Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

And then a couple months from now Jessa will do one......Except Bin will be studying...uh....what now? 

But Bin is such a lifelong learner, dontcha know? Even though he went to school for four long years, he still goes out of his way to study new things!

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
(edited)
52 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

But Bin is such a lifelong learner, dontcha know? Even though he went to school for four long years, he still goes out of his way to study new things!

Bin's such a tragedy, really.

Because I think he kind of is a lifelong learner. I think he really does like books and learning, according to his lights. But since he doesn't seem to be that bright and has a somewhat poor background from Guinn's homeschool (although not nearly as piss poor as the Duggars'. for example), he's not been in a position to make much (anything?)  either of his actual post-secondary education or learning on his own.

He needed/needs teachers and motivated classmates to talk to, and tests and assignments that get graded and courses that are constructed to lead students along a learning path....He needed/needs a home without a bunch of little kids running around in it and a wife and a set of in-laws and some actual friends who really support his learning and his ambitions and talk to him about it and so on......But instead he's totally embedded in an in-law family that loathe and despise learning and thinking in all their forms and make no secret of that. 

I know Bin got himself into this. But he was a dumb and utterly naive kid when he did it and his father was behind him pushing hard.......So I still can't help but feel kind of bad for him.

Because I'm pretty sure Jessa wouldn't be trying to portray him as an intellectual if that weren't a bit of a dream that he has. I seriously doubt Jessa gives a shit about anything involving the intellect.......

But given where Bin is now and where his life is almost certainly going, I think it's likely he'll never even read many books on his own with much understanding. let alone be able to do anything with whatever he learns or even have a chance to talk about books with a group of friends. He seems highly likely to be a lifetime toilet cleaner or lawn mower whose kids get shoved through home school with the Duggar aim of emerging as disparagers of education, just like the rest of the Duggar clan. It'd be nice to think that won't happen, but I don't really see what's going to stop it. 

Edited by Churchhoney
(edited)
1 hour ago, Albanyguy said:

Watch for Jill to do a copycat pose, watching Derek do his law school studying.

I don’t think Jill is allowed to watch Dereck study. I think he is in his study alone. 

Edited by galaxychaser
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Zella said:

The great irony--not that I think Jinger would ever see it--being that she and Jeremy are no better than her family. Sure, they're upscale now, but they are still just self-absorbed famewhore grifters like her parents. 

Oh, I don’t disagree. It’s like no one can project where they’re going to be in 5 to 20 years in this family. 

ut Bin is such a lifelong learner, dontcha know? Even though he went to school for four long years, he still goes out of his way to study new things!

They have a book club!

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 6

For all we know, Ben liked Jessa not because she was the “hot” one but because she was the “smart” one. The teacher in the family.

I wish Ben had grown up in a normal family and could fulfill his destiny to be a PE Teacher. He would love it.. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, rue721 said:

For all we know, Ben liked Jessa not because she was the “hot” one but because she was the “smart” one. The teacher in the family.

I wish Ben had grown up in a normal family and could fulfill his destiny to be a PE Teacher. He would love it.. 

From what I remember both Ben and his parents said he was interested in her because she was pretty.

• Love 8
(edited)

Yes, I think that Ben does seem to have some aptitude for reading and learning, which no one in his world ever encouraged. He might never be the kind of intellectual who reads Faulkner or Proust, but I could see him being the kind of guy who enjoys sports biographies or non-fiction books about the Civil War, or who jumps into bed at night and reads a chapter of a Tom Clancy thriller before turning out the light. Unfortunately, he could never be that guy, because it’s been drummed into him that nothing must distract you from being All Jesus, All The Time. Plus, Jessa would not be happy about anything that takes his attention away from her needs.

Edited by Albanyguy
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

What’s bizarro world to me is that I have the impression that any of these guys could have ended up with any of the Duggar girls...it seemed to be mostly a matter of whatever random hyper-religious dude passed muster with JimBobUn at what time. Is that really how anyone with sense wants their partner for eternity selected? 

Maybe RFP would’ve bolted if they tried to pair him up with a different sister...but I doubt it. 

• Love 12

Ben's reading likely consists of tomes by Spurgeon and the like. I doubt his intellectual curiosity is allowed to extend beyond the realm of religious leaders' writings or biographies. ☹️

• Love 8
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

What’s bizarro world to me is that I have the impression that any of these guys could have ended up with any of the Duggar girls...it seemed to be mostly a matter of whatever random hyper-religious dude passed muster with JimBobUn at what time. Is that really how anyone with sense wants their partner for eternity selected? 

Maybe RFP would’ve bolted if they tried to pair him up with a different sister...but I doubt it. 

If I'm not mistaken, the Duggar girls did say other men had expressed interest in them and they either didn't pass Jim Bob's inspection or the girls weren't interested. The main thing I remember is the girls specifically said some of them were "creepy." And that always stood put to me. Because I mean how fucking creepy do you have to be for those poor sheltered girls to be like, "Ugh you're so creepy!"

Since the family likes to bend the truth, I'm not sure if their account of it is the gospel truth. But it wouldn't surprise me if some seriously weird dudes have shown up and seemed interested in courting them. 

