass said:

How come in the adjustable bed ads, the guy always dials a firm setting while the woman needs it soft.

Because men work "hard" all day and women lie around on their "soft" behinds watching soaps and eating bon bons.

• Love 7

In the 80's Dior had the perfume Poison. Now they have one called Poison Girl and I can't find the exact commercial I saw for it last night on YT or Ispot. It made me think of this song though.

• Love 1

Sorry if this commercial has been hated before but the Hariboo (?) gummy candies commercial with the adults being voiced over with baby talk...commenting on the candy. Disgusting.

And I'm not sure if I even know if I should change the channel....but it's a car company showing some guy bull fighting and I think (at a glimpse) he's spearing a bull? I hope I'm wrong. (please someone tell me I'm wrong.)

• Love 2
(edited)

As for this dentist stuff, I don't understand the debate (for lack of a better term)--if the dentist has time and so does the patient, why not do it right then? It happens (not to me; I haven't needed a filling since fifth grade). If not, you make an appointment. I really don't think that if a dentist doesn't have 30 patients a day, every day it indicates a crappy practice. But if I have an appointment for a cleaning at 2, and I get held up because the one before me has an unexpected cavity to fill, I'm gonna get pissed--and that is what I's label a crappy practice!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

Late night ad for an extended warranty company, called Car Shield. Mike Ditka growls at the camera, "because when the check engine light comes on, it's too late." Well, it depends on why the light came on, doesn't it? Some things are minor, like a loose gas cap, but yes, it could be expensive, too. You need a diagnostic before you panic.

There's another extended warranty company called TOCO, but it says it's not available in California. So why do I have to watch the commercial?  

I guess extended warranties are the thing these days, but I think most people get them through their dealership.

• Love 3

What is it with obnoxious brats supposedly being "cute"?

My candidate for an old-fashioned trip to the woodshed is the Yoplait brat who, when it is pointed out her container is half full, slurps it down like she hasn't eaten for a year then says it's empty, and offers a snotty " Sorry ", which I presume is meant to be cute, but makes me want to tan her ass till it glows in the dark. (Yeah, I'm of that generation. Never had kids, but nannied in college & did not use spanking because consequences are more effective. However, in this little brat's case, I'm happy to make an exception.)

Who is this supposed to appeal to? Ineffectual parents?

• Love 8

Also can anyone make the Credit score services ads just stop? Particularly The one where the girl says scores don't change cuz she hasn't changed but her friend is like what? They show a flashback to her wearing a couple different outfits that apparently her friend doesn't like to illustrate how she's changed. 

So first of all changing your clothes indicates exactly what about one's life? And clothes have nothing to do with credit scores.

very very stupid commercial

• Love 6
12 hours ago, novhappy said:

I hate the Progressive ad where Flo and some guy are riding motorcycles and SCREAMING over the road noise. It's many many decibels louder than tolerable. 

Flo talking in a whisper is many many decibels louder than tolerable.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, novhappy said:

I hate the Progressive ad where Flo and some guy are riding motorcycles and SCREAMING over the road noise. It's many many decibels louder than tolerable. 

I hate the one in which Flo is stuffing her face with cheese.

• Love 4

Does anyone remember the phone commercial in which the (implied idiot) husband (who wants the other phone company) gets all tangled up in the blinds in the background as the wife speaks on the phone with the "good" company?

• Love 1

There's a Booking.com commercial that drives me crazy. There's a kindergarten teacher with a class full of kids running around like a bunch of terrors. She wants a kid free vacation. Based on the behavior of those kids, she should have a permanent kid free vacation because if she can't handle a bunch of 5 year olds, she has no business being a kindergarten teacher. 

• Love 12
1 minute ago, Stacey1014 said:

There's a Booking.com commercial that drives me crazy. There's a kindergarten teacher with a class full of kids running around like a bunch of terrors. She wants a kid free vacation. Based on the behavior of those kids, she should have a permanent kid free vacation because if she can't handle a bunch of 5 year olds, she has no business being a kindergarten teacher. 

Thank you!!! Worst kindergarten teacher in the world! I especially like the makeup of the dark circles under her eye pre-vacation. Yikes. So their message is that booking.com is for losers?

• Love 4
(edited)
On 3/1/2017 at 4:00 PM, iMonrey said:

And then there's an even more baffling one about mail shrimp (YT: MailShrimp - mail shrimp) (YT: MailShrimp - mail shrimp)

and I don't even know what it's advertising! Some guy is eating a shrimp sandwich and I swear to God it looks like a penis sticking out of the bread singing to him.  Very disturbing.

