Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

58 minutes ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

I truly hope that this breed of preachers die off soon. Their outdated views belong in the past and can and do cause real harm. Younger people nowadays are less likely to identify as religious or attend church as regularly as previous generations, so hopefully these disgusting types of rants disguised as Biblical teaching will be silenced into the minority when the old guard meet their maker. 

And she is gonna be pissed.

• LOL 8
  • Love 13

It's been 100 years since women were giving the right to vote. Women have been fighting for equal right for eons. And women not only continue to fight, they continue to succeed. 

The Duggar females are no longer sheltered from society. They're exposed to females in positions of power. If they chose to continue passing down these backward beliefs to their children it's on them too, not only their headships.

It's sad that 1/3 of this country is so insecure that they need to make others less than, to feel empowered. Fortunately, voices like Macarthur's are overshadowed by the many voices of respected, well rounded folks, who don't need to disrespect and disempower others to be heard. 

MacArthur can go tuck his little penis between his legs and shut the fuck up.

• LOL 1
  • Love 23
13 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

Oh let's face it. Jinger lucked out that Jeremy is way too vain to care about any of that patriarchy stuff. All he cares about is that his pocket square matches his tie. As long as she keeps up her looks and the money from TLC rolls in so they can live out their expensive tastes.

I think that's probably largely true about Jer. (although I do think he's pretty emotionally committed to being the biggest big shot in any room -- so patriarchy probably has some appeal to him in that way, at least....)

But his essential lack of caring makes me wonder this: If somebody doesn't care one way or another about pretty fundamental issues of belief, why's he so hot to be a preacher then?

The whole point about preachers is that they're supposed to care more than the rest of us about what people believe about life and how it operates. Does somebody whose only interest is dressing up in fancy clothes and having fun in LA  actually have the temperament and mind of a preacher?

I'm guessing not. Go get a job in the clothing industry, Jer. It'd suit you much better. (except, of course, for its not giving you many chances to stand up in pulpits, feel like you're better than everybody else, and get off on telling everybody what to do, I guess....)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

The whole point about preachers is that they're supposed to care more than the rest of us about what people believe about life and how it operates. Does somebody whose only interest is dressing up in fancy clothes so he can have fun in LA  actually have the temperament and mind of a preacher?

Oh, Jeremy totally doesn't have the temperament and mind of a preacher. I've suspected it since early in their marriage and since the Pocket Square Free Food Tour of L.A. started, I'm 100% convinced. 

What Jeremy wants most of all is to be admired. Sure he could get admiration as a lifestyle blogger, but the crowd he knows and respects the most (incredibly conservative Christians that have managed to dress up their hateful ways a little better) is not going to have any admiration for a guy who openly makes his living selling clothing (I would imagine MacArthur Park would call such careers the jobs of weak men) so, Jeremy is a preacher...of sorts... And to be a tiny bit fair to JereME considering the number of missionary pilots and preacher mechanics/landscapers in this crew, he's not exactly the only one to paste a CHRISTIAN label on a fairly mundane job and get/hope to get applause for it. 

Personally, I don't think Jeremy is good enough at his beard career to pose much danger to the world at large, but I am a little worried about what happens to Felicity (and to a lesser extent Jinger) when they stop being the perfect little props to JereME's perfect little life. 

Edited by satrunrose
  • Love 16
33 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

What Jeremy wants most of all is to be admired.

Yes, and I think being a high-profile MacArthur-style preacher wouldn't be his first choice as a career, but one that he's settled for as a default. I'm sure that his first choice would have been a successful career as a professional athlete where, after years of glory on the playing field, he could comfortably retire and enjoy lucrative paid endorsements and appearances. Unfortunately, he didn't have the ability to make it to the big time (and compared to football or baseball, professional soccer isn't terribly popular or well-rewarded in the U.S. anyway) and he had to look around for something else.

Next best for him would probably have been a career as a male model, perhaps leading to jobs as a TV spokesman or even acting, but while he's obsessed with looking his best, he just isn't classically handsome enough (and perhaps a little too stiff and wooden) to make it possible (and I'll bet he's put out a few feelers with no success).

And so he's fallen back on becoming a big-time celebrity preacher and he's at least managed to get his foot in the door. Whether sucking up to MacArthur will get him what he wants in the long-term remains to be seen. Gore Vidal once said "Politics is the preferred career of the ambitious but lazy second-rater". Perhaps one could say the same thing about fundamentalist preachers.

