Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

According to this video, it looks like Jinger is very open to the possibility of sending her kids to school instead of home schooling.  She even mentioned public school.

A second video here:

I hope Jinger sends her kids to school. I don't care if it's a Christian school or a public school.  Jeremy will proably still be in school when Evangeline graduates from college (because it's better than actually having to get a real job). Hopefully Jinger realizes that she doesn't have the knowledge to be able to teach her kids.  I'm not against homeschooling. I am against homeschooling if the teacher doesn't have the knowldge to teach.  I know I would NEVER be able to teach my kids anything to do with science or math in particular.  It would be nice to see a Duggar grandchild have a chance of graduating from high school and going to college.  

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Like 17

From all the comments about her book, it seems like Jinger blames Gothard for everything and her parents were great.

I understand that she may not want to admit to herself and/or to the public that how bad her parents are.

But I'm also wondering what is MacArthur's views on parenting? How much authority do they have compared to the Gothard ways?

I'm asking because Jinger's book is basically propaganda for MacArthur's church, so they might not want to make parents look bad.

Or maybe I'm not making any sense LOL!

• Like 10

Thought I was posting in this thread earlier. I said: 

From the interviews I have seen, it appears that Jinger does acknowledge fault, but she consistently blames Gothard. She seems to ignore the role her parents played in delivering the information to her. They are every bit as guilty as Gothard in terms of indoctrinating the kids.

Jinger is a people pleaser. She throws Gothard under the bus (deservedly), but just can't betray her parents. She says she had a great childhood. I guess that's in spite of the anxiety, fear, molestation, and constant indoctrination.

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 21

@ZellaI've read all of those books and saw some similarities (to a much lesser extent) to my own haphazard upbringing. I think you are exactly right about why Jinger seems to be leaving out her parent's responsibility for raising their kids Gothard style. They are just as much at fault, perhaps more so since the 19 kids are theirs! How I would love to see JB & MEchelle admit the error of their ways. But that will never happen. And she will continue to "honor her father and mother". I get it. She loves them, despite their flaws. 

• Like 9
3 hours ago, Future Cat Lady said:

From all the comments about her book, it seems like Jinger blames Gothard for everything and her parents were great.

I understand that she may not want to admit to herself and/or to the public that how bad her parents are.

But I'm also wondering what is MacArthur's views on parenting? How much authority do they have compared to the Gothard ways?

I'm asking because Jinger's book is basically propaganda for MacArthur's church, so they might not want to make parents look bad.

You’re making perfect sense and I agree.

3 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Thought I was posting in this thread earlier. I said: 

From the interviews I have seen, it appears that Jinger does acknowledge fault, but she consistently blames Gothard. She seems to ignore the role her parents played in delivering the information to her. They are every bit as guilty as Gothard in terms of indoctrinating the kids.

Jinger is a people pleaser. She throws Gothard under the bus (deservedly), but just can't betray her parents. She says she had a great childhood. I guess that's in spite of the anxiety, fear, molestation, and constant indoctrination.

And likely physical punishment.

• Like 6
6 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

@ZellaI've read all of those books and saw some similarities (to a much lesser extent) to my own haphazard upbringing. I think you are exactly right about why Jinger seems to be leaving out her parent's responsibility for raising their kids Gothard style. They are just as much at fault, perhaps more so since the 19 kids are theirs! How I would love to see JB & MEchelle admit the error of their ways. But that will never happen. And she will continue to "honor her father and mother". I get it. She loves them, despite their flaws. 

Yeah I had my own moments in college where I was telling people stories about my childhood that seemed normal to me that were met with "Um, that's not okay--that's not normal!" I'm still unpacking all that well in my thirties. I had a lot of sympathy for my friend, but that moment where she said you could do anything and it was okay profoundly disturbed me. To be honest, it still makes me sick to my stomach when I think about it. She's an intelligent, well-read person who has a much more robust intellect than I suspect poor Jinger has. 

• Like 12
  • Love 1

I see it a little differently. Jinger knows, JB&M know, and we all know Gothard did not raise her, her siblings and other IBLP kids - her/their parents did.

