Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

I don't think she's writing for people looking for a way out. Her whole shtick now is about interpreting the Bible correctly. I think her target audience believes they are doing that already and will see this as a cautionary tale about what other people do wrong. 

• Like 14
11 minutes ago, Zella said:

I don't think she's writing for people looking for a way out. Her whole shtick now is about interpreting the Bible correctly. I think her target audience believes they are doing that already and will see this as a cautionary tale about what other people do wrong. 

I agree, this will allow MacArthur's followers to get confirmation that they believe in the right Jesus.  They may also try to use it as a recruiting tool to get younger members.  There are enough people out there who remember the show and never really delved too deeply into Duggardom who might read the book and decide Jinger has maybe found her way.

• Like 6
13 hours ago, Totally said:

I side eye Jinger’s claim of crippling fear, I mean I suppose she could have been putting on a front for the cameras, but Jinger has never come across as anxious 

I think I remember her doing a stint in a coffee shop for the show and she seem to cope a lot better than Jessa 

Maybe the ghost writer has taken some leeway to make the book more buyable 🤔

In her book, she's made it absolutely clear that her performance on the show was exactly that.  An act.  Because her parents and their beliefs required it. So she obeyed.

And for the whole 4-7 minutes any of them ever got in an entire episode, how can anybody watching tell? 

Of course the editors are NEVER going to show the fear, the fights, the exasperation, the tantrums and the frustrations they HAD to have occasionally.  That stuff NEVER made it to the screen.  Because that was not the story they wanted to tell. 

• Like 16
  • Useful 2

On Jinger’s IG she goes over the Gothard rules to be on the right side of god and the one that jumped at me was homeschooling. Jeremy was homeschooled until at least high school, but not sure how long. Have they decided to enroll their kids in public or private school? I don’t consider GCC’s upcoming “school” a real school. It would be interesting if they expanded on their educational plans for their children. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SnapHappy said:

In her book, she's made it absolutely clear that her performance on the show was exactly that.  An act.  Because her parents and their beliefs required it. So she obeyed.

And for the whole 4-7 minutes any of them ever got in an entire episode, how can anybody watching tell? 

Of course the editors are NEVER going to show the fear, the fights, the exasperation, the tantrums and the frustrations they HAD to have occasionally.  That stuff NEVER made it to the screen.  Because that was not the story they wanted to tell. 

And I assume her online persona is exactly the same - an act. Because her headship requires it. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 12
  • Sad 2

I don't doubt Jinger lived in fear but I don't think it was pervasive thinking. I'm sure she was fine most of the time, but the anxiety likely compounded as she was learning to be independent after she married. I'm guessing she still lives in fear because really that is what many religions teach. She's just found a degree of fear that is more comfortable to her.

Is Jing back with the orange foundation? Joy too. Both their faces look a completely different color than their hands.

• Like 8
18 hours ago, Totally said:

I side eye Jinger’s claim of crippling fear, I mean I suppose she could have been putting on a front for the cameras, but Jinger has never come across as anxious 

I think I remember her doing a stint in a coffee shop for the show and she seem to cope a lot better than Jessa 

Maybe the ghost writer has taken some leeway to make the book more buyable 🤔

Not everyone who is anxious will outwardly show it. People mask.

• Like 11
  • Applause 6

sadly, lots of backyards in the particular area they are in look similar to theirs. it is water restricted and very dry. and it the 'high desert' sort of area so extreme temps too. right now, freezing temps over night and sunny days. its hard to have grass in cali. and they bought a used house so the yard was probably not well cared for to begin with. give them a chance when we are not in such a drought -  they could so some amazing things with the yard later. 

• Like 11
2 hours ago, Stevie Nicks said:

And the yard behind them looks dreadful. 

When they bought the house the "landscaping" was gravel with some paved areas and pots.  With all the rain, weeds have sprouted.  Someone needs to remove said weeds or they will have dead weeds shedding seeds.

I have never heard of an area that close to LA referred to as high desert.  It's standard inland southern California (dry Mediterranean).  

• Like 3
  • Useful 4
3 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

All their landscaping budget went into the pizza oven. 🙄

Huge drought here.  The landscaping of many look like shit. Unless you have an Oprah budget.  Montecito here is full of green lawns.  Everywhere else looks pretty bad unless they have fake grass.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
7 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

Huge drought here.  The landscaping of many look like shit. Unless you have an Oprah budget.  Montecito here is full of green lawns.  Everywhere else looks pretty bad unless they have fake grass.

I live in California, so I am well aware of the severe drought. I was just snarking on their priorities. 😀

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

When they bought the house the "landscaping" was gravel with some paved areas and pots.  With all the rain, weeds have sprouted.  Someone needs to remove said weeds or they will have dead weeds shedding seeds.

I remember that. That's why I was saying it looks awful. They're too lazy to pull the weeds, and it makes the yard look awful. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Natalie68 said:

I hope those who keep their green lawns during a major drought are fined exorbitantly. Selfish aholes. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 6

We had a bad drought here back in the 90s.  I removed a lot of plants that required more water as they died and either planted drought resistant or just mulched.  One of my neighbors complained (she complained about everything) and I told her that I would rather not have a fancy yard if it meant there was not enough water to drink or put out a fire with.  

As far as Jinger's anxiety, I do believe it.  I have read several survivor blogs where people grew up terrified of losing their salvation and going to hell.  It's very common in these fundie para church groups like IBLP and Vision Forum.

