Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I think a big part of WW is the meetings which encourage members to stay on the plan because they have to weigh in every week. But people who live out "in the sticks" would probably not have access to those meetings. 

• Love 3

You can do WW on-line. I know people who have had success with it. I prefer the meetings. There is something very motivating about a weekly weigh-in. Once you're on maintenance, you only weigh in once a month, and the program is free. I got lots of useful info at meetings. They encourage very healthy eating and over the years emphasize exercise more and more. All my docs have told me they approve of my following their program.

• Love 2

That makes sense, actually--I'm just not familiar with WW's methods and system. But, yeah--sort of like how I don't work out much even though I have my own treadmill at home. But if I paid for a gym or signed up for a class with friends or something, I'd actually make the effort.

• Love 1

Oh it is, and it's infuriating; I can tell you that people ditch pets for health issues all the time, even easy-to-solve ones--not that these people even know half the time that it's easy, as they seldom bother to try to find out. I've never seen this commercial but if I were a vet, I might be a bit offended!

When I was a vet tech, we had an asshole client that put down her adorable 3 year old Westie because she had to give her a pill every day. RIP Lizzie Smith.

• Love 4

Some people, man--sorry, but they deserve whatever shit they get in life. We just adopted out a cat that had been in a home for over five years. The woman brought her in saying she was peeing all over the house. Coincidentally, this was exactly at the time this lady's kid (whose cat it was) left for college.

And what do you know? Even in her foreign and understandably stressful new shelter environment full of other cats, this cat peed outside the litter box...exactly zero times.

• Love 10
46 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

When I was a vet tech, we had an asshole client that put down her adorable 3 year old Westie because she had to give her a pill every day. RIP Lizzie Smith.

There was an episode of Emergency Vets where the owner of a German Shepherd with epilepsy had him put down for the same reason.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I have a major problem with the FreshPet dog food commercial that says a dog owner has a dog with digestive problems, is small, takes the dog to the vet, and the vet tells her to take it to a shelter. Instead she feeds it FreshPet, and the dog thrives. I've never had a dog, only cats, but I've never had a vet that would say that. I call major lie and bull shit!!

I know my vet would never say that in a million years.

17 hours ago, janie jones said:

I saw that T-Mobile ad with the fees/fleas, and I actually didn't think it was bad.  If I hadn't read about it here first, I don't think I would have thought anything of it.

I don't think it's bad in concept, necessarily.  I just hate bugs and can't watch it.  It gives me the heebie-jeebies.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Oh it is, and it's infuriating; I can tell you that people ditch pets for health issues all the time, even easy-to-solve ones--not that these people even know half the time that it's easy, as they seldom bother to try to find out. I've never seen this commercial but if I were a vet, I might be a bit offended! 

This confuses me: if WW customers can still eat what they like in moderation, then what is the point of paying for WW in the first place? Why does a person need WW in order to do something he or she could do without paying for this service? Or is the draw to join more about prepared-food or workout plans, or meetings that give people a helpful vibe of camaraderie and encouragement? Or even that paying for a service might help some people stay on track better than being left to their own devices?

Taking my answer to small talk.

• Love 3
On 12/10/2016 at 4:02 PM, Brattinella said:

What?  Is this related to a commercial?

A few of them - Any slimy lawyer tv ad - any doo-dad that will be doubled "BUT WAIT!" for $19.99 (just pay separate S&H)

Need I go On?

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Archery said:

The actual tones are G-E-C (low, high, medium), which would be made by keys in this order:  long, short, medium. 

But in the ad, the xylophone keys go G-C-E, long, medium, short and are tapped left to right -- which would produce this tune instead:  low, medium, high.  It KILLS me that they tap them in order to make the NBC chime, even though that would make an ascending chime that is not at all the tune. 

I would like to be your friend.

6 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

This confuses me: if WW customers can still eat what they like in moderation, then what is the point of paying for WW in the first place? Why does a person need WW in order to do something he or she could do without paying for this service?

