Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

On 11/11/2019 at 11:31 AM, Fig Newton said:

Knowing very little about the fundie culture, and rarely reading beyond this page, I must ask this.

The girls can not cut their hair, correct? Their master likes it long, godly....whatever.

Then why can they color and manipulate it? How is that any different than cutting? I just can't see that there is any sense to this thought process.

Don't cut. But yes, please color, change, process, braid, clip, and alter your hair in every other way? Only actual length shows love for God?

Anna seems to cut or trim her hair so it's a little past the shoulders. But I think her headship Smuggar doesn't care about her hair at all.

But I also think straight long hair just happens to be in right now. If you go on college campuses nowadays you'll see tons of girls with straight long hair. And since we all know how much Jeremy cares about fashions it's not a surprise that Jinger has straight long hair.

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Anna seems to cut or trim her hair so it's a little past the shoulders. But I think her headship Smuggar doesn't care about her hair at all.

But I also think straight long hair just happens to be in right now. If you go on college campuses nowadays you'll see tons of girls with straight long hair. And since we all know how much Jeremy cares about fashions it's not a surprise that Jinger has straight long hair.

Other than the "big hair" era in the 80's (which for once gave me the ability to have a somewhat fashionable look with barely any effort), when has long, straight hair not been "in"? Going back to Marcia Brady, that was always the look we lusted over, and even now, almost any makeover you see takes someone with frizzy, or even just reasonably nice curly hair, and makes them "beautiful" by straightening it...One of my biggest pet peeves. I totally embrace my curls!

• LOL 1
  • Love 20
6 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

That should be billed as “Dueling Egos.” 

Kanye’s bipolar mania versus Osteen’s megalomania.

What could go wrong?

🍿 I’ll be watching intently to find out!  

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I read this article today about a former mommy blogger/influencer and the dark side of that lifestyle, and it immediately made me think of Jeremy and Jinger, as well as the other aspiring influencers in the Duggar clan.

Mainly because it ties back in with what I was saying a day or two ago about the overly curated-ness of their posts and how I've seen the disconnect between social media posting and real life with some of my friends. 

At what point do you stop living a happy life because you're so invested in proving to random strangers on the internet that your life is happy?

https://www.elle.com/life-love/a29438763/natalie-lovin-mommy-blog-influencer/

• Useful 5
  • Love 12

Really interesting article, Zella, thanks for posting:

”Capitalizing off one’s daily life, and what one loves in their life, is “an unsustainable business model,” says Heather Armstrong, the Dooce blogger who recently published a book about her own depression, The Valedictorian of Being Dead. “It’s completely demoralizing. The constant need to track and document what you’re doing for people—the burnout is real.”

This quote caught my eye...it seems like a fierce conflict between a curated life and an authentic life is inevitable....except unless you’re a Duggar? Would Jinger (or any of them, for that matter) know what an authentic life, with all those actual thoughts and complex emotions, would feel or look like?

They’ve been posing for an audience all their lives. They’re perfectly trained media bots, really...essentially blanket trained from birth to perform their roles in the Godly Duggar Family Diorama.

All Jinger has done is change theatres.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 13
7 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Really interesting article, Zella, thanks for posting:

”Capitalizing off one’s daily life, and what one loves in their life, is “an unsustainable business model,” says Heather Armstrong, the Dooce blogger who recently published a book about her own depression, The Valedictorian of Being Dead. “It’s completely demoralizing. The constant need to track and document what you’re doing for people—the burnout is real.”

This quote caught my eye...it seems like a fierce conflict between a curated life and an authentic life is inevitable....except unless you’re a Duggar? Would Jinger (or any of them, for that matter) know what an authentic life, with all those actual thoughts and complex emotions, would feel or look like?

They’ve been posing for an audience all their lives. They’re perfectly trained media bots, really...essentially blanket trained from birth to perform their roles in the Godly Duggar Family Diorama.

All Jinger has done is change theatres.

That's a great point, and one I also pondered. Is it easier for the Duggars, in some way, since they've never had a normal? They're kind of like the human version of trained seals. 😞 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, JoanArc said:

Jessa’s superficiality and Jill’s endless quest for a free lunch. Well played, Jingle.

Jessa must have permanent nerve damage in her back from carrying 19 K&C and Counting On for so long. I wonder if things would have been different for her had Benessa not been such a ratings draw. I would have pegged Jessa to be the vapid IG influencer, not Jinger. 

