Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, floridamom said:

Perhaps Jeremy IS part English..remember he is only a small part Italian...his grandfather Vuolo is full Italian. That's it. Perhaps his mother is part English. No way is Diana Vuolo part Italian. Does any one know what her background is? How about Grandma Vuolo? She said on meatball cooking show, that she was NOT Italian. These recipes she excels at were HER mother-in-law's recipes, who WAS full Italian.

Also, England is our (the USA)legal and linguistic mother land. Most children born in the USA these days have Anglo names, whether they have Anglo-Saxon or Welsh ethnic heritage. I liked the name Felicity, it’s sweet and classic without being super popular. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, floridamom said:

Jill's was transverse AND breech.

So Jill said which is more ignorance on her part since she theoretically had some midwifery training.  They are two different positions and the baby can't be in both at the same time.  Breech is bottom or foot/feet down and transverse is lying across the uterus side to side.  

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 20
12 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I think they chose San Antonio because the midwife was competent and there was a hospital near her birthing center.

I don’t feel any Brown-people-phobia from this couple.  Maybe it’s true, but I know how I was with my own first delivery.  I asked several people what OB group they used (we live in a relatively small town as well).  When my cousin (a surgical nurse) said “if I were you, I’d use Dr. X.  He’s an ass and has the bedside manner of a Nazi.  BUT if you get in trouble, or there’s a twist in the plot, he’s your man”.  And that’s where I went.  It seems, new to the area, Jinger would have relied on recommendations.  But who knows, really?

Here’s what I remember:  my first baby was a nightmare.  I labored hard and strong, and he wasn’t in the birth canal, and was face up.  They had to turn him twice in utero.  Plus he seemed gigantic (while I am not) at 9.5lbs.  It was not much fun.  In the middle of that, if my doc had said “there’s a janitor in the hall who thinks he can deliver this baby”, I would have said “let’s do it”.  

I got no smack about her going to San Antonio where she thought she and Felicity would get the best care possible(in her mind, anyway). It seems logical to me to induce as well, rather than try to hit that 2 hr drive time window in labor.  I remember as well (with all 3) not wanting to spend more time than necessary laboring at the hospital.  I wouldn’t go until I was positive I was staying. (Almost missed it on #2, she came fast - and then THAT child gave birth in a car).  

Anyway, that’s just me.  YMMV

Edited by Happyfatchick
apparently i can no longer type error free. Dang
  • Love 21
8 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

I wouldn’t go until I was positive I was staying. (Almost missed it on #2, she came fast - and then THAT child gave birth in a car).  

I had to laugh because you reminded me of my husband's cousin.  He and his wife had kid #1 and then later tried for kid #2. And tried, and tried.  Finally they decided to do 1 round of fertility treatments.  And voila!  Kid #2.  Shortly after that, without trying came kid #3.  Gulp.  Then again without trying came kid #4.  That one, no joke, was delivered on their kitchen floor by the husband, while on the phone with 911.  He came so fast, everyone was shocked.  Luckily they keep a much cleaner house than any of the Duggars.  By the way after #7 was born, someone FINALLY got the idea of being snipped.  LOL

• Love 12

The first family I babysat for (30+ years ago) ended up with around 13 kids.   They had tried to conceive for over 10 years, no baby.  Gave up and adopted the baby girl I babysat.  They were pregnant by the time she turned one and had another pretty much each year thereafter.  It was just crazy!

However, they were phenomenal parents that actually gave their kids love and attention AND could afford them all! 

Edited by tabloidlover
  • Love 17
10 hours ago, floridamom said:

Perhaps Jeremy IS part English..remember he is only a small part Italian...his grandfather Vuolo is full Italian. That's it. Perhaps his mother is part English. No way is Diana Vuolo part Italian. Does any one know what her background is? How about Grandma Vuolo? She said on meatball cooking show, that she was NOT Italian. These recipes she excels at were HER mother-in-law's recipes, who WAS full Italian.

I'm sure you know this, but not all people of Italian descent are olive-skinned with dark hair. Diana Vuolo could very well be of Italian descent. 

• Love 17
11 hours ago, Heathen said:

I'm sure you know this, but not all people of Italian descent are olive-skinned with dark hair. Diana Vuolo could very well be of Italian descent. 

She's not. She mentioned it in her testimony (I now forget who linked it). Jeremy is only Italian through his paternal grandfather.

