Type keyword(s) to search

Is it really a spoiler if it is on the Lifetime website as a promotional ad?  Despite his charm, I'm not watching this episode until I find out who wins so I know how much blood pressure medicine I need.  This show has tested my limited patience.

Edited by dialyn
  • Love 1

6 1/2 hours to go.  I have a huge,  Asha lips-sized knot in the pit of my stomach and it is NOT comfortable.  I bought an entire box of wine (cheap, chillable red) for tonight's viewing.  I couldn't even force myself to buy a decent bottle.  *heavy sigh*

I haven't watched any of the PR reunions in several seasons.  I really don't want to hear the exact same things I've heard all season:  

1. I need to step it up.

2. This is the hardest thing I've ever done.  

3. It's so difficult with the time constraints.  

4. The pressure is really intense.   

5. _________ doesn't belong here. He/She needs to go. 

Etc, etc, etc....The same crap every time and EXCUSES, EXCUSES, EXCUSES.  

• Love 1

Oscar won (yay)!

I need to watch again later this week but on first impression, they all had at least one garment I liked, even Asha.  In fact, I actually liked a couple of her pieces.  Sam, not so much.  To me, his work comes off kind of bland and forgettable.  I was very disappointed with Shan's collection.  Based on his past work in the show, I expected something more "wow" from him.  Except for the gorgeous red jumpsuit, each piece looked too busy.  And Oscar - I loved everything in his collection - not a miss in the bunch.

YAY!!!!    The best ending possible.

THE line of the night from NPH - Describing Asha's line....."I got 1920's Carnie Couture"......*ROFL*

Personally, I got 1770's French whore mixed with a Donna Summer impersonator.

• Love 6

Well I'll be damned...the person who I thought should win did win.  Hardly ever happens...especially with this franchise.  Congrats to Oscar!  You know that there are hordes of actresses and other high profile women out there who would love to wear his designs.  Hell I would, if I was about five inches taller and 120 lbs.  He's just such a sweetie, it is just wonderful to see someone who truly is humble and talented win. 

As soon as Sam opened his mouth about couture I knew he was dead in the water.  Not that his collection wasn't nice, it was okay, but that was the kiss of auf to Heidi.  There's nothing wrong with ready to wear, but he's not even there quite yet.  Shan I think will benefit from the attention he's going to get from the show, and he'll go far as well.

So glad Asha didn't win.  Nefertiti in Harlem?  Hell, Foxy Brown wouldn't be caught dead in those clothes.      

• Love 4

Never so happy to be wrong. I am surprised Shan's place last, but I was so afraid Asha would be pushed to a win.  Oscar was a steady competitor all through this show...good for him! And good for Nick, who weathered his own bad times on the show.  I'm glad to shut the door on this show.

• Love 1

Thank God that travesty of a competition is over. The moment when Jen and Zanna were kowtowing to Asha about her incredible creativity made me slightly nauseous. I honestly don't think either of those women should ever be allowed anywhere near a situation where fashion judgment is required. I do think that NPH and Heidi were probably the controlling opinions in the room and I am glad that resulted in Oscar taking the win. I was afraid Tim questioning his "taste level" at the beginning of the show was a bad omen.

And please, PR, no more eighties fashion revival. If I see one more bare midriff, jumpsuit or projectile shoulder line, I am going to swear off all fashion TV and spend the rest of my life dressing exclusively out of the LL Bean catalogue. (It's OK, I'm from Maine.)

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 7

YAY!!!!    The best ending possible.

THE line of the night from NPH - Describing Asha's line....."I got 1920's Carnie Couture"......*ROFL*

Personally, I got 1770's French whore mixed with a Donna Summer impersonator.

Her colors were rich and pretty, but other than that I was yawning.

I really thought the fix was in for Asha. Oscar's win was a pleasant surprise. Speaking of surprises, Mondo really thought that he had the win locked in. He was a weak mentor, but still better than Anya.  I have zero respect for Anya, even less now then when she won a design competition despite being unable sew.

Edited by terrymct
  • Love 1

I loved that the dimwitted judges actually asked, "so what are the judging criteria?".  

I still don't get the point of the mentors here.  When Tim asked them how they were going to approach the final challenge as a mentor, Anya said something like, "I'm just going to let Shan do what he does."  Ok...then I could be Shan's mentor, too!  (I'm not ripping on Anya.  I actually like her.)  I think the mentors should have had some input.  Nick went overboard, but maybe they should have had more of a say in the concepts, fabric choices, etc...kind of like a creative director in a fashion house.  As it is, I don't understand why Nick gets a prize for giving commentary on Oscar's work.

