Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: Love Stories/ S05.E10: I Love You Baby

Hannah gives Principal Toby some unexpected news; Marnie has an unsettling dream; Shoshanna offers to help Ray with marketing his business; Elijah wants an exclusive relationship with Dill.

Hannah plans to participate in the Moth Story Slam; Marnie prepares to go on tour with Desi; Shoshanna's idea for Ray's takes off; Jessa and Adam argue.

I'm going to take "I Love You, Baby" as a clue that Adam will either step up as Sample's parental figure, or Jessa will announce a pregnancy.  Maybe both.

Of course, the "I Love You" could mean that they fight over one of them saying, "I love you."  Which probably means they will break up.  Because no one on this show can grow and flourish in an adult relationship, and they all must regress and live in misery. *sigh*

• Love 2

I'm going to take "I Love You, Baby" as a clue that Adam will either step up as Sample's parental figure, or Jessa will announce a pregnancy. Maybe both.

I agree. Who would have guessed the series would end with Adam as a father.
  • Love 1

Episode part A:

Wow, Dill might be the worst. Although, in an odd way kind of makes sense. He said Elijah was "aimless" and obviously, Dill has been having and has had many Elijahs but now that he is considering settling down, it would not be with an aimless 20 something. So while he is the worst, he makes sense. So.. I'm not quite sure if he is the worst or the best. Conundrum, you guys.

I remember that girl from an episode in season one- I keep forgetting her name, despite her name being mentioned- Hannah hated her but I do love how now instead of fronting with this girl like in season 1 about how great her writing was, now she's just straight up honest about how big a suck her life has become as far as her dream of writing. And yes, Jessa does have great hair. Great hair. Flawless hair. I'm jealous of her hair but the actual person with the hair? Nope. Not gonna happen.  And okay I cannot be the only person who totally giggled when hitching a ride started playing while Hannah and that girl rode bikes and had a nostalgic feel of NOW AND THEN, because that movie is awesome! Also I bet Lena totally knows a lot of people would be thinking of Now and Then while that song played. Watching Hannah high wasn't fun. 

I..don't care about the coffee shop stuff. I love Ray but I wish his storyline was better than this. And I'm sorry, I ship Marnie and Ray because I want happiness for Ray. I've really grown to love Ray throughout this whole series. 

Episode part B

Hannah is the worst. But i love her parents. And before she started talking about being happy her ex best friend who stole her boyfriend was dead, I did kind of love her speech about Jessa .

Okay, yeah, and now here's where I stopped shipping Ray and Marnie. Now I'm back to remembering that Marnie is clearly using Ray because she loves it when people love her. Ugh. This makes me so sad. I love Ray, I just want him to be happy and then I remember he will probably be happier over the hills and further away from of ANY of these girls. Sad. 

What the hell is Jessa talking about? Hannah loves babies? Hilarious as this has never been indicated on this show. I would assume Hannah hates babies, she may like kids of teenage years but I am pretty convinced she would be awful with actual babies. I'm assuming Jessa was just saying that to throw out Hannah's name and see how Adam would react.

Ellijah and Tad's scene made me laugh too, I also loved Elljiah's "till your daughter STARTED RUNNING!!" also poor Ellijah who I love, but also..maybe get like a grown up job and then people will start taking you seriously. 

Oh god, I never expected Laird to fall off the wagon. It was pretty obvious when he first showed up to pick off Samples. Samples BTW is much better than her actual name of JessaHannah. 

Okay. As much as I love Jessa's speech for what happened and what went down, she's never going to own up to her part in this. And she seems to have made this all Adam's fault. Watching them destroy all of that stuff wasn't funny. What show am I watching? 

I really wish I could root for Marnie and Ray. I want to like them, I do. I really do. But I know Marnie is just using for Ray for companionship and probably doesn't even like him and only wants him because Desi now has Lisa Bonet. 

I find Hannah's story.. good but somewhat untrue.  Whatever. Also, I was right. Hannah never had any mental disorder during all her random sexual craziness she was doing the last couple of episodes. It went nowhere and meant nothing.

Oh yay, TAD GOT BACK WITH THE BOOT DEALER!