• Love 17
2 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

Yes, and I think being a high-profile MacArthur-style preacher wouldn't be his first choice as a career, but one that he's settled for as a default. I'm sure that his first choice would have been a successful career as a professional athlete where, after years of glory on the playing field, he could comfortably retire and enjoy lucrative paid endorsements and appearances. Unfortunately, he didn't have the ability to make it to the big time (and compared to football or baseball, professional soccer isn't terribly popular or well-rewarded in the U.S. anyway) and he had to look around for something else.

Next best for him would probably have been a career as a male model, perhaps leading to jobs as a TV spokesman or even acting, but while he's obsessed with looking his best, he just isn't classically handsome enough (and perhaps a little too stiff and wooden) to make it possible (and I'll bet he's put out a few feelers with no success).

And so he's fallen back on becoming a big-time celebrity preacher and he's at least managed to get his foot in the door. Whether sucking up to MacArthur will get him what he wants in the long-term remains to be seen. Gore Vidal once said "Politics is the preferred career of the ambitious but lazy second-rater". Perhaps one could say the same thing about fundamentalist preachers.

That's exactly the trajectory I've imagined...... Those calls to modeling agencies?....Check. 

I think it seems pretty clear from this, too, that he is not going to do anything he thinks would risk losing the MacArthur train ride -- like veering from JM's lead by even a millimeter.

He's down to Plan C already. And it's hard to imagine an even vaguely viable Plan D that would have any chance of getting him some spotlight at this point. He pretty clearly doesn't have any relevant, potentially-celebrity-inducing talents (or semi-talents) to fall back on now. And he's over 30. Time's a-tickin'. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5

There’s really only one Plan D I can think of, other than being some snotty salesman at some designer boutique Rodeo Drive. 

Real estate.

He’s just the kind of shallow, lazy superficial showboat that gives realtors a bad name.

He’d get killed out there in the high end markets, but he could create a little niche among the kind of Christmas Christians he’s cultivating. Even then he’d have to work really hard, develop the ability to focus on details, and be out there seven days a week, evenings and weekends. So...never mind.

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
16 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

There’s really only one Plan D I can think of, other than being some snotty salesman at some designer boutique Rodeo Drive. 

Real estate.

He’s just the kind of shallow, lazy superficial showboat that gives realtors a bad name.

He’d get killed out there in the high end markets, but he could create a little niche among the kind of Christmas Christians he’s cultivating. Even then he’d have to work really hard, develop the ability to focus on details, and be out there seven days a week, evenings and weekends. So...never mind.

Some bright young women would work hard and outsell him by miles. What a blow that would be.

• LOL 18
25 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Real estate.

I suspect that this has been part of the problem with all his plans! 

I have a hard time believing he couldn't have shown more improvement in preaching, for example, if he'd actually been working hard at it for those three years or so that he did it regularly. 

And it's happening now with the influencer thing, I think.....I just don't see any learning or much effort there.....

I think maybe he's bought into the myth of the overnight sensation. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Kanye said all this in church today. I wonder how Jeremy and Bin (and Anna!) feel about his modest comments ? 🤣

Kanye West made a bold claim after taking the stage alongside pastor Joel Osteen.

“The greatest artist that God ever created is now working for (Him),” West said. “I’m here in service to God. No weapon formed against me shall prosper.”

https://www.nydailynews.com/snyde/ny-kanye-west-greatest-artist-god-20191117-yvnuxf7ge5b2vid6f6iuzrwzlq-story.html

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Please take your meds, Kanye. The crash from this is likely to be horrendous. I hope he has someone around him with the sense to fear for him greatly at this point, because I sure do. 

It seems sad to me that outsiders are more concerned for Kanye than his family seems to be.  I know I wish he would get back on his meds.  

• Love 18
On 11/16/2019 at 8:08 AM, Churchhoney said:

Yep, that's his view.

In addition, he's notorious -- including among graduates and former faculty of his own seminary -- for simply kicking to the curb anyone who enters his orbit but turns not not to share all of his beliefs and ideas (all of which he considers theological and come down from God, basically). All of them. In detail. He does everything in his power to ensure, for example, that there aren't even lawn maintenance or computer-support people at his schools that don't buy his philosophy 100 percent. 

So he would never, ever, ever show the tiniest bit of approval of -- let alone favoritism toward -- a student/employee who disagreed with him about the above, even to a small degree.

So if people think Jer is actually a modern man who has progressive views of any kind about females -- well, that's extremely unlikely. He either holds the same views as MacArthur about women, or he's willing to behave as if he does. All the time.

And since Jer gives every sign of planning to rely on MacArthur's approval and largesse to create his future career, he's clearly committed to embracing this philosophy for a long long time......

