Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Wow that is not a flattering photo of RFP. He looks 45.

I think the photo doesn't do much for either of them. Jinger's hair looks fried and she's wearing a shapeless, colorless top that looks like it was accidentally washed in bleach.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

she's wearing a shapeless, colorless top that looks like it was accidentally washed in bleach

It seems to be a rule that Jinger rarely wears anything that’s an actual color in these shots. Is this an influencer photographer thing, like the faces show up better If there’s nothing to visually compete?  It does her zero favors...with her coloring she just blends into the background while RFP is far more pronounced....oh wait.

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Oldernowiser said:

It seems to be a rule that Jinger rarely wears anything that’s an actual color in these shots. Is this an influencer photographer thing, like the faces show up better If there’s nothing to visually compete?  It does her zero favors...with her coloring she just blends into the background while RFP is far more pronounced....oh wait.

She's being the perfect meek wife. 🙄

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

I don't get it, are they actually giving away $1000 bucks ($50 x 20) of their own money or is there something else going on here?

No, they're not giving it away.

They've apparently got a PR firm now that's trying to make them happen as influencers so they can be of use to the PR firm and its other clients and such down the road. 

The firm probably calculates that this is a pretty small pot of cash for the firm to risk on them for an initial push, since they have at least 1.3 million followers between them (I'm assuming that most of Jer's belong to Jingle's 1.3 million as well).....

If the firm can help J&J really get a fair chunk of that crowd of followers to actually follow them and follow their lead on various things they push, then they'll be of use to different businesses and the investment will have paid off for the PR firm and its clients.....And Jingle and Jer will start bringing in some of those sweet sweet influencer checks. 

Business writers and analysts say that this kind of thing has blown up like crazy this spring because of a public that has many desperate people, sick, losing jobs, losing businesses....and also bored and stir-crazy people......So the PR/digital-advertising/influencer industry is going nuts with giveaways to lure all these suddenly-more-ripe-for-the-picking people in. 

Once again, though, j&J are very very very much skirting truth-in-advertising laws by not stating that the money is not coming from them but from another company. There's so much of this kind of thing going on and so many similar-but-slightly-varying growth schemes going on right now that they probably won't get caught. But the FTC doesn't see this kind of thing as legal.

The influencer game is entirely an advertising ploy. And just like any other sweepstakes type thing, you're supposed to have something that tells who's sponsoring the thing. State it so that the public know that it's not their heroes giving them a wonderful present. j&J don't do this, implying, once again, that they're funding it. So, they're lying by omission, once again.

This is exactly the same as their last scheme. It just doesn't ask for as much work from the followers. The followers are still the ultimate product, though. Jingle and Jer are trying to sell the followers, and monetize them..........So I guess we'll see how that works out.  

It' isn't going to help that Jer looks 45, though, probably. Especially because Jingle looks so much younger. Image is everything in this game, and while an older guy may be able to sell because he looks "distinguished," I don't think it's clear that the image of an  older-looking guy and a considerably younger-looking woman is a big seller these days for a lot of people. Although Jingle's being a Duggar may make up for all that, I suppose.

Jer is absolutely determined to make money as an influencer, though. 

But I can't imagine how he will ever square this with some kind of church job. If the influencer thing succeeds, he'll be hawking products.....very commercial products in a very commercial way...all image and conspicuous consumption all the time......

So is he really going to try to parlay his seminary degree into work at the same time? I just don't believe that any church or religious organization is going to hire somebody who's trying to do both those things at once.....Many church people like money. But that doesn't mean they're willing to fully advertise that fact to the world and make such a blatant show of grubbing for it by commercial means......They find ways to get it through the offering plate....

Yet he's just getting the influencer thing off the ground. And he's still supposedly heading toward the seminary degree -- and should have it in a year or two.....But I absolutely can't see how the two things will go together. (of course if the influencer thing never becomes lucrative, he won't have that problem. ha) 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 4
  • Love 8

Churchie, I was poking around the Master's Seminary site last night to see if they have a summer session, but I couldn't find a schedule. Can you check? I ask because Jeremy claimed he was still in classes last week. Someone (you?) pointed out that classes ended May 8. I just want to bust him in yet another lie. 