Mondo telling anybody their look is "costume-y" is hysterical to me.

I've always loved Heidi as a judge, but Zanna's and Jen's uselessness made me appreciate her even more.  

Edited by Snaporaz
  • Love 1

Was very disappointed in Shan's collection. I liked a lot if the work he did this season, but didn't care for his collection at all. Part of that is probably that I don't like lace, but even the non-lace look wasn't great.

Wasn't over the moon with Oscar's, but I'm glad he won. His positive attitude was the one bright spot in this train wreck of a show.

I actually liked a couple of Sam's looks, which surprised me, since I generally haven't liked his work. Didn't care for the neon at all, but liked the jacket.

Asha's collection was a hot mess. The fabric looked like vintage curtains, except the velvet which was velvet.....

I'd rank them Oscar, Sam, Shan, Asha

Definitely think Heidi & NPH were the voices of reason saving us from an Asha win.

Someone should find whatever it was that Mondo was wearing and burn it and then burn the ashes.

• Love 3

First of all, I am so happy Oscar won! On one hand it's unexpected, since the judges ragged on him so much, but then again, obviously the editing was building up to the whole 'redemption for Oscar and Nick' arc.

Thank goodness Heidi and NPH were there. Without their input we may have seen an Asha win. I mean, if judging the finale is about picking Most Improved Designer, then, sure, OK, give it to Asha, whatever. But I thought the Project Runway franchise was about looking for the MVP. If I want to watch people growing and improving from mediocre I can drop by the local fashion school and watch a student mid-term show.

re: Asha: cannot STAND her and didn't want her to win. But then I saw her sketches, and I had to admit, they looked awesome. But I don't know what the hell happened when it came to execution. NPH hit the nail on the head regarding her work. It was also amusing watching her family's reaction to her work. Her emotionless sister looked especially unimpressed. Even her mom tried to hide her disappointment. I had to rewind to look again but they weren't impressed. Only her boyfriend managed to pull off the Applause of Unconditional Support.

This competition should have been between Shan and Oscar for the win. But yep, Shan made a big stumble. I didn't hate his collection but it sure wasn't my favourite. I think if he had been on PR: Original Recipe, with th 5-6 weeks to make a full collection, he would have come up with something stronger. Well, that's what he gets for signing on for this trainwreck of a show - he and all the other designers had the opportunity to wait for a guaranteed spot on the next season of PR.

Sam did fine. His collection didn't have enough drama for the final runway, but if given the 5-6 weeks from PR, I'm sure he would have come up with a more exciting collection. It may not have won but would still probably have been more exciting.

Edited by fivestone

I'm glad Heidi was there to get Tim to clarify (haha) how to judge.  Thank goodness that Heidi and NPH were there tonight.  I am so glad NPH didn't slobber over Asha's collection like the rest.  Just bleah!  YMMV.  Glad Oscar won.  I could have sworn he said he won Under the Gumm.  I really hope Mondo buys some real clothes soon.  

• Love 2

re: Asha: cannot STAND her and didn't want her to win. But then I saw her sketches, and I had to admit, they looked awesome. But I don't know what the hell happened when it came to execution. NPH hit the nail on the head regarding her work. It was also amusing watching her family's reaction to her work. Her emotionless sister looked especially unimpressed. Even her mom tried to hide her disappointment. I had to rewind to look again but they weren't impressed. Only her boyfriend managed to pull off the Applause of Unconditional Support.

Better yet, did you see the reaction of one of Shan's sons to Asha's collection?  OMG, a look of horror that was both hilarious and highly appropriate.  The young man has a big future in front of him.    All three of Shan's kids were so cute.

Edited by terrymct
  • Love 2

kelslamu, frankly, I don't care what clothes Mondo wears in the future! He can run around naked, since I hope to never... ever wish to see his bitchy face again! Aaaaaack, just typing that gives me the horrible mental image, and makes my eyes burn. 

To reiterate what many others have said: thank the gods Heidi and NPH were there as guest judges. I'm so happy for Oscar, and I guess, Nick, by extension. My love for Tim was tarnished by original recipe PR season 12 reunion show, but it's pretty much fully gone at this point. I hope this was the first and only season of this mess.

• Love 2

So there's Mondo dressed exactly like the Hamburglar, saying a designer's look is too costumey?  I'd love to hear his inner dialogue when he put this outfit on and looked in the mirror.  "Hey wait, these pants aren't sophisticated enough.  I'd better wear shorts.  And turn the shoulders of my shirt into a kind of buttless chaps.  I'm too sexy for my hat."