A lot of these seasons storylines were kind of a whole lot of things that are big but ended up going nowhere. Like, all of these big things lead to nothing. Marnie got married and then broken up with the guy just as quick, Hannah was doing all of this crazy stuff for no reason, Jessa and Adam got together and basically Hannah reacted but not really it seemed like we would be getting some sort of reveal, Sosh went to Japan for a reason and came back to run the coffee shop. I mean, maybe that's the point, next season all these things will have a conclusion of some sort I guess. 

ETA: I spelled Tad's name wrong

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1

I never liked Hannah until the moment she got behind that microphone. It felt like a series finale moment for the the Hannah storyline.

Fuck, I was wrong. I thought the season would end with Adam in a father-role. Nope, just a violent insane fight between Adam and Jessa -- with Adam handing baby Sample back to her (most likely on drugs) father.

I loved Colin Quinn and Shosh dancing. What a sweet moment. Colin is a wonderful person who helps a lot of people and I enjoyed the lightness of that scene.

I'm not really sure what to think of Marnie and Ray.

Of course Desi was going to let the girl who loves him since Charmed get the groupie treatment.

I'm heartbroken for Elijah but I can't wait to see where his journey takes him next season. Holding out for the Elijah goes to Hollywood spin off.

• Love 8

Hannah's eyes jerking all over the place in the beginning of the ep when she ran into Tally. The eye jerking decreased as they were hanging out and then went away altogether. I thought for SURE that was the beginning of the end (i.e., ocd and total breakdown) for Hannah, but connecting with Tally seemed to turn her around. And then there was this odd...clarity.

• Love 6

Hannah's eyes jerking all over the place in the beginning of the ep when she ran into Tally. The eye jerking decreased as they were hanging out and then went away altogether. I thought for SURE that was the beginning of the end (i.e., ocd and total breakdown) for Hannah, but connecting with Tally seemed to turn her around. And then there was this odd...clarity.

Yes, I too thought we were on the verge of another stick-the-whole-qtip-in-my-ear breakdown, but Hannah -- for the first time -- worked through it all. Maybe it was the cannabis?

I really liked the storyline with Hannah and Tally, which is weird because I normally don't like Hannah's storylines. If that's what she needed to get out of her funk, then so be it. The story that Hannah told for The Moth was wonderful and I'm excited to see more of WriterHannah coming back into the picture. 

Sad to see the Elijah/Dill storyline end the way it did, but it also made a lot of sense. I'm hoping for a happy ending for Elijah next year and really hoping that he doesn't fuck Hannah's mom.

Love that Shoshanna has taken over the marketing for the coffee shop. She looked so happy in that last scene where she was dancing with Colin Quinn. She remains my favorite character.

The Marnie/Desi/Ray storyline is just so boring. Ray deserves so much better than Marnie. I wouldn't mind seeing him get back together with Shoshanna.

As for that Adam/Jessa fight, that was just disturbing. It was like watching a train wreck. I have no idea if I was supposed to find it funny, but I really just found it alarming. It just looked to me like they were going to end up killing each other.

• Love 6

So I guess I'm not the only one who liked it?  Jessa and Adam are such a bad idea.  I didn't particularly care for the smashing things/fight, but Adam Driver knowcked it out of the park.  He finds a way to add realism and he's willing to look like a horrible person.  Jessa's rant about how important Hannah is to her and how Adam ruined it all said too much about their relationship.  For best friends they really resent each other and do not treat each other well.  Adam may have called Hannah a narcissist but he's with Jessa.  Perhaps narcissists are his thing.

I was surprised Adam let Laird take Sample.  After forcing Laird to look him in the eyes, I thought he would keep the baby.  Mentally ill mother, junky father, that baby is looking at a tough life.

Shosh was adorable.  It was nice to see her happy again.  I liked her reunion with Ray as exes and friends.  What a concept, people really being friends.

Hannah won me over at the end.  She was charismatic and open.  She would show up with a fruit basket in the middle of the big hulk smash event.  (The fruit basket made me laugh.  I worked with a woman who was told she had one more chance to turn things around or she would be fired.  She sent our manager a fruit basket as a thank you for being understanding.  It was very bizarre.)

As always Ray deserves so much better than Marnie.  She can't be alone.  She knew she would be uncomfortable on the road with Desi so she talked Ray into coming along.  He needs an intervention.     

