Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

I’m sorry to hear about Mary Higgins Clark, although at her age her death is hardly surprising. I had the opportunity many years ago to meet and chat with her privately for an hour or so. She was both gracious and down to earth, sharing how she got into writing full-time after her husband died fairly young and she was left with five kids to raise. 

• Love 16
24 minutes ago, BookWoman56 said:

I’m sorry to hear about Mary Higgins Clark, although at her age her death is hardly surprising. I had the opportunity many years ago to meet and chat with her privately for an hour or so. She was both gracious and down to earth, sharing how she got into writing full-time after her husband died fairly young and she was left with five kids to raise. 

I didn’t even know that she was that old.

• Love 1
On 2/2/2020 at 9:30 AM, roamyn said:

I got to meet her years ago ata luncheon/speech, and she took time to talk with us personally.  When she found out I loved to write, but was afraid to put anything out there, she gave me advice & encouragement.  While I never wrote professionally, I ha e discovered fan fiction, and wrote quite prolifically on several fandoms, eventually winning a couple awards.

RIP Ms. Clark and thank you for the years of enjoyment reading.

What a lovely story, Roamyn!  I read some of her books when I was much younger, and recall liking them but not feeling the need to read absolutely everything she ever wrote (tastes change, c'est la vie). It's heartening to learn that she was a good person and willing to give advice and support to other writers. Too much of what I read on this site (pretty much my only exposure to popular culture these days) reveals ugly behavior, exposes talented and famous people as entitled assholes. It's sometimes hard to remember that not everyone is a jerk, so thanks for sharing your positive experience! (slightly off topic: In which fandoms do you write? Do you post on AO3? I'm always looking for good authors/stories. I don't see a private message feature, and clearly this is not the place to reply. If there's an appropriate thread, please reply there -- and point me to it.)

Edited by praeceptrix
  • Love 5
43 minutes ago, praeceptrix said:

I don't see a private message feature, and clearly this is not the place to reply. If there's an appropriate thread, please reply there -- and point me to it.)

Probably the mods can explain better, but there's an envelope at the top of each page, near your user name.  That's the PM function.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

from the article above:  

The director, producer and writer — a former child actor — also had a hand in developing the groundbreaking 'Room 222' en route to winning six Emmy Awards.

Aw, I loved Room 222.  It debuted while I was in Catholic grade school and gave me a little inkling of what to expect when I'd eventually go on to a public high school.  The show's star, Lloyd Haines, died much too young of cancer.  At least Mr. Reynolds lived to a very ripe old age.  Thanks for the memories!

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, bmasters9 said:

I wonder if Michael has heard of his father's death yet.

According to multiple sources Michael Douglas read the statement announcing the news. Was there a reason he wouldn't have known (or have been there)?

• Love 4
1 minute ago, theredhead77 said:

According to multiple sources Michael Douglas read the statement announcing the news. Was there a reason he wouldn't have known (or have been there)?

My guess is that Kirk Douglas died more than an hour ago, or whenever this was reported, and his entire family was there/was informed before it became public.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, OtterMommy said:

My guess is that Kirk Douglas died more than an hour ago, or whenever this was reported, and his entire family was there/was informed before it became public.

That is what I was thinking. I presumed since elder Douglas wasn't in the best of health they would have been there, or close by.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Just saw a YouTube video of the CBS Evening News segment of earlier where Norah said that Michael gave them word of Kirk's death:

• Love 1
14 hours ago, kittykat said:

Damn he's been a constant on death pools for fifteen years now.  RIP Kirk, one hell of a life.

I thought perhaps he (or someone else equally legendary) had died a week & a half ago, when Kobe Bryant’s helicopter had the crash that was, sadly, fatal to all on board. I say this because I had been asleep when the news channels & networks broke into programming (I’m assuming the networks did anyway) to announce/cover it & I missed all that. When I woke up & got here, I noticed the “HOT” designation with the thread title, so I assumed someone legendary had passed & there was a lot of talk about whomever, but I never expected it would be Kobe, his daughter & the others aboard the helicopter on that day.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

I am one of those people who usually don’t give a crap about Actors and their lives and what goes on during a movie or tv show.  But one of the things that makes Spartacus so fascinating is that it’s success Helped bring about the end of the Hollywood Blacklists.   Kirk Douglas didn’t have to use a blacklisted writer.     He insisted on it.   If Spartacus had failed it would have meant the end of his career as well.  There were plenty of people betting on both it’s success and it’s failure.    

I don’t find Hollywood lives fascinating but I do find the Hollywood Blacklist era fascinating.   In large part because my grandfather on my father’s side reportingly knew McCarthy.    

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Useful 3
  • Love 17
5 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

And I so hope that rumor about Natalie Wood wasn't true. But if so I hope your paying for that now. 

That is a rumor that is really persistent.  Like everybody knew about Harvey Weinstein persistent.  And Natalie wasn't the only one so the rumors go.  Just the highest profile.  So I am inclined to believe it.  Also I read that her mother was a notorious stage mother who would have told her to just shut up and smile.

I will say on the art-not-the-artist front, one of my favorite Douglas movies was Out of The Past and really not because of him.  He was an utter slimeball in that movie.  But the lead actress Jane Greer was such a pitch perfect film noir femme fatale.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, bmasters9 said:

Did not realize-- will have to look.

I’m posting a link from USA Today about the death, which includes the statement issued by Michael/in his name on Instagram, in the Celebrity News thread (so it doesn’t cross any lines about if the content is[n’t] appropriate here). I’m also posting another USA Today article with tributes from his daughter-in-law, Catherine Zeta-Jones, & other actors in the same thread.

• Love 1

My favorite three Kirk Douglas movies:

Ace in the Hole from 1951 directed by Billy Wilder remains relevant and prescient today.

Paths of Glory from 1957 directed by Stanley Kubrick a fantastic anti-war film

Spartacus 1960 also directed by Stanley Kubrick:

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 5