Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, SMama said:

I agree that it isn’t fair, but it will be a fact of life for the remaining 18 for the rest of their lives.

Yep and I think that's the main reason they were dumped by TLC. They could read the writing on the wall and realized this would be written about and mentioned every time the Duggars came up. It's not fair--especially to the victims--but it's a side effect of their parents shilling them as the ideal family and as a cohesive unit.  

• Like 14

I love Tamron. She’s a real journalist and she asks good questions while maintaining a level of sensitivity with her subjects especially those who are victims of abuse. Her sister was a domestic violence victim who was murdered by her abuser. She did a good job with Jinger. I could’ve done without Jermy. That’s the best I’ve seen Jinger look too. I wonder if Tam’s hair and makeup team hooked her up.

Edited by charmed1
  • Like 9
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, Ljohnson1987 said:

I doubt Jinger  goes into detail about Josh in her book. She traded one cult for another. She's far from 'Becoming Free' 

Agree 💯. She basically exchanged one MLM for another. Not interested in reading her ghostwritten book. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 1
On 1/30/2023 at 3:19 PM, GeeGolly said:

Probably for the same reason some viewers thought the Duggars were quaint. It was being sold as an easier, simpler, safer way to follow one's faith and raise God fearing kids. 

And... some obstetricians are men, men design woman's clothing, not all pediatricians have kids, Priests aren't married or have kids...

Some obstetricians are women who've never been pregnant.  Like me.

Also, Jesus was a single guy with no kids.

• Like 18

I'm curious as to why it's A'ok to refer to Christianity as a cult, but if someone was to say ohhh being LGBTQ is cultish (I am NOT saying that), there would be a huge uproar. It would be really great if Christians could feel that their religion wasn't constantly being attacked on this forum.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
5 minutes ago, Tasya said:

I'm curious as to why it's A'ok to refer to Christianity as a cult, but if someone was to say ohhh being LGBTQ is cultish (I am NOT saying that), there would be a huge uproar. It would be really great if Christians could feel that their religion wasn't constantly being attacked on this forum.

Gothardism is absolutely a cult.

• Like 2
  • Applause 5
20 minutes ago, Tasya said:

I'm a Christian, and I do not feel that religion is being attacked on this forum.  I feel people are able to express different opinions in a respectful manner.  It's true we don't respect Gothardism as we dislike what this religion has done to the children in the group.  I wouldn't say it's quite a cult such as Scientology, FLDS, or people such as Jim Jones, as people can leave it, and they're not completely separate from family members in it.  However, it is cultish.  We also aren't fond of patriarchal religions such as Gothardism and James MacArthur's Church.  Many of us have spoken positively of our religions whether Catholic, Jewish, or Lutheran (my own), etc.

ETA:  I also like to give credit to those who are agnostic or atheist posting here who are also respectful unlike in some arenas.

Edited by sagittarius sue
  • Like 9
  • Love 3

I would really hope Jinger's family has enough sense to realize that if they disown Jinger and continue to support her brother/abuser then any kind of fame, from instagram shilling for Joy and Jessa to JB's super creepy christian theatre in Branson will be done. They'll loose any semi moderates that are still clinging on, although I'm sure they can still count on the prayers of Jill R and other nutty barnacles. 

There's also the weddings that still have to be arranged. We're almost positive that Anna, Derrik, Ben, Jeremy, Lauren, Kendra, Claire and Katey all married in (or were strongly encouraged by their families to do so) to ride the Duggar fame train (this could also apply to Abbie, Austin and Hannah, but I don't feel like it's as clear for them). If Boob and Meech disown Jinger in a public way, marrying into the Duggar clan isn't going to be a popular social move for for the remaining howlers and the lost girls. 

• Like 12
58 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

I would really hope Jinger's family has enough sense to realize that if they disown Jinger and continue to support her brother/abuser then any kind of fame, from instagram shilling for Joy and Jessa to JB's super creepy christian theatre in Branson will be done.

I'm really okay with them losing all of that, though!

It would be terrible for Jinger, and truthfully, I don't wish that shunning on her. I think it would really hurt her. 

But Duggars detonating their prospects because they're dumbasses is not actually a bad thing, IMO. 

• Like 17
7 hours ago, Zella said:

But Duggars detonating their prospects because they're dumbasses is not actually a bad thing, IMO. 

Or unheard of.  

But I don't see them shunning Jinger.  Jill is one thing because she went after JBs money.   Even though it was HERS.   Jinger is just following the family line of making money by exploiting herself.   JB will forgive a LOT if it makes money.