• Love 6

I didn't think the clarity was odd, because it was the old saying the grass is always greener...When the girl was sitting there crying because she realized she had nothing left to say, and seemed to have loss sense of herself, I think Hannah had a realization that it could be just the beginning for her. She was looking at the girl as if wow, you're a "real" writer and you've accomplished so much, only to hear the girl express the opposite.

From the time she came back from Iowa Hannah's been in a rut, aimless, and feeling that her life thus far hadn't amounted to anything. Speaking with this old schoolmate made her feel like her experiences mattered and that she still had a lot to say.  Her turn around made sense to me.

I liked Shosh's ending and Hannah's the most. 

Ray and Marnie, ah.

Adam and Jessa, ditto, I don't get what's going on there. Are they falling in love but can't help but feel guilty about Hannah?

Hannah's parents need to let that situation go, and be friends. Live their true selves divorced. I think they could be friends, but this situation they've got going doesn't seem all that fulfilling for neither one of them.

Elijah, I get his ending and I'm OK with it, if next season it leads him to something better both professionally and personally. 

I'm actually not angry at Dill, they were in the beginnings of  their interaction, no one said the word love did they? So he made a realization and I'm hoping next season Elijah will too.

I did think the scene at the end with Elijah and Hannah's mother was cute.

Oh, Colin was hilarious, no one with a bun....Shosh is good at what she does.

Edited by represent
  • Love 7

I mean, I don't know if I liked it. I just like a lot of things happened this season for no reason.

This may be the case, if I think back, the only thing I can grab onto in terms of Hannah is her telling her parents that she needed to run as it helped her to deal with them. 

I think I read a post a while ago with someone saying that maybe she was acting out in response to her parents, maybe that was what her behavior basically amounted to. But everyone else's story didn't seem to be all over the place for me.

Edited by represent

Some good stuff, some predictable stuff and some truly disturbing stuff.

The good, Hannah shopping with her mom. Yes, Hannah you do have the same body type. I thought she looked cute at the moth reading. The red lipstick looked good on her. I liked her story too.

I also liked her little comment to mom about dressing like Pat Benatar.

I actually liked Hannah and Tally together. I'm grateful that chose not to have sex though.

I love what Shosh did to Ray's coffee shop. It's good for her and for Ray. Lets please put an end to the man bun!

Elijah to Lorraine- 3 more beers and I might try to have sex with you.

The predictable- Marni wants Ray back to make Desi jealous and Ray falls right into her trap like a love starved puppy. I felt embarrassed for him carrying her bags around and basically being her bitch. He can't even make her cum!

That girl Desi was getting head from looked awfully young. Desi might end up getting arrested next season.

So Hannah quits her teaching job without another job lined up, doesn't she have rent to pay? How does she plan on living without any money? Jobs are scarce, that's bananas to just quit without a plan.

The disturbing- The fight, did both Jessa and Adam turn into other characters because yes they are both a little nutty but that fight was brutal. They were both acting deranged. Jessa was practically hunched over like an animal the entire time ready to attack or like she was sick. It was so bizarre. The post hate fuck scene was so repulsive.

Lastly, shame on Tad. Either get divorced and screw who you want or stay married and be faithful.

Edited by grumpypanda
  • Love 2

As for that Adam/Jessa fight, that was just disturbing. It was like watching a train wreck. I have no idea if I was supposed to find it funny, but I really just found it alarming. It just looked to me like they were going to end up killing each other.

I felt the exact same way. They were actually *aiming* heavy/sharp objects at each other. I was hoping police would barge through the door and arrest the both of them. And then during the end montage with the camera panning out and Jessa and Adam being naked below the waist - it's like they can't have "normal" sex. And so many of us here have been fooled into thinking that they would be good for each other.

Poor Sample. None of the adults in her life are equipped to raise her.

I really liked Hannah's Moth piece. It was witty and self-aware - we don't usually see that from her. It doesn't excuse her horrible behavior this season, but I'm glad something went well for her for a change. Running and hanging out with Tally seems to have done her good.