Jinger also is acknowledging that in spite of the way was she was raised her childhood wasn't completely awful. Those two things can be true. This family was on TV for more than a decade talking about many of the things that made Jinger anxious. We all heard about blanket training, instant obedience, purity, accountability partners, courtships, period calendars, countenance, modesty, umbrella of authority, J.O.Y., etc. But we also saw two (albeit religiously zealous) bumbling fools who appeared to love their children. I'm guessing that is the way Jinger sees it as well.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Like 11

Most of their lives were lived off camera and the kids probably had fun playing together. I think she loves most of her siblings and doesn't want to lose her relationships with them by publicly denouncing her parents. My siblings mean the world to me and I'm thankful that most of the world has no interest in us! The public eye is a tricky thing.

• Like 7

I think its kind of unfair to demand Jinger hate her parents to legitimize this big step she has taken. I also think its unfair to demand she denounce all kinds of conservative Christianity to believe she has any independent thoughts.

Jinger is condemning Gothard and IBLP, a faith she admits her parents and siblings still follow. She is calling the faith damaging and says she hopes her book gives others insight and the courage to leave.

That is pretty remarkable to me.

• Like 15
  • Applause 5
  • Useful 1

So far Jill, Amy, and Deanna have publicly supported Jinger and her book. Would any other siblings support her publicly? I don’t care how many may have contacted her privately to offer support. It takes guts to do what Jinger and Jill have done.

Jessa, I’m looking at you. Jinger is not only your bestie (allegedly) but it was Ben who helped her begin to question the status quo. It really shows the (financial?) hold JB has on his adult children. The siblings can publicly support their sister without condemning the parents. It speaks volumes that so far no one has dared. 

Edited by SMama
  • Like 11
  • Sad 2
10 minutes ago, SMama said:

So far Jill, Amy, and Deanna have publicly supported Jinger and her book. Would any other siblings support her publicly? I don’t care how many may have contact her privately to offer support. It takes guts to do what Jinger and Jill have done.

Jessa, I’m looking at you. Jinger is not only your bestie (allegedly) but it was Ben who helped her begin to question the status quo. It really shows the (financial?) hold JB has on his adult children. The siblings can publicly support their sister without condemning the parents. It speaks volumes that so far no one has dared. 

Would/should they publicly support her book if they're still following IBLP?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Would/should they publicly support her book if they're still following IBLP?

Good question. Would it require a consultation with the IBLP board on how to proceed?  They are part of a big "machine" that has given them air time. 

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Future Cat Lady said:

I get what you're saying. While I agree with the comments about the complications and messiness of dysfunctional families, Jinger's book is still primarily propaganda. Not only that, but there has to be some element of self-preservation in her (or her MacArthur assigned ghost writer's) refusal to condemn her parents. Not in the sense that there's concern over what they'd do to her, but that her audience might turn on her.

Jinger occupies a highly specific niche. Her fanbase largely consists of fans of her family as a whole--she can only go so far in her critiques without alienating them. The people who want to see her be "free" are by and large uninterested in hearing about a different fundie version of Christianity. Even if she believed that her parents are awful (and I agree with those who say she likely does not), she can't say that and continue to earn an income as a super conservative Christian influencer.

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
On 2/1/2023 at 2:57 PM, floridamom said:

Jinger didn't say in any interview that I have watched as of yet, that she has looked into being a mainstream Protestant. She went directly into Jeremy's "MacArthur" type of belief system. This tells me a lot, really, like I stated before, she went there because Jeremy directed her to do it. What would Jeremy have thought if Jinger wanted to convert to the "original Christian religion"....Catholicism? I hope one day that she wants to research and see why her husband (and his family) believe that Roman Catholics are pagans and see that it is not true. (I am a Roman Catholic.)

I recall video of Jeremy preaching about saving the heathen, evil Catholics in Texas.  What an asshole. 

• Like 19
36 minutes ago, MamaMax said:

I recall video of Jeremy preaching about saving the heathen, evil Catholics in Texas.  What an asshole. 

Yes, I remember. 

In her book she does not mention Catholicism by name, just the standard not a Christian. 

• Sad 4
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I think its kind of unfair to demand Jinger hate her parents to legitimize this big step she has taken. I also think its unfair to demand she denounce all kinds of conservative Christianity to believe she has any independent thoughts.