• Love 7
On 2018-08-12 at 10:26 AM, lookeyloo said:

I was born a long time ago and my mother drank a beer before nursing me, as advised by her doctor and older women to let down her milk, so they said. Maybe she didn't even need it.  She wasn't a beer drinker as I remember her.  Imagine if that were suggested to any of the Duggar girls.  I'm not advocating or saying it was the right thing to do.  Except I was a "charmingly" plump baby.  translate - fat.

I was born in the UK. Back in the day, my mother tells me, Guinness would deliver to maternity hospitals. At the very least, it would help new mums relax about feeding. 

• Love 24
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

She's not. She mentioned it in her testimony (I now forget who linked it). Jeremy is only Italian through his paternal grandfather.

And that is different than assuming she's not and saying "no way" is she part Italian. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, mimionthebeach said:

I was born in the UK. Back in the day, my mother tells me, Guinness would deliver to maternity hospitals. At the very least, it would help new mums relax about feeding. 

So was I, and my mother tells me they recommended Guinness to her as well. She hates beer, but gamely drank it, and the next day both she and I had terrible diarrhea. Whether it was the Guinness that caused it or something else, she has never touched beer since. And I've never developed a taste for it either.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, Wishing Well said:

I’ve never had a baby, but are those bows super awful?  My friend has two baby girls who are 4 and 2, and they had a new one every day.

I can’t wear hats, or bows, or even pants sometimes so I can’t imagine...

Some are very nice- soft, non binding. I think they are cute. 

No of course you shouldn’t put something too tight on the baby’s head, but if you choose a quality one it won’t bother them. 

• Love 11
On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:34 PM, CoachWristletJen said:

Is it just me or is there something about the idea of turning his Bible to Genesis 1:1 on Day 1 of seminary studies that just seems ridiculously cheesy? 

I have no doubt that Babe spent hours setting up that perfect shot of studious learning.

3 hours ago, kokapetl said:

“Ow! My soft skull and brain!”

Seriously.  That baby is not properly positioned.  Poor little ladybug. 

• Love 10
29 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

Seriously.  That baby is not properly positioned.  Poor little ladybug. 

No she's not. She's all squished down. That's not good for her neck or her breathing. 

As for the bows. My twins who turned 2 in April were the first girls in my husbands family since his sister. My mother in law went nuts. She has made them tons of those headbands. Some with bows, and some with flowers. Always with enough elastic to be stay put, but not leave a mark. My girls loved them. They still do. They want to wear them still.  When I can get them out of their Elsa dresses.  ? 

• Love 14
On 8/8/2018 at 1:23 AM, Sew Sumi said:

How she missed Giddy being breech is inexcusable. 

Edited August 8 by Sew Sumi.

Do we know it was missed?  I don't remember hearing/reading that but I, admittedly, don't pay terribly close attention.  I assumed they knew it was breach but Joy was still going to try to have a home breech delivery.

I was surprised at how little of the birth we saw.  It was almost like "Why bother"?  I understand not wanting everyone in there but, if that's the case, just skip it altogether.  Why "film" it but make viewers read almost everything that happened.

Is there really no decent hospital closer than 2.5 hours?  Did she drive that distance every month/week for check ups during her pregnancy?  I hope there's a pediatrician that's closer!

Surely they didn't allow Jeremy's dad in there for the actual delivery?  Eewww.  I had four children.  We never even told anyone we were going to the hospital with any of them, except for my sister who kept the older kids.  I didn't want anyone standing outside pacing or waiting on the other end of the phone line for a call.  Way too much pressure!  And I had four quick, easy, unmedicated deliveries.  But, no thanks!

I have said it before but I really like Jeremy.  I don't see the domineering/headship minded guy that many others think he is.  I feel like he and Jinger are much more a "team" than other couples.  I mean, good grief, they didn't even get pregnant for a year after their marriage!  And they admitted they wanted to wait.  That's major progress!

I do find the supposed relationship between Jeremy and Ben very strange.  I don't think they could be more different.  Jeremy has lived a lot in the real world:  upbringing, public school, secular college, professional soccer.  Next to him, Ben is pretty much "uncultured swine". Maybe Jeremy just puts up with Ben because Jessa and Jinger are so close but it seems very strange to me.  

Jinger may be wearing pants but her fashion sense hasn't improved a whole lot!  