• Like 15
  • Useful 1

Like an earlier post on this blog stated: Jim Bob will not shun Jinger. He only shunned Jill because she and Derick asked him for Jill's share of the money. To my knowledge, Jinger hasn't asked Jim Bob for her share of the money. That man is motivated by the bucks $$$. I don't believe that Jinger is really free; she has exchanged Gothard's teachings for MacArthur's...and only MacArthurs because it is her husband's belief. MacArthur has bankrolled them too; if only offering them that house to live in for free "only for 6 months" while a seminary student...How many years did they exploit that offer? I don't wish Jinger any harm, but I don't think her book really answers any real questions. Some of her responses were vague IMO. I certainly did NOT need Jeremy sticking himself in this interview. This should have been Jinger's alone.

• Like 18
  • Applause 2
10 hours ago, satrunrose said:

If Boob and Meech disown Jinger in a public way, marrying into the Duggar clan isn't going to be a popular social move for for the remaining howlers and the lost girls. 

I'm not sure that would do much, if any, more damage to the Duggar kids' marriage prospects within fundieland, than has already been done by Josh. If I were a fundie father, I'd probably be all in with JB's religious beliefs, no matter that the Duggar Crown Prince is in prison. JB said back during Joshgate I that they know many families that had experienced "the same thing," and we've seen that Joshgate I didn't stop plenty of okay marriages for the Duggarlings. I think a fundie father is going to look at the Duggar finances. So far they aren't jammed into a double-wide and JB's businesses appear to be rolling along. IMO religious issues and finances will be more important to a fundie dad looking at a Duggarling as a prospective spouse for their kid, than whatever JB and Meech do (or don't) in reaction to Jinger's book. 

9 hours ago, Zella said:

It would be terrible for Jinger, and truthfully, I don't wish that shunning on her. I think it would really hurt her. 

Well said.

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Or unheard of.  

But I don't see them shunning Jinger.  Jill is one thing because she went after JBs money.   Even though it was HERS.   Jinger is just following the family line of making money by exploiting herself.   JB will forgive a LOT if it makes money.

And, ^^THIS. Jill and Derick hit JB where it hurts the most: money. JB did somewhat shun Jill (banning her from the TTH without his advance approval) although she wasn't ousted from the family. I'm sure JB wishes that if Jinger wasn't going to cling to IBLP, she'd do it quietly. But this is not about JB's money. I don't see the cause of defending Bill Gothard as a hill JB is prepared to die on, even though JB and Meech were utter Gothard believers when it came to raising and educating (to use the term loosely) their kids. I"m sure JB really gloried in his time in the IBLP limelight, when he and Meech were the big stars of the IBLP family conferences. But those days seem to be gone anyway. 

I wonder what sly things Jessa's going to put on her social media in reaction to Jinger's so far well-presented and extensive book promotion campaign. Heh.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 9
38 minutes ago, charmed1 said:

Jinger revealing that she hasn’t spoken to Josh in years has me curious about how many of the other 19 are estranged from each other or if they’re all just estranged from Josh. 

I'm going to guess Jinger's location had more to do with this than anything, until the last scandal. I think she likely has a holidaysweddings and funerals type of relationship with most of her siblings.

On another note, apparently Jinger addresses doubters in the book. In an interview I read she says she knows many will think she is just following Jeremy now. I do believe that is at least partially true, but I also think Jinger was somewhat open to finding a better way prior to Jeremy.

And anyway, if Jinger was able to "walk through this season of life" now, she'll be more able to move on at a later time if she so chooses.

• Like 8
  • Useful 4

How long ago was it when Josh and family showed up in an RV to visit Jer & Jinger in LA? Or am I remembering wrong?

Edited by BetyBee
Stupid space bar is sticking!
  • Like 7
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I'm not sure that would do much, if any, more damage to the Duggar kids' marriage prospects within fundieland, than has already been done by Josh. If I were a fundie father, I'd probably be all in with JB's religious beliefs, no matter that the Duggar Crown Prince is in prison. JB said back during Joshgate I that they know many families that had experienced "the same thing," and we've seen that Joshgate I didn't stop plenty of okay marriages for the Duggarlings. I think a fundie father is going to look at the Duggar finances. So far they aren't jammed into a double-wide and JB's businesses appear to be rolling along. IMO religious issues and finances will be more important to a fundie dad looking at a Duggarling as a prospective spouse for their kid, than whatever JB and Meech do (or don't) in reaction to Jinger's book. 

Well said.

And, ^^THIS. Jill and Derick hit JB where it hurts the most: money. JB did somewhat shun Jill (banning her from the TTH without his advance approval) although she wasn't ousted from the family. I'm sure JB wishes that if Jinger wasn't going to cling to IBLP, she'd do it quietly. But this is not about JB's money. I don't see the cause of defending Bill Gothard as a hill JB is prepared to die on, even though JB and Meech were utter Gothard believers when it came to raising and educating (to use the term loosely) their kids. I"m sure JB really gloried in his time in the IBLP limelight, when he and Meech were the big stars of the IBLP family conferences. But those days seem to be gone anyway. 

