Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Just now, Bastet said:

Aw, he and Renee Taylor just celebrated their 52nd anniversary on Friday.  The last part of that tidbit, from the linked obit, gave me a chuckle:  "They celebrated their 52nd anniversary on Friday and renewed their vows five times — in a different religion on each occasion."

I liked their collaborations, particularly Made For Each Other.

I also liked the part where she said it was love at first sight when she met him.  She took one look and said "This is the man I'm going to marry." He, on the other hand, was thinking "This woman is looking at me very strangely."

Fifty-two years of marriage is quite a good run.  Bless them both for showing everyone else how it's done.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Joseph Bologna of "My Favorite Year" and "The Woman in Red," dead at 82.

RIP, Mr. Bologna!

My Favorite Year is by no means a perfect movie, but I love watching it over and over, and Mr. Bologna is one of the reasons.  "Well, we know he can do that."

Edited by Inquisitionist
Corrected typo.
  • Love 7

Just read about Joseph Bologna. That name, ( not Joe), was so funny to me when I was younger. And I remember so well that we had HBO when it hadn't been around very long, or at least where I lived it hadn't, and they used to run "Blame it on Rio' quite a bit. It also co-starred a very young Demi Moore and Michele Johnson ( what ever happened to her ?) in a brief, but well-worth-it, topless scene. That was back in the day before HBO started messing with the signal so you couldn't record the shows. Pretty much every guy I knew made a copy of that one ! It was a different time. The actual movie doesn't hold up all that well, but it's not bad. I haven't seen "My Favorite Year" for ages, I didn't remember him being in that, it's been so long. Maybe Netflix will add it, they do that sometimes when someone passes away. Also, the 52-year thing is very impressive !

• Love 3

From People.com: Robert ("Robbie") Yancy, the late Grammy-winner Natalie Cole's only child, & grandson of legendary singer Nat "King" Cole, dead at 39; Natural Causes/Heart Attack

The heart attack cause is entirely plausible. Robert's father, Marvin Yancy, also died of a heart attack when he was only 34. I don't remember if Marvin Yancy & Natalie Cole were still married at the time of his death.

Also... Multiple sources state that the cause of death for actor John Heard was a heart attack.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a couple more comments.
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Cherry Bomb said:

Wow, 39 years old and a Heart Attack. How sad. May he RIP.

Indeed, and it just goes to show you how suddenly it can happen.  My youngest brother was only 39 when pneumonia took him from my family almost ten years ago.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, legaleagle53 said:

Indeed, and it just goes to show you how suddenly it can happen.  My youngest brother was only 39 when pneumonia took him from my family almost ten years ago.

I am so sorry. That is so awful. Things certainly do happen quickly. I lost both my parents in an automobile accident shortly after I turned turned 17 and my older sister was 20.  My Mom was 45 and my Dad was 46. 

• Love 1

So sorry to hear about Joe Bologna!!!!

I enjoyed his work as a character actor for years!   Loved him in " My Favorite Year".  He and Renee came to our studio a few years back to promote "If You're Leaving, I'm Coming With You!"  the play they co-starred in.   They seemed like down to earth people.  

I also remember his appearance in The Nanny in which he played a testy actor Mr. Sheffield tries to recruit for a play. 

He will be missed!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

That's tragic.  I've read about his work for years (although, as noted in that Guardian piece, when interviewed, he was quick to shift the focus to others). Lotter dedicated his entire adult life to the cause, and may very well have been killed for it. 

As an animal lover, this pains me more than a celeb's death. Just awful.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, LadyArcadia said:

Bruce Forsyth passed away. British celebrity

He was on Bruce Forsyth's Hot Streak on ABC when I was 5, and what saddens me about that is that he didn't last as long there as Richard Dawson did on Feud on that same network. Why did Richard last longer on Feud than Bruce did on Hot Streak?

bruceforsythshotstreak1986.jpg

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

Damn.  I encourage everyone to read that linked obit; he broke through some significant barriers as a stand-up comedian, and went on to dedicate himself to more direct activism. 

He often did shows at my college in the years he wasn't doing clubs.  A loss indeed. 

FWIW, if you read the obit it says he beat cancer in 2001 so add 1 to the plus column in the 'fuck cancer' tally.  However, it goes to show that when it's your time, it's your time.

• Love 5

And here's a breaking news announcement of Jerry Lewis' death from 1 of the entertainment news columnists at the Las Vegas Review-Journal newspaper:

From the Las Vegas Review-Journal: Entertainment Legend Jerry Lewis Dead at Age 91

I'm surprised none of the cable news networks are covering this yet. Unless I missed it or they don't have it yet. You'd think coverage would be nonstop for awhile once they got the news. OK... It seems to be on CNN now; they seem to be talking about him to Penn Jillette from the Penn & Teller illusion/magic act which plays in Las Vegas.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To change the form of a word I used and to add info.
2 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

I'm surprised none of the cable news networks are covering this yet. Unless I missed it or they don't have it yet. You'd think coverage would be nonstop for awhile once they got the news.

CNN just made it breaking news a little bit ago.

So will France fly its flags at half-mast with this news of Mr. Lewis?  I wonder if the upcoming Labor Day Telethon will attempt any kind of tribute despite the not entirely-friendly parting of ways. Considering ALL he survived, it's a bit of a shocker! RIP, Mr. Lewis.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Blergh said:

So will France fly its flags at half-mast with this news of Mr. Lewis?  I wonder if the upcoming Labor Day Telethon will attempt any kind of tribute despite the not entirely-friendly parting of ways. Considering ALL he survived, it's a bit of a shocker! RIP, Mr. Lewis.

I agree.  He wasn't the most pleasant person to be around, I've heard, but he showed celebrities how to do a telethon right and he accomplished a lot.

91 is a good age.  Rest in peace, Sir.

• Love 5

Whenever I think of Jerry Lewis, I think of the episode of Buffalo Bill (a very underappreciated- IMO -  show from the early 80s about a Buffalo TV station) where the station is having a Jerry Lewis Contest, and the studio is crawling with people acting as Jerry Lewis in all obnoxious forms.  One of the impersonators was an uncredited Jim Carrey. 

MSNBC is showing a repeat of Meet the Press but has a banner with the breaking news, saying coverage at 3:00 Eastern.

• Love 3

Well, damn. This was a long time coming.

My dad loves the Martin and Lewis movies, especially Scared Stiff. I got a kick out of his "idiot" voice: all he had to do was yell "LAAAA-RYYYY!" and it cracked us up.

Every comedian owes something to Jerry Lewis. Hope he met up with Dean.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Blergh said:

The Labor Day Telethons actually ended in 2014. Jerry's last as host/the last aired on MDA's "Love Network" of local stations was in 2010. After that, the remaining telethons aired on ABC, in increasingly shorter form (6 hours in 2011, 3 hours in 2012, 2 hours in 2013 & 2014), & it was called The MDA Show of Strength from 2012-2014.

Here's Jerry's Publicist's official statement on his death, from the same source as my "Breaking News" post the Las Vegas Review-Journal

• Love 2

Re Jerry Lewis:

Anybody else remember -

One hen

Two ducks

Three squawking geese

Four Limerick oysters

Five corpulent porpoises...

OK guys, the rest is on you.

Edited by spiderpig
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, spiderpig said:

After the age of ten, all I heard was about what a jerk he was.

Nihil nisi bonum. Yes, he had his faults, but he was an institution, and one that I grew up watching (we ALWAYS watched the telethons every year in my house!).  RIP, Mr. Lewis.

Edited by legaleagle53
Removal of content that was just plain WRONG.
  • Love 3