Does anyone else remember this? I can't remember where I read it, but the anecdote really made an impression on me and implied that there were actually multiple potential suitors who were even more bottom of the barrel than what they ended up with. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 20
Just now, Sew Sumi said:

Yes, Jessa called some of their suitors creeps. That's verbatim.

Thank you! I'm really curious about the creepy rejects. God, I went to school with some seriously creepy boys at COFO who would have been very intrigued by the idea of godly brainwashed virgins. 😞

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Zella said:

Thank you! I'm really curious about the creepy rejects. God, I went to school with some seriously creepy boys at COFO who would have been very intrigued by the idea of godly brainwashed virgins. 😞

Just imagine how many of those have been co-created by Gothard parenting and Gothard indoctrination camps. 

It makes the blood run cold. 

Edited by Churchhoney
2 hours ago, Future Cat Lady said:

Ben wanted to get laid. If he had waited a few years, he would have a degree and a career like his sisters.

If had gone to a regular school instead of homeschool he could have realized he could get laid and not have to get married. Then he could have gone onto college and gotten laid some more. Not marrying for years or marrying for more then to get laid and because she was hot. 

1 hour ago, Zella said:

So am I considering the weirdos they ended up with. Ben who wanted the hot one and his parents were happy to drive their teenage son two hours so he could meet her, Derick who was halfway around the world and only talked with Jill and courted long distance before coming home and getting engaged and Jeremy who lived in the real world but sought out a sheltered virgin who would do whatever her headship asked or teenage Austin asking his dad what he needed to do to get married and told to flip a certain amount of houses and apparently never noticed Joy writing her name on the walls of places he was flipping. How bad were the others if these weirdos are what made the cut?

• Love 22
2 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

How bad were the others if these weirdos are what made the cut?

I'm envisioning the fundie version of Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs

?width=630&version=2281948

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

Buffalo Bill owned his own home and business.  He would’ve made it To the getting to know you stage, at least. I think in that one episode they mentioned that several of the people that have contacted JB re courtship had been in prison.

Remember, these are people that couldn’t even muster hatred for a child molesting sibling.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Albanyguy said:

Since Jessa has always seemed very shallow and vain, her definition of "creeps" and "weirdos" may have just been based on physical appearance, i.e., the guys in question may have been paunchy, balding, chinless, etc. Ben may not have been Chris Hemsworth, but he was probably the best physical specimen that came along. Of course, "paunchy, balding and chinless" also describes her brothers, so there's that.

Exactly, I don’t think they were even allowed to have more than superficial conversations with any man.  The whole point of making sure everyone has A generic personality is that every marriage will work out regardless of the of the people that are actually involved. 

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Buffalo Bill owned his own home and business.

I never thought of it that way. But on that count, he's got all the Duggar sons-in-law beat. 😆

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, Zella said:

I never thought of it that way. But on that count, he's got all the Duggar sons-in-law beat. 😆

Big supporter of lotion time, too.

• LOL 15
  • Love 1

I thought it was Jinger who said creepy. Anyway I remember thinking, they're probably talking about guys who are normal. A guy who has a typical job, doesn't hang out with only family and doesn't own a polo shirt.

I know that if any of my kids brought home a Duggar, male or female, my creep-o-meter would engage. If I were to meet JB & M or the entire family as the family of a boyfriend or girlfriend of one of my kids, my creep-o-meter would go full tilt.

• Love 14
(edited)

Where are the Vuolos living? Weren't they supposed to stay only a year at the nice house they showed on the show? 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

Where are the Vuolos living? Weren't they supposed to stay only a year at the nice house they showed on the show? 

That is what they said, but they seem to still be in the same nice house.

• Love 4

So, today’s conspiracy theory...is it possible they don’t actually live there and they just use it for photo shoots? I don’t recall seeing anything remotely personal in any of them that would indicate they do...lots of people have coffee makers and that kitchen is so unused it could be in a Home Depot showroom. A really upscale Home Depot.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 6
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

So, today’s conspiracy theory...is it possible they don’t actually live there and they just use it for photo shoots? I don’t recall seeing anything remotely personal in any of them that would indicate they do...lots of people have coffee makers and that kitchen is so unused it could be in a Home Depot showroom. A really upscale Home Depot.

I can buy this.  There's something about that kitchen 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

Someone asked Jinger about why they were still in that house and she said it was because of the virus. OF COURSE, it was:

They'd already been there longer than a year before the lockdown and had shown no signs of leaving.  Also, if my 80 something neighbors can move in the midst of a pandemic lockdown,  surely the Vuolos could've managed it.

• Useful 5
  • Love 12
58 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I'm starting to feel Jinger is as much a prop in Jeremy's quest for celebrity as Felicity. 

She has been. Jeremy could have married anyone. He chose a sheltered virgin who had already been trained by her parents to perform on cue and came with a built in fan base. 

• Love 12
(edited)
8 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

I don't get it, are they actually giving away $1000 bucks ($50 x 20) of their own money or is there something else going on here?

It is definitely not them providing the cash.  They now have an agency representing them and this post is nothing more than an ad for UberEats which is taking advantage of the fact that these two have millions of online followers to remind said followers that, even if restaurants are closed, UberEats can bring them restaurant food.

And, since there are a zillion people online looking for ways to win stuff, Jing and Jer will probably gain even more followers as people sign up to win the 50 buck gift card.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 6
  • Love 3