• Love 4

I'll have to take your word for it. The link just shows a calendar with no academic schedule. I just can't see him taking summer courses. As if he took fall and spring classes. 😂

• Love 5
(edited)
14 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Churchie, I was poking around the Master's Seminary site last night to see if they have a summer session, but I couldn't find a schedule. Can you check? I ask because Jeremy claimed he was still in classes last week. Someone (you?) pointed out that classes ended May 8. I just want to bust him in yet another lie. 

Yes. They have a summer schedule. The last day of finals for spring semester was May 8. And the summer semester started on May 11th. Seems like a shorter break than RFP would like, but if he's doing it, that would be the day he started.......

One thing that makes his summer participation a bit questionable is the fact that in his program, the only thing you can really take in summer is Greek....>And he did say that he was taking his Beginning Greek course last year.....So unless he dropped it so he has to take it now....or he;'s now taking the second Greek course early (in regular order, he'd take it this fall)  he's unlikely to be in summer school. Either of those things is a possibility, though....So....hard to tell....You can't catch him out without a lot more information!

(The schedule is called "calendar." And it's kind of hard to find on the website. And the information on what courses are available in the summer is in the academic handbook....In there they make quite a point of summer programs not including any courses for people in his degree program except for Greek...They're really a bit nasty about it. It's odd.  I guess they just don't want anybody asking about it -- the answer's already NO.)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 6
(edited)

The calendar shows that summer sessions begin May 11.  They don't show a schedule of classes offered that I've found online.  They have a summer session 1 and 2.  

ETA:  I can see him doing Greek in summer session.  It would even make sense to do it that way so he could concentrate on it.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, Absolom said:

The calendar shows that summer sessions begin May 11.  They don't show a schedule of classes offered that I've found online.  They have a summer session 1 and 2.  

ETA:  I can see him doing Greek in summer session.  It would even make sense to do it that way so he could concentrate on it.

Yeah, I agree. I expect that's why they offer the Greek in summer. People can have more of their minds free to memorize declensions and verb moods they've never heard of before. 

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

No, they're not giving it away.

They've apparently got a PR firm now that's trying to make them happen as influencers so they can be of use to the PR firm and its other clients and such down the road. 

The firm probably calculates that this is a pretty small pot of cash for the firm to risk on them for an initial push, since they have at least 1.3 million followers between them (I'm assuming that most of Jer's belong to Jingle's 1.3 million as well).....

If the firm can help J&J really get a fair chunk of that crowd of followers to actually follow them and follow their lead on various things they push, then they'll be of use to different businesses and the investment will have paid off for the PR firm and its clients.....And Jingle and Jer will start bringing in some of those sweet sweet influencer checks. 

Business writers and analysts say that this kind of thing has blown up like crazy this spring because of a public that has many desperate people, sick, losing jobs, losing businesses....and also bored and stir-crazy people......So the PR/digital-advertising/influencer industry is going nuts with giveaways to lure all these suddenly-more-ripe-for-the-picking people in. 

Once again, though, j&J are very very very much skirting truth-in-advertising laws by not stating that the money is not coming from them but from another company. There's so much of this kind of thing going on and so many similar-but-slightly-varying growth schemes going on right now that they probably won't get caught. But the FTC doesn't see this kind of thing as legal.

The influencer game is entirely an advertising ploy. And just like any other sweepstakes type thing, you're supposed to have something that tells who's sponsoring the thing. State it so that the public know that it's not their heroes giving them a wonderful present. j&J don't do this, implying, once again, that they're funding it. So, they're lying by omission, once again.

This is exactly the same as their last scheme. It just doesn't ask for as much work from the followers. The followers are still the ultimate product, though. Jingle and Jer are trying to sell the followers, and monetize them..........So I guess we'll see how that works out.  

