Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

Cold Open: Okay, starting with Trump. Loved that little bit with "John Miller." and of course here's Chris Christie in tow being a desperate scumbag. (Hey, I'm NY, I don't like either of these guys). It was good to see Jay's Ben Carson one last time. For now.

Monologue: Yeah, Drake's been meme'd a lot lately and they covered most of their bases (favorite being the one with Leslie Jones, of course). I'll be honest, it might be the acoustics, or that he's edited to hell, but I don't think Drake is all that good of a singer here.

Premium Rent-A-Car: Meh. Apparently Drake and Jay talking weird was supposed to be funny? I'm with Beck & Vanessa, I had no clue what was going on. Was the fact that the sketch was set in Portland explain their voices?

American Ninja Warrior: Okay, Bobby kept on failing was funny, especially when he just decided to try to run on the water. Either way, meh.

It's a Sexy Kinda Evening: Don't know what's werider, the show's odd obsession with the Lawrence Welk Show a few years back, or that they think PBS shows awkward Cinemax rejects? That intro could've been anything, yet they chose PBS, which raises further questions.

Baby Boss: It's been a while since we've seen this one. They want him to run for president?! I'm sold, and I'm certain he'd win against Hillary and Trump.

WU: Trump, awful potential president, but excellent comedy fodder. I also lovef the bit about Bathroom Bill. And hey, Leslie Jones mentioned that ninja sketch from a few weeks back! I love Leslie Jones so much, she was great here. (Also, still can't believe she's 48. She looks fantastic)

Black Jeopardy: Hey, a sketch without any white people. Well, Drake's Canadian, so that's close enough. Drake's character not getting Eddie Murphy definitely earned him all the scorn from the others. 

Drake's Beef: I was right, Drake does sound better when he's been through sound mixing. But man, this was so underwhelming, but who hasn't thought like Drake when someone slighted us?

Spring Fling: Creepy Chaperone was Creepy. And apparently his future self is Hulk Hogan? Weird.

Man, everyone, especially the writers, were probably like me and forgot there was a show tonight. I felt a real "let's phone it it" vibe tonight. Next week's the season finale with Fred Armisen, and expect loads of cameos. It'll be better than this.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

WU: Trump, awful potential president, but excellent comedy fodder. I also lovef the bit about Bathroom Bill. And hey, Leslie Jones mentioned that ninja sketch from a few weeks back! I love Leslie Jones so much, she was great here. (Also, still can't believe she's 48. She looks fantastic)

Weekend Update was kind of on fire.  Consistently strong jokes by Michael and Colin, and great "guests."  "[Sneeze.]  God bless you. // He never has and he never will."

Leslie is 48?!?!  Holy smokes, I thought that she was younger than I was.  She looks amazing.  I'm sorry to hear that she tore her ACL, though.  Ouch.

And Jay's impressions were, per usual, a wonder.  He and Drake were very cute, too.

• Love 7
(edited)

I don't know.  I liked it.  Drake is the best kind of host- full of energy and charismatic as hell.  The only thing I was really not feeling was the last sketch.  But yeah, Drake is such a natural at this that Timberlake is probably saying, "Hey slow down there Bud."   Drake  just needs a signature "Bring it on Down to --ville" style recurring sketch.

Loved the Ninja Warrior sketch mocking all the hard luck stories that everyone has to have on competitive reality shows more than I can say.

Also loved Leslie's callback to her Ninja sketch and Olga's line that God has never blessed her.

Even the cold open, which was pretty average, probably hit on a certain truth I think with Christie's desperation.  No doubt he wants the job.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 4
(edited)
47 minutes ago, Toaster Strudel said:

Baby Boss and Ninja Warrior were the only bright spots in a lackluster installment.

For me those sketches were the low points.

Black Jeopardy was amazing.  I also loved the recorded sketch where "Back 2 Back" plays and Drake gets mad at every single cast member.  For me, those were the two highlights.

But I also really liked the monologue, Weekend Update, the thing with Drake being a chaperone at a dance, and his music performances.

I can't even imagine my reaction if Rihanna had shown up and performed "Too Good".  You'd have to declare me dead and I'd declare it the best of the year.