• Like 14
  • Sad 2
On 2/10/2023 at 12:17 AM, Salacious Kitty said:

That is extremely disturbing. Misogynistic and not biblical. Infidelity is a specific reason for divorce. Jesus didn’t go on and on about needing to provide incontrovertible evidence of it to warrant divorce, either.

Nor could I see a man who spoke out specifically against harming children giving the thumbs up to these people, who thought it would be just dandy to move an abuser back into the home of his victims.

• Sad 15
On 2/15/2023 at 12:45 PM, Zella said:Still, though, what exactly did he expect when he married some sheltered girl from a fundie family? He and Derick both had more exposure to the real world and secular life than the other inlaws, and I've always found it creepy that they sought out partners who were so immature and sheltered rather than the more educated and independent women they were undoubtedly exposed to. It almost seems predatory to me. Is this a case of being careful what you wish for? I wanted a meek, compliant wife but not that meek and compliant. 

Oh, he knew exact what he was marrying and that’s why he wanted her. I guess he realized that wasn’t what he wanted. Obviously she complied with his request  because she didn’t want him to leave her. 

• Like 5

What I find curious is that in all of the years and years that the Duggar children have read the bible, over and over again, no one ever noticed the conflict with Gothard's "teachings" and the actual bible text? I shake my head at this. I would think the Duggar parents, with their "superior knowledge" in their bible, would also have noticed the conflict here. Instead, if they did, they did nothing and continued with these unnecessarily severe rules.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, floridamom said:

What I find curious is that in all of the years and years that the Duggar children have read the bible, over and over again, no one ever noticed the conflict with Gothard's "teachings" and the actual bible text? I shake my head at this. I would think the Duggar parents, with their "superior knowledge" in their bible, would also have noticed the conflict here. Instead, if they did, they did nothing and continued with these unnecessarily severe rules.

I have the same question. With all of the time they’ve claimed to spend reading the Bible, not one of them noticed the conflicts?

• Like 8
37 minutes ago, AstridM said:

I have the same question. With all of the time they’ve claimed to spend reading the Bible, not one of them noticed the conflicts?

I think they read only carefully selected sections of the Bible approved by Gothard.  They sure missed the part where Jesus talked about loving their neighbor and not judging.

• Like 14
  • Useful 1

Yeah, I think they just accept that whatever Got Hard says is true. He's their cult leader, after all, not to be questioned. I doubt any of them has ever actually read the Bible, certainly not critically. They don't think critically, and they don't read critically. 

Jing extolling the virtues of one cult over another is just one more example of a lack of critical thinking. 

• Like 4
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, AstridM said:

Gothard's teachings worked best on newer Christians who weren't as familiar with the Bible.  He would quote passages all over the place and people would come out of his seminars with their Bible full of sticky notes marking out all the stuff he had referenced.  It was like a magician's slight of hand so that people were so dazzled that they thought everything he came up with was in the Bible somewhere.  Couple that with being told that questioning would lead you straight to hell and you have the end result we are seeing.  The problem with Jinger now is that she is still parroting someone else's interpretation rather than her own.

• Like 11

Those shoes are ugly no matter if they fit or not.  And fanny packs need to stay in the past.  They were a great idea for traveling hands-free, but they looked awful and made it easy for someone to rip you off.  

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

While y'all are looking at Jinger's feet, I can't get over the crimped hair and fanny pack.  I find fanny packs worn as a crossbody to look stupid.  

I told my Mom THIS is the new way to wear them! Lol. I told her she could borrow mine, she doesn’t want to wear it that way either. I prefer to wear it as a crossbody because it’s easier to reach my phone that way. Reminds me of my chest pocket in my Northface. 

I like Jinger’s outfit but I do agree the shoes are a miss. They would’ve looked cute with some slip on sneakers. Those shoes remind me of “futuristic clogs”. 

• Like 10
6 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I told my Mom THIS is the new way to wear them! Lol. I told her she could borrow mine, she doesn’t want to wear it that way either. I prefer to wear it as a crossbody because it’s easier to reach my phone that way. Reminds me of my chest pocket in my Northface. 

I also prefer a more traditional crossbody where the bag sits at my hip versus having a bag strapped across the Girls.  Mary Ann and Wanda are enough on their own, no need to bulk them up.

• LOL 24
13 minutes ago, AstridM said:

Odd choice of angle for a photo. 

D95DE989-16AE-4DEE-87A2-D38619390EF9.jpeg

I think Jinger is very pretty, but this photo does her no favors. Why would her husband post this one? (I know it’s an older one)

The outfit is fine “casual day around the house”, I like the tan joggers with the navy sweatshirt. But her face/hair style looks as if she feels really unwell and he’s driving her to urgent care!

• Like 11
  • Sad 2
  • LOL 1
28 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think Jinger is very pretty, but this photo does her no favors. Why would her husband post this one? (I know it’s an older one)

The outfit is fine “casual day around the house”, I like the tan joggers with the navy sweatshirt. But her face/hair style looks as if she feels really unwell and he’s driving her to urgent care!

She looks a lot like Jill in this photo. I wonder if one of the kids took it? It's an odd angle to be JereME, unless he's reclining!

• Like 7
  • LOL 2
29 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Is it an older one? I’m not sure of the exact date. And yes, Jeremy must hate her.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, AstridM said:

Odd choice of angle for a photo. 

D95DE989-16AE-4DEE-87A2-D38619390EF9.jpeg

Dang, those shoes are fugly!  More so than crocs, and probably a whole lot more $, knowing how JereMe likes to spend money.

Edited by xwordfanatik
change that to than
  • Like 7
  • Applause 1