It' isn't going to help that Jer looks 45, though, probably. Especially because Jingle looks so much younger. Image is everything in this game, and while an older guy may be able to sell because he looks "distinguished," I don't think it's clear that the image of an  older-looking guy and a considerably younger-looking woman is a big seller these days for a lot of people. Although Jingle's being a Duggar may make up for all that, I suppose.

Jer is absolutely determined to make money as an influencer, though. 

I can't imagine how he will ever square this with some kind of church job, though. If the influencer thing succeeds, he'll be hawking products.....very commercial products in a very commercial way...all image and conspicuous consumption all the time......

So is he really going to try to parlay his seminary degree into work at the same time? I just don't believe that any church or religious organization is going to hire somebody who's trying to do both those things at once.....Many church people like money. But that doesn't mean they're willing to fully advertise that fact to the world and make such a blatant show of grubbing for it by commercial means......They find ways to get it through the offering plate....

Yet he's just getting the influencer thing off the ground. And he's still supposedly heading toward the seminary degree -- and should have it in a year or two.....But I absolutely can't see how the two things will go together. (of course if the influencer thing never becomes lucrative, he won't have that problem. ha) 

This is most likely looping with all of the agency "clients."  The chance of JerandJing fans winning anything is negligible and untraceable.  Shame on these two foolish grifters.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

I know it's a thing at awards shows for actresses to wear a lot of neutrals and skin tone dresses because it draws the camera to the face. But Jinger's face is buried in RFP's sleeve there so idk what look they were going for ...

• Love 4

One thing that is bothering me about this latest attempt at a giveaway,  the only listed condition is both you and your spouse have to follow both of them.  I know each state has it's own laws about contests, and this does not strike me as legal in all if them. IANAL, but I do know some states require all conditions to be posted, or anyone is eligible and you dont have to meet any of the requirements.   This particular giveaway discriminates against any single person and women who's husbands dont have an account.   There is no way that is legal in all 50 states.  Not to mention international laws.  Also, what would they do if a same-sex couple enters?  

Like @Churchhoney I have also read about the rise of these types of posts on Instagram.  I predict states attorneys general will be pressuring Instagram to crack down on these posts very soon.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 10
On 5/19/2020 at 2:37 PM, leighdear said:

Folks in coastal Maine tend to eat a lot more lobster than those in the midwest.  I don't think that means they're pretentious or snotty about it.  I imagine Alaskans eat a lot of King crab, and folks from the Pacific Northwest eat a lot of Salmon.  Geography is key. 

On 5/19/2020 at 2:45 PM, latetotheparty said:

Proximity to lobster would be my reason to move to Maine. I don’t think I would ever tire of it. 

Lobster used to be so plentiful that it was considered "poor people food."  It would simply wash up on the beach at one point in history, leaving piles of lobsters up to 3 feet high.  They were used to fertilize crops by Native Americans and used as fish bait. Lobsters were fed to prisoners and slaves, who would occasionally rebel against having to eat any more lobster because they were SO. SICK. OF. IT.

I bet if you told the Duggars that (1) they're simply sea cockroaches; and (2) eating them is forbidden by the bible (like their weird aversion to bacon? Ham? Can't remember) they'd launch a national campaign against lobster, leaving lobster and other delicious crustaceans for heathens like us! 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, floridamom said:

I would think that a student at such a conservative believing seminary would not be allowed to pursue an influencer-type side career. It isn't modest, nor is it Godly to highlight yourself and pat yourselves on the back for being 'so great'. Humility just isn't present in Jeremy's life, is it?

Influencer is his main career, the seminary stuff is the side gig.

• LOL 9
  • Love 6

17 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

But I can't imagine how he will ever square this with some kind of church job. If the influencer thing succeeds, he'll be hawking products.....very commercial products in a very commercial way...all image and conspicuous consumption all the time......