Drake is *too* good at this.  I had strong feelings he'd incorporate a lot of Canadian humoUr and he didn't disappoint.  I love this man.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
(edited)

Drake was great in his sketches. But I think he always is much like Timberlake. There were some really funny moments. The performers sold the sketches because there were a few with really bizarre and not-quite funny premises. I blame the writers for what didn't work.

Baby Boss and the chaperon thing really really didn't work for me.

ETA: I fear Drake's success on things like SNL added to his rapping (and dancing???) success and Degrassi have convinced him that's he's a quadruple threat. No more singing, please.

Edited by LJonEarth
  • Love 2

I liked the baby sketch because I feel like it has been a long time since we had seen it and it was only brought out because of the twist they had on on it.  Drake and Paul Ryan were really solid in reacting to him.

WU was on fire this week.  Almost every joke they did landed for me and made me laugh.  Even though Kate is great, I had grown a bit tired of this character but the Trump/Puntin angle gave her such great fodder.  Leslie Jones's bit was almost as inspirational as it was funny. 

And that Doe v. Wade joke?  It was so simple yet so great that I want to marry it.

• Love 4

WU was on fire this week.  Almost every joke they did landed for me and made me laugh.

Colin brought it home for me with his oh so innocent query, "Were there any rappers that I like?"    I'm not sure why it made me howl, but it did.

Black Jeopardy may be the best recurring sketch right now.  It's always gold, and I like the spin Drake brought to it.  It was also interesting that Kenan's host didn't recognize the name "Drake". 

• Love 5
(edited)

I liked the part of "Dennis Walls and the Cookies" when they were on the spinning circular bed.

Love that Drake made fun of himself for having beefs with people.

Beyond all reason the last sketch where Drake plays a character that looks and talks like Hulk Hogan(specifically WCW "Hollywood Hogan" era) chaperoning a middle school dance ended up being my favorite. "Hey, people are people brother!"

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, vb68 said:

Colin brought it home for me with his oh so innocent query, "Were there any rappers that I like?"    I'm not sure why it made me howl, but it did.

"Were there any rappers that I like?" and that it was Will Smith combined with Michael's confused stank face was hysterical. WU was on fire; all the guests were great, the bathroom bill part was hilarious, and I especially liked the run of jokes about how Trump's answers sound like he's playing fast money on Family Feud. And I could watch Jay do rapid-fire impressions all day; when he did Drake to his face, it reminded me of my favorite Vinny  Veddici sketch where Bill Hader did a spot-on Seth Rogan impression right in front of him. 

I enjoyed this episode for the most part; Drake is just such a natural at this. I think my favorite sketch was the Drake beefs one, with the American Ninja Warrior as a close second.  And even though it didn't get big laughs from the audience, I laughed pretty hard at the "Are you crying because Osama Bin Laden said you were a good guy?" and "You wouldn't stop the murders??" lines in the chaperone sketch. 

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 3

I don't know.  I liked it.  Drake is the best kind of host- full of energy and charismatic as hell.  The only thing I was really not feeling was the last sketch.  But yeah, Drake is such a natural at this that Timberlake is probably saying, "Hey slow down there Bud."   Drake  just needs a signature "Bring it on Down to --ville" style recurring sketch.

Actually, that is a pretty on-the-nose comparison. I do think Timberlake and Drake are good hosts on SNL for the reasons you said, but I've also realized the problem I have with Timberlake is also the problem I have with Drake: ingrained-need-to-be-liked and a certain Mama's Boy insincerity that makes their boastfulness and smugness palatable. They were both precocious child stars who turned into handsome and wealthy young men who don't have to try as hard as they do, but it makes them endearing that they obviously still care about the judgment of the public.

The cold open was kinda funny, but I don't think I agree with the point. Not to get too far off topic, but has anyone noticed that we're not really talking about Chris Christie anymore? He dropped out, he endorsed Trump with that weird "I Need To Fart But Don't Want To Make Noise" look on his face, and then he just went back to NJ. I don't doubt he wants a position in Trump's cabinet if he wins, but I think there's a certain savviness in moving on once things don't go your way. Christie hasn't had a protracted period of public lamentation the way other candidates have. Even if he looked defeated by quickly endorsing Trump, in the end, compared to most of the other candidates, he looks a little less bitchy and embarrassing.