Jinger is condemning Gothard and IBLP, a faith she admits her parents and siblings still follow. She is calling the faith damaging and says she hopes her book gives others insight and the courage to leave.

That is pretty remarkable to me.

I see her new “faith” as just as damaging, and I haven’t seen her touch upon the predestination piece that seems to be the most important part. 

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, AstridM said:

I see her new “faith” as just as damaging, and I haven’t seen her touch upon the predestination piece that seems to be the most important part. 

She seems to be going along the lines of "understanding what the Bible actually says" rather than what Gothard says. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, AstridM said:

So I guess I'm curious what you're looking for. For Jinger to damn her parents or pick a fight with JB? For Jinger to give up conservative Christianity?

Jill seemed to get all kinds of accolades for going after money, yet she pretty much follows IBLP, give or take a few things and the Dillards certainly are conservative Christians.

I guess I just don't see how this book is not a good thing, even if it looks like a baby step to some.

• Like 6
16 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

She seems to be going along the lines of "understanding what the Bible actually says" rather than what Gothard says. 

She seems to be going by what MacArthur says, imo. Ghostwritten book and she seems to have been coached to parrot talking points in her interviews. 

10 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

So I guess I'm curious what you're looking for. For Jinger to damn her parents or pick a fight with JB? For Jinger to give up conservative Christianity?

Jill seemed to get all kinds of accolades for going after money, yet she pretty much follows IBLP, give or take a few things and the Dillards certainly are conservative Christians.

I guess I just don't see how this book is not a good thing, even if it looks like a baby step to some.

I’m not expecting her to do anything more than what she’s doing. She’s very limited and clearly (to me) just trying to sell books because her headship refuses to work to support their family. And as others have said, she’s trying desperately not to alienate Duggar fans because she would still be nothing without the old leghumpers. I see her as someone who simply switched from one exploitative MLM to another. YMMV 🤷‍♀️.

• Like 19
28 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Jill seemed to get all kinds of accolades for going after money, yet she pretty much follows IBLP

Jill follows IBLP?  Could you give some evidence of this?  Public school, nose rings, birth control, drinking in moderation, etc. aren't consistent with IBLP.  And didn't Jill get a tatoo?  

Getting back to Jinger, has Jessa liked one or two of Jinger's social media posts?  I think I read that somewhere.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Like 7

What’s funny is that Jinger talks about meeting (?) Germy at Big Sandy, and says he did not attend to hang out with her, but to spend time with Bin and Jessa. He chose to attend cult camp at Big Sandy for fun? Sure, Jan. 

• Like 13
  • LOL 2
41 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Jill follows IBLP?  Could you give some evidence of this?  Public school, nose rings, birth control, drinking in moderation, etc. aren't consistent with IBLP.  And didn't Jill get a tatoo?  

Getting back to Jinger, has Jessa liked one or two of Jinger's social media posts?  I think I read that somewhere.

Yes, I can give examples. Jill has done more than one IG reel about instant obedience with the older boys. During a Q & A they did, long after the JB feud, they discussed using the same courting guidelines if their kids were under 21 and would encourage the same guidelines if they were over 21 but think holding hands while dating when over the age of 21 would be okay. They also said they appreciate the way Jill was raised and will use many of the same parenting 'skills'. 

As far as I know, no Duggar, including Jill has ever been tattooed. Jill does occasionally write Bible verses on her hand. Someone likely called it a tattoo then it was taken at fact.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
7 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Yes, I can give examples. Jill has done more than one IG reel about instant obedience with the older boys. During a Q & A they did, long after the JB feud, they discussed using the same courting guidelines if their kids were under 21 and would encourage the same guidelines if they were over 21 but think holding hands while dating when over the age of 21 would be okay. They also said they appreciate the way Jill was raised and will use many of the same parenting 'skills'. 

As far as I know, no Duggar, including Jill has ever been tattooed. Jill does occasionally write Bible verses on her hand. Someone likely called it a tattoo then it was taken at fact.

Jinger and Germy have advocated for strict punishments for kids, too. I need to look to remember exactly when. 