ETA: Here's one of Chuck's recent commentaries on the subject, by the way. Women are for making babies, being submissive and learning from men. He avoids MacArthur-type ranting. He goes out of his way to mention that this doesn't mean women are inferior to or dumber than men, for example. In this, I see Jer's style of -- believe the same stuff but make it look innocuous and stylish........

Chuck doesn't grapple with how wonderful it must be to have to always submit to and learn from guys, including the ones you might be smarter or more virtuous or stronger than, though. I've read and listened to several of his comments on this subject, and haven't heard him say anything about that, except to imply that, hey, it's what God wants so deal with it. To my knowledge, he's never offered any advice about how to avoid being pissed off by the situation....I think that'd be helpful advice to give, if you're going to preach this.

He gets it from Paul, of course. And since it came from Paul, they can happily claim it's irrefutable. Paul -- as he so often does -- has a lot to answer for here, in my opinion. (Although MacArthur, though he also claims Paul, is actually kind of out-Pauling Paul currently, it seems....)

He notes near the end of this that their son is now a pastor....Adding that, they're so proud of him and then he adds "of course, we have other children, too..." Doesn't note whether they're proud of them or not. lol ... So, yeah, Jer's become the golden boy in the family because of this move as well.  

Also, hilariously (to me, anyway), Chuck says Jer owes a lot of his "discipline" to having had a godly mother......I don't know, Diana. Is he actually noted for discipline? Is it disciplined for a seminarian to constantly eat out, often whining to have the food put on somebody else's dime, and to buy (and tempt others to buy) $85 pocket squares? Not so sure....

(All this said, Chuck is at least 10,000 times better at preaching than Jer is, seems to me....It doesn't seem to have given him a millionaire's lifestyle, though....Food for thought for the son of whom they're so proud, I would think.) 

https://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=7118193051

I wonder what ol MacArthur thought of Sarah Palin? Given his beliefs, he should have been vehemently against putting a woman in such a position. She also had a young family at home, including a special needs infant.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I wonder what ol MacArthur thought of Sarah Palin? Given his beliefs, he should have been vehemently against putting a woman in such a position. She also had a young family at home, including a special needs infant.

Interesting question.

I suppose he doesn't always bother to be consistent! 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

I'm sure that his first choice would have been a successful career as a professional athlete where, after years of glory on the playing field, he could comfortably retire and enjoy lucrative paid endorsements and appearances. Unfortunately, he didn't have the ability to make it to the big time (and compared to football or baseball, professional soccer isn't terribly popular or well-rewarded in the U.S. anyway) and he had to look around for something else.

If he had been good enough to play at a top team in Europe he could have made serious money, both salary and endorsements. Unfortunately for him he was only good enough to play in Finland for a team I never even heard of.

• Love 9

My opinion is that Jeremy is NOT in this seminary for theological studies. He is being taught social standards for women, using the bible as an excuse to keep women subservant to men. Studying the origins of our souls and the existence of a Supreme Being and how it interacts in our lives here on Earth is a theological study. Has nothing to do with the earthly roles of females. The Almighty is neither male OR female. The eventual fate of our souls and how the Creator fits in to that are what "theological studies" should be about. Jeremy is attending a cheesy 'school' and he will be a cheesy preacher....in very fine clothing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
On 11/17/2019 at 7:27 AM, Oldernowiser said:

I want Felicity to grow up driving her Datty crazy... I want her to be a militant activist Buddhist gender fluid feminist who hates makeup, runs a weed farm, has a girlfriend, and can kick his prissy ass sideways.

I want to like this 1000 times. Perfect!

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, Lunera said:

Yes.

Yikes. Hell may have frozen over. That's the coffee house connected with Grace Community and thus with the seminary. Is it possible Jer's having coffee with....shock!....a fellow seminarian? 

....actually, though, I think I've issued a false alarm. That guy's not wearing a tie and I think the seminarians may be required to.....Everybody can stand down. It's probably one of his photographers or something. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 2

I want to know how many photos were snapped before this one was decided on. I refuse to believe there was just 1 picture.

Incidentally, today I went to a coffeeshop with a friend of mine, and we had a perfectly nice visit without feeling the need to snap a selfie or tag the business. 🙄

• LOL 16
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Yikes. Hell may have frozen over. That's the coffee house connected with Grace Community and thus with the seminary. Is it possible Jer's having coffee with....shock!....a fellow seminarian? 

That guy is the son of the rich couple that own the house they grifted.

• Useful 22
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, Lunera said:

So he’s sucking...sideways?

