Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E21: Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing

When Holmes and Watson are pulled into a double-homicide investigation, they discover the victims were staging a fake murder right at the moment they were killed. Also, Watson's inside man at Morland's office encounters a problem that threatens to expose her spying to Holmes and his father.

Promo:

"...no smoke monster..." Heh.

So did Sherlock really uproot several hundred dollars of Ginseng to make an illustration?

And that's why you don't fuck around with Morland Holmes.

Wow. Morland makes Walternate (Fringe reference) look like a pussycat.

It took me about five seconds to peg the wife as the murderer.

Seriously. They should've directed the actress a little differently. Crocodile tears.

I love the song that the episode title came from, but there were sooo many things in this episode that were not the real thing, it seemed like they'd never get back around to the wife being the killer.

I want that B&W print skirt Joan was wearing.

I'd also like the B&W print blouse the wife wore in the last interrogation. Maybe Morland gave it to her from Joan's closet.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

So...yeah. Do not screw with Moreland. I knew as soon as the mentioned Bell was called to a shooting, that it was going to be the mole that Joan was meeting with. Knew it right away.

Also knew it was the wife right away. We just kept spinning around, all the while I am just like "go back to the wife, just go back to the wife already".

What is Joan's plan here? 

• Love 4

Neither of them thought maybe Morland bugged their house?

I did like Marcus getting a chance to exposit to Sherlock at the first crime scene, describing the miscues before Sherlock got a chance.

Giving Sherlock a girlfriend who isn't really in the show, a housekeeper likewise, and at the same time having Clyde be always off camera... it's an interesting approach to creating compelling secondary characters: introduce them and then keep reminding us, without ever having to pay the actors to show up.

• Love 11
Giving Sherlock a girlfriend who isn't really in the show, a housekeeper likewise, and at the same time having Clyde be always off camera... it's an interesting approach to creating compelling secondary characters: introduce them and then keep reminding us, without ever having to pay the actors to show up.

I agree with your observation. But how much do they have to pay Clyde?

• Love 3

Heh, I know you're j/k, but I was going to post that too until I realized there actually is a Clyde handler who gets paid.

Hmmm....maybe he/she handles hairless cats too.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Glad to see Eugene is improving and seems happier, even if his stand-up gig isn't exactly setting the comedic world on fire.

Oh, Joan.  What can of worms have you just opened?  I knew something bad was going to happen to her mole.  I'm going to wait and see if Morland was behind all of this, because he certainly would be the topic suspect.  And I'm sure he'll probably find ways to keep breaking into their loft, no matter how many times Sherlock changes the lock.  It still is amazing to me that John Noble has been way more scary in these brief moments, compared to of all his big, talky, overdramatic scenes he did on Sleepy Hollow.

The case of the week didn't peak my interest, although I did enjoy the Ortiz character and how annoyed she got with Sherlock.  And those tattoos were pretty badass.

I did think this had one of the better "discover the bodies" moments.  I love the idea of a cop and a purse thief stumbling upon the scene during a chase, and the purse thief's response to it was spot-on.

There must be some kind of behind the scene drama going on with the actor playing Clyde, because I so felt like that scene with the cat was testing new waters for a replacement animal sidekick!  Contract negotiations can be rough!

• Love 7

Wasn't there some reason that Fiona couldn't have a cat of her own and that was why she frequented the cat café?

True too that some cats, especially those of the more exotic breed types, are even more aloof and particular about their human associates than other cats. And while I am a fan of some of those exotics and their close cousins (Siamese, Tonkinese, Burmese, Himalayan, Abyssinian), the Sphynx particularly freaks me out: aside from its appearance and hyper-high-strung temperament, it requires, like the hairless dog breeds, or, say, a human baby, a constant and vigilant skin care regimen to prevent damage and discomfort. Bathing, exfoliation, moisturization, sunscreen, bug repellent, wash, rinse, repeat. Plus it feels like touching bare human skin, baby skin. Like a baby with claws and teeth.

Anyway, yet another illustration why live creatures should never be given as gifts.

I would like to know what else happened on Fiona's birthday date or if it was all about the unsuccessful match with the cat (an adult cat! again, knower-of-all-things-esoteric and highly-ethical-with-regard-to-animals-and-children Sherlock would hardly think it would be a good risk to get an adult Sphynx for his fair Fiona and think the odds would favor a happy connection between two such committed eccentrics — seems totally OOC).

Morland tonight: super creepy. But I will consider the story more interesting as it unspools if it turns out that he is NOT responsible for the horrible triple (quadruple?) murder at the very end.

Edited to correct typos and to observe that maybe Miss Whatsername the Sphynx could be interesting after all, as her high maintenance needs would seem to lend themselves to Sherlock's personality. But it should have been obvious that what Fiona needs [in a cat] is something uncomplicated and cuddly.