Is it evil of me that, when Desi wouldn't open the door to the dressing room, and before we saw him getting a BJ from the fangirl, I was hoping he had committed suicide in there? But of course he's too in love with himself to do that.

Finally, I'm glad Shosh snapped out of last week's pity party and went back to doing what she does best. Her "spying" on the hipster coffee shop wearing a trech coat and hat was so cute! And I loved loved loved her dancing with Colin Quinn at the end.

I hear what others are saying about the season feeling a bit aimless, but I thought it was great television, more so than previous seasons. Good job, Dunham and team.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 10

There are so many things to complain about with this show. There are also numerous ones that make it likeable. Anyone expecting any of these characters to grow up and act responsibly -  all of the time - are only fooling themselves. It's about enjoying the good moments, and this season was full of them.

Great finale(s) and the best season of this series so far.....

Elijah to Lorraine- 3 more beers and I might try to have sex with you.

Lorraine: You're just my type.

Ha.

• Love 7

This season was weird, aimless, accomplished little...and I think it was my favorite season so far. All of our Girls continue to not grow (except for Shosh, who was just adorable the last few episodes, after taking a brief trip down asshole drifter territory), and even characters that have seemed to have grown, like Adam, are still massively dysfunctional. That being said, I have been very entertained this season, and of all the seasons, this is probably the one where I was most consistently entertained and interested. I never felt bored, and that is all I want from my Girls experience. 

Hannah was actually pretty good at her Moth thing, and actually succeeded in behaving like a semi functioning person (bike theft not with standing) for the first time in ages. There is something weirdly sincere about Hannah at her best that keeps me from completely hating her no matter how selfish and wacked out she may act.

Jessa and Adam were a ticking time bomb, and they just blew up. That was a scary as hell fight, and it probably will not be the last one like it. I wondered all season if they would balance each others dysfunction out, or make it worse, and tonight answered that one. 

Run Ray run! You are WAY too good for Marnie! Ray is my favorite character, and I do not want him dragged into the bog of madness and self absorption that is Marni and Desi. 

Elijah is awesome, and I felt awful for him here. Poor guy. Hopefully he finds someone better. Ray decides to experiment with his sexuality? It could happen!

All in all, good times were had this season. I am going to miss being excited by, baffled by, angry with, and rocking out to this show, at least until next season. 

• Love 5

I agree, this was the most fun season, even if I still have no idea where the hell these characters are going. Or will go.

I hope the show doesn't want me rooting for Jessa and Adam, though after this. That fight was scary and not funny. I don't even understand it. Like, for a second there after Adam threw the lamp I thought Jessa had some sense and was getting her purse or something and getting the hell out. But nope. she was just getting more things to throw. Okay. I thought they were normal. 

• Love 2

The characters all verbalized summations of each other.

Hanna called Fran a square to Tally and I think accused him of being too angry and judgmental to his face.

Adam called Hanna narcissist and Jessa called Adam a narcissist and a sociopath. BTW, the whole string of adjectives he uttered about Hanna is pretty apt.

Whether deliberate or not, the fight revved them up, as if it was foreplay for them. Adam punching thru the bathroom door and sticking his head through the hole is Jack Nicholson out of The Shining. And IIRC, at that moment Jessa said he'll be a great actor because he's a narcissist and sociopath.

Meanwhile Jessa wanted to do something fun after they were done babysitting. She said something about water taxi or go fuck at Trader Joes. But she also said something about him not having friends -- on at last one previous occasion when he was with Hanna, he expressed disdain for going to some event where they'd be hanging out with her friends. Then she went on to the whole spiel about Hanna being more important to her than him. She blames him for taking her away from Hanna and the rest, cut off socially from them.

He says he hated her when he was with Hanna -- don't recall the adjectives he used.

For now though, they only have each other. It doesn't appear they tried to socialize with the rest of the gang after they got together. So that may be the meaning of the last scene, that they remain isolated. Hanna didn't indicate on the note in the gift basket that they let bygones be bygones and be friends again. Instead it sounded like a "have a nice life, I don't ever want to see you again" type of kiss off.

Will Lena wrap it all up in a bow with all of them friends again by the end of the show? That would be kind of showing "growth" in the characters.

