Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I do feel bad for his family. But yeah, the fact that the news reports and social media comments are glossing over that is disturbing.

Given that he was not convicted, perhaps they are adhering to the general practice of avoiding speaking ill of the dead.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, meowmommy said:

Given that he was not convicted, perhaps they are adhering to the general practice of avoiding speaking ill of the dead.

Considering he admitted to it, and many people commit crimes and are never convicted, and it’s part of his history, I think it should be included in the reports.

• Love 13

I’m definitely interested in hearing more details, as the preliminary report doesn’t really make sense so far: primarily the witness statement about hearing the engine sputter. It’s an S76 helicopter, it has two engines. If one goes out, it can still fly. The odds of both of them going out at the same time are really really unlikely.

• Useful 6
  • Love 2

I realize Wikipedia is not always the best source it is the easiest and this article cites it's sources

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_Bryant_sexual_assault_case

Here's a snippet about the settlement and part of his apology (bolding mine)

Before the case was scheduled to go to trial, his accuser filed a civil lawsuit against Bryant over the incident. The two sides ultimately settled that lawsuit, with specific terms of the settlement being undisclosed to the public.[18] Bryant did, however, issue the following statement through his attorney, as part of an agreement with the accuser to dismiss the sexual assault charge:

I also want to make it clear that I do not question the motives of this young woman. No money has been paid to this woman. She has agreed that this statement will not be used against me in the civil case. Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.

I issue this statement today fully aware that while one part of this case ends today, another remains. I understand that the civil case against me will go forward. That part of this case will be decided by and between the parties directly involved in the incident and will no longer be a financial or emotional drain on the citizens of the state of Colorado.[19]

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, BlackberryJam said:

Considering he admitted to it, and many people commit crimes and are never convicted, and it’s part of his history, I think it should be included in the reports.

I'm not disagreeing with you.  It's only been literally a few minutes since this was confirmed.  I suspect as more time passes, more will be said.  News outlets usually have tons of pre-canned obituaries, but I seriously doubt Kobe Bryant was one of them.  They're actually having to write these from scratch.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, meowmommy said:

I'm not disagreeing with you.  It's only been literally a few minutes since this was confirmed.  I suspect as more time passes, more will be said.  News outlets usually have tons of pre-canned obituaries, but I seriously doubt Kobe Bryant was one of them.  They're actually having to write these from scratch.

Any news outlet worth its salt has the Kobe info right at it’s fingertips. I certainly don’t want to put that poor woman through to again, but “Kobe Bryant, basketball legend and admitted rapist, died...” is a pretty easy headline. 

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

I don’t know anything about Kobe’s career as I don’t follow basketball so I will always have to remember him as a guy who raped a hotel employee in his room. 

He was aquitted. And there were serious questions about the accuser's honesty that came out after the trial.

• Love 5

From TMZ:

12:35 PM PT -- Kobe's daughter Gianna Maria -- aka GiGi -- was also on board the helicopter and died in the crash ... reps for Kobe tell TMZ Sports. She was 13.

We're told they were on their way to the Mamba Academy for a basketball practice when the crash occurred. The Academy is in nearby Thousand Oaks.

Edited by MikaelaArsenault
12 minutes ago, bobalina said:

He was aquitted. And there were serious questions about the accuser's honesty that came out after the trial.

He was not acquitted. The accuser, after having being dragged hard, agreed to dismiss the charges and he agreed to reading a statement in court, as quoted above, admitting to the act and that it was not consensual.

I am very sorry for his daughter.

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Love 12
10 minutes ago, bobalina said:

Was he acquitted by a jury? It's been a long time and I can't find any sources that it ever went to trial. From the same Wiki article I posted upthread

On September 1, 2004, Eagle County District Judge Terry Ruckriegle dismissed the charges against Bryant, after prosecutors spent more than $200,000 preparing for trial, because his accuser informed them that she was unwilling to testify.[17]

so it sounds like there was a settlement, he admitted wrongdoing and there was no trial or acquittal.

24 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The first thing I heard was a completely unconfirmed and, as far as I've seen, not repeated (did I emphasize that enough) report that something about the initial information from the sheriff's office indicates his daughters may be among the others killed in the crash,

Apparently it wasn't completely off; Bryant's rep has now said the 13-year-old daughter was among the victims. 

15 minutes ago, bobalina said:

He wasn't acquitted. There was no trial. She wouldn't testify and he eventually paid her a civil settlement. And in nearly every case of a rape victim coming forward, her "honesty" is nearly always questioned -- that's why women are reluctant to report. And this was his statement after the fact:

First, I want to apologize directly to the young woman involved in this incident. I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year. Although this year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colo.

I also want to make it clear that I do not question the motives of this young woman. No money has been paid to this woman. She has agreed that this statement will not be used against me in the civil case. Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.

A good primer from Deadspin (RIP): Why Isn't Kobe Bryant a Fucking Pariah Yet?

I'm sorry that his daughter died. 

8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Apparently it wasn't completely off; Bryant's rep has now said the 13-year-old daughter was among the victims. 