1 minute ago, AstridM said:

Jinger and Germy have advocated for strict punishments for kids, too. I need to look to remember exactly when. 

That's interesting, I've never really heard them say anything on child rearing.

Anyway, I fully understand Jinger has not left behind her hateful Christian beliefs. I think I've said that repeatedly. I certainly don't hold them in high esteem in regard to their faith. But I'm guessing she will try not to cause her children the same stress her parent caused her. I haven't heard that from any other Duggar.

I just think this book is a good thing. YMMV

• Like 6

For those like me who don’t have the patience to read Jinger’s ghostwritten drivel, a Reddit poster has done the lord’s work and summarized it. 

Chapters 1-5

https://www.reddit.com/r/DuggarsSnark/comments/10rc06s/becoming_free_indeed_i_read_jingers_book_so_you/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Part 2 -  Chapters 6-end

https://www.reddit.com/r/DuggarsSnark/comments/10s72wh/becoming_free_indeed_i_read_jingers_book_so_you/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Edited by AstridM
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Useful 5
7 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

Jen at Fundie Fridays takes on the book tour.

I must have listened to her before because I realized I was already subscribed to Jen's channel. It's a one hour video(!), but it was a good take on this. One of the first things Jen mentioned was the peculiar way that Jinger says Jesus - JEE-ZUS. I've heard it and noticed that so much in the many Jinger interviews I've listened to in the past few days! 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

What’s funny is that Jinger talks about meeting (?) Germy at Big Sandy, and says he did not attend to hang out with her, but to spend time with Bin and Jessa. He chose to attend cult camp at Big Sandy for fun? Sure, Jan. 

I'll probably go to hell for this, but I would totally go just to stare in fascination. No way would I turn that opportunity down.

Jinger says Jeremy encourages her to think for herself, but didn't he once praise her "meekness" as one of her best traits? I totally remember a social media post about how great it was that Jinger was so meek and compliant.

I can't shake the feeling that Jinger traded Jim Bob for Jeremy, and still isn't thinking for herself.

• Like 17
1 hour ago, BetyBee said:

I must have listened to her before because I realized I was already subscribed to Jen's channel. It's a one hour video(!), but it was a good take on this. One of the first things Jen mentioned was the peculiar way that Jinger says Jesus - JEE-ZUS. I've heard it and noticed that so much in the many Jinger interviews I've listened to in the past few days! 

JeSauce!

1 hour ago, Kellyee said:

I'll probably go to hell for this, but I would totally go just to stare in fascination. No way would I turn that opportunity down.

Jinger says Jeremy encourages her to think for herself, but didn't he once praise her "meekness" as one of her best traits? I totally remember a social media post about how great it was that Jinger was so meek and compliant.

I can't shake the feeling that Jinger traded Jim Bob for Jeremy, and still isn't thinking for herself.

Meek and willing to sacrifice. . .😳😢

• Sad 1
  • LOL 3
2 hours ago, Kellyee said:

He also rather famously berated her opinions as wrong in a game of Would You Rather. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 7

I can understand why Jinger is blaming the Gothard movement more than her parents....I don't 100 % agree..but I get why.

She talks of the guilt and brainwashing she felt anytime she did something even slightly against the teachings...and I'm sure she figures both her parents got taken in by the teachings as well.

From what I can understand, the parents were Christian's in the mid 80s..but not to this level.  In fact, Michelle seemed like she was pretty fun as a teen.

I think for the parents, didn't they resume birth control and other protection after Josh was born..and then became pregnant/miscarried?  Both were so distraught that they wondered if those methods was a punishment of God.  And they were lulled into that line of thinking hardcore because of the teachings of Gothard?

I'm not defending the parents..but I can understand how both were in a vulnerable place because of the miscarriage so they latched onto anything that provided them with an answer...a misguided one..but an answer in their mind.

So I do think in some way Jinger might understand this..and is hoping maybe they will decide for themselves that the Gothard teachings actually did more harm than good.

Or I might be off base.

• Like 9
  • Useful 1

JB will NEVER admit he was wrong. In fact, it seems like they've doubled down with the girls still at home. I doubt there will be another Jeremy in their midst. 

