Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

Jennifer Aniston and her First World Travel Nightmare Emirates commercial are getting on my last nerve.

I have had the good fortune to fly international first class (not on Emirates, but on a very lovely Lufthansa plane) and, yes, it is delightful and it's always a sad thing when my upgrade doesn't clear. But I don't have nightmares about it where I scream and faint in the middle of the plane. Give me a break.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 3

One of my previous cats used to love getting on the table and licking the butter.  She loved it.

Also, she would eat raw lettuce whenever I let her do it!  (I even have a pic!)

I thought all cats loved butter. My kitten can hear a margarine tub being opened from anywhere in the house.

• Love 2

Gawd..The Master P and Romeo commercial for ICDC College drives me insane.  Yeah - looks like a place where I'd like to get my education <snark>.  Whenever I see that ad, I can think only that ICDC must stand for "I Can't Do Crap".

http://www.icdccollege.edu/about-us/icdc-college-videos-2

OMG!  ICDC CAWL-ledge!  Please get them off my TV!  Have you seen the one with the woman?  She has a HUGE bosom, and is urging ladies to go to ICDC and get a job with Homeland Security!  I don't know who she is, or what she does, but to me she looks like a stripper.

• Love 2

OMG!  ICDC CAWL-ledge!  Please get them off my TV!  Have you seen the one with the woman?  She has a HUGE bosom, and is urging ladies to go to ICDC and get a job with Homeland Security!  I don't know who she is, or what she does, but to me she looks like a stripper.

I had never seen these ads, so I went to youtube. According to the video, the woman is Chiquis Rivera, who I've never heard of, but she's a singer/television personality. And I must say, she has some really big......personalities.

• Love 4

Oh My God, I just saw a creeeeeeepy Great Clips ad.  There's a ventriloquist's dummy sitting by himself, he's part of the act Lenny & Benny, but Benny, the human, isn't there.  The poster shows both of them with big bushy haircuts.  The doll crawls out the door and down the street, looking for his human, and the crawling part is just ... ick.

He finds Benny at Great Clips, getting the bushy haircut cut off, and he's devastated.

• Love 1

Oh my God.  The toaster strudel woman is back.  Now with a girl.  "This moment is perfect in every way. Juuuuust like my kid. Gooey. Flakey. Happy. Toaster Strudel."  Gahh, I literally want to throat punch that woman her voice is so annoying.  Or beat her to death with a box of Toaster Strudel.  There is not a single commercial, and I am including the incredibly heartbreaking ASPCA one that makes me cry for an hour afterward if I accidentally see it, that makes me dive for my remote faster.  Honestly if I can't locate the remote fast enough I literally (yes!) run out of the room just so I don't have to hear her.  If I had to pinpoint it, I guess it's the quasi-sexy voice she is attempting to use while describing her kid eating.  Or something.  Blecch.

I thought I was the only one! That voice over is disgusting! I think it might be her dry mouth: her mouth makes sticky noises. I don't know how else to describe this horror.

• Love 3

Gawd..The Master P and Romeo commercial for ICDC College drives me insane.  Yeah - looks like a place where I'd like to get my education <snark>.  Whenever I see that ad, I can think only that ICDC must stand for "I Can't Do Crap".

http://www.icdccollege.edu/about-us/icdc-college-videos-2

I'm always concerned when people need to use quick camera cuts and funky music to sell "college"

And I'm even more concerned that it works.

• Love 2

We have enough pig-like persons nowadays, we don't need commercials making this behavior seem normal, urging them on!

Like stupid aggressive drivers thinking that they are on a "closed course"

At this point, I'm halfway expecting to see a restaurant commercial where the servers just come out and dump the food on the table, then back away before they accidentally lose a finger or a hand. Because either the food really is just that good or these folks haven't eaten in days, because there's really no other reason for them to be attacking it like they've just escaped from a desert island.

Are you an Ad exec?  :)

• Love 2

Ugh Panera and their good, clean food campaign makes me barf. What are all the rest of the restaurants serving, dirty food? Well, maybe Chipotle, haha. And yes I know what it means, I just really hate the term. And, by the way, isn't the mainstay of Panera's menu sandwiches? Made with bread? Which doesn't fit in the least with unprocessed "clean" food? Not to mention all the sweets and pastries. Hypocrites.

• Love 6

Those cell phone ads with all the balls rolling around just need to go away.

I used to like Panera and I do like their food. Their biggest problem is half the time they are out of the food they are supposed to have on hand. Like plain bagels. How does a store named Panera run out of plain bagels.

Also my daughter points out to me years ago Panera bread really means "bread bread".

I do like their restaurants, though. They are nice, quiet and have free Wi FI.

• Love 4

i Love Panera! Their salads are wonderful - Thai Chicken is my favorite. My husband loves their cobb cihcken salad and their wild rice and chicken soup. I like the turkey chili. The service is fast and friendly. Yesterday I talked to a manager about a catering item I wanted that wasn't on their on-line guide, and she said they could do it for me. I've had nothing but positive experiences, and I'm not being paid for this endorsement. :)

• Love 5

Those cell phone ads with all the balls rolling around just need to go away.

