Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Oathbreaker

• Start Topic

(edited)

tumblr_o6j2s7rV3F1rszoo3o2_r3_500.gif

Episode Synopsis:

Bran glimpses the past; Daenerys learns what's in store for her; Tommen faces the High Sparrow; Arya trains to be No One; Varys comes up with a solution to a vexing problem; Ramsay gets a gift.

Reminder: This is for discussion of the TV show only, no book talk allowed - including saying "but it's different in the books". Any spoiler from outside the books (i.e. next weeks preview) should be in spoiler tags.

Edited by Mya Stone
Because we can all use a little more naked Snow in our lives.
  • Love 4
(edited)

I spent the whole week dying for this episode and it did not let me down.

I repeat; nice body Kit Harrington. I hope that scar won’t stay on that pretty face. I love Davos, “good now go fail again.” That is what life is, Jon, not sure where he is running off to. Jon’s reunion with Edd was so sweet. Tormond is hysterical about seeing Jon’s pecker and what kind of god would have a pecker that small. Bwah! At least, Jon didn’t chop off their heads. The traitors got to hang. I knew that Jon wouldn’t balk. He will always be Ned Stark’s son.

Like I said last week; Melisandre will be back on her obnoxious religious track. Yes, Jon is the Prince who was Promised. I had forgotten about Sam and Gilly. It is good to see them.

Damn, the actor plays Rikon got tall. Poor Shaggy Dog. The Umbers betraying their oaths to the Starks, but I liked how the guy wouldn’t bow to Ramsey.

The sword fight was amazingly good. Dayne was indeed good. Oh Bran, nothing like discovering that your father and hero isn’t who you think he is. Why are they dragging out the discovery of Lyanna?

At last, now we know the people behind the Harpies. Tyrion was funny trying to get conversation going. I expect Daenerys’ dragons to rescue her.

So the doctor is taking over Varys’ role as the royal spy master. I am glad to see Olenna has return. Cersei and Tommen are so pathetic.  I was glad to see them walk out on her and Jaime. They want power. Let them rule by themselves. Other Tyrion, I am sick of all the Lannisters, even Jaime. I only care about Margaery and Loras now.

Arya still has the worse story.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 6

Awwww.... Shaggy Dog. ;_______;

Not going to lie, I totally forgot about Sam. Sweet that Gilly called him the father of her son.

Odd that the traitors were hanged. I thought the standard punishment was beheading.

"And now his watch is ended"

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Last Time Lord said:

Awwww.... Shaggy Dog. ;_______;

Not going to lie, I totally forgot about Sam. Sweet that Gilly called him the father of her son.

Odd that the traitors were hanged. I thought the standard punishment was beheading.

"And now his watch is ended"

Jon's not in quadruple beheading shape.

• Love 13

*Ugly crying* Oh Shaggydog, you deserved better. Poor little pup. We're down to 3 direwolves. I can't take anymore direwolf deaths, D&D!! At least they didn't show Shaggydog's death. *crying harder*

I want Ramsay's head on a spike! I want Smalljon Umber's head on a spike! What a shitty reason to turn over a frightened kid and woman to a known psycho. Poor Rickon. If Bran finds out what happened to his little brother, he's going to feel so guilty. *weeps some more* 

• Love 17

<runs around in circles>

WE GOT TO SEE JON SNOW'S BUTT!

for about a fraction of second.

The conspirators got hanged.  Guess it would have been too much of a Lincoln conspirator parallel if they were hanged bootless.  No, really.  Three of the Lincoln conspirators were hanged bootless for some reason; Victorian times were weird.

Anyway, Jon Snow looks hotter without all that fur.  I could get used to that.

Can someone fill me in on who the two people who were brought before Ramsey were?

Again, Bran, I don't give a fuck.  Ditto with Arya, but I'm more mad at Arya for wanting to forget who she is.

No Sansa :(

Daeny still looks good, even in burlap.  And Tyrion was just there this episode.  At least he didn't make a derogatory cock remark.

High Sparrow is probably the worse kind of evil - benevolent evil.  He has got Tommen wrapped around his finger through sagely grandfatherly charm and this will not end well for Tommen, especially since High Sparrow was play to Tommen's mother issues.

And is it really such a good idea to show off The Mountain to everyone, Cersei?  You might want to keep him rested for the trial by combat.

• Love 5

I didn't like this episode. It was boring. No one cares about Sam and Gilly. The episodes need to be more interesting and have more action.Where is the action?

• Love 5

OMG Shaggydog!!! NOOOOOOOOO!!!

I see Rickon's been hit with the puberty stick, he's almost unrecognizable. Hi, Osha! I'm now completely terrified for both of them. Ramsey doesn't need more things to go his way, if he doesn't get his in the most satisfying way, I'll almost be done. Almost.