Was bemused -- that's right, bemused -- by the judges asking each other what their judging criteria was going to be.  Should it go to Asha for improving so much when they didn't think she'd make it past the first few rounds?  Or should they give it to the designer who actually produced the best line?  What to do?  What a bizarre dilemma.  So in other words, should they give it to Asha because she sucks much less than she used to, or to Oscar because his work was actually good?  

Sorry to see Shan do so poorly in the finale.  I really thought it was his worst work of the season.  Too bad, he seems like a talented man and a hella nice guy. Glad that Blake/Sam did so well, but it was over once he dissed couture to the judges, especially Heidi, so that was the end of that.  Seems weird to go this far and then refuse to play the game.

• Love 3

To reiterate what many others have said: thank the gods Heidi and NPH were there as guest judges. I'm so happy for Oscar, and I guess, Nick, by extension. My love for Tim was tarnished by original recipe PR season 12 reunion show, but it's pretty much fully gone at this point. I hope this was the first and only season of this mess.

I think that the judges were a MAJOR part of the problem with this show.   Jen Rade was worse than useless.  She rarely seemed to understand the rules and apparently has some rather dubious taste.   Rachel Roy, bless her heart, her own clothing and make up choices show that she has bad taste and a weak understanding of what flattering.  She also didn't seem to "get" the rules.   Zanna Roberts Rossi would have been a weak judge on the regular Project Runway.  Here she was probably the best of the three but that's not saying much.  This group was terrible.  Bad taste.  Couldn't follow the rules.  Couldn't make a darn decision.  I think they contributed more to the downfall of this series than did the piss-poor mentors and generally weak designers.

• Love 4

I think that the judges were a MAJOR part of the problem with this show.   Jen Rade was worse than useless.  She rarely seemed to understand the rules and apparently has some rather dubious taste.   Rachel Roy, bless her heart, her own clothing and make up choices show that she has bad taste and a weak understanding of what flattering.

This.  If I go to a new salon, I won't choose a stylist whose own hair looks bad.  If you showed me these judges and I didn't know who they were, and you asked me to look at them carefully and then guess what industry they're in, I wouldn't guess that it was the fashion industry.  In contrast to Nina Garcia who -- although I wouldn't want to invite her to my house for a barbeque -- always looks so polished and effortlessly chic.  And again, in this discussion of good taste, let's not forget that one of the mentors who's advising about design dresses like an organ-grinders monkey.

I also agree with you that the judging destroyed this show.

• Love 1

I had promised myself that I would spoiler the win, and if Asha won, I would delete the episode unwatched.  So glad I was able to watch it after all, and a bonus that Asha was not a contender for the win.

Oscar was my favorite from the beginning and for once it seems my instincts were correct.  What a genuinely nice guy, absolutely drama free.  "I hope Shan wins."  "It is wonderful that all four of us will compete in the finale."  "You will help me a lot and I want you to see what you can do, too."  All in a charming accent.  I didn't mind that he repeated some looks - I thought maybe he'd want the audience of presumably influential people to see some of his best work.  Who cares that a couple of judges had seen it before?  I'm so glad he won, and hope he goes far.  Nick was over the moon, but of course he is an emotional guy and this is his first win, too.

Shan's family was adorable.  The little girl was so excited during the show, while the little boys were conked out...  too cute.  I rather liked his collection, so he was of course the first eliminated.  Normally the winning collection is one that I wouldn't be caught dead in on my best day, though I will admit I am not what you would call fashion-forward.  I wish Shan well in his future career.

I liked elements of Sam's collection as well, and was pleased he came in second, if Shan couldn't.  I wish him well, too.

I still don't get the point of the mentors here.  When Tim asked them how they were going to approach the final challenge as a mentor, Anya said something like, "I'm just going to let Shan do what he does."  Ok...then I could be Shan's mentor, too

Ha.  I had the same thought - the mentors pretty much said they'd let the designers do what they do.  I can do that from my recliner.  Come to think of it, I've been mentoring all the designers from the first show.

As someone else said, the line of the night: "I got 1920's carny couture." in response to Asha's collection  As soon as Neil Patrick Harris said that, I was like, "Exactly!"  I couldn't put my finger on the right description for Asha's looks, but NPH got it right, absolutely on the nose.  The rest of his crititques were spot on as well.  He was certainly one of the better celebrity judges, which I didn't necessarily expect.

So-so show, satisfying ending.