The accountability of the meetings, plus the math. Their program isn't straight calorie/fat/sugar/whatever math. They roll up their algorithm into "points", so basically, you pay to be in the program and have access to their giant database of how much every possible thing you could eat is worth, and use their ap to track what you ate. People could totally do the same or similar with other aps or not programs, but they're not just paying for "eat whatever you want in moderation". It's the how to keep track of what "moderation" means that they're paying for, plus for those who do the meetings, that.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Archery said:

There are local commercials (Boston TV market) advertising the fact that NBC has changed cable channels as of the beginning of the year.  Its logo is 3 xylophone keys, marked N-B-C, which get tapped to sound the three tones that NBC has always used.  The slogan is something like, "same chimes, different channel." 

For what it's worth, NBC was originally owned by General Electric, thus the chimes.  It seems sacrilege to change the order of the tones.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, Haleth said:

For what it's worth, NBC was originally owned by General Electric, thus the chimes.  It seems sacrilege to change the order of the tones.

I'm not saying change the order of the tones. I'm saying change the order of the keys so they match the iconic tones.  I'm saying what is visually depicted on this stupid commercial cannot possibly produce what you are hearing.  And it's not that difficult to do it right.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Archery said:

I'm saying what is visually depicted on this stupid commercial cannot possibly produce what you are hearing.  And it's not that difficult to do it right.

Seriously! How hard would it have been to just hit the right keys. It's a small thing to have done right. Why bother doing it wrong? It's the laziness of it that is aggravating. Do your job right people!

• Love 1

The NBC tones pre-date GE buying NBC. It was founded/owned by RCA. 30 Rock used to be the RCA building.  I remember when GE bought NBC; Dave Letterman went over to their HQ with a gift basket to welcome them. He was turned away by security. They had a contentious relationship ever after.

• Love 2
On 1/9/2017 at 4:34 PM, mojoween said:

Geico, it is not at all surprising to see Tiki Barber do a shitty job working as a barber.  The only surprising thing is that he didn't fumble the razor.

Ha! Or cheat on it and run off with his mistress while his loyal razor was in the hospital about to deliver their child. (I know that made no sense, I just don't like Tiki Barber anymore).

• Love 6
20 hours ago, theatremouse said:

The actual tones are G-E-C (low, high, medium), which would be made by keys in this order:  long, short, medium. 

But in the ad, the xylophone keys go G-C-E, long, medium, short and are tapped left to right -- which would produce this tune instead:  low, medium, high.  It KILLS me that they tap them in order to make the NBC chime, even though that would make an ascending chime that is not at all the tune. 

I am in awe of your recognition of the musical tones.  My sole knowledge of musical notes comes from the scene in "The Sound of Music" where Maria teaches the VonTrapp children musical notes on the day spent in Vienna.  (Right now, I'm singing, "La, ti, ti" etc.)

• Love 2

I hate the Ancestry.com commercial with the woman who says, "I thought I married an Eye-talian.  Turns out he's mostly Eastern European," or something like that.  Are you suggesting you might divorce him because he's not Italian?  Jerk.  Who are you, the Aryan Queen?

Has anyone here used those DNA kits for family ancestry?  I ask because my mother was adopted as an infant and we know nothing about her biological family (other than her mother died of spinal meningitis two weeks after giving birth to her) and I would like to know about my mother's family.

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, Ilovecomputers said:

I hate the Ancestry.com commercial with the woman who says, "I thought I married an Eye-talian.  Turns out he's mostly Eastern European," or something like that.  Are you suggesting you might divorce him because he's not Italian?  Jerk.  Who are you, the Aryan Queen?

I agree 100%.  Also, what the hell is wrong with her face?  Does she have cheek implants?

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

Has anyone here used those DNA kits for family ancestry?  I ask because my mother was adopted as an infant and we know nothing about her biological family (other than her mother died of spinal meningitis two weeks after giving birth to her) and I would like to know about my mother's family.

Taking to Small Talk.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

Is that the dodo who later says something about "our ancestor"?