Hated that the tree man (I forget his name) stopped Bran's flashback, they had better show the rest next week.

I won't care about Dany until Drogon comes to rescue her, because you don't fuck with Drogon's mummy!

Melisandre looked like she was going to pass out with disbelief that Jon came back.

I appreciate Kit Harington's bare bottom. It got two very enthusiastic thumbs up from me.

• Love 2

Can someone fill me in on who the two people who were brought before Ramsey were?

I can't remember the wildling woman's name (Osha, I think?) but the boy is Rickon Stark. 

Ugh I cannot take Ramsey torturing another Stark -- I was so sad to see Rickon ? And now I'm so worried about him.

I think OSHA could've held her own but Rickon is just in trouble and I can't bear to watch it!

I liked the scene with young Ned but I was confused by the guy who stabbed the other guy in the back -- why was that a bad thing?

Was that baby crying a baby Jon Snow?

Liked when Arya was fighting back. This show really needs to give us some victories for the good guys -- please!!

• Love 9
1 minute ago, SoWindsor said:

Ugh I cannot take Ramsey torturing another Stark -- I was so sad to see Rickon ? And now I'm so worried about him.

I think OSHA could've held her own but Rickon is just in trouble and I can't bear to watch it!

I liked the scene with young Ned but I was confused by the guy who stabbed the other guy in the back -- why was that a bad thing?

Was that baby crying a baby Jon Snow?

Liked when Arya was fighting back. This show really needs to give us some victories for the good guys -- please!!

The stabbing in the back thing went against the legend of Ned Stark beating that better swordsman, contradicts the story Bran grew up with. I think the point of showing us stuff like that is to prepare for the truth of Lyanna and Jon's parentage vs what everyone was told.

• Love 11

So much to process in this episode. But I am, first and foremost, upset about the murder of yet another direwolf.  :-( Now we only have Summer and Ghost left?

The 2 best lines:

Jon: My watch has ended. 

and 

Olenna: (to Cersei): I realize these things can get a little confusing in your family.

I had so missed Olenna's snarky wit!

Bran's flashback ended too soon. I guess we have to wait for next week. I enjoyed the swordfight though. 

I'm glad Arya's story moved, glacially, forward an inch.

I loved Davos for tossing Melisandre out of the room, then giving Jon a much-needed pep talk. I wonder where will Jon go from here? Winterfell maybe? With an army of wildlings, to rescue his brother once he finds out about Rickon?

I don't care about Mereen. There, I said it. I care about Tyrion, Varys, etc. but the city of Mereen -- meh.

I'm glad to see Sam, Gilly and Lil' Sam are still OK. 

• Love 9
(edited)

I love love love Varys.  He may be my favorite character on the whole show. 

Missandei's reactions to Tyrion's small talk were gold.  Though for a moment I was concerned she was a suspect. Apparently she was just weirded out. 

Screw you house Umber!  Unless you're faking of course. 

I adore Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and normally I like his Jamie even when he's being a dick.  That's getting harder and harder to do this season.  

Tommen is totally going to be under the spell of the High Sparrow, you can see it starting already. 

It was good to see Arya's story advance finally, I've been waiting for her Kill Bill style training montage for a while now. 

I don't know what it is but Dany and her storyline just never quite engages me fully.  It should but it never quite does.  But I am curious what next week holds in store for her. 

Edited by Lillith
  • Love 4
(edited)

Seems like maybe some book talk in here, or is it just spec? 

The biggest surprise of the season so far, for me, is that Bran's storyline is one of the most interesting. They did a good job casting young Ned Stark.

Please Umber Whoever-you-are, assassinate Ramsey. I don't want to hear him or see his face, and I don't want him anywhere near Rickon.

Can't make up my mind if the High Sparrow believes that stuff he spouts, or if it's straight manipulation.

Olenna: (to Cersei): I realize these things can get a little confusing in your family.

I loved the way Kevan thwarted Cersei about the council meeting, though I'm afraid they are all going to pay. But leave Olenna alone!

Edited by peggy06
Quote another post
  • Love 7

I forgot, line of the night for me was when Tormund told Jon he didn't think he was a god because he saw his penis. Cracked me up for a couple of minutes.

• Love 5

Good Episode Tonight.

Cersei is still Cersei, no matter what she goes through.  Her sneering and rage filled "I want little birds in Dorne, Highgarden and The North."  The cycle of revenge continues.  

