Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

Lord, I feel your pain---I'm an unwillingly vocal fry-focused listener too, and I immediately cringe the minute I hear that scratchy stupidity hit my ears. But then again, I'm a high school teacher, so I get to hear all the ridiculous slang/upspeak/vocal fry on a frightening daily basis; it's like this generation's own lame spin on the Valley Girl epidemic of the 80's.

Upspeak seems to have dwindled a bit, but it's nowhere near as widespread still as vocal fry. The thing that irks me is when I hear fellow teachers vocal frying it up in staff meetings---lots of teachers on my faculty here are white gals under 30, and I literally want to throat punch them when they start croaking out that unprofessional mess.

I'm blaming the Kardashians, Paris Hilton and Britney Spears, since they really brought the intentional vocal fry on out into the national spotlight, trying to seem so sexy and world-weary.

Now we get to hear idiot scratchy-voiced young women on commercials croaking themselves silly. Ugh...please stop already---you don't sound cute or sexy, you sound like a dumbass.

Best post of the day!

• Love 3

Lord, I feel your pain---I'm an unwillingly vocal fry-focused listener too, and I immediately cringe the minute I hear that scratchy stupidity hit my ears. But then again, I'm a high school teacher, so I get to hear all the ridiculous slang/upspeak/vocal fry on a frightening daily basis; it's like this generation's own lame spin on the Valley Girl epidemic of the 80's.

Upspeak seems to have dwindled a bit, but it's nowhere near as widespread still as vocal fry. The thing that irks me is when I hear fellow teachers vocal frying it up in staff meetings---lots of teachers on my faculty here are white gals under 30, and I literally want to throat punch them when they start croaking out that unprofessional mess.

I'm blaming the Kardashians, Paris Hilton and Britney Spears, since they really brought the intentional vocal fry on out into the national spotlight, trying to seem so sexy and world-weary.

Now we get to hear idiot scratchy-voiced young women on commercials croaking themselves silly. Ugh...please stop already---you don't sound cute or sexy, you sound like a dumbass.

Now see, if you actually throat punched even one of them, I bet you would hear less vocal fry.

I mean there has to be some sort of temporary insanity defense based on having to hear vocal frye

• Love 5

I recently heard a discussion about vocal fry on NPR (Freedom Fries) which basically concluded that the millenial generation not only doesn't notice the vocal fry, if they do, they couldn't give a shit.  In other words, if you both hear and are annoyed by the new speaking trend then you are probably old.  I fit that mold.  It makes me particularly stabby to hear the vocal fry AND upspeak used together.

If you want to hear that part of the podcast, when you click on the hyperlink,go to about 25' 54'' in.  It should be bookmarked there but it might not be.

• Love 3

I'm 39, so I guess I'm old to most millennials. But damned if I can't help but feel that a young woman intentionally sounding like she's smoked a pack of cigars daily makes me stabby.

Get off my lawn, vocal fry.

• Love 10

Colleges don't actually cost that much more these days after you adjust for inflation. What's changed is the willingness of students to work their way through college. Work experience is important to employers when you graduate, even if you just held crummy, low-paying work-study jobs on campus that didn't make much of a dent in costs. Does UofP even have a work-study program?

I only wish this were remotely true back when I was in college! I had a full course load and two part-time jobs (bookseller at B&N and waiting tables until 1:00am), and still couldn't pay the bills. And do not even get me started on art school, which cost three times as much and, with at least four 8-hour days per week of classes (and this doesn't include studio time), allowed zero time for a job unless you could find one on just Fridays and Saturdays (which would likely not pay for even your supplies for the week).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4

Oh my goodness, any commercial for any product that claims, for example, "100% of women saw improvement when they used [Product]." Really?! I am to believe that every last one of us on the planet used your product and reported positive results?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4

I have a question about the new Jaguar commercial, with the announcer/narrator pronouncing it "Jag-you-ah". I remember in Mad Men, Lane Pryce pronounced it "Jag-you-are" (I can't spell it as "proper" as he made it sound) which I assumed was the way it was done in the UK. So what's with dropping the R sound...is it to sound even more pretentious or is that a real thing?