I used to like Panera and I do like their food. Their biggest problem is half the time they are out of the food they are supposed to have on hand. Like plain bagels. How does a store named Panera run out of plain bagels.

Also my daughter points out to me years ago Panera bread really means "bread bread".

I do like their restaurants, though. They are nice, quiet and have free Wi FI.

McDonalds also has free wifi....unfortunately no one who worked there knew the password.  But still, the times, they are achanging.  And thank goodness, because every local Starbucks is a crowded mess.

I'll give Panera credit: it's not easy to find a good 500-or-less item on a lot of menus.  You're stuck either ordering a bunch of steamed vegetables a la carte or getting something fantastic and hoping you have the willpower to only eat half of it.  I'm suggesting Panera the next time people ask me where we should go.

• Love 3

Allright...general question to the board.  What do you all think of the Amazon Alexa commercials with Alec Baldwin/Jason Schwartzman (sp)?

I think I hate them, but I feel like I shouldn't because I really loved Alec Baldwin in 30 Rock.  Please, fellow snarkers, show me the way....

• Love 2

There is a regional spot for Clear Choice Dental.  One of those implant places where the whole mouth is about 25k.  So this woman is yapping on and on about her fabulous smile and how many compliments she gets, etc.  Problem is, they are too big for her mouth and they cause a lispy kind of speech impediment. 

I always wonder why out of "hundreds of satisfied clients" they picked the one that looks like a German Nutcracker and talks like Cindy Brady?

• Love 9

Not to belabor the Panera ads discussion, but the most recent one has the hipster cyclist dressed in faux Lance Armstrong getup.  When I see that guy my left eye starts twitching because I see guys like that so often where I live--thinking they're Lance.  There's been an ongoing battle between cyclists who want bike lanes on existing, somewhat narrow streets, and people who don't.  The rhetoric is becoming more and more heated and that guy just reminds me of it.  

I do like the food but the ads are just too twee and precious for my taste but I guess they're supposed to appeal to millennials. 

• Love 3

Allright...general question to the board.  What do you all think of the Amazon Alexa commercials with Alec Baldwin/Jason Schwartzman (sp)?

I think I hate them, but I feel like I shouldn't because I really loved Alec Baldwin in 30 Rock.  Please, fellow snarkers, show me the way....

Hate them...of course, I had no idea who Schwartzman is. I just Googled him, and I can say I don't think I've seen any of the stuff he's been in, so the commercial really doesn't do anything for me.

• Love 1

Hate them...of course, I had no idea who Schwartzman is. I just Googled him, and I can say I don't think I've seen any of the stuff he's been in, so the commercial really doesn't do anything for me.

Thank you.....that makes me feel a little better.  I vaguely remember Schwartzman being in stuff, but I can't remember what.

• Love 1

His mother is Talia Shire, Francis Ford Coppola's sister.

• Love 3

Dear Hormel,

The product you are attempting to sell me is "pepperoni", not "pepperona."  There is no such thing as "pepperona."  So I can only conclude that your bastardization of one of the songs from my childhood soundtrack is meant as cruelty, pure and simple.  I am on a low carb diet for life, and we could have had a long, mutually advantageous association, but as of now I have officially stopped buying your product.

Sincerely,

Aquarius

This is kind of an old post, and I don't even know if this commercial still airs, but I HATE IT.  Like, the first time I saw it, I stopped what I was doing because it made me so mad.  It doesn't help that I hate "My Sharona" to begin with.  (I might add that I think of it whenever My Sharona comes on the radio, and my hatred inspired me to return to the boards here, which I had been avoiding for a few weeks because of the time suck.)

That Jeep ad with the kids singing the Presidents names is getting on my last nerve.

I hate the way the kids sing in that ad.  It's too creepy. 

I think he is kind of cute.  *creeps away*

I would leave my husband for Jason Schwartzman.

The "pull that peach" commercial...That one annoys me just because it doesn't make sense.  If there's a specific moment to pick a peach then should there be tons of people out in that orchard waiting for the perfect time?  Because in the time they spend waiting for that one peach's optimal time, think of the thousands of other peaches just rotting away.  Or do they only need one perfect peach?

• Love 5

Me, neither! I don't know why that fact boggles my mind, but it does. Yes, they both have brown hair (and eyes?), but she's always seemed like this delicate, petite thing and he's, well, NOT. I just googled both of their pictures, looking for similarities, but I just didn't see it.

Um, NO.  Nope nope nope. Not watching that, thanks anyway.

Smart.  Very smart.

This is kind of an old post, and I don't even know if this commercial still airs, but I HATE IT. Like, the first time I saw it, I stopped what I was doing because it made me so mad. It doesn't help that I hate "My Sharona" to begin with. (I might add that I think of it whenever My Sharona comes on the radio, and my hatred inspired me to return to the boards here, which I had been avoiding for a few weeks because of the time suck.)

Yes, it's still airing. Just saw it today and time has not softened me toward it one iota. Still HATE it.

But glad it brought you out of hiding. :-) Welcome back!

Edited by Aquarius
  • Love 2

Dear Hormel,

The product you are attempting to sell me is "pepperoni", not "pepperona."

Are you sure about that? Companies are always fooling around with how to make their food products and coming up with name variations to tip off customers that there's a difference.

• Love 2