Strange how it all plays out. 

• Love 16
18 minutes ago, Lunera said:

Screenshot_20191113-120950_Chrome-1080x1848.thumb.jpg.d2c4fd8a945d9b172b3b65add6ec28b4.jpg

Lol, wasn't she baking cookies in the same outfit in a picture posted last week. 

It's all about "influencer world" now for the Vuolos. 

Just saw this simultaneously hilarious and utterly horrifying piece about how your life goes when you really get into this ..... 

This snippet made me laugh because I could so picture the Vuolos (and increased my skepticism about whether a church hiring committee is going to like this.....my conclusion: get another career idea, Jer)  -- partly because of the sex flip on the final tidbit. 

Thinking a maturing Felicity will be a bit of a monkey wrench, though...

"...there are kind of two different things: one is the influencer couple where they’re both influencers, and so if they both take an hour dramatically staging their dinner together neither one is gonna get really annoyed at the other person, and then there’s the photographer and the influencer, or the influencer husband or influencer boyfriend who’s just happy to take the photos. They might carry around lights and is just cool with it, totally supportive.

"Ashley: Have you ever heard any like nightmare stories about that type of relationship or has an influencer ever come to you and explained how it’s destroyed their relationship or something?

"Yeah, I think that’s why a lot of influencers actually try to date other influencers or date photographers, or maybe they don’t try, but it just happens really naturally because it’s essentially two people who are really into photography and really into creating cool images and documenting their life in a way that probably would be really annoying to someone else. But to them it’s like, “Oh, if we just got out this window right here at this time, the sunset is going to be perfect, and you wear that jacket you always wear.”

"Two people who are both very much on that level and on that wavelength are going to think, “This is awesome. We’re having the best afternoon ever.”

If you’re just being dragged around and your girlfriend’s asking you, “Is this the right "jacket? Are you sure? Are you sure?” That could potentially be really annoying."

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/14/18092608/wyptb-podcast-instagram-boyfriend-influencer

• Love 7

Jessie Hsu Photography seems to be credited in most of the recent photos. Have they hired a photographer to follow them around? Is Jinger so accustomed to being videotaped/filmed all of the time, that she craves it?

(I saw a Bringing Up Bates video on their Instagram the other day - one of their young boys was holding the latest newborn baby as other family members clustered around, encouraging him. The camera then pulled back to show about 3 TV cameramen in their living room recording the whole thing. How could these people be having genuine feelings and reactions when they're being recorded all of the time?)

• Love 21

So she’s supposedly baking healthy muffins but eating churro donuts? Or is she eating one of those muffins and pretending it’s a donut?

Inquiring people want to...oh, who am I kidding. Nobody cares, except that the unnecessary deception is just annoying.

• Love 18
32 minutes ago, OpieTaylor said:

Jessie Hsu Photography seems to be credited in most of the recent photos. Have they hired a photographer to follow them around? Is Jinger so accustomed to being videotaped/filmed all of the time, that she craves it?

(I saw a Bringing Up Bates video on their Instagram the other day - one of their young boys was holding the latest newborn baby as other family members clustered around, encouraging him. The camera then pulled back to show about 3 TV cameramen in their living room recording the whole thing. How could these people be having genuine feelings and reactions when they're being recorded all of the time?)

The article I just read suggested that hiring a photographer becomes very much the done thing once an influencer gets more than 100,000 followers or so ....  So .... Jingle's got 12 times that....and Jer has more than six times that....And of course Jer wants the best of everything....thus....hired photogs it is. 

As for genuine feelings....well, I'm sure you're right that that's hard to hold onto when you're doing this kind of stuff.....Even models and actors struggle with that -- and the influencer thing is really quite different and potentially more difficult in that way.

As an actor or a model, your real life is in one basket and your sitcom or stage-play life or your modeling for Calvin Klein are in another basket. There's natural separation. And you know you're acting......

Here, as you indicated, there's no way to tell you're acting....and in fact since it's you in your real life, I expect you pretend to yourself that you aren't acting -- because you're certainly pretending that to other people.....But there are no lines -- just a weird blur and a feeling that you must portray a certain look,  certain feelings.....Sounds like a psychological disaster just waiting to happen. For some who try it, at any rate....