• Love 3

Poor Ray. He's being used by Marnie to make Desi jealous -- and then he'll come back home after the disasterous tour to find all his possessions smashed. Hopefully this sets Shosh and Ray in motion as a couple.

• Love 3

Another season over and I couldn't succinctly summarize everything if I wanted to.  Talk about aimless.  What did I just watch? 

And ego trip for a flavor of the last few years. This show is just horrible.

• Love 4

This episode made me realize I had no idea what Hannah's last name was. When they called her at the Moth event, I thought the joke was that they called another Hannah. I was also waiting for her to be called up twice.

I was terrified that Elijah and Hannah's dad were going to hook up, and I think that was the point, since they teased Elijah and Hannah's mom hooking up later in the episode.

Adam and Jessa's fight was terrifying, but the blocking made it kind of hilarious. Like they would be moving around like they were on a scavenger hunt for another object to dramatically hurl across the room. I actually kind of figured they were role playing more than actually fighting.

• Love 5

I never liked Hannah until the moment she got behind that microphone. It felt like a series finale moment for the the Hannah storyline.

The whole episode(s) felt like a series finale.  Things are tied up neatly.

Hannah has had a series of personal breakthroughs where she may be free of Adam and Jessa, two of the most destructive forces in her life (other than herself).  She's back being creative (although that whole teaching episode was beyond belief.  She'd have been fired many times over, that principle would have been unhappy/angry with her).  Hannah is happy at the end, happier than we've ever seen her in this whole show.  Adam and Jessa showed they are compatible at their best and worst.  They both have mental/emotional issues and those issues may mesh, with can't take them anywhere good unless they get some professional help.   Ray and Marnie, the couple the writers really seemed to want us to 'ship but I just can't, are together and he's sticking up for her and maybe providing some stability...although she brings him chaos.  What about his business, how can he drop everything and go on the road?   Shosh has a use for her marketing skills and Colin Quinn has someone to help him.  Going anti-hipster, pro-working person?  Isn't there already a coffee place that has that niche covered?  Let me think.  Yes, it's called Dunkin Donuts.   Dill had to tell Elijah the truth.  Elijah IS aimless and nothing more than a toy in Dill's world.  Sending Elijah toward Hannah's mother was a good resolution.  She can help him to grow up and he can help her to loosen up and be herself.   Hannah's dad going to his former one night stand was also a good resolution for that character.  He'll have a stable relationship within which to figure things out.  Too bad Mom and Dad don't live in NYC.   

Overall, everyone's storyline had a ribbon tied on it.

Edited by terrymct
  • Love 2

The Adam/Jessa fight was stupid for so many reasons.  It was horrifically violent (I'm assuming they were purposely channeling "The Shining" there).  It also continued Lena Dunham's self absorption that this couple would have this knock down drag out fight over her.  Jessa is the worst written character on TV, and it's a tragedy that this great actress is given such garbage.  Adam's character has always vacillated between rapist and angelic devoted boyfriend, so I don't even look to him for consistency.

Hannah stealing the bike and slamming it to the ground later was a real asshole move.  This woman is literally the worst.  

It's a problem when the best people on GIRLS are the men.

• Love 12

Because of the way they were on the DVr I accidentally watched the finale before the previous one and found there was nothing I didn't understand or could not have predicted!

ETA: glad I, not the only one who didn't think stealing the bike was cute or making fun of its owner pictorially as a nerd with a briefcase. Ugh show. That person was NOT aimless and probably works hard. Not cool.

I do ship marnie and ray. The way she could be herself around him means a lot, and he loves her, whether or not he should, he does.

Edited by lucindabelle
  • Love 7

Stick a Dunkin Donuts in the middle of any hipster enclave anywhere and it will crush the coffee shops around it BUT, if there's no Dunkin Donuts nearby, you CAN thrive as a "real working person's coffee shop." That place will attract actual working people, and it will also attract hipsters who want to patronize a "real working person's coffee shop." So that marketing idea made sense.

• Love 4

One thing we learned about Jessa in this episode - the carpet doesn't match the drapes. That strip was kind of like a pubic Hitler mustache.

The thing I kept thinking all during that horrific fight was that Jessa and Adam were destroying Ray's apartment, not their own. How completely irredeemable. It would be fine for me if they destroyed their own apartment and themselves, but to do that to someone else's apartment is inexcusable. I guess no good deed goes unpunished.