I wonder what sly things Jessa's going to put on her social media in reaction to Jinger's so far well-presented and extensive book promotion campaign. Heh.

Re bolding: How long has it been since Jinger was at the TTH? I know different members of the family have visited her in CA, but when did she last visit the big house and see her Dad?

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

How long ago was it when Josh and family showed up in an RV to visit Jer & Jinger in LA? Or am I remembering wrong?

I was wondering the same thing. Quick google result is pulling up fall 2019. Actually right before the raid if my dates are right. I can't remember if Jinger has been back to AR for any family weddings that would coincide with him still being out of jail. Though of course she could still attend and not speak to him. 

• Like 1
Just now, GeeGolly said:

Justin and Jed weddings were in the first half of 2021, with Jed's in April. I believe Josh's house arrest began, possibly in May.

Yeah that sounds right. He got arrested in late April 2021. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Or unheard of.  

I agree. As ego-driven as he is, he's proven to be ruthlessly practical when it comes to money.

I also think that Jinger following her headship is a huge factor for JB. Even if he hates everything Jinger-via-Jeremy believes now, he can't quibble with her following her husband. If one of his sons had written this book, I think there's be a completely different reaction from him.

1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

On another note, apparently Jinger addresses doubters in the book. In an interview I read she says she knows many will think she is just following Jeremy now.

Damn, that ghostwriter is good. Really researched how best to hit critics at the knees. Unlike IBLP, MacArthur clearly likes hiring smart people to work for his organization. Terrible for the world, but great for his hopes of longevity.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, floridamom said:

Like an earlier post on this blog stated: Jim Bob will not shun Jinger. He only shunned Jill because she and Derick asked him for Jill's share of the money. To my knowledge, Jinger hasn't asked Jim Bob for her share of the money. That man is motivated by the bucks $$$. I don't believe that Jinger is really free; she has exchanged Gothard's teachings for MacArthur's...and only MacArthurs because it is her husband's belief. MacArthur has bankrolled them too; if only offering them that house to live in for free "only for 6 months" while a seminary student...How many years did they exploit that offer? I don't wish Jinger any harm, but I don't think her book really answers any real questions. Some of her responses were vague IMO. I certainly did NOT need Jeremy sticking himself in this interview. This should have been Jinger's alone.

I think Jinger has been paid. They put down about $100k on their $200k house in Laredo. Obviously Jeremy didn't have that kind of money, since be was living in a small 2BR apartment when he met and married Jinger. That money had to come from somewhere. Jeremy made little in his soccer "career" as a backup goalie with only one year playing (well, on the bench) in a  "big time" league.

• Like 7
  • Useful 4

There's a difference between JB giving them the downpayment on a house (or maybe a loan at a sweetheart interest rate) like he gave other kids houses, and Jill and Derrick DEMANDING money.   JB uses the money to control the kids.   He doles it out when, for what and for how much he wants.   With probably a side of "I can cut you off from the money spigot any time I want."   Again versus Jill and Derrick demands for HER SHARE of what SHE earned through being on the show as an adult.   Jill got the money free and clear, no strings attached.   JB will never let Jinger forget he gave her the money for the downpayment.

• Like 9
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I think Jinger has been paid. They put down about $100k on their $200k house in Laredo. Obviously Jeremy didn't have that kind of money, since be was living in a small 2BR apartment when he met and married Jinger. That money had to come from somewhere. Jeremy made little in his soccer "career" as a backup goalie with only one year playing (well, on the bench) in a  "big time" league.

I agree. After Derick went after Jill's back pay I think JB woke up and gave each adult kid a 'pay out' to avoid any future problems.

I think most of the son's used it to start businesses and the daughters used it toward houses and of course Derick's education.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2

Jinger didn't say in any interview that I have watched as of yet, that she has looked into being a mainstream Protestant. She went directly into Jeremy's "MacArthur" type of belief system. This tells me a lot, really, like I stated before, she went there because Jeremy directed her to do it. What would Jeremy have thought if Jinger wanted to convert to the "original Christian religion"....Catholicism? I hope one day that she wants to research and see why her husband (and his family) believe that Roman Catholics are pagans and see that it is not true. (I am a Roman Catholic.)

• Like 15

It makes sense to me Jinger slid into her husband's faith, as did most, if not all the married Duggar sisters. What is different though, is she is fully embracing it while noticing and giving up the differences from her childhood.

Jessa lives with Ben, the one who kind of woke Jinger up, yet Jessa is still doing it the Duggar way.