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 2
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

So she’s supposedly baking healthy muffins but eating churro donuts? Or is she eating one of those muffins and pretending it’s a donut?

Inquiring people want to...oh, who am I kidding. Nobody cares, except that the unnecessary deception is just annoying.

Well, influencers hire the photographer for a few hours and take pictures of them doing random stuff. Then they have a stockpile of photos to post for weeks with stupid random captions. It makes it look like they are doing something exciting every day when in fact the photos are from the same shoot.

For her next photoshoot Jinger needs to wear a couple more outfits to make it more believable.

Edited by Lunera
  • Love 21

I think it's so amusing that "everyone" (ubiquitous) wanted Jinger to break free. To go forth and be as close to normal as possible for a Duggar. Now...she's doing that and it's still not good enough. There is not a single person who is a friend/family member on FB/Instagram who is in the age range of Jinger and Jeremy who don't do just what these two are doing. It's what this age group does, they stream their lives. I could go down my timeline right now and find a family member or friend who has a picture of breakfast, coffee break, lunch, dinner, then date night. These people (millennials) live their lives in front of cameras. Is just a sign of the times. 

I don't agree with these people's opinions on life issues. But commenting on their social media led lives is just so silly to me. They aren't doing anything that any other 20s/early 30s couple would do as far as FB/Instagram/Twitter.  

Edited by Tasya
  • Love 19
3 hours ago, Fig Newton said:

This elitist lifestyle these two jerk offs are living really must be tiring.
Always posing, posturing, playing to the camera. I am guessing there muscles hurt from so much perfection.

Mouth always agape. So much wonder and curiosity in all they think they do.

I can not imagine the amount of time they spend curating the "Perfect" picture to send out to fans. OY. There was a time I liked Jinger, but her total change over/makeover to the perfect little wifey, fake starlet and influencer has just made me like her not at all. She is now my least favorite as I feel she is 100% fake. Right down to her hair color.  Jill at least is real. A real idiot, but real. Jessa is just Jessa. No fancy shit. But Jinger and the asshole husband - now these two are pathetic.

Agree, I have so much contempt  for all that fake BS.

3 hours ago, Lunera said:

Screenshot_20191113-120950_Chrome-1080x1848.thumb.jpg.d2c4fd8a945d9b172b3b65add6ec28b4.jpg

Lol, wasn't she baking cookies in the same outfit in a picture posted last week. 

We all know Jinger doesn't actually eat more than a bite of donut. So sad really.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, Zella said:

I'm a Millennial. What Jinger and Jeremy is doing is not "normal." Normal people don't hire a photographer to take pictures of themselves baking muffins and try to jockey for freebies at different restaurants every weekend. Or pose like a twat in expensive suits in the hopes of getting more freebies.

Normal people also aren't filming a TV show. Of course normal people don't hire a photographer, but they DO document their lives via picture form. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Tasya said:

Normal people also aren't filming a TV show. Of course normal people don't hire a photographer, but they DO document their lives via picture form. 

But you tried to argue what they were doing on social media was normal for anyone their age, and that is simply not true. 

Most normal celebrities also don't have to beg for freebies like these 2 apparently do since companies actively want to work with them, so even that's not "normal" for celebrities. 

• Love 11

Now...she's doing that and it's still not good enough.

Because she left one prison where you have to smile and look happy all the time for another prison where you have to smile, look happy all the time, and go out to eat 5 days a week.

• Love 21
6 minutes ago, Zella said:

But you tried to argue what they were doing on social media was normal for anyone their age, and that is simply not true. 

Most normal celebrities also don't have to beg for freebies like these 2 apparently do since companies actively want to work with them, so even that's not "normal" for celebrities. 

My argument is that posting constantly on social media is the norm for their age group; period. The fact that most people their age, who are not on TV shows, do it themselves rather than having a photographer do it is irrelevant when you consider the fact that they ARE on a television show. Now, if after they stop filming they still hire someone to document their life; it will be weird. 

6 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Because she left one prison where you have to smile and look happy all the time for another prison where you have to smile, look happy all the time, and go out to eat 5 days a week.

But is she happy with her new life? Because she seems to be; whereas she always seemed to be straining to get away from her Duggar life. I just don't understand this desire to have these people live a life that "we" (again, ubiquitous) find fulfilling. If it works for them and they aren't spouting their hate, I just can't work up any outrage over their lifestyle. 