On 3/1/2017 at 7:04 PM, smittykins said:

Are you sure it's not Male Shrimp? ?

(Actually, at the end I saw "MaleShrimpFilm.com" so I'm guessing it's a movie.)

I just looked it up, and apparently there's a series of them (MailShrimp, JailBlimp, KaleLimp), and they're ads for an email marketing service called MailChimp.

Edited by OmegaX123
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 3/2/2017 at 11:10 AM, Qoass said:

I hate the one where the narration says, "He's more hardcore." He's hardcore because he wants his bed to be firm?! If he was so tough and hardcore, he'd leave the bed to his delicate lady and sleeping outside in a military-issue hammock hanging from a tree--in the winter!

I know in commercials for drinks like Boost or Pediasure or ice tea or whatever, they want to show the labels and all that, but it annoys me to see someone either drinking from the can/bottle or pouring it into a glass in a completely unnatural hand position (like with the thumb parallel to the container's side as opposed to wrapped around it). 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 9
On 3/1/2017 at 0:46 PM, proserpina65 said:

No more so than other toilet paper products.  It's all in how much you use.

Does Amy Schumer shrieking at people really help Old Navy sell clothes?  'Cause I would run over my grandmother to get that mess off my tv.

^This.  I have Old Navy gift cards to spend but I every time I try to go I think of that loudmouth, annoying Amy Schumerand their dumb ads and I find somewhere else to shop.

I lurk on this thread pretty often so I know this has been mentioned before but I was want to add my seething hate for Macy's and their stupid One Day Only sales.  Perhaps if they had better quality merch and didn't inflate the prices to begin with they would not need to have a sale every freaking week.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

There's a Booking.com commercial that drives me crazy. There's a kindergarten teacher with a class full of kids running around like a bunch of terrors

Have you noticed how she just grabs a phone out of a child's hand to book her vacation?  She could have said, "May I borrow your phone," but then the kids might have learned something by example. You're right, though.  She's the adult and her classroom is utter chaos.  Do kindergarteners still take naps on mats?  I'm guessing they don't in her classroom. 

HATE the pneumococcal pneumonia ads. There's one with a mother and daughters with a matching blonde cocker spaniel, and the mother says if she'd arrived at the hospital a day later she'd be dead. Oh come on!  Who can say that with any certainty?  Then there's the nimrod zip lining and talking about pneumococcal pneumonia. He acts like he's Jack Lalanne or something because he's so FIT to be on this zip line. I wish someone would loosen or cut the cables. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Personally, I love Sparkling Ice (especially the Black Raspberry and Sparkling Lemonade), but loathe the commercials. Really stupid.

OK, this one's kinda funny:

The first few times I saw these, I heard "Sparkling Ice isn't planned, so this commercial can't be, either!" And I'm all "Of course the commercial was planned, how could you even (looks up and reads the words). Oh. Stupid commercial!"

Edited by riley702
  • Love 1

Have you noticed how she just grabs a phone out of a child's hand to book her vacation?  She could have said, "May I borrow your phone," but then the kids might have learned something by example

I took it that the kid had taken her phone. She's still a crap teacher.

• Love 8
16 hours ago, Brattinella said:

This girl singing (screaming) a song for YUCK Nutella.  COME with me, Share the HappiNASS YASS!  They run this POS every commercial break on A&E!

The weird pronunciation is apparently a thing now. I hate how they sing, "BIDE-dee" for body. (I mostly blame John Mayer and Ariana Grande for starting that trend.) :-)

• Love 1
5 hours ago, CaffeinatedAunt79 said:

^This.  I have Old Navy gift cards to spend but I every time I try to go I think of that loudmouth, annoying Amy Schumerand their dumb ads and I find somewhere else to shop.

I understand your reluctance to shop there, but think of it this way - the longer you hold on to the card, the longer they hold on to the money without having to give you any product for it.  So there's that...

On 2/27/2017 at 3:15 PM, iMonrey said:

Yes but I thought it was kind of funny.

Oh Lord, I saw Morgan Fairchild in a commercial for mattresses and was horrified. It actually looks like someone wearing a Morgan Fairchild mask, her face is just that unnatural. See for yourself.

OMG, that's Morgan Fairchild?? I knew she looked familiar, but I couldn't quite place the face...because it doesn't look like quite the same face.  Yikes.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

There's one with a mother and daughters with a matching blonde cocker spaniel, and the mother says if she'd arrived at the hospital a day later she'd be dead. Oh come on!  Who can say that with any certainty?