Hannah's still horrible. She thinks it's cute and whimsical to steal someone's bike. And her bit at the slam was B O R I N G and self-indulgent.

I don't understand how Shoshanna became my favorite character in this mess.

• Love 11

All the bullshit about feelings and being successful or not and who's fucking who, but Hannah stole someone's bicycle.

What the fuck people. Is it Lena's goal to make everyone hate Hannah? What an asshole.

• Love 9

Desi's "I love your website" comment during the groupie BJ was hysterical because you know he's getting off on thinking about the website and not the actual oral sex.

What is everyone's interpretation of Jessa's post-fight/post-sex gaze? Adam is next to her sweaty and trying to catch his breath and she is calm, thinking about something...

Also, what is the symbolism of Jessa's public hair? Represents the lines/boundaries that she crossed?

• Love 2

Hannah's encounter with Tally did a few things: (1) gave Lena the chance to muse on how her success has set her (even further) askew from the experiences of her contemporaries; (2) gave viewers the chance to be reminded why Lena is not Hannah; (3) gave Hannah the chance to listen and empathize with someone else, because she was not in fierce, frightened competition with her: competition all the more deadly (to Hannah) because done in denial.

That was good enough. To cap it off, though, Lena allowed Hannah to have her next encounter with Jessa and Adam together happen right then, out of the blue -- when Hannah was high, at peace with absurdity, and not alone -- in sync with just the right companion of the moment. That was kind, and I laughed too. 

• Love 3

I didn't think the clarity was odd, because it was the old saying the grass is always greener...When the girl was sitting there crying because she realized she had nothing left to say, and seemed to have loss sense of herself, I think Hannah had a realization that it could be just the beginning for her. She was looking at the girl as if wow, you're a "real" writer and you've accomplished so much, only to hear the girl express the opposite.

From the time she came back from Iowa Hannah's been in a rut, aimless, and feeling that her life thus far hadn't amounted to anything. Speaking with this old schoolmate made her feel like her experiences mattered and that she still had a lot to say.  Her turn around made sense to me.

I agree - the whole thing with Tally was one of those little insights you have in life where you get out of your own shit and realize that no one has all of the answers. No one. In the surface of what Hannah knows about a lot of her peers - Adam's career is taking off and he's happy with his beautiful girlfriend who is going back to school for her career. Marnie's music is taking off and yes she's getting divorced but she's pretty Marnie and will find love again. As far as Hannah is aware, Shosh kicked ass in Japan. In Hannah's self-centered world, she just broke up with her boyfriend, hasn't written anything and quit her job. So to have someone there who says "Listen, I have what you want and it sucks and I'm not happy either" was an eye opener for her and I think it gave her just enough clarity that no one knwos what they're doing but you gotta just move forward and keep trying. 

• Love 8

Oh Hannah, you're the last person who should be criticizing somebody else's hair style.

Dill's breakup with Elijah seemed cruel

But that was one good-looking jacket.

Edited by LuciaMia
  • Love 2

I liked this more than any other finale the show has done, and I didn't even mind the fight because it seemed like the correct climax for that relationship. My only negative is that it seemed they were trying to portray that Laird was high when he picked up Sample, and I basically was distracted for the rest of the show worrying about that poor sweet fictional baby. 

One other thing: For me, Hannah's bad clothing has gotten to be too much of a joke. Hannah in early seasons was a bad/awkward dresser, and I hope that will never change because some people just are. But it seems like her outfits have gotten worse and worse, and more revealing in the least flattering ways. I noticed Hannah's "we don't have the same body type" line, as though she were offended--so it's like which is it? Is Hannah in denial about whether it looks good to let your rolls hang out of too-small outfits, or is Hannah practicing self-acceptance about her "atypical body type"? 

• Love 4

I agree - the whole thing with Tally was one of those little insights you have in life where you get out of your own shit and realize that no one has all of the answers. No one. In the surface of what Hannah knows about a lot of her peers - Adam's career is taking off and he's happy with his beautiful girlfriend who is going back to school for her career. Marnie's music is taking off and yes she's getting divorced but she's pretty Marnie and will find love again. As far as Hannah is aware, Shosh kicked ass in Japan. In Hannah's self-centered world, she just broke up with her boyfriend, hasn't written anything and quit her job. So to have someone there who says "Listen, I have what you want and it sucks and I'm not happy either" was an eye opener for her and I think it gave her just enough clarity that no one knwos what they're doing but you gotta just move forward and keep trying. 