Anyway, back to Drake. Drake did good for the most part. I thought his opening monologue went on maaaybe 27 seconds too long, but overall it was good. I liked the Baby Boss skit the best, I think, just because it's so ridiculous and Beck Bennett does a good job with that. He really has the annoying baby thing down. It's not something I'd want to see every week, but whenever they do it's funny. When he got on the floor and started scribbling on those papers I laughed.

Weekend Update was funny. For some reason, whenever Colin Jost smiles, I smile back. He just has one of those faces. I still think he kinda looks like those skits where they cut the mouth off a picture and it's just somebody's mouth moving.

The musical performances weren't great. When Drake is mixed correctly, he sounds better at that not-quite-singing, not-quite-rapping thing he does.

• Love 1
(edited)

So I watched last night's episode and I'm still fuzzy on where Drake's from.

JK.
The car rental skit seemed a little too lowkey, like they should have gotten more absurd sooner.
Is Sasheer just not writing or pitching sketches enough? She was in maybe two sketches last night (Prom; Black Jeopardy) and seems like not much lately. Cecily didn't work as well as Late for me in the Cookies sketch. Maybe Sasheer would have been better.
Sorry to hear about Leslie's knee injury during her ninja sketch, which was so funny. Always love her on WU.
The banter between Drake and - who was it - Beck? - during the Ninja sketch seemed flat. I don't watch the show so maybe that's what it's really like, but it seemed like Drake's depressed guy should have been countered with a more manic guy.
In awe of Jay's WU bit. He has such a good ear.
Drake's always reliable. On a related note, some of that choreography for his back-up dancers was not good. Were they meant to look sexy hunchbacks?

Edited by lulee
  • Love 2

I don't know too much about Drake. What was the thing with Rhianna? Is there a thing with her? Also, does he have a beef with a lot of people?

Anyway, I generally liked this ep, sometimes loved it.

The cold open was ok. Nothing special, though I do love Bobby as Christie and, well, as anyone.

The monologue wasn't that great to me. All the stuff with the memes seemed pretty lazy. I liked the very first one with him playing racquetball, but basically... meh. Also, his singing sounded bad.

Now onto the good stuff. I really liked the rent-a-car sketch. I thought Drake's character was well done, though he should have left out the toothpick. At first I didn't care for Jay's accent. I was afraid when he walked out that he was going to be some kind of cliche gay person, so I'm glad that didn't happen. Anyway, the interaction betw him and Drake was good.

I LOVED the American Ninja Warrior sketch. I've never been a regular watched. I only watched a few eps when I heard about a woman who was amazing on it. Bobby was fantastic. I knew he was going to wipe out right away, but it was still hilarious. He was amazing as he tried to run across the water. OMG. Just out and out great. There were a couple of lines from Beck and Drake (sounds like a Nickelodeon show) that I liked -- "How are you, by the way?" "I'm depressed. No reason really." And later, "I hate to say it, but that looks like an I'm-peeing face."

I also loved the Sexy Evening with Dennis Walls. All three -- Drake, Kate, Cecily -- were great. 

Baby Boss! Loved it. I was cracking up when he was on the floor with the paper.

It was also good to see Olya again. "Colin. Black Colin." Loved when she said that every 10 years Trump comes to her village for a new wife. Also funny was that she's jealous of Melania because "I see in her eyes that she is truly dead." The segment on the bathroom bills was good, and Colin's line about Bathroom Bill sounding like a restaurant pervert was perfect.

I didn't care for Jay's rappers bit. Of course I don't know how those rappers sound, so that probably affected my reaction... y'think?

Black Jeopardy was good, not great.

LOVED Drake's Beef. It starts out legitimate then escalates into silliness.

The final sketch was bad. 

Overall, fun and well-done.

In an earlier thread I had said that I didn't like it when the actors broke. That said, Drake being on the verge of breaking throughout that last sketch was the only thing that made me laugh at it.

After a decidedly rocky start, Michael & Colin have really come into their own. It's kind of amazing.

Yeah, but I'm still annoyed that Cecily got bumped. I thought she was good. (Unless of course she *wanted* off. I don't know if there's a back story.)