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, Horrified said:

Was Jeremy driving a Mercedes to the Duggar's last night?  Kind of posh for a seminary student, no?  

I noticed that too and it had out of state tags, so likely a rental. I have a feeling even if they weren't traveling on TLC's dime, he'd do something pretentious like rent a luxury car for a weekend visit. He just seems the type to waste money for show.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 12
On 8/9/2018 at 3:54 PM, floridamom said:

How is it that an expectant mom can have both an ob/gyn AND a midwife? Who has the authority over the mom's case? Who does she see at her appointments? I would think the doc would need to examine and monitor her. What if their opinions clash?

I can speak to this.  I've had four children, three were delivered by midwives, who were affiliated with OBGYN practices.  I always saw only the midwife and the midwives delivered each of my babies.  I wanted the personal care of a midwife and I didn't want to take whatever doctor happened to be on call.  That being said, my deliveries were all in a hospital and, had I had any issues during pregnancy or delivery, one of the doctors in the practice would have been consulted and, if necessary, I would have continued under the doctor's care instead.  I could have had an epidural if I had wanted one, and I received the same level of care (I actually think it was higher care and more personal) that I would have from seeing a doctor:  ultrasounds, regular prenatal checkups, etc.  Maybe it's not for everyone, but I loved it and would highly recommend it.

My question:  insurance?  That had to be one hefty hospital bill and I imagine the Vuolos don't have health insurance. They probably have a medical sharing type plan.  That will be one fun bill to dispense!

• Love 9
On 8/13/2018 at 2:24 PM, mimionthebeach said:

My grandma once told me they had her drink Guinness while pregnant with my mom for the iron. I told her that's why I turned out gay...the look on her face before she realized I was joking was amazing. We had a good laugh about it.

18 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I noticed that too and it had out of state tags, so likely a rental. I have a feeling even if they weren't traveling on TLC's dime, he'd do something pretentious like rent a luxury car for a weekend visit. He just seems the type to waste money for show.

Eh...it's also possible the choices were a rental-level Ford Fiesta or the Benz. Depending on the rental company, the brands aren't always the cost, it's the size of the vehicle, so it could be all they had was full size sedans vs compact cars and he didn't want to drive a Chevy Sonic. Or he had a credit card perk that gave him an upgrade. Rental car costs are so fungible it's hard to knock that.

• Love 22
7 minutes ago, questionfear said:

it's also possible the choices were a rental-level Ford Fiesta or the Benz. Depending on the rental company, the brands aren't always the cost, it's the size of the vehicle, so it could be all they had was full size sedans vs compact cars and he didn't want to drive a Chevy Sonic. Or he had a credit card perk that gave him an upgrade. Rental car costs are so fungible it's hard to knock that.

I agree. It's really possible that rental car inventories could be low where they were renting, and mid-size or full-size might have meant a Benz. It's bigtime summer vacation season, plus there have been hailstorms in some areas (damaged vehicles -> locals renting cars) and other events that have increased demand for rentals. It can have a domino effect. Last week it was on the news that because of some awful hailstorms in this state, rental car companies were scrambling to ship more vehicles here from other states. 

It's also possible the Benz was recently purchased by the Duggar used car biz, although the out of state plates would be a puzzler in that case. If JB has anything, he has cars!

22 hours ago, Julia67 said:

I can speak to this.  I've had four children, three were delivered by midwives, who were affiliated with OBGYN practices.  I always saw only the midwife and the midwives delivered each of my babies.  I wanted the personal care of a midwife and I didn't want to take whatever doctor happened to be on call.  That being said, my deliveries were all in a hospital and, had I had any issues during pregnancy or delivery, one of the doctors in the practice would have been consulted and, if necessary, I would have continued under the doctor's care instead.  I could have had an epidural if I had wanted one, and I received the same level of care (I actually think it was higher care and more personal) that I would have from seeing a doctor:  ultrasounds, regular prenatal checkups, etc.  Maybe it's not for everyone, but I loved it and would highly recommend it.

My question:  insurance?  That had to be one hefty hospital bill and I imagine the Vuolos don't have health insurance. They probably have a medical sharing type plan.  That will be one fun bill to dispense!

I had midwives attached to an OB practice, too. The OB did my csection with my first, but my three vbacs were handled by the midwives, even with them being large babies and the two youngest coming out face up. 