6 minutes ago, riverblue22 said:

I don't like the jacket, shirt, and tie combo.  Something is off...maybe the bright striped shirt is too casual for the jacket.

I think he recently had an unfortunate and too-drastic haircut. At that angle it looks like his face is twice as big as his head and his head is too big for his body, 

• LOL 12
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Future Cat Lady said:

Does he have a photographer following him around?

Apparently so.  He always tags the photographer/their Instagram account in his posts.  If you click the links/people tagged (even on this site), they bring up the Instagram of the photographers.  

Jeremy has great chemistry with the coffee guy. It looks like a meet-cute from a Hallmark movie. 

• LOL 18
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Lunera said:

Of course! I thought he looked a tiny bit familiar, but I wasn't sure.  Rich guy... check! 

Might've known Jer wouldn't hang out with any mere ministerial students.

ETA: I've been in school a few times. And there always seemed to be a lot of hanging out with other people you were in school with. There was a desire to talk about the many things we had in common.....and all kinds of people seemed to want to do that, as I remember.......I wonder if Jer ever hangs out with classmates?

10 hours ago, Future Cat Lady said:

Does he have a photographer following him around?

They seem to be following the influencer trend of hiring one at least occasionally to do that,, so , yeah....  🙄

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

I don't like the jacket, shirt, and tie combo.  Something is off...maybe the bright striped shirt is too casual for the jacket.

My guess is that it's less the color of the stripe than the color combined with the width of the stripe? ... As you say, way too casual for the jacket and the tie.

And calling too much attention to itself -- so you've got the pretty complicated jacket and then those way wide stripes and then a contrasting tie color all fighting for attention.

"Your eye doesn't know where to go," as they tend to say on Project Runway. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 5
9 hours ago, Zella said:

Incidentally, today I went to a coffeeshop with a friend of mine, and we had a perfectly nice visit without feeling the need to snap a selfie or tag the business.

Hee! JinJer hired a photographer to follow them around so they too, will never have to feel the need to snap a selfie. They have someone to do that for them!

7 hours ago, Temperance said:

Jeremy has great chemistry with the coffee guy. It looks like a meet-cute from a Hallmark movie

Is his name Beckett?

• LOL 12

Apparently the guy in the picture wrote comments on the post? from FB:

"Good coffee is always better when  enjoyed with great company."    

The guy in the photo, Matt wrote: "Imagine if I never met the broski."  Jeremy replied: "Not an enjoyable thought."    I hope Cade doesn't find out about this new bromance.

what a couple douches! Broski? 😆😆😆

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • LOL 18
  • Love 2
55 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Apparently the guy in the picture wrote comments on the post? from FB:

"Good coffee is always better when  enjoyed with great company."    

The guy in the photo, Matt wrote: "Imagine if I never met the broski."  Jeremy replied: "Not an enjoyable thought."    I hope Cade doesn't find out about this new bromance.

what a couple douches! Broski? 😆😆😆

So he wants Cade for the (minimal, but still...)  fame and this guy for the money. 

He's just using you, broskis.

Have no expectations because he really has nothing to give you in return -- and no interest in giving you anything, either. If he finds a broski who's more famous? or richer? 

Buh-bye. 

He's in it for JereMe. 

(of course his finding a more famous or richer guy willing to be his broski.... slim....so there's that)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 15
8 hours ago, Suzn said:

This struck me as a very odd picture and couldn't quite put my finger on what made it so peculiar.  It's the way they are looking deeply into each other's eyes - the little smiles - the kiss (sorry that's next).

I agree. It's pictures like me that make me wonder if the completely unsubstantiated rumor/gossip that Jeremy has hired male hookers might be accurate after all.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

Hee! JinJer hired a photographer to follow them around so they too, will never have to feel the need to snap a selfie. They have someone to do that for them!

Is his name Beckett?

Matt. Beckett is more movie name. I agree they stare at each other passionately. Jerry does not stare at Jinger like that.

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
36 minutes ago, Lunera said:

That guy is 22, single, and living the good life off daddy's money. What on earth could he have in common with that boring old fart.

It does seem to make no sense.....

All I can figure (other than the fun fantasy Jer secretly flirts etc with boys and, oh, won't there be hell to pay when that news gets out?)....is that Jer fawns on him, the way he fawns on MacArthur, Cade, that pitiful 40-something guy from the church, and maybe others? Jer appears to be a world-class fawner and ass-kisser....

Possible that some young guys like Matt (and Cade) really enjoy being fawned upon, too, like the older ones and, like the older ones, don't really understand that it's all phony bullshit by which the fawner tries to get stuff he wants? 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8