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I don't know too much about Drake. What was the thing with Rhianna? Is there a thing with her? Also, does he have a beef with a lot of people?

He is featured in a Rihanna song, "Work", which he was parodying.

(edited)

Yeah, but I'm still annoyed that Cecily got bumped. I thought she was good. (Unless of course she *wanted* off. I don't know if there's a back story.)

She says she did want off in this interview with The Wrap:

My one issue with the whole ‘Update’ thing was only the way that it was going to be torn apart in the press — you know, a thing that I was actually happy about. I almost feel like I’m in a lucky position that I got to do it and got to flex that muscle. And then got to have a talk with Lorne, and got to have power in my [career] and say, ‘I want to do sketches more than anything on the show.'

“Coming from that I knew, ‘OK … it’s going to be spun however in the press,'” she said. “I’m going to have an uphill battle.”

“It was a thing where, like, I’m not going to say ‘No’ to it,” Strong said of anchoring “Update” segment. “It’s such an honor to do ‘Update.'”

“But then it became clear — especially towards the end of the year, when Seth [Meyers] left — that, ‘Oh, now it’s going to need a lot more work and a lot more of my time and attention,'” she explained. “And that means taking away from this other thing that I actually really, really love even more.”

Also love in "Drake's Beef" the random mentions of Josh Gad!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 4

I appreciate that Cecily said she was glad she tried and left WU in order to do sketches, because she's great in sketches. She creates good characters. I never really liked her as an anchor.

• Love 1

I didn't know if that was just random or if there was a reason he kept mentioning Josh Gad.

13 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

All of these Toronto, Canada references.  I'm combelling.

As of tonight I'm in love with this man!

Canadian here, so I loved all of the Canada references. I don't usually like Black Jeopardy that much, but I loved it last night (Rick Moranis...lol)!

13 hours ago, opus said:

Jaromir Jagr reference!

Again, Canadian here, so you know I loved me that hockey reference!

3 hours ago, Dee said:

After a decidedly rocky start, Michael & Colin have really come into their own. It's kind of amazing.

Update is always one of my favorite parts of the show...they have settled into a very enjoyable bro chemistry. I enjoy their banter, and think they play very well off of each other. And they have both improved so vastly in their joke delivery as well. Last night was no exception. I liked all of the guests last night too.(Black Colin! White Che!) 

Was so happy with the return of Baby Boss!! Makes me think that the writers read my post from last week in the Brie Larson/Alicia Keys thread where I said, and I quote: "Also, I'd love to see a Baby Boss sketch before the season is through." I feel so powerful. This is one of my favorite recurring sketches. Beck's mannerisms are just hilarious. I was snorting with laughter so hard at the peek-a-boo part ("Where'd he go?! Oh, there he is!"). And his baby laugh, followed by a deep voiced, "Very funny". And I howled at the reveal that his dress shirt was in the style of a baby onesie when he took his pants off. I just love this sketch so much. I know it's kind of polarizing, but it makes me laugh so hard every time. So great!

Drake really impressed me as host! I didn't watch his last episode, so wasn't sure what to expect, but he is very funny and charmng. "Drake's Beef" was hilarious. Also Bobby's physical comedy and the American Ninja Warrior sketch was perfection. And Jay's voice and pronunciation in the Rental Car sketch cracked me the hell up too... 

I loved the extra long goodbyes at the end of this episode too. It just makes my heart happy seeing everyone hug everyone and be so cute and I love how every week, Taran does that jump. 

• Love 7
19 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

All of these Toronto, Canada references.  I'm combelling.

As of tonight I'm in love with this man!

Right down to the jacket.  

I love how game he is for anything no matter how ridiculous (and some of it truly was.)   Hmmm...child actor...turns into huge music superstar...great SNL host...

Not that Justin Timberlake has anything to worry about. YET.

• Love 2

I like Drake. The episode was kind of blah. Other than American Ninja (which was obvious but still executed well) and Baby Boss (which is just kind of amusing), the other skits all seemed sort of half-there.

Kept waiting for Rental Car to go somewhere, (no pun intended), and it never did. And it felt vaguely uncomfortable that the two slacking employees were black while the outraged couple were white.