• Love 4

If you meet someone who has only one ancestor, contact the press immediately because they're a clone!

8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The NBC tones pre-date GE buying NBC. It was founded/owned by RCA. 30 Rock used to be the RCA building.  I remember when GE bought NBC; Dave Letterman went over to their HQ with a gift basket to welcome them. He was turned away by security. They had a contentious relationship ever after.

I remember his frequently repeated phrase "those pinheads at GE."

• Love 6
On 1/10/2017 at 11:31 AM, TattleTeeny said:

As a matter of fact, yes, I'm very offended. Then again pet food companies have a tendency to bash vets so it's nothing new.

• Love 7
20 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I meant when the National Broadcasting Company was established in the 20s.  GE was part of the syndicate.  At least this is what they said on the NBC tour.

Edited by Haleth
On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 4:34 PM, mojoween said:

Geico, it is not at all surprising to see Tiki Barber do a shitty job working as a barber.  The only surprising thing is that he didn't fumble the razor.

In the commercial, it says that Tiki Barber OWNING a barbershop is surprising.  Which, indeed, it would be, because no one with any sense would let him near them with clippers or scissors.

• Love 3

The Cheerios ad with "MORE BABIES, PLEASE!  THEY'RE FUN!"

Fuck you, Cheerios.  They're not toys.  They are human beings who require commitment and care for two decades or more.  And this world does not need more of them created for simple amusement.

Ugggh.  So much hate for that commercial.

• Love 15
17 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

If you meet someone who has only one ancestor, contact the press immediately because they're a clone!

I can't tell if this is in response to my comment about the woman referring to "our ancestor."  If it is, I'll clarify that the issue is not that the woman uses the word "ancestor," singular, but that couples do not typically share ancestors.

• Love 4

Then there's the one with an average looking middle-aged woman who brags that everywhere she goes, people want to know what nationality she is. Really, everywhere she goes? She must frequent a lot of comedy clubs.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Ilovecomputers said:

except for in "Flowers in the Attic" type couples.

And Spanish kings: http://scienceblogs.com/notrocketscience/2009/04/14/how-inbreeding-killed-off-a-line-of-kings/ - make sure to click the "family tree" link; that's not so much a tree as a very recursive loop. Go back six generations and the poor kid only had four ancestors.

All those people who get asked what "nationality" (wouldn't that be "American"?) they are should come to California - nobody would even blink.

• Love 5

And that stupid jack-wad who wears a kilt because his family thinks they are Scottish but trades it in for lederhosen when he finds out he's really German.  Way to throw the culture you grew up in out the door.

Which brings up a whole 'nother issue for me.  Isn't your "culture" the one you are raised in?  I mean, I was raised more or less as if I am a Polish-German American.  If I found out that my German side was really Swiss, or Croatian, or Latvian - would I suddenly have a whole new "culture"?  Does that come with awareness of your DNA, if you never even met the ancestors from whom it came?  I just struggle with that concept, that you get a whole new understanding of your culture.

• Love 16
21 minutes ago, Jamoche said:

All those people who get asked what "nationality" (wouldn't that be "American"?) they are should come to California - nobody would even blink.

If only that were true for me when I lived in California.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Jamoche said:

And Spanish kings: http://scienceblogs.com/notrocketscience/2009/04/14/how-inbreeding-killed-off-a-line-of-kings/ - make sure to click the "family tree" link; that's not so much a tree as a very recursive loop. Go back six generations and the poor kid only had four ancestors.

The Hapsburgs themselves (his ancestor Maximilian) were already inbred.  This just made it worse.  And there's a reason Queen Victoria is known as the Grandmother of European Royalty.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Aquarius said:

Does that come with awareness of your DNA, if you never even met the ancestors from whom it came?  I just struggle with that concept, that you get a whole new understanding of your culture.

And then along comes the black lady who discovers which parts of Africa she's from, and has such a big awesome grin putting on the native dress and hat. Because she doesn't have any family stories to go by.

Damn you, Ancestry, do not make me reduce how much I hate you!