Edited by MaryPatShelby
  • Love 2

I have a question about the new Jaguar commercial, with the announcer/narrator pronouncing it "Jag-you-ah". I remember in Mad Men, Lane Pryce pronounced it "Jag-you-are" (I can't spell it as "proper" as he made it sound) which I assumed was the way it was done in the UK. So what's with dropping the R sound...is it to sound even more pretentious or is that a real thing?

I have heard different voices on different Jaguar commercials all pronouncing it slightly different. The one that makes me want to shoot myself is jag-e-wa.

• Love 2
ARI333, ON 14 APR 2016 - 11:14 AM, SAID:

There's not enough peen in movies imo..

I totally agree, but more importantly Kevin Bacon himself has made a new video expressly to say so.

With all apologies to Kevin Bacon, I would like to make a couple of points about the supposed imbalance of female nudity and male nudity in the mainstream media.  First, I presume that most people who are upset by this also feel that it is unjust that males may appear shirtless in public while females may not, but using that standard we must either count all shirtless scenes as male nudity, or not count topless scenes as female nudity. If we do the former, men have been called upon to appear nude onscreen since the days of Clark Gable and before.  Heck, even on a family show like ABC's "Dancing with the Stars". the male participants are frequently shirtless, while I don't recall Peta Murgatroyd or Witney Carson ever dancing completely topless, though if it ever happens you can be assured it will stay on my DVR for quite some time.  If we do the latter, and not count toplessness as female nudity, I suspect that that would close the male to female nudity ratio considerably.

As far as full frontal nudity is concerned, since male genitals are external and female genitals are internal, I would suggest that the only female equivalent of an actor displaying his penis would be a complete spread eagle, and I haven't seen too many of those, not even on "Game of Thrones".  To summarize, I am calling for more topless female dancers on "Dancing with the Stars", and more vajayjay on "Game of Thrones". It's only fair.

Edited by Rum Punch
  • Love 6

Most British accents drop the final -r.

• Love 3

If we consider nudity to be the exposure of one's "bathing suit area," I think there are probably three camps of people who think there isn't enough male nudity: people who think women's breasts shouldn't be considered part of the "bathing suit area" (which Rum Punch describes); ones who consider breasts and not the male chest to be private, so that men stripped to the waist isn't considered equivalent; and people who think breasts shouldn't necessarily be sexualized, but that they are still kind of private, so that men stripped to the waist isn't considered equivalent.  I wouldn't guess that the first group outnumbers the other two put together. 

It also seems that even if an individual doesn't think women's breasts should be covered, they may think it unfair that actresses should be "expected" to show a body part that society at large considers private.

• Love 2

It also seems that even if an individual doesn't think women's breasts should be covered, they may think it unfair that actresses should be "expected" to show a body part that society at large considers private.

Then someone should give Kim Kardashian the memo. I think everyone would be very happy if she'd keep her breasts under wraps at this point, just because its so boring by now. And it takes a lot to get me to say that.

Topic?

Sorry, I got nothin'.

• Love 9

I'm hardly a millennial - I'm 55 - but after listening to that piece, including the woman who supposedly had a vocal fry, I still don't hear it, and don't get the problem.

I'm with you, a little younger. I have no idea what vocal fry is. I heard examples of it, and cannot say anything jumps out at me, as unusual.

• Love 3

Vocal fry is women being criticised for existing. They up talk they get criticized, so they lower their tone, which causes that "fry" and they still get criticized. The obvious message is that women should sit down and shut up.

Edited by 90PercentGravity
  • Love 7

I'm 39, so I guess I'm old to most millennials. But damned if I can't help but feel that a young woman intentionally sounding like she's smoked a pack of cigars daily makes me stabby.

I'm in my mid-forties, and back in the late 90's Angie Harmon's naturally raspy voice is one of the things that shoved me into crushdom

What?