Jinger may have chosen to travel to get the combination of midwife care in a hospital setting. I moved to another city when I was pregnant with my fourth, but kept driving back to the other practice and delivered at their hospital because they provided the model of care I wanted.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I agree. It's really possible that rental car inventories could be low where they were renting, and mid-size or full-size might have meant a Benz. It's bigtime summer vacation season, plus there have been hailstorms in some areas (damaged vehicles -> locals renting cars) and other events that have increased demand for rentals. It can have a domino effect. Last week it was on the news that because of some awful hailstorms in this state, rental car companies were scrambling to ship more vehicles here from other states. 

It's also possible the Benz was recently purchased by the Duggar used car biz, although the out of state plates would be a puzzler in that case. If JB has anything, he has cars!

The Benz was rented in late November. Inventory could have been low due to the holiday weekend.

• Love 1
On 8/12/2018 at 10:26 AM, lookeyloo said:

I was born a long time ago and my mother drank a beer before nursing me, as advised by her doctor and older women to let down her milk, so they said. Maybe she didn't even need it.  She wasn't a beer drinker as I remember her.  Imagine if that were suggested to any of the Duggar girls.  I'm not advocating or saying it was the right thing to do.  Except I was a "charmingly" plump baby.  translate - fat.

The foam from darker beers helps with milk production. Nowadays it's suggested to drink that part only---unofficially of course. 

On 8/13/2018 at 6:58 PM, Madtown said:

Big pink bow and all...

Well it didn't take long for Jinger's parenting to be slammed and the comments turned off I see. 

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, Loves2Dance said:

The foam from darker beers helps with milk production. Nowadays it's suggested to drink that part only---unofficially of course. 

Well it didn't take long for Jinger's parenting to be slammed and the comments turned off I see. 

What were people saying? 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Heathen said:

What were people saying? 

The bow is a choking hazard and the car seats straps are not where they should be. I guarantee it'll be the last picture of Felicity in a car seat we ever see. 

4 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

That the bow was incredibly hideous?

That it was a choking hazard, it's not really hideous. To be honest, given that they're in Texas, that bow is super small compared to what a lot of babies in Texas wear. 

Edited by Loves2Dance
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Heathen said:

If Felicity, age three weeks and with her hands in mittens, is capable of pulling that bow down and into her mouth, I'm...Grandma Duggar. 

You can't be Grandma Duggar, we all know she isn't allowed out of the laundry room. And I mostly agree with that sentiment that it really isn't a choking hazard. 

• Love 12

My 6 lb self-baby was brought home from the hospital in a shoe box.  My mom never said if I rode on her lap or on the floor!

My 38 yo oldest kid was born just after baby carseats became available.  I bought him one before he was born.  A Bobby Mac. My dad drove us home from the hospital and he said he couldn't believe I was going to put this newborn baby in that carseat!  He insisted I hold him for the 30 minute drive home.  With snow on the ground!  And I did!

I can't get over how much Felicity looks like Jinger!  But that carseat photo is not really a flattering photo and of all the cute exprressions newborns make, why post that one?

Edited by louannems
  • Love 5

Ya'll are too funny! My kids are under 10 so they were born during the extended rear-facing, extended 5 pt harnesses blow up. And I did all of that and they're still in boosters. But, I'll never forget the MP who did our car seat check when oldest was a few months old. I'm not know for having the cleanest car in the world---it's not dirty, but it's certainly messy and I always had a lot of stuff in the backseat. Well he scolded me for it because if anything became a projectile in an accident and hit her in the face, she could potentially go blind. For as carseat safety conscious as I was, I never thought about that aspect of it. Now my car is typically spotless. 

That said, in regards to Jinger, I definitely don't think we'll see anymore carseat pictures from her. She isn't going to risk another tongue lashing.

Edited by Loves2Dance
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Of all the many forms of parent-shaming we see, car seat safety suprematism is the one that bugs me the most. I’m not even sure why. Maybe because the guidelines change approximately every 6 months so whatever people are smugly lecturing each other about will probably be outdated by the time they finish typing their self-satisfied comments. I’m also really glad I grew up before they started telling people to keep their kids in a booster seat until sophomore year of college or 275 lbs, whichever comes last. It all seems a bit excessive to me, but then I’ve always been the horrible type of person who doesn’t think babies are inherently more valuable than other human beings...