Edited by Margherita Erdman
  • Love 5
Wasn't there some reason that Fiona couldn't have a cat of her own and that was why she frequented the cat café

Yes, my memory is that her building does not accept cats...or maybe they just don't accept the ones with fur.

• Love 2

John Noble can bring it. Sleepy Hollow wasted him.

Now that Sherlock's suspicious of Joan's lies, she's lost his trust. Pity. She was pretty quick with the lies, but not that smart - her lie about taking her mother to the doctor was one that would be easy to check out.

Joan's white shirt with tiny red polka dots reminded me of blood spatter. LOL

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 4

She was pretty quick with the lies, but not that smart - her lie about taking her mother to the doctor was one that would be easy to check out.

But what why would one do that?  Sherlock and Joan are friends, not cop and suspect or stalker and target.

Edited by DEM
  • Love 2

Joan is an idiot.  She really thinks she is smarter than daddy Holmes?  Glad we didn't have to wait too long to see he is on to her.  

Gad - that was a convoluted story - and none of it interested me.  Oh well.  I was bored last night and watched - should know better.

• Love 3

I've been a bit underwhelmed this season. I really like John Noble's Morland. I think he's been a good addition so far and now that we are coming to the last episode of the seasons, things are ramping up with him. However, it does feel like Joan and Sherlock are not getting as many character developments. I like Fiona too, but we rarely see her or any of the secondary re-occurring characters. I guess it is best to underuse those characters rather than overuse. Still, I watch this show for its characters and their chemistry with one another. The procedural aspect has been failing lately. The last season with Kitty was one of the best. That arc was not long enough. I am starting to think Elementary does better in odd numbered seasons.

On a more positive note, I liked that they did return to Eugene and that Joan should be humbled by the fact that Morland is very dangerous. However, it's keeping with her character to be reckless with her rivals/enemies.

• Love 3

But what why would one do that?  Sherlock and Joan are friends, not cop and suspect or stalker and target.

I don't think he even had to based on these lines:

He was called to the scene of a shooting.

So I was told by Detective Nash.

The details are still coming in.

If you go home, I wouldn't get too comfortable.

Our presence might be requested.

That is assuming, of course, you don't have any last-minute plans with parents or old friends.

Yeah, I'll keep an eye on my phone

• Love 1

John Noble is freaking terrifying as Morland Holmes. When Joan first found him sitting in the front room, I was immediately tense. He has such a great presence on this show.

Sherlock is totally onto Joan lying to him, but I wonder if he's going to hold back and let her explain or if he'll push her into it. I missed the episode where Joan got the mole in Morland's office, so it took me a sec to catch up, but how did she ever think that would be a good idea? Or even work? You do not mess around with Morland and she should know that by now.

• Love 7

Joan's pineapple skirt is nice, but $355 seems ridiculous to me.

I would think a cat would be more expensive to have on set than a turtle, but who knows?

Joan lying to Sherlock makes me uncomfortable. That her machinations seem to have led to the assassination of her mole makes it worse. I don't want them to imply that it was her "recklessly going off on her own" which was the cause, but I also don't want her and Sherlock to be keeping secrets from each other, either. Can't they have a strong relationship based on trust and mutual respect, and not have it be because Joan is a dummy who gets in over her head when she acts independently, and needs to be supervised at all times by the superior Sherlock? Don't infantilize her, show!

• Love 8

And I'm sure he'll probably find ways to keep breaking into their loft

Technically, he's not breaking & entering; it's his brownstone. Morland has allowed Sherlock and Joan to live there, either at a reduced rate or for free.  Now, saying that, he's a scary mo-fo and I'd hate to see him already in my living space if I wasn't expecting him to be there. Eep.

Joan? Gurl, you in danger.

I liked that we had a really nice dose of Gregson/ Aiden Quinn tonight. I also liked that we got to close the episode with Marcus.

As to Joan's lying: I think that Joan is going to come clean to Sherlock, but he's just been patiently waiting for her to tell him why she felt she needed to lie to him in the first place. (Potentially, deniability; Joan wouldn't want to torpedo a potentially healthy relationship with Morland due to her suspicions[first, do no harm].)  His lines tonight gave away that he knew that Joan was lying, so why continue?  I just know that Sherlock called Mary to check on her health as a friend/double check Joan's squirreliness. Or he could have tracked Mary's cell phone/ Joan's cell phone as well. He's not some passive slacker, is what I'm saying.