Edited by scootypuffjr
  • Love 4

Tim basically tells Rachel Ray that he, Jen, Rachel Roy and Zanna had made up their minds in advance who was going to win UTG, but Neil and Heidi didn't have the same history, had very strong opinions and basically over-ruled them. Here's the interview:: Link  It's the segment called "Where Does Tim Gunn Shop For Clothes."

So happy for Oscar, what a talented man and a lovely person. I was really expecting a pre-determined Asha win, but I think Heidi's question about the criterion put the cabash on that, thank God. I'm not always the biggest Heidi fan, but she asked that question to force the issue. Smart. NPH had insightful comments, more so than the "experts" who regularly judge this train wreck. Does anyone know if Heidi is a producer on this show?

This show has changed my opinion of Tim Gunn so much, it makes me sad. Now, if I ever run into him in NYC, rather than fainting...I'll probably just walk away.

• Love 1

Tim basically tells Rachel Ray that he, Jen, Rachel Roy and Zanna had made up their minds in advance who was going to win UTG, but Neil and Heidi didn't have the same history, had very strong opinions and basically over-ruled them. Here's the interview:: Link It's the segment called "Where Does Tim Gunn Shop For Clothes."

Pretty much cements that Tim should never be allowed to judge on original recipe PR. At this point, I'm hoping they lose his extra input and "Tim Gunn Save" as well. UTG has degraded my opinion of him to the point, I'd be fine if he was just excised from the show all together, except we'd probably get stuck with someone even worse.....like Zanna.

Edited by Joystickenvy
  • Love 1

Shan's daughter and NPH for the win. 

Shan's whole family was great. I hope he goes far. I liked Shan's lace tights and the jacket details. I liked the idea of Asha's kimono, loved the purple of Oscar's dress... Sam's clothes looked like something out of the surf-brand shops from the late 80's, maybe it's just that neon. 

Oscar's win was well-deserved. His collection didn't really move me, but his craftsmanship is undeniable. Good for him! Nick grates on me, but all of the mentors do. My Tim view is a bit tarnished, but... he's human. 

So I followed your link, Ketzel, and watched the Tim Gunn interview (even though it required me to listen to Rachel Ray).  I can't decide whether he meant that he and the designers had talked about their favorites and had an expectation going into the finals that a particular designer would have the winning collection, or whether they made up their minds as a group after the finals and based on the entire season's body of work.  He said that their choice was overruled.  Now I'm wondering who it was that Tim and the other judges wanted to win.  Clearly it isn't Oscar.  Do you think they planned to give it to Asha, since she improved over the season?  Because that would have been quite a steaming pile.  Going from Really Sucks to Sucks Much Less doesn't do it for me.  Was it Brad/Sam, who came in second?  I don't think it could have been Shan because I'd think that even overruled, their first choice wouldn't end up in last place.

• Love 1

FineWashables, I assume that Sam is the one the judges wanted to win.  Fresh! Young! (Boring!)  Actually, I liked Sam's collection, but it really wasn't for the runway, it was for the stores.  That was his POV and I admire him for sticking to it, but I didn't think he should win for simply standing strong.

This finale satisfied partially because we had two GOOD judges who had absolutely no history with the designers.  All the regular judges come in with their mind made up, whether they know it or not.  Oscar makes "old" clothes and has had taste issues, so he wasn't going to win.  Unfortunately for them (luckily for us), strong willed guest judges judged purely on the design and execution, not on the back story or other emotional reaction.

They should do this with regular PR.  Bring in some truly tasteful and opinionated judges who will look at the final collections objectively.  It would improve the show for us, but may be an ego buster for the regular judges, so it will never happen.

• Love 5

Yay for Oscar!  Thank goodness Heidi was one of the judges!  I could tell she and NPH did not care about what happened before, they wanted to judge on what they saw.  So thank you, Heidi, for getting to the point: what are the judging criteria? and sticking to it. I can hear her saying, "But if we are judging on the collections we saw tonight, then clearly Oscar is the winner.  I didn't see Asha's past work so I can't judge on how much she improved." When I saw Asha's collection I thought Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and ribbon candy.  Sam's was OK.  I liked his jacket and it had cohesion.  I didn't think Shan's was so bad.  I think he ran out of steam at the end.  But Oscar's was the best.  He kind of reminded me of Dimitry and I've liked him ever since the team challenge early in the season.

During normal Project Runway there is that gap between the final challenge and the runway collection, so I think the judges have a fresh look at the designers and are less influenced by past work and who improved the most.