• Love 9

I know this whole live-streaming your life is very much in among millennials. I just watched an excruciatingly boring trans-gender "gender reveal" party livestreamed on Instagram where after the gift wrapping all that was really happening was a bunch of hipsters drinking beer around a tiny apartment. 

I have more of an issue with the Duggars' way of "influencing" because ... well to be frank, I have problems with their rigid, intolerant worldviews and I sort of think that a lot of their social media is to repackage that very backwards worldview into something palatable and pretty. Jinger and Jeremy just seem the most adept at it -- they make "keeping sweet" and Gothardism seem like this glam, hip thing. And it's not. Felicity is little now but imagine if she's older and we see her still being dragged around to fancy LA restaurants while the rest of kids her age are in school. Will it be so cute then?

• Love 20
7 minutes ago, Tasya said:

My argument is that posting constantly on social media is the norm for their age group; period. The fact that most people their age, who are not on TV shows, do it themselves rather than having a photographer do it is irrelevant when you consider the fact that they ARE on a television show. Now, if after they stop filming they still hire someone to document their life; it will be weird. 

I don't see people criticizing the frequency so much as the actual content, which is fair game. They put themselves out there like "celebrities," so they are free game like any other "celebrity." Why are they exempt from the criticism that every other public figure gets? 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 14
15 minutes ago, Tasya said:

But is she happy with her new life? Because she seems to be; whereas she always seemed to be straining to get away from her Duggar life. I just don't understand this desire to have these people live a life that "we" (again, ubiquitous) find fulfilling. If it works for them and they aren't spouting their hate, I just can't work up any outrage over their lifestyle. 

I don't feel any outrage and I haven't intended to express any (about these two....different for, say, Jed's political run where, yeah, outrage...) 

I just think that what they're doing to the degree they're doing it is kind of stupid and potentially somewhat emotionally dangerous -- no matter who's doing it.

And I do think it's a distressingly shallow preoccupation for Mr. Aspiring Calvinist Preacher. For me, there's cognitive dissonance between this stuff and what he says he wants to do with his life. ....  And in the case of a supposed spiritual person doing precisely what he's doing, it feels pretty tone deaf and maybe a bit hypocritical to me....And, yeah, I feel the same way and say the same stuff about other supposed pastors who adore the camera and very expensive shoes or pocket squares.

The thing is, they've made themselves celebrities and they're embracing the celebrity look and approach more than any of the rest of the Duggarlings. And apparently embracing it more and more all the time. Once you've put yourself in that position, people are going to have opinions, including opinions about whether what you're doing is wise or not......

To me, it looks like the celebrity lifestyle with the pro photographer may be becoming something they really identify with.....Because it seems to me to just keep escalating.......Yet there's no grounds on which they're likely to be able to continue being celebrities if the show ever ends .... Jinger may realize that about herself....but I truly wonder about Jer.....A lot of things seem to have gone to his head (though obviously I could be reading that completely wrong.)

Plus, what they're doing now looks to me as if it could be pretty addictive -- and as if it might confuse you about who exactly you are and what your life will be about, what your vocation really is, whether you'll raise your kids in celebrity mode, always on camera.....And maybe I've read too many magazine stories about famous mommy bloggers going from loving what they do to feeling utterly depleted by it....

Anyway, for me, these are all very interesting questions, not because they relate to Jingle and Jer -- I've never watched these people and I've never been a fan or "liked" them in any way -- but because they are relevant to a lot of trends in our society. .... The Duggars and Duggarlings and adjacents themselves are just lab rats for me since they play out stuff that I'm interested in discussing in general. I could discuss it in terms of people I know, but that'd be gossip. These guys have made themselves into public figures who do all this stuff for the whole world to see. So, unlike with my own acquaintance pool, I'm not ratting them out by pondering the meaning and potential consequences of the stuff they do. 

• Love 19

Instagram brings in cash so that's why they do it and make good money without having to leave the house. Well played I say.

The only thing that is bothering me is, why does Jinger have a turleneck on? Isn't California warm? It's only 7 degree in Chicago today so I would understand a turtle neck but not  in CA.

• Love 2
On 11/11/2019 at 9:49 PM, Oldernowiser said:

Aw, sweetie. Bless your kind heart, thinking he might be “so into his studies” or better yet, that he might actually pick up a “wise tidbit.” Ever.