2 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

He wasn't acquitted. There was no trial. She wouldn't testify and he eventually paid her a civil settlement. And in nearly every case of a rape victim coming forward, her "honesty" is nearly always questioned -- that's why women are reluctant to report. And this was his statement after the fact:

A good primer from Deadspin (RIP): Why Isn't Kobe Bryant a Fucking Pariah Yet?

I'm sorry that his daughter died. 

That's just wicked sad.

That's horrible about his daughter. 13 is way too young.

Yeah, Kobe wasn't acquitted because the victim dropped the charges and that's not the same thing. Even if it was., well R Kelly was "acquitted" at his first trial too.

I feel bad about bringing this up when he and his daughter have just died but we shouldn't pretend it didn't happen either. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Spartan Girl said:

That's horrible about his daughter. 13 is way too young.

Yeah, Kobe wasn't acquitted because the victim dropped the charges and that's not the same thing. Even if it was., well R Kelly was "acquitted" at his first trial too.

I feel bad about bringing this up when he and his daughter have just died but we shouldn't pretend it didn't happen either. 

Yes, the only reason I think it should be brought up is to avoid any canonization of the man. He had amazing talent and skill and probably did many good things in his life. He was likely loved very much by his children. But that doesn’t change what happened back in 2003 or make it right. If we don’t acknowledge that, it gets swept under the rug. Kobe Bryant certainly wasn’t the worst human being to walk the planet, and not the worst human being in the NBA, but he wasn’t a good person either.

• Love 21

At approximately 10 a.m. Pacific Standard Time on January 26, 2020, Bryant and four others were killed in a helicopter crash in Calabasas, California. His 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, was on the helicopter with him, along with her teammate, her teammate's parent, and the pilot. They were on their way to a travel basketball game.

Initial reports indicated that the Sikorsky S-76 crashed in the mountains above Calabasas in heavy fog. The incident is under investigation.

16 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Yes, the only reason I think it should be brought up is to avoid any canonization of the man. He had amazing talent and skill and probably did many good things in his life. He was likely loved very much by his children. But that doesn’t change what happened back in 2003 or make it right. If we don’t acknowledge that, it gets swept under the rug. Kobe Bryant certainly wasn’t the worst human being to walk the planet, and not the worst human being in the NBA, but he wasn’t a good person either.

The only thing done by bringing it up now is torturing his children. Some of whom arw old enough to surf the net. I'm sorry but LA news at the time announced him aquitted. This is why I hate #metoo. It torments victims and families who do not deserve it. I'll show myself out

• Love 6
1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

He was not acquitted. The accuser, after having being dragged hard, agreed to dismiss the charges and he agreed to reading a statement in court, as quoted above, admitting to the act and that it was not consensual.

I am very sorry for his daughter.

This is more or less where I am, too. It has always BAFFLED me how much this case got overlooked/forgotten after 2003, but I feel terrible for his family and friends, and especially his daughter. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 16
2 minutes ago, UYI said:

It has always BAFFLED me how much this case got overlooked/forgotten after 2003,

He and the NBA have excellent public relations people. 

LA County Sheriff reports there are NINE people confirmed dead in the helicopter crash that killed Kobe Bryant and his daughter.  The sheriff declined to identify any of the victims, saying that he believe is it disrespectful to the families to give names until the coroner has completed identification.  

NBC News says they have confirmed that Bryant and his daughter were among the victims, but the sheriff wouldn't go there.

Edited by doodlebug
10 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

LA County Sheriff reports there are NINE people confirmed dead in the helicopter crash that killed Kobe Bryant and his daughter.  The sheriff declined to identify any of the victims, saying that he believe is it disrespectful to the families to give names until the coroner has completed identification.  

NBC News says they have confirmed that Bryant and his daughter were among the victims, but the sheriff wouldn't go there.

Oh wow.

21 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

This is bonkers. I know they’re reporting Kobe and his daughter, but I really hope the entire family wasn’t wiped out in this crash. 

1 minute ago, NowVoyager said:

Wooow! Can you imagine the families learning about this through the media?! Omigosh...

I was on Twitter when it hit the social media. It was WILD how fast my feed was just covered with it.

3 minutes ago, SnoGirl said:

This is bonkers. I know they’re reporting Kobe and his daughter, but I really hope the entire family wasn’t wiped out in this crash. 

I was on Twitter when it hit the social media. It was WILD how fast my feed was just covered with it.

I know that his wife was not on the plane.

10 minutes ago, NowVoyager said:

Wooow! Can you imagine the families learning about this through the media?! Omigosh...

This is disgusting. Has all humanity been lost in an effort to report on a tragedy first?

I feel terrible for the families. I can only imagine their horror in learning this news from the media rather than law enforcement who would’ve at least been able to provide more clarity about what happen, than the speculative media. Very sad. 

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, SnoGirl said:

It's been reported that Kobe & 1 of his daughters was on the plane. The 7 other people onboard that also died were unrelated to the Bryant family.

47 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I don't blame the sheriff from not going there.   Twitter was wild with "reports" on the other deceased.  At one point,  people were saying Rick Fox was on board until Rick's daughter put that to rest.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Enero said:

This is disgusting. Has all humanity been lost in an effort to report on a tragedy first?