I would be less surprised if Jinger quit religion all together than picking a Christian church different from Jeremy. (although I would be shocked if Jinger quit religion all together)

• Like 6
18 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

I'm a Christian, and I do not feel that religion is being attacked on this forum.  I feel people are able to express different opinions in a respectful manner.  It's true we don't respect Gothardism as we dislike what this religion has done to the children in the group.  I wouldn't say it's quite a cult such as Scientology, FLDS, or people such as Jim Jones, as people can leave it, and they're not completely separate from family members in it.  However, it is cultish.  We also aren't fond of patriarchal religions such as Gothardism and James MacArthur's Church.  Many of us have spoken positively of our religions whether Catholic, Jewish, or Lutheran (my own), etc.

ETA:  I also like to give credit to those who are agnostic or atheist posting here who are also respectful unlike in some arenas.

Gothardism is definitely a cult, however many posters here love to say that "Jinger traded one cult for another". As if her going from following Gothard to practicing another form of Christianity is also cult-like. Thus the feel as if basically posters are holding that any tenet of Christianity is a cult, because it espouses beliefs that some may not agree with it. 

As to saying that the statement re: homosexuality/cult I made a point to say that I do not feel that way myself. In fact I do not believe that homosexuality is a sin, and also in fact, it may surprise many that there are plenty of Christians and churches that embrace homosexuals and preach acceptance and tolerance for all. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 1
19 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

Many of us have spoken positively of our religions whether Catholic, Jewish, or Lutheran (my own), etc.

And this always amazes me.  Catholicism is patriarchal, formed around a charismatic leader, doesn't allow women to preach, rejects LGBT rights, allows almost zero reproductive freedom to women, marriage is forever in the eyes of the church, wives are to submit to their husbands and has unmarried men telling families how to live their lives, or be sent to hell.  

Sounds pretty damn Gothard-like to me.  But then, Gothard only has 7 commandments where the Catholics have 10. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, AstridM said:

Not interested in reading her ghostwritten book. 

Ok I'm glad you said this. I was beginning to think I was the only one not at all interested in her book.  I also have no interest watching any of her videos/interviews/etc. 

I'll read these boards til the end of days, though.  ;)

• Like 16

Her book according to Amazon right now: 

Product details

ASIN ‏ : ‎ B0BGDMFYX7

Publisher ‏ : ‎ Thomas Nelson (January 31, 2023)

Publication date ‏ : ‎ January 31, 2023

Language ‏ : ‎ English

File size ‏ : ‎ 1148 KB

Simultaneous device usage ‏ : ‎ Up to 5 simultaneous devices, per publisher limits

Text-to-Speech ‏ : ‎ Enabled

Screen Reader ‏ : ‎ Supported

Enhanced typesetting ‏ : ‎ Enabled

X-Ray ‏ : ‎ Enabled

Word Wise ‏ : ‎ Enabled

Sticky notes ‏ : ‎ On Kindle Scribe

Print length ‏ : ‎ 238 pages

Page numbers source ISBN ‏ : ‎ 1400338115

Best Sellers Rank: #17 in Kindle Store (See Top 100 in Kindle Store)

#1 in TV Shows

#1 in Arts & Photography (Kindle Store)

#1 in Religion & Spirituality (Kindle Store)

• LOL 1
23 minutes ago, leighdear said:

And this always amazes me.  Catholicism is patriarchal, formed around a charismatic leader, doesn't allow women to preach, rejects LGBT rights, allows almost zero reproductive freedom to women, marriage is forever in the eyes of the church, wives are to submit to their husbands and has unmarried men telling families how to live their lives, or be sent to hell.   Sounds pretty damn Gothard-like to me. 

I was a Catholic in my younger years.  Much of your description above doesn't coincide with what I experienced or was taught.

#1 in TV Shows

#1 in Arts & Photography (Kindle Store)

#1 in Religion & Spirituality (Kindle Store)

Wow, not too bad, Jinger.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Jessa must be seething with envy at all the press coverage Jinger is getting.

I have a feeling Derick is too.  Didn't he say he was writing a book?

• Like 7
  • LOL 2
4 minutes ago, Abmis said:

I have a feeling Derick is too.  Didn't he say he was writing a book?

It's been a while since he threatened that, but yes he's claimed it in the past. 

• Useful 1
27 minutes ago, SMama said:

His current job may make him reconsider a tell all. 

I also noticed he tended to make those claims when he was on school breaks in law school. So, I've often wondered if they were relatively idle threats primarily made when he was bored and brooding.

• Like 9

According to this video, it looks like Jinger is very open to the possibility of sending her kids to school instead of home schooling.  She even mentioned public school.

A second video here:

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Useful 4