His goal is to be an Instangelist--the Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker of the internet--and the degree is to give him the credentials on paper. 

No greater money-maker than starting a religion. Let's just me grateful that they lack the charm to pull it off. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 8
12 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Let's just me grateful that they lack the charm to pull it off. 

Well they are doing pretty good job of grifting/charm for now... It’s pretty sad that people are supporting 2 lazy able bodied adults. And poor prop bow is not having any privacy. She is a minor and should not be on social media/tv at all. 

It’s possible that TLC $ is supporting them but I doubt it. 

• Love 5
Just now, galaxychaser said:

Well they are doing pretty good job of grifting/charm for now... It’s pretty sad that people are supporting 2 lazy able bodied adults. And poor prop bow is not having any privacy. She is a minor and should not be on social media/tv at all. 

It’s possible that TLC $ is supporting them but I doubt it. 

Not that I think it's ok, but I don't mind too much the small potatoes grift they've got going on now. And I could totally be wrong, but I'm guessing it really is the smallest of potatoes they're getting from social media, and most of their income is TLC  money and whatever freebies the fools around them give them. It's trashy, but if people are stupid enough to comp them meals and let them live rent-free, I'm not going to be too outraged over it.

With these people, I'm more concerned with the implications of a larger platform, because Jeremy isn't going to stop at making a decent living off instagram. He doesn't just want to be an influencer, he wants to be influential, he wants a following that will hang on his every word and give him their actual cash money and not just click on an ad. And I think/hope that that will never happen for him. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 17
4 minutes ago, lascuba said:

He doesn't just want to be an influencer, he wants to be influential, he wants a following that will hang on his every word and give him their actual cash money and not just click on an ad. And I think/hope that that will never happen for him. 

It won’t. The reality of the internet means that the competition to be noticed at all has never been more fierce. The other reality of the internet is that everyone’s attention span is down to maybe 30 seconds, and that’s only if something has grabbed our notice  somehow. Otherwise it’s maybe five seconds or less.

They aren’t pretty enough, entertaining enough, hot enough, unique enough or religious enough to capture anyone other than the show’s leghumper crowd and that won’t last long as they age. Jinger isn’t that spunky kid anymore. It’s an even bigger leap from getting a follower to getting a follower’s money, so that’s out...and all of their sponsorships have been monster fails.

And call me a starry-eyed optimist 🙄, but I like to think that actual substance might come back into style. The KardashianTeenMomSurvivor era has to eventually...right?

• Love 22
19 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I'll have to take your word for it. The link just shows a calendar with no academic schedule. I just can't see him taking summer courses. As if he took fall and spring classes. 😂

The Covid-19 page states that all of the summer classes will be online. The site doesn't list individual semester classes, so I'm guessing a person has to be enrolled to have access to that information.

• Love 1

People will swallow anything, just look at the number of followers that Jim (color me blue) Bakker has or had until his shilling got shut down for now. There are followers for everyone, granted not in the numbers that the Kardashians get.

RPF has high hopes that he can be the leader of the next internet religious movement. I truely hope he's wrong.

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

The Covid-19 page states that all of the summer classes will be online. The site doesn't list individual semester classes, so I'm guessing a person has to be enrolled to have access to that information.

The Academic Handbook has some details about each degree, though. And in there they state firmly that in the degree program Jer's in the only thing you can ever take in the summer is one of the Greek courses.....They actually warn them against expecting to take any other courses in the summers! ...

Of course it's possible that in any given year some unexpected event might cause them suddenly to make a one-time exception. But if this year is like other years, then it seems pretty clear that he's taking Greek or not taking anything. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

You read more than I did. I was triggered by all the bible verses defending what they believed and had to go to my happy place for a while. 

So, either Jeremy's lying about having to study, is taking remedial Greek, or is slumming it by taking online classes from a different college? 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Nysha said:

You read more than I did. I was triggered by all the bible verses defending what they believed and had to go to my happy place for a while. 