Well said. I am in the arts (well arts journalist now) and recall how some friends, sometimes even myself, would be bitterly jealous of others who seemed to have it all. Actors are prone to it, but writers too. There was one writer who seemed to get everything I wanted first-- byline in this paper, etc. culminating with my grad school professor decamping to her school and she became his advisee.

I was ranting about this one day when a friend said to me, but, Lucindabelle, she's fat.

And it all clicked. Not about fat/thin. But about you can't be just part of someone you have to be it ALL. I'm sure loads of people were envious of Christopher Reeve-- until he became a quadriplegic.

You don't know what life has in store for people, and what's going on inside them. That's a huge life lesson. I was well older than Hannah when it hit home.

I like Dill and don't think he was jerky at all to Elijah. He'd never promised him monogamy. Elijah pushed. On the one hand I guess he was right to go for it but on the other hand he had no reason to think Dill would commit to him or was even in love with him so early on.He was in a tough position-- to wait would make him feel icky, but to do it so early was self-sabotaging. I probably would have waited and felt icky.

• Love 4

I think Hannah's mom's story about being happy that the friend who stole her boyfriend was dead, gave Hannah pause. I saw her face and she did not agree with that sentiment especially since she spent the earlier part of the episode telling that schoolmate that she still loves both Jessa and Adam.

That was the height off of her Come to Jesus moment which she finally ended with a pretty cool fruit basket, accompanied by a heartfelt note, and  a pretty cool story.

Edited by represent
  • Love 7

I mean, like I said, Dill made sense. He was never going to settle down with Elijah because as we know, Elijah isn't the first and only aimless 20 something he has been with or is with currently. If Dill wants to be committed, it would be with someone else. 

I ship Marnie and Ray, I want Ray to be happy, but a part of me wishes it wasn't like this. I really wish Desi was no longer on the show as it's making me nervous that Marnie might fall back into him for reasons. I know, I'm one of few but I actually like Marnie sometimes. I don't have a strong dislike for her as I do Hannah and I don't hate her like I do Jessa but I like her and I want her better for her. I like Marnie of season 1 and wish she was back.

I guess Hannah was alright these two episodes, although the first couple of minutes of the first episode when she was yelling at Fran reminded me she still is a little crazy. 

A day later and I still don't understand Jessa and Adam's fault or what I'm supposed to take from that. 

Sosh is adorable. Although at the whole of the season, she was probably the only character who was enjoyable throughout the season. Aside from last weeks bump in the road episode, she's been pretty consistent about being happy for the most part. Also I have to admit, when she first walked into the coffee shop and Ray was very happy to see her was cute. And dancing at the end of episode with Colin Quinn was adorable. It makes me wish that this show was all about Rays. 

• Love 3

The best part of the episode was the Romney poster hanging in the coffee shop, because that's Shoshanna's perception of what working adults like.

LOL, then there was a sign about the government being good. Colin and that coffee shop scene of flat out discrimination, then there were two uniformed cops sitting right at the counter to witness it, just hilarious. He was standing right next them and they didn't flinch when he yelled at the hippie, bun guy to leave. I busted out laughing. 

Then the crack about tattoos and if you didn't get them as a soldier in like a world war, then you're not welcomed...So many funny lines, it was the funniest part of the finale for me. 

I guess Hannah was alright these two episodes, although the first couple of minutes of the first episode when she was yelling at Fran reminded me she still is a little crazy.

Actually, I saw her as being very sane, her raised voice didn't distract me  because Fran was also screaming his points. The problem was, his points made no sense and hers did. She offered to call/pay for car service, but it just wasn't working and when she said out loud to him that he didn't even like her, he never denied it. Instead he said so what to that, and the loved her. Come again?