That Sherlock is letting Joan continue to do whatever is... strange. He isn't one to rest on politeness; we saw how his concern for Eugene (::waves at the Comic Coroner::) was frank and direct, but full of concern. That he's gone almost sitcom-y about letting the obvious lies go on is worrying. I hope next week has our dynamic duo back on a more even keel. This is situational, so it should not be too lingering. Sherlock trusts Morland as far as Clyde could toss him, so there may be disappointment and snark, but hopefully not any clutching of pearls about lies.

I was happy and surprised to see Alexander Chaplin from Spin City! ( I missed him in the titles; he was nerdy, countryish James on SC.) I personally liked how they were guilty, but not exactly. If it had been a little earlier in the evening, my enjoyment may have been higher, but like tennisgurl, I was wondering why no one went back to the wife.  It's like no one else ever digs up more info on a suspect until the script needs them to. That is sort of lazy. Have Bell or Gregson either tell a silent extra or a phone that the other person should still keep looking into a particular suspect, that while the alibi seems solid, yaddayadda gut feeling fishcakes.

I hope we can get Ms. Hudson/ Candis back for a proper amount of screentime.  Maybe we can get her being an Irregular on a case next season? Or bringing a case to Holmes and Watson?

• Love 4

I've been a bit underwhelmed this season. 

I think I am too. I watch the show every week, then I come here, read the comments, & have absolutely nothing to add. If I watch a show every week, I usually have something to say, but I'm just not connecting enough this season.

• Love 1

Or will Sherlock's new cat become an even bigger nemesis?http://previously.tv/elementary/is-elementarys-watson-about-to-be-in-hot-water-with-morland-holmes/"> Read the story

I disagree with the moniker "Boreland;" most of were terrified. But this:

It seems as if the creepy "bald cat" inflicted by Sherlock on the household, after an inspired attempt at girlfriend gift-giving gone wrong, might be there to stay. Both Fiona and Mrs. H have turned down the Sphynx, leaving the residents of the brownstone with a new roomie no one wants. If only they could gift the cat to Sherlock's dad. Seriously, that thing looks like it could be Morland's spirit animal

I agree with. I picture him stroking the cat while menacing visitors with his icy stare.
  • Love 2

I disagree with the moniker "Boreland;" most of were terrified. But this:I agree with. I picture him stroking the cat while menacing visitors with his icy stare.

I loved the glares Joan was shooting at the cat, but the CotW was underwhelming.  They missed the perfect opportunity to have the at sitting on Moreland's lap when Joan came in - that would have upped the intimidation factor that John Noble carries so well here.

• Love 2

I hope we can get Ms. Hudson/ Candis back for a proper amount of screentime. Maybe we can get her being an Irregular on a case next season? Or bringing a case to Holmes and Watson

I do love Candis Cayne, have been a huge fan ever since I first encountered her on an episode of RuPaul's Drag U as some kind of posture or poise or general attitude coach for the contestants, and/or maybe the guest choreographer (and she was FABULOUS, of course). She deserves a show of her own in addition to more screentime as an Irregular. But perhaps she's too busy right now hanging out with Caitlyn?

But this:I agree with. I picture him stroking the cat while menacing visitors with his icy stare.

Mr. Bigglesworth!

Edited by Margherita Erdman
  • Love 1
I was impressed that they managed to arrest everyone involved with the case - girlfriend, wife, AND partner. Wahoo, everyone's guilty of something!

I thought that was pretty clever too. No good guys here, including the murder victims.

"Convict them all and let God sort it all."

The confrontation with Morland couldn't have lasted more than two minutes, but that was an intense meeting.  The words were polite but the face was icy.

Sherlock agreed that Joan should have privacy to work her own cases and live her own life, so I assume that he is showing restraint for that reason.  Or, as other posters commented, he's investigating on his own.

I'm glad they continue to let Bell prove that he is a perfectly good detective in addition to being Sherlock's handler.

Agree with those who said Sherlock should no better than to give an adult cat, or really any animal, as a pet. 

• Love 3

As a Vermont resident, I have to say my husband and I immediately yelled at Sherlock for mispronouncing Montpelier. He's supposed to be a genius! New York isn't that far away; was there really no one on set who knows how to pronounce our state capital?

It is not pronounced the French way, despite it's spelling and origin. We have a lot of cities like this, so I would forgive them if they mispronounced a different city. But not the capital! Only Jonny Lee Miller gets a pass because he's British. :)

• Love 1

As a Vermont resident, I have to say my husband and I immediately yelled at Sherlock for mispronouncing Montpelier. He's supposed to be a genius! New York isn't that far away; was there really no one on set who knows how to pronounce our state capital?

It is not pronounced the French way, despite it's spelling and origin. We have a lot of cities like this, so I would forgive them if they mispronounced a different city. But not the capital! Only Jonny Lee Miller gets a pass because he's British. :)

I think that it's because he's Britsh that he pronounced it that way. JLM pronounces many words differently, my favorite of which has been zeh-brah (zebra)

• Love 1

I have read somewhere that there are actually *two* Clydes on the show...