Edited by Lamb18
  • Love 1

I don't really have an issue with taking the whole season into account in deciding a winner, but I don't get the infatuation with the "growth arc."

My main issue with the judging on original recipe is the judges almost always latch on to a particular pet designer who can do no wrong in their eyes and it's usually one very specific type of designer and it's annoying.

• Love 1

Yes, Joystickenvy, your  second sentence is exactly what I meant.  The judges have a history with the designers, and already have formed an opinion about who is best (same as who is their pet--I'm looking at you Anya).  Such is life, but they need a few other objective judges, someone whose voices will be heard (like Heidi & NPH) to even things out for the designers that the judges have already decided could never win.

• Love 1

Yeah, ditto on the "growth arc."  And while we're at it, I don't care at all about the story a designer is trying to tell with their collection.  Look, when I go to buy a piece of clothing, I care if it's flattering, fits well, is well-made, and affordable.  That's it.  Don't give a damn if the designer's brother is a crossdresser or the mother has irritable bowel syndrome.  Don't care if the collection is intended to portray recollections of a sophomore field trip.  

• Love 2

I really thought Asha's collection was the worst.  I don't think there was one outfit in her collection that I liked.  For me, Oscar's looks were so far above everyone else's (although Sam had a few pieces I liked).  And based on the audience's enthusiastic clapping, they agreed with me so obviously I'm right!  Yeah for Heidi and NPH for being so forceful and overruling the original 3.

Who knew that after all the bullshit episodes, they'd actually get it right?  Agree with everyone who's suggested that it was Heidi and NPH who undoubtedly made the difference.  These judges almost make me miss the Duchess and Nina Garcia, who, while frequently insufferable, never required lessons or instruction on judging criteria.

Now that Heidi's here, when does real PR start up again?  

• Love 1

I really would have liked to see more of the judging deliberations. Good for Oscar. I liked Asha's collection the least, but I agree that Sam's was the 2nd best.

The regular judges were just horrible. I hope to never have to see any of them again. Tim needs to stay on PR or they should resurrect his show where he helps women dress. No more of this show.

• Love 1

Things I loved about the finale

1. Oscar winning

2. Asha losing

3. Asha losing

4. Oscar saying he just won "Under the Gum"

5. Heidi - who I never appreciated as much as I did until tonight

6. Asha losing

7. NPH's critique of Asha's collection- Queen Nefertiti (sp) would not be walking around in Harlem in a jump suit with a saggy butt

• Love 6

I don't really have an issue with taking the whole season into account in deciding a winner, but I don't get the infatuation with the "growth arc.

As I said at TWOP, there was no other plot on this show other than Uncle Nick's growth arc, so there was no other possible ending for the show.  He's the only one of the mentors who hadn't already won Project Runway so there was no reason to cast him at all otherwise.  His "development" from Shitty Mentor that none of the designers wanted to work with to Awesome Mentor that won the whole shebang WAS the story.    What a goddamned waste of time this show was. Boo.

re: Oscar: I didn't mind that he repeated some looks - I thought maybe he'd want the audience of presumably influential people to see some of his best work.  Who cares that a couple of judges had seen it before?

So much this. I think it was really smart of him. To her credit, Rachel Roy pointed out that this was likely a calculated decision from Oscar. It would have been one thing on PR: Original Recipe. Nina Garcia especially would have torn him a new one for that. But in this case, it was a great decision.

I just read that the winning designer and winning mentor did NOT each win a Lexus, as was advertised.  What they "won" was a 1-year lease of a Lexus.  Both Oscar and Nick turned it down, fearing that they might have to pay through the nose at the end of the year for each and every little ding in the car.

So this show was not only bad, it was cheap!   The only good thing is that the right person won.  Three cheers for Oscar, Nick, Heidi, and NPH!

• Love 1

During normal Project Runway there is that gap between the final challenge and the runway collection, so I think the judges have a fresh look at the designers and are less influenced by past work and who improved the most.

Lamb18 - I agree. The designers were hampered by the lack of time both in planning and sewing and also in the judges perspectives. It's only been 4 days since the last challenge if I calculated correctly. Although the designers should have been prepared coming in to the show with what they wanted to create for a final collection. They showed so little of the preparation compared to PR and that was a missing element for me.

Overall I liked Oscar's collection the best. Did not like the black dress with two slits the first time he did it and even less when it didn't fit well. The rest of his collection I did really enjoy. 

Tim Gunn has been guesting on How I Met Your Mother all season as Barney's suit guy so that may be why Neil Patrick Harris was guest judge.