Liked the scene with the Small Council and had to laugh because somehow Olenna managed to weasel her way onto it.   The Small Council use to be Twyin, Cersei, Tyrion, Pycelle, Varys and Littlefinger with guest appearances by Joffrey and now, Kevan Lannister, Olenna Tyrell, Mace Tyrell and Lord Pycelle.  How times change.   Loved seeing Olenna reiterate to Cersei that Margaery is "THE"Queen.  lol.    And I don't doubt she already knew but she had a ring side seat to the clear division within House Lannister still.

The North is like every other Kingdom.   People want to get on the good side of those in power.   The Starks (as far as everyone knows) are on the verge of extinction.   The Boltons are in power, clearly some are thinking "The Starks were lovely but it's time to face facts and play ball."   Protecting Rickon was a favor to a family that will never be able to repay it (as far as they know).   Ramsay and Lord Karstark are clearly loving their ascendancy.

Couldn't care less about Sam and Gilly.

Danerys is boring as all hell.

Arya?  Snore.  Wake me when the interesting Stark girl is on.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, KaleyFirefly said:

So much to process in this episode. But I am, first and foremost, upset about the murder of yet another direwolf.  :-( Now we only have Summer and Ghost left?

You could argue Nymeria, Arya's Direwolf. She's been missing since early season 1, but far as we know, she's still alive.

• Love 9

Missandei's reactions to Tyrion's small talk were gold.  Though for a moment I was concerned she was a suspect. Apparently she was just weirded out. 

Poor Tyrion trying to get those two out of their shell.

• Love 4
(edited)

In no particular order:

Boo! What's in the tower goddammit? Everybody knows, just show us  

Spoiler

baby Jon

already.

There's nothing after death. Jon Snow knows nothing for real now.

I don't usually get it when people say they'll quit the show after something bad happens, but don't kill Osha, okay? Enough with the gratuitous violence against  women. We get it already. Evil patriarchy, crapsack world, blah blah blah. Please don't go there. Please?

Some of the best acting on this show is wordless. I love the look that comes over Dany's face when she's told all the Khalasars will come together to decide which cities get sacked. She's like, "opportunity!" Let's see . . . let's go with Yunkai, Astapor, Volantis? There's a way to play this. . . 

"My watch is ended."  The episode ended with me exclaiming "holy shit!" Well done. Sorry, neighbors.

Sitrep: As of last week, I was gonna say the Crown only controls the Red Keep, but now that the Small Council is at odds with the Incest twins, it's even worse. To sum up: The North is divided between the Wildings, Ramsay Bolton., and unaligned clans (who have pushed out the Ironborn). Bolton's marriage to wanted traitor Sansa Stark throws the Boltons' allegiance to the Iron Throne in question. The Iron Islands are independent, and while the occupation of the North is ended, no serious attempt to reassert the Iron Throne's authority has been made in several years. Who holds power in the Iron Islands is unclear following the recent murder of King Balon. Dorne hasn't really been loyal to the Iron Throne since Elia's death and is functionally independent. Who holds power in Dorne is unclear following the recent murder of Prince Doran. The Eyre has sat out the recent conflict but Littlefinger told Cersei he is marching on the North. To what end? The allegiance of the Eyre is unclear following the recent murder of Lady Lysa. The Westernlands are firmly under control of Kevan Lannister, Hand of the King, but when was the  last time he talked to the King about anything? The Reach is held by the Queen's family, who have also been occupying King's Landing  since the end of Season 2. But now control of King's Landing is split between the Tyrells and the Sparrows, a sectarian guerilla group.. Presumably leaderless Baratheon loyalists still hold Dragonstone and Storm's End. The Freys are nominally Lords  Paramount of the Trident, but are bogged down in a counterinsurgency campaign against the Brotherhood Without Banner, a different sectarian guerilla group. A budding Olenna/Kevan alliance may unite the Westerlands, the Reach, and parts of King's landing, but that's about as much cohesion  as Westeros has at the moment. Basically it looks something like modern day Syria. The "Seven Kingdoms" are basically a failed state at this point. If I were Tommen I'd abdicate in favor of Danaerys Targaryen and move to a villa in Pentos.

Edited by that one guy
  • Love 4
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Popples said:

I forgot, line of the night for me was when Tormund told Jon he didn't think he was a god because he saw his penis. Cracked me up for a couple of minutes.

Well, we could have seen it and judged for ourselves (wink)

Edited by Tippi
  • Love 12
23 minutes ago, bunnyblue said:

*Ugly crying* Oh Shaggydog, you deserved better. Poor little pup. We're down to 3 direwolves. I can't take anymore direwolf deaths, D&D!! At least they didn't show Shaggydog's death. *crying harder*

I want Ramsay's head on a spike! I want Smalljon Umber's head on a spike! What a shitty reason to turn over a frightened kid and woman to a known psycho. Poor Rickon. If Bran finds out what happened to his little brother, he's going to feel so guilty. *weeps some more* 

So, so awful. Poor Shaggydog. Fuck the Umbers. Fuck the Karstarks. And fuck Ramsay hard with a spike. Ramsay needs to be torn to pieces.