I imagine we will seem him again soon though.  He's a fan favorite.

• Love 2

I think that it's because he's Britsh that he pronounced it that way. JLM pronounces many words differently, my favorite of which has been zeh-brah (zebra)

And my least favorite is patent! Yes, it has been weeks and I am still not over it!

Am I the only one who thinks Morland is a red herring and someone else is behind the murders!

• Love 2

Am I the only one who thinks Morland is a red herring and someone else is behind the murders!

No, I think a lot of us agree.

--Especially since this show (and Sherlock Holmes based stories in general) typically have enough red herrings to stock my sister's fish pond.

--Although in this episode they rounded up all those potential herrings and fried 'em.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 6

No, I think a lot of us agree.

--Especially since this show (and Sherlock Holmes based stories in general) typically have enough red herrings to stock my sister's fish pond.

--Although in this episode they rounded up all those potential herrings and fried 'em.

I've really been debating whether or not Morland is behind the murders.  I think it is really stretching it that someone else is guilty but that is how this show works.  And I guess it depends on how evil they really want Morland to be.

• Love 2

There's a sort of "Scooby-Doo" aspect to this show I find rather irritating. At the end of every episode, Sherlock & Co. have a sit down with the culprit and lay out their evidence against them until the suspect finally caves and cops to the whole thing. Every. Single. Week. Why don't any of them ever clam up and demand a lawyer? Why do they always confess? Even with a mountain of evidence laid out before them, as rich as some of them are you figure one of them would ask for a lawyer. I know it wouldn't tie the episode up in a neat and tidy bow like they want, but please. The vast majority of these suspects would take their chances with a jury and go to their graves professing their innocence rather than just spill in front of the cops.

• Love 4

There's a sort of "Scooby-Doo" aspect to this show I find rather irritating. At the end of every episode, Sherlock & Co. have a sit down with the culprit and lay out their evidence against them until the suspect finally caves and cops to the whole thing. Every. Single. Week. Why don't any of them ever clam up and demand a lawyer?.

This drives me crazy too, but for a different reason. They lay out their case in such a synchronized way, where each one of them takes a turn speaking, that they would have had to rehearse it beforehand for it to come out so choreographed. How would they know who would talk about which part?

(This drove me crazy on NCIS too, every time the team would brief Gibbs in front of the monitor they would each talk in perfect lockstep with each other, like it was a play they had rehearsed ahead of time.)

• Love 1
There's a sort of "Scooby-Doo" aspect to this show I find rather irritating. At the end of every episode, Sherlock & Co. have a sit down with the culprit and lay out their evidence against them until the suspect finally caves and cops to the whole thing. Every. Single. Week.

This drives me nuts too but it does seem to be a common trope in these kinds of shows. I remember Jessica Fletcher's (Murder She Wrote) weekly "I regret to inform you that you are the killer" scene. Jessica, pushing seventy, would do this alone, without weapon or backup.  Sometimes I wait for the killer to say, "Well played, Sherlock-Jessica."

I will concede the actors often get to display their acting chops in that scene, usually with only the use of facial expressions.

Edited by MaryHedwig

I was happy and surprised to see Alexander Chaplin from Spin City! ( I missed him in the titles; he was nerdy, countryish James on SC.)

Oh, James... what have you done??  (It's funny to see him out of the blue; I was just re-watching an episode or two of Spin City last week. I loved when he'd write speeches for the mayor, give him notecards, and then conveniently interrupt the flow of the sentences by ending part of the sentence on one card and putting the rest of the sentence on the next card... often in terrible spots that made it seem like the mayor was "for" something when (flip card over) he was actually against it.

Michael J. Fox's character: "James, you really need to be careful about where you put the card breaks."

(Mayor says something even worse.)

Michel J. Fox's character: "Okay, you did that last one on purpose, didn't you?"

James smiles as if to say "...maybe."

Heeee.

It still is amazing to me that John Noble has been way more scary in these brief moments, compared to of all his big, talky, overdramatic scenes he did on Sleepy Hollow.

He was quite good in the first season as the "Sin Eater".  It was only when he became Jeremy that he was lumbered.

I was impressed that they managed to arrest everyone involved with the case - girlfriend, wife, AND partner. Wahoo, everyone's guilty of something! Who the hell owns the ginseng now?!

Since the property was not a direct benefit of any of the crimes, I would think it still belongs to the current owners -- Mr Solicit-For-Murder and Ms Do-It_Myself (or their heirs if either gets the death penalty).  Likewise, Ms Burnin'-Down-The-House should get the quarter million (or whatever) from Mr Staging-A-Murder's life insurance.

• Love 2