• Love 2

Oh my goodness, any commercial for any product that claims, for example, "100% of women saw improvement when they used [Product]." Really?! I am to believe that every last one of us on the planet used your product and reported positive results?

Oh no, more like 100% of the women you paid to "test" your product report improvement.....after being told that the product should result in improvement....and after the numbers are adjusted upwards for any margin of error issues.....and if you round up.....

I personally have no desire to see more "peen" on TV or in movies. Is that unusual? Why would I care?

I just want the rules on TV/movie pee pee relaxed in hopes of seeing Jon Hamm's junk.  It looks like something I want to see please.

• Love 3

I'm in my mid-forties, and back in the late 90's Angie Harmon's naturally raspy voice is one of the things that shoved me into crushdom

What?

I remember that voice.  

Also, there's a female lead who plays Erin on Chicago PD and the male lead who plays Hank, and both of them have raspy voices that just drive me up a wall.  I stopped watching the show after a couple episodes.

• Love 1

I'm with you, a little younger. I have no idea what vocal fry is. I heard examples of it, and cannot say anything jumps out at me, as unusual.

Okay. At the risk of being dinged for OT, vocal fry doesn't really bother me. Ex-smoker here.

But the uptalk can, imho, change the dynamic of a conversation.

I have to wonder if the speaker is asking me a questiom or is the speaker stating a fact.

Oddly(?), I can't recall commercial vocal fry but I know I've heard questions that weren't.

• Love 2

Colleges don't actually cost that much more these days after you adjust for inflation. What's changed is the willingness of students to work their way through college. Work experience is important to employers when you graduate, even if you just held crummy, low-paying work-study jobs on campus that didn't make much of a dent in costs. Does UofP even have a work-study program?

UoP was "designed" for students (and military) working full time. Classes are at night or online, one class at a time for 6-8 weeks (maybe longer, I forget). You go through your "program" with the same group.

With all apologies to Kevin Bacon, I would like to make a couple of points about the supposed imbalance of female nudity and male nudity in the mainstream media.  First, I presume that most people who are upset by this also feel that it is unjust that males may appear shirtless in public while females may not

Nope, I don't feel that way. Never met anyone who did, but I'm sure they exist.

As far as representation and exposure in popular media (TV and movies, for present purposes) is concerned, I would seriously maintain that the female equivalent of the penis is the breasts. In both cases, this is (to a great extent) the part of the anatomy that those interested in that gender are interested in and curious about seeing; and for those who possess them, they're the part of the anatomy on whose size and appearance they're apt to be judged, and which is felt (unjustly, and despite all efforts at raising our consciousness to rise above this) to embody their masculinity or femininity.

So every time boobs are exposed, we need a peen to balance it out. I'd say we have 50 years of arrears to make up. I'm somewhat tongue in cheek about this, but I think I'm serious too. (But you have to factor in that I'm an aging gay dude who endured bare breasts bursting forth on the screen during his college years in the late 1960s, with never a male bit in sight.)

• Love 6
Rinaldo, on 23 Apr 2016 - 9:06 PM, said:

Nope, I don't feel that way. Never met anyone who did, but I'm sure they exist.

As far as representation and exposure in popular media (TV and movies, for present purposes) is concerned, I would seriously maintain that the female equivalent of the penis is the breasts. In both cases, this is (to a great extent) the part of the anatomy that those interested in that gender are interested in and curious about seeing; and for those who possess them, they're the part of the anatomy on whose size and appearance they're apt to be judged, and which is felt (unjustly, and despite all efforts at raising our consciousness to rise above this) to embody their masculinity or femininity.

So every time boobs are exposed, we need a peen to balance it out. I'd say we have 50 years of arrears to make up. I'm somewhat tongue in cheek about this, but I think I'm serious too. (But you have to factor in that I'm an aging gay dude who endured bare breasts bursting forth on the screen during his college years in the late 1960s, with never a male bit in sight.)