Doctors could with, if not certainty, something more like very high confidence, but it's usually the other way around, as in "if she'd come in even a day earlier, she wouldn't have died." Still, I could easily buy a situation where a doctor told a person "this is serious, if you'd waited until tomorrow you probably would've died". The statement in the ad is a bit hyperbolic, but to me, within reason.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I understand your reluctance to shop there, but think of it this way - the longer you hold on to the card, the longer they hold on to the money without having to give you any product for it.  So there's that...

OMG, that's Morgan Fairchild?? I knew she looked familiar, but I couldn't quite place the face...because it doesn't look like quite the same face.  Yikes.

She's still beautiful, but yeah, that's not how I remember her from her heyday on 80s nighttime soap operas.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

Doctors could with, if not certainty, something more like very high confidence, but it's usually the other way around, as in "if she'd come in even a day earlier, she wouldn't have died." Still, I could easily buy a situation where a doctor told a person "this is serious, if you'd waited until tomorrow you probably would've died". The statement in the ad is a bit hyperbolic, but to me, within reason.

I once had a cat that developed pyometra(which was totally my fault for not having her spayed earlier), and the veterinarian said that if I had waited even a few hours, she might not have survived.  She did recover and I had her another 9 years.

• Love 5
On Friday, March 03, 2017 at 10:53 AM, ari333 said:

I hate the one in which Flo is stuffing her face with cheese.

I JUST HATE FLO. PERIOD. Lazy ass advertising department at Progressive Insurance just doesn't want to come up with anything fresh or new or pay an advertising company. I think i was in my early 50's when Flo with her gross red lips came on TV. I'm in my 60's now. 

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

I think i was in my early 50's when Flo with her gross red lips came on TV. I'm in my 60's now. 

That sounds about right; Stephanie Courtney was in the Mad Men premiere episode, and Mad Men started in 2007. I think she became Flo around the same time.

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:48 PM, janie jones said:

First of all, the Verizon (?) commercial where the guy goes through four or five microphones because he keeps dropping them is completely ridiculous.  No matter what reason he brought all those microphones, he's a buffoon, but also, why couldn't he just pick up the microphone he dropped (if he insists on dropping it in the first place)?

Secondly, there's a LifeLock commercial where this "dental monitor" tells this guy he's got the worst cavity he's ever seen, and the patient is like, "Okay, let's fix it," and the dentist's like, "Oh, no, I just diagnose these things, I don't fix them," and then the LifeLock people come on and say whatever it is they say in this series of commercials, that they don't just report the problem, that they fix it or whatever.  Anyway, what annoys me is that the patient has an unrealistic expectation if he thinks his dentist is going to fill his cavity right then and there.  If they find a cavity, they'll make an appointment to have it filled later.  Unless that guy wants the people who are already scheduled to have their checkups after him to have to wait or get their appointments cancelled.  So yeah, the point still stands, that this guy's a "dental monitor," not a dentist, and they do just abandon the guy with cotton still in his mouth, but it doesn't change the fact that the guy wouldn't realistically have the filling right there in the first place.

What is that dropping the microphone all about? I must have missed something from ten or twenty years ago...

Isn't the dental hygienist technically a "dental monitor"? That bugs me.

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 11:56 AM, ari333 said:

Oh dear god, I hate that commando lady. Someone told me that her products can clog up the plumbing. IDK if that's true. Never tried the product.

Yes, those wet wipes can clog up the plumbing and it's causing cities to have to install shredders in their piping.

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 11:10 AM, Qoass said:

I was sure I saw one that was reversed.

I am beyond tired of those fake focus group ads for Chevy.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Ubiquitous said:

What is that dropping the microphone all about? I must have missed something from ten or twenty years ago...

The mic drop thing is just another way for people to be obnoxious in a "My point just kicked your point's ass so I'm dropping the mic to show you that this conversation is over." 

I hate the 2 for 5 McDonald's commercial with the two people going back and forth about what their friend ordered and he says, "I got a mic drop, in the baaaaaag." Ugh.

While I'm on a rant: there's this lottery commercial here where a guy won a thousand dollars a day or something and spends an afternoon standing the couch up and rearranging furniture and books to make a clubhouse in the living room for his kid. The quote about what you'd do if you won the money said "Spend more time with my kids." Meanwhile, this ridiculous monstrosity in the living room probably took 10 hours to do and it's hard to believe the kid hadn't come out of his room in all that time while it was being built. Also, if you want to spend more time with your kid, how about building something together? I just think the whole commercial is stupid.

• Love 5

I used to think that some of the GEICO commercials were funny, but I'm sick of seeing a new commercial every other day.  There are just too many of them now.  I would love to know what their advertising budget is.  

• Love 4