With the boys, it's easier to stay in the fold when Daddy finances you. All the married sons are safely building their own umbrellas of authority in their households, and the unmarried ones work in jobs that JB has bought for them. Justin works for his Gothard following FIL, so he's safely in the cult. 

• Like 9
1 hour ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

I can understand why Jinger is blaming the Gothard movement more than her parents....I don't 100 % agree..but I get why.

She talks of the guilt and brainwashing she felt anytime she did something even slightly against the teachings...and I'm sure she figures both her parents got taken in by the teachings as well.

From what I can understand, the parents were Christian's in the mid 80s..but not to this level.  In fact, Michelle seemed like she was pretty fun as a teen.

I think for the parents, didn't they resume birth control and other protection after Josh was born..and then became pregnant/miscarried?  Both were so distraught that they wondered if those methods was a punishment of God.  And they were lulled into that line of thinking hardcore because of the teachings of Gothard?

I'm not defending the parents..but I can understand how both were in a vulnerable place because of the miscarriage so they latched onto anything that provided them with an answer...a misguided one..but an answer in their mind.

So I do think in some way Jinger might understand this..and is hoping maybe they will decide for themselves that the Gothard teachings actually did more harm than good.

Or I might be off base.

According to WOACB (not sure where she got this from) Boob was involved with IBLP since 1976. Mary was instrumental in introducing that to the family. Then Boob got Michelle involved when they got together. It doesn't sound like they were really deep into it until the 1990s though.

• Useful 7

It's not just Jinger. I never stop hoping all of the Duggar kids (except FF) do realize what their parents' did to them. They did so much wrong to their kids. They isolated them from the rest of the world, made them follow Gothard's insane rules about clothes, hair, and crap. They purposely undereducated their kids and controlled them. They forced their four oldest daughters to do everything including raise their siblings. They did nothing to protect their daughters while their son made molested four of them. They barely punished him and covered it up and went onto hold him up as what a good Christian. They exploited them on TV. It know love is complicated especially with abusive parents. Maybe it's not fair. But it's hard that none of them see what their parents' did to them. It's hard to hear Jinger blame Gothard instead of her parents'. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Like 9
  • Applause 9
9 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

It know love is complicated especially with abusive parents.

This is where I am. I don't begrudge Jinger or any of the Duggar kids from loving their parents or even being on good terms with them if that's what they want. But I think not being able to identify them as having any culpability for the way the Duggars were raised is a sign that she's still living in a world of denial about her childhood, despite being able to identify some of what was wrong with it. 

• Like 21
49 minutes ago, Zella said:

This is where I am. I don't begrudge Jinger or any of the Duggar kids from loving their parents or even being on good terms with them if that's what they want. But I think not being able to identify them as having any culpability for the way the Duggars were raised is a sign that she's still living in a world of denial about her childhood, despite being able to identify some of what was wrong with it. 

I agree, but I believe Jinger is fully aware her parents are responsible for the way she was raised. Maybe she gives them a partial pass for being young and vulnerable when it all started but she realizes they're choosing to continue to raise her siblings the same way she was raised - in a damaging, cultish and anxiety provoking way.

IMO, Jinger knows the readers are going to blame her parents, just as she does, but she chooses not to say it aloud.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
10 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

IMO, Jinger knows the readers are going to blame her parents, just as she does, but she chooses not to say it aloud.

That's entirely possible, but I also find it pretty disingenuous of her if that's what she's doing. Kind of like the theory that Jeremy doesn't subscribe to the MacArthur belief system but adopts it because it suits him. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 6
  • Applause 3
Just now, Zella said:

That's entirely possible, but I also find it pretty disingenuous of her if that's what she's doing. 

I can see that for sure. My take is she wanted to hurt her parents as little as possible, but still get her point across. I'm not saying its the best way to tell her story, but whether the blame is implicit or explicit its still there.

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

My take is she wanted to hurt her parents as little as possible, but still get her point across. I'm not saying its the best way to tell her story, but whether the blame is implicit or explicit its still there.

Yes that's certainly possible.

I personally don't think you can write a memoir about dysfunctional childhoods without hurting people's feelings, no matter how sensitive or evasive you try to be about it. 

• Like 13