13 minutes ago, SoWindsor said:

Because that violates the rules of chivalry. You're not supposed to sneak up and steal your opponent in the back, you're supposed to face them up front and give them a chance to see you coming.

Damn, if that actor playing young Ned wasn't a dead ringer! Amazing casting.

• Love 12

I'm fantasizing that Osha will be able to deal with Ramsey.

And I'm not surprised that Ned's friend killed the guy, not Ned. I've known Ned was an ijit since season one, when he had a dire wolf killed to please Cersei.

It was SO good to see Lady Olenna again--now between her and Kevan, King's Landing may actually be governed.

It was good to see Tommen standing up to the Sparrow, before he fell for the old devil's grandfatherly charm. And BTW, how does the Sparrow keep a mother from seeing her dead daughter? I don't like Cersei, but damn, she has a right to see her daughter.

I'm glad Jon sees that his watch has ended--he needs to be away from Castle Black and out in the world.

• Love 8

I have to hope against hope that the Umber is showing Ramsay a rando direwolf head, and not Shaggydogg's. From what I remember real!Shaggydogg was huge, way bigger than this head.

Also, from what I remember the Umbers were the most loyal to the Starks. So I have to think this is part of a con. 

• Love 2

That TOJ scene was remarkably similar to what happened to Ned in his fight with Jamie, the major difference being that Jamie stopped the fight after that.

• Love 1

Nothing better than coming back from the DEAD and being told you have a small man sword by your former emeny new BFF!  

Who was it Jon told he was commander of the night watch when he left the castle?  

Just now, gwhh said:

Nothing better than coming back from the DEAD and being told you have a small man sword by your former emeny new BFF!  

Who was it Jon told he was commander of the night watch when he left the castle?  

Dolorous Edd, the one Davos sent to get the Wildlings.

• Love 2

Well alright.

Olenna's back! Thank goodness. Time to spring Loras and Margaery out of the clink.  Tommen is useless. I fully expected the High Sparrow to kill him and get it over with. 

I'm also glad a girl finally learned enough to stop getting her ass kicked.  What about the dancing lessons she learned from Syrio? I fully expected a girl to still be able to fight even without her eyesight.

Typical that Jon would quit the Night's Watch just as Sansa is making her way to the Wall...  I wonder if he is going to Winterfell?

I also echo the sentiments of not wanting to watch Ramsay torture Osha and Rickon.  Especially when that Umber mentioned young Karstark liking little boys... ugh.

• Love 6

Aww Rickon's wolf and woah I didn't even recognize him. 

No Jon don't go, where's he going when Sansa's on her way! 

I liked Arya getting her eyes back.

I really don't get where the dragon went that Dany flew in on, can't she just call for it? 

• Love 1

I knew it! I freaking knew they wouldn't let Sansa and Jon be at Castle Back at the same time! Have the Starks have a good moment? Pssh, never!

Grrrrrr!!!!

• Love 2

As much as I enjoyed this episode, it convinced me that it is a good thing that we are getting two abbreviated seasons to wrap up the show. Too many stories are spinning in one place. Daenerys is diverted and her fleet burnt. Arya does just about the same thing every week. The Lyanna reveal is being stretched out too long. The High Sparrow and Cersei should have been taken out ages ago.

• Love 4

Tormund is just so hot and I love his interaction with Jon snow. Can't wait to see him and Jon fight more white walkers together.

Someone upthread asked if there's book talk here or just speculation -- it's the latter and theories about Jon's parentage.

Why can't they just kill the high sparrow? It makes no sense that Cersei would allow him to live??

I want Dany to come back into her power soon. 

• Love 4
Just now, Oscirus said:

Then why was Janos beheaded?

He just challenged Jon by disobeying an order,like Thorne he was Knighted, or hell Jon just wanted to give Long Claw a test!

• Love 1
(edited)
43 minutes ago, KaleyFirefly said:

That was hilarious. Good to see that Olenna and Kevan still don't give a fuck about Cersei and her power grab. I hate how Jaime has become Cersei's lackey again. He really is useless when he is with her. Nothing like the man who was fighting for respect and friendship when he was with Brienne. Now I just want Jaime to die along with Cersei. I hope the dragons burn  them both alive.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 5

Bummed about Rickon being in Ramsey's hands, I have no interest in seeing him tortured. I always thought he would pop up and reclaim Winterfell. Poor shaggy dog..  

Agree that Danaerys is only interesting with her dragons..

Arya's been doing the same thing for how long now ? Bored ..

Love the flashbacks and enjoying Brans story  

• Love 2