Drake's Beef's had the potential to be great, but it was too subtle. It needed to start plausible and then quickly ramp up to heights of "no respect" nuttiness. It played somewhere in the middle.

Even Black Jeopardy seemed tame. A few chuckles, and so much was left on the table.

Dennis whoever was interminable.

WU is the bit to watch every week, both for the written jokes and the banter, which can get pretty sharp.

I can't believe Drake still "dances" like that.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I laughed out loud the second time he mentioned Josh Gad because it cracked me up that Drake's standard for "hilarious comedian" was Josh Gad.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, OpieTaylor said:

about halfway through Black Jeopardy. it sounded like someone in the audience was yelling something. Anyone else hear that or know what was going on?

I noticed that. I also read a review where the writer commented on it and that it seemed to throw off a couple of the performers.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, OpieTaylor said:

about halfway through Black Jeopardy. it sounded like someone in the audience was yelling something. Anyone else hear that or know what was going on?

Yeah, I heard that too. It sounded like maybe an audience member had had a few too many and was really into the show. I'm guessing a page got him out of there asap.

It reminds me of the last Jimmy Fallon Christmas episode where there were several girls who screamed bloody murder every time Jimmy was on camera for at least the first half of the show. It really bothered me that they weren't dealt with faster.

• Love 1

I love the effort he puts in. Seriously, he was in every bit except the Cold Open (and last time he hosted he WAS in the Cold Open).

I was hoping the Disneyland employee would come back as his recurring bit (in the wrapping-ville sense) I still watch that one from time to time the way he and Nasim play off each other is fantastic, and you can actually feel his energy coming through the screen. The thing is you don't even have to play up the "cultural differences" angle every time. You could go with a completely disinterested teen (something that could be in Sasheer's wheelhouse) the overly enthusiastic but incapable Dad (Bobby), or  a Leslie, "don't tell me what to do" character.

It was a good workmanlike show with another very good Update. But none of the sketches hit the highs of Disneyland, Resolution Revolution, or Rappers before they were stars for me.

• Love 1

I liked it but I'm partial to Drake anyhow. Loved Black Jeopardy because it was also covert Canadian Jeopardy. I feel like the Kardinal Offishall shout-out had to have come from Drake himself because that's a very of the time and place reference that most people wouldn't get. And I loved the Jagr line because he is a hockey beast. That man has been playing hockey since I was a little girl and he still puts up great numbers. 

Plus the very best line of the night came there:

"You don't have to treat all Black people the same." "Tell that to the police." I died. I know Kenan's been around forever and it's probably time for him to go, but he's the best at those snappy comebacks and if this is his last season, I'll miss him for that.

I really enjoyed WU. I agree that it's been getting better and I think this was far and away they best they've been. The guests were used for the right amount of time and each had a good punchline to get them off-stage. Jost and Che seem much friendlier now and both have figured out their "character" to the point that each has a strong style.

What was up with Drake's beard in the final sketch? He'd shaved for the show so where did that come from? Was that sketch pre-taped?

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, vibeology said:

What was up with Drake's beard in the final sketch? He'd shaved for the show so where did that come from? Was that sketch pre-taped?

It wasn't a pre-taped sketch; the beard was definitely taped on, because when they got close up to the side of his face, you could see the tape near his sideburns.  I was a little confused on why that wasn't blonde as well.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
On 5/16/2016 at 10:25 PM, peeayebee said:

OK. Explain 'combelling' please. From googling I got that it's from the movie Clueless, but what did it come from word-wise?

Yes, it's from Clueless.  Just means bursting with joyful emotion.  Where did it come from?  I am sure that it came from the mind of Amy Heckerling, or her preparatory research in hanging out with early 1990s teenagers before she wrote the film.

Loved Black Jeopardy because it was also covert Canadian Jeopardy. I feel like the Kardinal Offishall shout-out had to have come from Drake himself because that's a very of the time and place reference that most people wouldn't get. 

Oddly enough, I heard Kardinal's song with Akon on Sirius' Pop2K channel the other day.  But I have to agree, I had chuckled loudly at that.  He should have thrown in a Degrassi reference for the hell of it.