This made me laugh.  I know car seats are needed and back when I was a kid we prob should have had them.  That said, one of Mr. Natalie's most fond moments as a 6 year old was when his babysitter (Gino) would pick him up from school in his hot rod and he would be in the backseat sliding from one end to the other on the slick seats while Gino negotiated curves.   Gino also donated all his old tires to the school for tire swings.  Frankly I am surprised many of us survived childhood based on how lax things were.  

Felicity is cute.  I am glad that they live far away from the TTH.  It probably is best they never allow comments on pics.  Everyone has an opinion (including me!).

• Love 10

Funnily enough car seats have been around since the 30s.  Well they were kiddie seats to put in cars not so much intended for safety.  That came around 1962.  The first standards were in 1971.  By 1975 it was considered normal where we lived to use them.  I'd hate to think people were watching our installation of those early seats and our second learned very early how to disconnect the harness and climb out.  We had to manufacture our own version of a child proof harness.  Jinger has had a tough lesson for today's world.  Almost anyone who posts a photo of a child in a car or a car seat will get criticism from someone online.  But then just wait for the lambasting about the cake at Felicity's first birthday.  :)

• Love 5
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Lmfao, I used to love lighting cigarettes for my babysitter using the car lighter while she drove. For some reason it made me feel super grown-up. Could you imagine that nowadays? Kid in the front seat and second-hand smoke? The poor woman would probably be sent to some Siberian gulag and banned from ever watching children again. 

My mom used to leave me in the VW van while she went grocery shopping.  She came out of the store once and I was lighting a cig butt from the ashtray.  I was 6.  Didn't stop her from leaving me in the car alone. HILARIOUS!

• Love 15

Oh wow!  I remember fighting with my sister over who would get to ride (on long trips) on that shelf behind the rear seat and rear window.  Prime real estate!!  

There are 13 yrs (and 3 lifetimes) between my middle and last child.  By the time #3 came along, there was definitely a car seat, and it faced rear.  At my place of business, there was a man who would come around every couple weeks and pick up my car and go clean it up for me.  One morning after a car-clean day, I was on my way to work and had slam on my brakes suddenly - and the unattached car seat flipped over and wedged between the rear seat and mine.  To make matters worse, the baby (maybe 8 or so months old) didn’t cry out or cry.  I was pretty sure I’d killed him.  Genius car cleaner didn’t hook the seat back in, and genius mommy never checked.  When I pulled over and jumped out, the seat was perfectly wedged with the baby hanging face down and giggling.  I have a million of those stories, yes...and am SO thankful I was never even a little tiny bit “known”.  I’m just sort of loosely put together, and am truly thankful the kids survived me.  I’m not even being facetious, I really mean that.  

felicity’s little scrunched up face - I’ve seen better pics of her already - she’s still in that stage where everybody oooh’s and aaah’s while secretly thinking she looks like Yoda or ET.  I wonder if she’s a good baby?  Jeremy hasnt posted anything more on not sleeping, has he?  Dare he?  

In other news - I saw a post this morning on fb where my DIL told someone she had really wanted to home birth their last (second) child.  Dear God in Heaven.  I can’t even look.  

• Love 15

I still can’t believe there are 10 year olds in booster seats?. And I guess kids haven’t sat in the front seat for 15 years, they all appear to be chauffeured around now. 

And kids these days are all overdressed. Babies are routinely dressed in three layers  

I’m old, I’m 35.

Edited by kokapetl
  • Love 18

In our state, children only have to be in boosters until they reach age 8 or 4'9" whichever they hit FIRST.  So we have no 10 year olds that need to be in boosters here.  Hopefully the Vuolos have seen fit offline to look into the proper use of their carseats.  

Edited by Absolom

My kids all used car seats. I'm remembering their infants seats being in more of a reclining position so their little heads naturally laid back, rather than falling forward. I can barely see how little Felicity is secured in her seat because of her blanket, so I'm unsure why she got slammed on social media. 

• Love 5

From what I saw it looked like Felicity was really scrunched down and her chin was practically on her chest. Maybe it was a bad angle, but it looked like an uncomfortable position. I wonder if people were commenting on that as opposed to the harness.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, DkNNy79 said:

Ugh, I hate bows on baby girls, especially the ones that are half the size of the baby's face. 

I also hate them, as they are such gender crap., e.g., “This is a girly girly GIRL.” When I see a bow, I always like to turn to the parents and say, “Oh, he’s so handsome!”

Edited by Petrichor
Spelling
  • Love 20