I feel terrible for the families. I can only imagine their horror in learning this news from the media rather than law enforcement who would’ve at least been able to provide more clarity about what happen, than the speculative media. Very sad. 

Agree! But alas, this is not a new development. Virtually EVERY member of Rick Nelson's family learned of his death in that plane crash on the night of New Year's Eve,1985 and New Year's Day, 1986 via the media with no one  from law enforcement informing of them- not just his  four children but also his older brother David and their elderly mother Harriet learned that awful news that way.  I've never understood why no one in law enforcement  didn't seem to think to somehow  to make sure the Nelsons were privately informed before this became a media circus. 

As for Mr. Bryant, I'm not about to pretend that his sudden death makes him even remotely a saint. However, it has to be horrible for his widow and the mother of their 13-year-old daughter to suddenly  lose two family members this way (to say nothing of the family members of the other plane crash victims). 

• Love 9

I wonder if the Motion Picture Academy has this year’s In Memoriam locked down yet? If they do, they should probably unlock it & add 1 person (at least, depending on what else happens between now & February 8 or 9; the Oscars are on February 9th). Most people have probably forgotten, but Kobe won an Oscar in 2018, as part of the team behind the Best Animated Short that year, Dear Basketball, which was based on something—the media’s calling it a poem—Kobe wrote on his retirement from basketball. So he deserves to be among those remembered at this year’s ceremony.

I’m shocked by this (I slept most of the afternoon & awoke to learn the news at dinner time; when I saw the “Hot” designation on the thread, I figured somebody BIG must’ve passed, but I never dreamed it would be Kobe & his daughter).

I’m saddened for Kobe’s family, friends, & other loved ones—sadly, he left 2 daughters, Bianka & Capri, who I think may not be old enough to remember Kobe, or Gianna, all that well (I think they’re pretty close in age, & only somewhere around preschool age, if even that).

I’m also saddened, in a way, for the game of women’s basketball. Kobe had passed his love of the game on to his teenage daughter Gianna (aka GiGi); they were on their way to a game she was to play in when they were killed in the crash. Considering how talented Kobe was, it might’ve been interesting to see if Gianna was as good as, or possibly better than, her dad in the women’s game. Now we’ll never know.

Kobe may not have been perfect (at least off the court). But then, none of us are.

RIP&L Kobe & Gianna

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

I wonder if the Motion Picture Academy has this year’s In Memoriam locked down yet? If they do, they should probably unlock it & add 1 person (at least, depending on what else happens between now & February 8 or 9; the Oscars are on February 9th). Most people have probably forgotten, but Kobe won an Oscar in 2018, as part of the team behind the Best Animated Short that year, Dear Basketball, which was based on something—the media’s calling it a poem—Kobe wrote on his retirement from basketball. So he deserves to be among those remembered at this year’s ceremony.

I’m shocked by this (I slept most of the afternoon & awoke to learn the news at dinner time; when I saw the “Hot” designation on the thread, I figured somebody BIG must’ve passed, but I never dreamed it would be Kobe & his daughter).

I’m saddened for Kobe’s family, friends, & other loved ones—sadly, he left 2 daughters, Bianka & Capri, who I think may not be old enough to remember Kobe, or Gianna, all that well (I think they’re pretty close in age, & only somewhere around preschool age, if even that).

I’m also saddened, in a way, for the game of women’s basketball. Kobe had passed his love of the game on to his teenage daughter Gianna (aka GiGi); they were on their way to a game she was to play in when they were killed in the crash. Considering how talented Kobe was, it might’ve been interesting to see if Gianna was as good as, or possibly better than, her dad in the women’s game. Now we’ll never know.

Kobe may not have been perfect (at least off the court). But then, none of us are.

RIP&L Kobe & Gianna

I really do hope his name does get added.

• Love 2

R.I.P. also to Orange County baseball coach John Altobelli, his wife, Keri, and daughter Alyssa who also died in the crash. Alyssa and Gianna Bryant were teammates. The Altobelli’s two surviving children have lost both parents and their younger sister. 

• Love 1
Just now, MissAlmond said:

The Altobelli’s two surviving children have lost both parents and their younger sister. 

Damn. 

Hopefully there's relatives or somebody else who'll be able to take them in. 

• Love 10

Kobe,Gianna Bryant and the other passengers' deaths are shocking and heartbreaking, to say the least. Although I wasn't a Kobe fan, my heart goes out to all the victims' families, especially Vanessa and their other kids.

Dealing with a loved one's death is tough enough, but doing it in public, with the whole world watching, is even worse. My condolences to all the families.

• Love 10

All 9 of the helicopter crash victims have been identified.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kobe-bryant-helicopter-crash-victims-identified-john-altobelli-keri-altobelli-alyssa-altobelli-christina-mauser/

8 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Marsha Kramer Dies: ‘Modern Family’ Actress Was 74

https://deadline.com/2020/01/marsha-kramer-dies-at-74-1202841477/

That's terrible. I wonder how she died.

Edited by MikaelaArsenault
  • Love 1