• Love 5
15 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Then there's the one with an average looking middle-aged woman who brags that everywhere she goes, people want to know what nationality she is. Really, everywhere she goes? She must frequent a lot of comedy clubs.

And her nationality is American.  Her ethnicity (as she says) is Hispanic (or whatever the test showed).  And who the heck is asking her wherever she goes?  Weird commercial.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, Aquarius said:

Which brings up a whole 'nother issue for me.  Isn't your "culture" the one you are raised in?  I mean, I was raised more or less as if I am a Polish-German American.  If I found out that my German side was really Swiss, or Croatian, or Latvian - would I suddenly have a whole new "culture"?  Does that come with awareness of your DNA, if you never even met the ancestors from whom it came?  I just struggle with that concept, that you get a whole new understanding of your culture.

I agree with you that our cultures are what we were raised in.  It seems to me that anyone who would latch on to a new culture based on what a DNA test said would have felt something was missing in his or her life.  There is another Ancestry.com commercial that shows a woman who looks obviously--to me--Native American, and she got her results back and was shocked! to learn she was Native American.  The commercial then shows her with a bunch of pottery, but I can't remember if she took up pottery or it spoke to her or whatever.  I still want to do the test.  I know I am mostly French on my father's side.  If I discover my mother's biological family is Irish, you will not see me at the pub doing Irish jigs, but that's just me.

• Love 6

My point is, the woman starts out the commercial talking about how she thought her husband was such-and-such, and at the end she's talking about "our ancestor."  If she had said "We found out we're distant cousins and our ancestor is blah blah blah," then it wouldn't be ridiculous.  As it stands, she's referring to her husband's great-great-great-great-great whatever as her own ancestor.

It wasn't stated in the commercial that they were either Ashkenazi Jews or European royalty, as it would have been either prior knowledge not necessitating the DNA test, or the reveal of the commercial, so I think it's safe to assume they are neither.  So I stand by my assessment of the commercial.

• Love 6

The ad for TLC go with the mother who is so caught up in whatever stupid show she's watching on her tablet, she chops her kids hair off and dresses all stupid, eats dog food etc, because she can't take her eyes off the stupid show.  I guess I should be thankful they don't show her driving.. 

• Love 11

My point is, the woman starts out the commercial talking about how she thought her husband was such-and-such, and at the end she's talking about "our ancestor."  If she had said "We found out we're distant cousins and our ancestor is blah blah blah," then it wouldn't be ridiculous.  As it stands, she's referring to her husband's great-great-great-great-great whatever as her own ancestor.

I agree. That commercial bugs the shit out of me. Unless these two idiots are related, why would she say "our ancestor"? My husband's ancestors are HIS, my ancestor's are mine. We don't have "our" ancestors.

• Love 10
21 hours ago, janie jones said:

If it is, I'll clarify that the issue is not that the woman uses the word "ancestor," singular, but that couples do not typically share ancestors.

Doesn't everybody if you go back far enough? It helps if your ancestry goes back to someplace that's relatively isolated (e.g. a Cuban couple rather than Mexican).

I freaking hate all the tax preparation commercials -- Turbo Tax and Credit Karma (I think it's that one) -- that are all touting their "free" tax preparation. I go to an accountant because I want a professional who knows what he's doing, not some automated tax software that won't be able to answer my questions. That brings me to my next rant -- when did we become a bunch of freeloaders who don't want to pay for anything? It's one thing to get the most for your money, but another where we all want something for nothing. "I want to drive on well-maintained roads/police/firefighters/teachers, but I don't want to pay the taxes for them." "I want to the news, but I don't want to pay for it." "I want professionally prepared websites/brochures/newsletters, but I don't want to pay for the work." And so on and so on.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 15

I keep seeing a commercial with a woman in a car saying that her mornings are so busy she doesn't have time to hashtag her breakfast, so she drinks some yogurt-y thing instead.  What the hell?!  Maybe that makes sense to someone, somewhere, but I don't get it.  

• Love 6