So, either Jeremy's lying about having to study, is taking remedial Greek, or is slumming it by taking online classes from a different college? 

That's about the size of it.

I do think there are two more possibilities, though.  ....First is that he might have dropped that beginning Greek course he started last year -- knowing from the handbook that he could make it up this summer.....and figuring that'd be much easier than taking it alongside other courses. (True, if he thought that....) 

Or....and this one seems less likely to me, but still theoretically possible if he did pass the first Greek course on the first go round! --  Since the handbook says that you can take the second Greek course in summers also, maybe he signed up to take that this summer to avoid taking it in the fall. That way he could avoid taking that Greek course alongside any other courses....

The fact that they offer the Greek courses and only the Greek courses in the summer to students in his program makes me suspect that, at some point, they realized that a lot of students were struggling getting through those courses when they were taking other stuff too. So they created this "just take Greek by itself" option to avoid that. 

I've read that many seminaries have dropped their Greek requirements, at least partly because people were struggling with them and the struggle made some unhappy with the whole enterprise.......

But MacArthur would have to be really desperate to do that, I think.

One of the things he greatly prides himself on is the idea that he's teaching young preachers to do expository preaching. So he needs to make the case that he's teaching forms of deep analysis, including by churning out graduates who are able to use their knowledge of Greek to make conclusions about what New Testament passages "really" mean.

I don't know how one person with a couple of Greek courses under his belt is going to do this with greater surety than the panels of scholars who've been involved in creating virtually every translation of the New Testament currently in use....But....it's a cherished part of MacArthur's deal.....I assume some of that comes from his apparent conviction that his is a very special seminary that's heir to all those early Calvinist scholars that preached in colonial New England and are ancestors of the U.S. aristocracy....

• Useful 6
  • Love 1
On 5/21/2020 at 6:40 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Yes, Jessa called some of their suitors creeps. That's verbatim.

And Michelle sort of gasped when Jessa said it, which made me believe it was true. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

One of the things he greatly prides himself on is the idea that he's teaching young preachers to do expository preaching. So he needs to make the case that he's teaching forms of deep analysis, including by churning out graduates who are able to use their knowledge of Greek to make conclusions about what New Testament passages "really" mean.

MacArthur is full of shit.

• Love 12

I remember one of the older girls, not Jana, said on camera that their suitors were 'weirdos'. You could see the visible discomfort of Jim Bob that his daughter actually said that out loud on TV. Yes, it's their opinion, parents included, of these potential suitor applicants, but even the parents knew enough not to reveal their true opinions on TV. I remember that segment airing.

• Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, JoanArc said:

Reddit detectives noted that it only netted them about 1000 new followers. Not worth it.

I expect they're pretty tapped out on their follower numbers, since their numbers are not mainly based on anything they're doing now but on people's prior attachment to Jingle. 

And since that's probably true, the PR firms really want to use their big follower list to help build the follower lists of other clients they have, the way the first quickly-defunct giveaway was supposed to do, and, of course, get the Vuolos to successfully sell things for the firm's business clients. 

The PR firms obviously are tempted by j*J's numbers. Because they've gotten attention from various agencies and firms. 

But if the firms and agencies can't create campaigns and gimmicks that harness that million-plus to really benefit other influencers and businesses, they're ultimately not going to think it's worth putting any money into j&J. 

Up to this point, I wonder if they've sold more than a few bucks-worth of fancy coffees and a few Calvinist books for anyone.....

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 11

On another forum, someone mentioned that Jinger could try to be photographer and sell prints of her photos for money. 

A 1,000 followers seems like a lot to me. Influencing is weird. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Temperance said:

On another forum, someone mentioned that Jinger could try to be photographer and sell prints of her photos for money. 

A 1,000 followers seems like a lot to me. Influencing is weird. 

Jill has far and away more followers than Jingle or Jessa.  Influencing is hilarious. And useless. So of course they gravitate towards it. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 8