Pretty sure I didn't post the post you're quoting, Rinaldo.  I would not be that analytic about female nudity and male nudity or Kevin Bacon.  Ever.

I have heard different voices on different Jaguar commercials all pronouncing it slightly different. The one that makes me want to shoot myself is jag-e-wa.

Jag-wire.  Makes me stabby.

• Love 2

Jag-wire 

Ok, so , full disclosure, I have a 1990  convertible V-12 XJS,  Love it, except when my 8 year old says "jag-wire".  Which makes me want to stab him.  And his Dad.  Which wouldn't be right.  Right?

Edited by arejay
  • Love 2

Ok, so , full disclosure, I have a 1990  convertible V-12 XJS,  Love it, except when my 8 year old says "jag-wire".  Which makes me want to stab him.  And his Dad.  Which wouldn't be right.  Right?

That's a sweet ride! If I were on the jury, you'd never be convicted...

• Love 5

A few years ago, they were pronouncing it Jag-yoo-ar.

This is how I pronounce it.  It feels very British and classy....but it always ends in an Austin Powers impression ("lets motor in my Jag-yoo-ar baby!")

• Love 1

It bugs me when it's not pronounced /jag-wahr/, especially since I never heard these weird ass versions before those Jaguar ads.

I despise the Chevy fake focus group commercials.

I hate emojis.

Oh, joy!

They've been combined!

Amen!

• Love 1

'It bugs me when it's not pronounced /jag-wahr/, especially since I never heard these weird ass versions before those Jaguar ad's.

FWIW, Hubby wanted to put "WHYTPSY" on the license plate. I told him I would not drive it. We settled on "WHYTCAT"

Edited by arejay

What I don't get is the people who will say they watched a documentary about jag-wahrs, but insist that they drive a jag-wire. It's the same fucking word!!!

I really came here to unload my rage about the UoP ad, but I see my beloved Preverts have it covered. But is anyone else amused that an ad for a university that's desperately trying to establish some credibility features a vocalist who sounds like a drunk Edie Brickell? I'm not aware of too many things / I know what I know if you know what I mean... Like, a degree is, like, a degree, you know? Like, but only if you, like, have a brain.

• Love 7

FWIW, Hubby wanted to put "WHYTPSY" on the license plate. I told him I would not drive it. We settled on "WHYTCAT"

When I first read that, I took it to be "Why Tipsy" then when I saw what you settled on, I realized what his original idea was, and understand your objections.

• Love 1

When I first read that, I took it to be "Why Tipsy" then when I saw what you settled on, I realized what his original idea was, and understand your objections.

I just got it too.  I thought it was Why Tipsy...and I thought that was a bad idea....I think WHYTPSY would be hilarious! 

Once I finally got that license plate I would probably give someone the thumbs up for having the balls to put that on a license plate.

• Love 1

'It bugs me when it's not pronounced /jag-wahr/, especially since I never heard these weird ass versions before those Jaguar ad's.

Gee, that's a weird way to spell "Jaguar"! ;-)

• Love 4

If you can get it past the motor vehicle dept. Some are pretty strict and will even consider how something might be interpreted in a foreign language.

Yep.  I remember they had a problem with one that you could read UPSIDE-DOWN, and it said something naughty.

Yet Virginia issued "MSFU" to a friend of mine, a fellow Zevoneer.  It's the acronym for Warren Zevon's song, My Shit's Fucked Up, but when she was stopped by a cop for speeding, he asked her if it meant Mississippi State Flying Unicorns and she said, "No...Montana." She got a warning instead of a ticket. Her adult daughter was mortified.

But Georgia won't issue anything, even their own randomly generated numbers, that has an F before a U.

• Love 4

The car was white, so WHYTCAT is for 'white cat' since jaguar is a member of the cat/feline family.  I'm not touching WHYTPSY (yes, that's intentional) but hopefully decrypting the first will connect the dots on the second.  If not, you're probably better off not knowing.

• Love 3