Look, it is very true that you may not like family members, but you still love them. But this is not that case, they are not  family. I wouldn't even say they've been together long enough.  They have not been in a relationship, even married where they started out truly bonded, really liking each other, best friends, a deep bond of love and as the relationship went on changes occurred. They had times like all couples have when you're not really liking one another but the love is still there under the surface. Then yeah, I would get his sticking around and fighting for it.  They just are not a good match, and they don't even have long enough of a history IMO for Fran to be carrying on this way.

Why in the hell one would want to start out with someone they don't even like is beyond me.  All I can say is he too, is on the long list of characters on this show whose flaws continue to get in their way of finding true happiness. 

Yeah, this scene was surely a green check mark for Hannah, an adult moment, unlike in the last  episode with her running through the bathroom in her pajamas, outdoors, to avoid this much needed conversation with Fran.

Edited by represent
  • Love 2

I liked it more than I expected. Marnie and Shoshana seem to be on one show and Hannah and Jessa and Elijah on a different show. As always when Adam gets violent, it makes me uncomfortable. But I thought it was interesting that Jessa said she wasn't scared of him. Why shouldn't she be? It bothered me to see him regress in that way. I don't need him to be perfect, but that was way too much.

Elijah broke my heart. The actor killed it during the breakup. Killed it. He looked so young and heartbroken. And sincere. I wasn't expecting him to be so sincere and not arch. It was both painful and wonderful and I hope he progresses. And I loved him with Hannah's folks. He's the son they never had.

And I loved that both Hannah's parents insisted she upgrade her Moth outfit! HA! Two comments on her wardrobe in one episode. Loved it.

Shoshana delights me. This whole season has been really good for her. She's the most consistently amusing character on this show other than Ray. And rather than fall into self pity what does she do? She leans in and gets to work, helping out a man she knows will appreciate her help (Ray).

I hate Ray and Marnie. She is so unworthy. I like him better with Shoshana. Or maybe someone altogether new.

Hannah told a good story. It felt like a typical Moth Hour story. A bit rough. I wish she had sounded a tad more nervous, but Hannah doesn't really get stage fright. But I also dislike Hannah so much that I hated seeing her suddenly be the mature one at the expense of Adam and Jessa. Like why did Jessa and Adam have to have that knockout fight? Isn't there enough inherent drama in them being addicts and the baby situation? But that fight had nothing to do with either of those well established character traits and everything to do with making them look bad so Hannah looked relatively mature. Hated it.

• Love 2

This episode made me realize I had no idea what Hannah's last name was. When they called her at the Moth event, I thought the joke was that they called another Hannah.

They say her last name every episode.

Mostly in her bajillion teacher scenes, or job interviews, and teaching/writing/college exercises.

• Love 1

I think Hannah's mom's story about being happy that the friend who stole her boyfriend was dead, gave Hannah pause. I saw her face and she did not agree with that sentiment especially since she spent the earlier part of the episode telling that schoolmate that she still loves both Jessa and Adam.

And I love how completely unrepentant her mother felt about that feeling.  There's a toughness to her mom I am only appreciating this season, but I can recognize it has always been there.  She was the one who cut Hannah off at the beginning of the series. 

• Love 7

I was ranting about this one day when a friend said to me, but, Lucindabelle, she's fat.

And it all clicked. Not about fat/thin.

I'm glad you added that second line because wow.  Being fat isn't a disease.  Really.  That said, I think the finale was the first time I've ever heard Hannah describe Jessa as beautiful.  I always assumed that Hannah considered Marnie the pretty one.  Jessa was the train wreck one with admittedly really good hair and a posh sounding accent.  

• Love 1

This was definitely the cutest Hannah's ever looked. She looked like Lena Dunham, in fact.

Her Moth dress was the most flattering we've ever seen on Hannah. How can she and her mother afford Eileen Fisher?
  • Love 3

Well, a few episodes back, Jessa did say to Adam they couldn't get together because they'd destroy each other. Now she just needs to fulfill the other part of that prophecy and end up pregnant in Mexico.

I loved Shosh and boss guy dancing together too. So cute, and she looked so happy.

Hannah seemed to me to be showing some signs of growth at the end. That she was willing to forgive Adam and Jessa and reconcile with Tally. That she is starting to work on herself with the exercise and writing. I think those are all signs of positive growth.

• Love 3