You are so much nicer than I am!

Ah, I see you neglected to turn on the ‘sarcasm’ function on your browser before reading that?

• LOL 2
7 minutes ago, Fuzzysox said:

Instagram brings in cash so that's why they do it and make good money without having to leave the house. Well played I say.

The only thing that is bothering me is, why does Jinger have a turleneck on? Isn't California warm? It's only 7 degree in Chicago today so I would understand a turtle neck but not  in CA.

Maybe it's so warm they have air conditioning on? 

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Fuzzysox said:

The only thing that is bothering me is, why does Jinger have a turleneck on? Isn't California warm? It's only 7 degrees in Chicago today so I would understand a turtle neck but not  in CA.

26 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

It depends on which day the photo was taken.  We've had some wide ranges from mid-forties at night to mid-nineties on some days.  I've been putting on a sweater or jacket around 4 most afternoons.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
32 minutes ago, Fuzzysox said:

It seems to be a SoCal thing to find what we in the Northeast or ppl in the Midwest to think warm temperatures 'cold.' But another thing about SoCal is that temperatures do drop suddenly at night which can contribute to the "cold" feeling. Like if it was 70's during the daytime and there's a big degree drop at night it does feel "cold."

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I had on a winter coat to go trick or treating with the grandkids.  It was windy and the temperature was steadily dropping and yeah I felt chilled.  It had been quite warm in the previous days and my body was not adjusted for "winter."  Today clothing choices at the market ranged from sweaters and jackets to tank tops and shorts.  It was 73 and breezy.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

As I noted in the Great Campout/House Hunters thread, Jinger said living in the Chaplin house might help their career. It felt very out of context to me until reading the recent posts here.

If Jing and Jer are referring to influencing as a career, then their posts are typical of influencers. Maybe this is their new gig and Jeremy becoming a pastor has taken a back seat. Or maybe they're trying to do both.

I'm very curious as to what the Vuolo's lives will look like in ten years. Actually, I'm even curious about what we'll be posting about this couple in November of 2020.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

As I noted in the Great Campout/House Hunters thread, Jinger said living in the Chaplin house might help their career. It felt very out of context to me until reading the recent posts hear.

If Jing and Jer are referring to influencing as a career, then their posts are typical of influencers. Maybe this is their new gig and Jeremy becoming a pastor has taken a back seat. Or maybe they're trying to do both.

I'm very curious as to what the Vuolo's lives will look like in ten years. Actually, I'm even curious about what we'll be posting about this couple in November of 2020.

"Career," eh? Interesting. 

I could give them some advice....If they really want a career as influencers -- no matter how many followers they have -- they need to focus way more than they're doing.

You really can't do men's clothing, food, Calvinist books and fountain pens all at once. People have to be coming to your feed for an interest that they have. (and the interest can't really just be you, the influencer -- unless you're really really really sexy...) Way too few people are simultaneously deeply interested in their whole list to make up an audience. And you need the steady audience.

It'd be as if Primetimer: Counting On let us yammer about the Duggars this week, but then next week it only had conversation about death metal music and the week after that it was about Disney animated films....and then fountain pens.... before coming back to the Duggars again.  Most people would stop coming back after a while because too little of the stuff would be of compelling interest.

And you have to give people value related to the interest they share with you. You can't just post pictures of yourself. People who are really interested in men's clothing need to feel they're learning about it and seeing cool stuff or insider stuff or stuff they otherwise wouldn't see by looking at your feed. And they need to get that value consistently. In other words, Jer needs more new clothes and he probably needs to give a few reports on what kind of jackets are hot in Rome this year....and start posting an outfit of the day that he sees on the street....or at least an outfit of the week. 

If you want to make an actual living at it -- especially if you plan to live in an expensive city --  influencer isn't a career you can do in a half-assed way. 

And when you're planning for a career that can support you long term, you should remember that you may not always have a free house. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 19

Thanksgiving is around the corner. It wouldn't hurt them to do a post from a soup kitchen or even them dropping off a bag of canned goods (except it would be for show & not a regular part of their lives.) I'm not sure Jeremee would go for the hair net look though.  Maybe a hair net pocket square for him??

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

As I noted in the Great Campout/House Hunters thread, Jinger said living in the Chaplin house might help their career. It felt very out of context to me until reading the recent posts hear.

Pregnant Jingle Bell 

• LOL 5