Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Null37283t03

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

1 hour ago, xfuse said:

CNN is just pissed that TMZ reported it first.

They didn't post it until five hours after it happened not the one hour CNN said. Harvey said he spent an hour back and forth on the phone with Kobe's people. People knew. 

The deaths weren't used for ratings. TMZ reported them. Its what every news and talk show did. Anything that happens in the world where people would be interested gets reported. 

I would be more likely to believe TMZ just reported it if I knew less about Harvey Levin. Because this isn't the first time this has happened, and as much as I was always ambivalent towards Bryant, there were other people on board that helicopter and other families affected. None of <i>them</i> were celebrities except possibly poor Gianna, and as was said, those families probably heard about it because TMZ was in such a hurry to "scoop" CNN. And if not for ratings, then why else?

• Like 9

5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I want to be the bigger person, but in the past two months, someone who didn't deserve it died of cancer and someone else lost a much cherished loved one, and I'm just not in the mood.  So I say, couldn't happen to a more deserving person.

I totally agree.  He's a mean, hateful SOB.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Pearson80 said:

I have always loved Shannen and I never understood her bad rap. Her antics as a young actress are tame compared to those that came after her in the business.  She is a great actress, she was awesome as Prue on Charmed. The show lost something special after she left. 

Prue was the only "Charmed One" that didn't annoy the hell out of me. Without her, the show got so bad. I don't watch the reboot.

Poor Shannen. I'm really hoping for a miracle there, even though I know it's unlikely. Cancer continuous to be a heinous bitch...though I'm not sure even cancer deserves Rush Limbaugh.

• Like 12
  • Laugh 1

2 hours ago, PennyPlain said:

And he's being awarded The Medal of Freedom.

Excuse me while I barf. For anyone who is wondering what it's supposed to be for

https://www.whitehouse.gov/medaloffreedom/

Established by President John F. Kennedy in 1963, this prestigious award is the Nation’s highest civilian honor. It is awarded by the President of the United States to individuals who have made exceptional contributions to the security or national interests of America, to world peace, or to cultural or other significant public or private endeavors.

Past recipients have been movers and shakers in a range of fields, including public service, medicine, journalism, entertainment, and business. The impressive list of past honorees includes Steven Spielberg, Muhammad Ali, Angela Merkel, Nancy Reagan, Mother Teresa, Billy Graham, Rosa Parks, and Martin Luther King, Jr.

Limbaugh isn't in the same galaxy as these recipients. 

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 22

1 hour ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

In other words, exactly what I thought, too damn self-centered to pay attention.    Artist mode my ass.   They make an announcement asking people to stand.   You see everyone around you standing.   

Jay-Z wiggled his way into the NFL on the back of Kaep's protest.    He keeps hoping the rich white guys will accept him as one of them.   I knew darn well he and his family were not protesting.   Not when he wants in so badly.

• Like 10

21 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

In other words, exactly what I thought, too damn self-centered to pay attention.    Artist mode my ass.   They make an announcement asking people to stand.   You see everyone around you standing.   

I heard this on the radio this morning and it made no sense to me.  They ask you to stand, give you a couple of seconds to do so, and then the singer starts singing.  So, not standing because you are caught up in the great performance doesn't hold water.  Plus, if everyone else was standing (I don't know if they were or not, I didn't start watching until after the game started), your view would be blocked.  If you were that interested in the performance, you would think you would stand for a better chance to see.

• Like 6

I don't think the people in the special boxes could be blocked by someone in the stands standing up.     It looked like a separate box to me.      Jay Z's not sorry, or missed anything, he's just sorry he was filmed sitting on his fanny through the national anthem. 

• Like 13

1 minute ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I don't think the people in the special boxes could be blocked by someone in the stands standing up.     It looked like a separate box to me.      Jay Z's not sorry, or missed anything, he's just sorry he was filmed sitting on his fanny through the national anthem. 

Silly me, I'm such a commoner I forgot about special boxes and such, and was only thinking of seats in the stands.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 16

1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

Re; Jay-Z not standing during the national anthem:  Honestly, it doesn't even have to get that deep.

Maybe he just didn't want to stand up?  So what?  I honestly think it is more problematic that people try to make NOT standing for up for the song -- especially in the venue of big monetized, heavily consumerist spectacles like sporting events -- an issue.  It isn't like they were solemnly saluting soldiers or vets.  Or doing some remembrance of a national tragedy.  It was a football game.  The gravitas of standing and holding your hand over your heart during a song gets lost and tarnished when they are just gonna cut to a funny beer commercial next.

When Colin Kaepernick started protesting by sitting during the National Anthem, it was an army vet that convinced him to kneel because sitting was disrespectful to the military, so it does matter to a lot of people. 

• Like 18
  • Useful 3

11 minutes ago, GaT said:

Or that Americans don't have the right to peaceful protest.

Oh, absolutely.  Being a football player did not in any way take away his constitutional right to peaceful protest.  The same goes for Jay-Z and Beyoncé.  Being famous doesn't mean you have fewer rights.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Maybe he just didn't want to stand up?  So what?  I honestly think it is more problematic that people try to make NOT standing for up for the song -- especially in the venue of big monetized, heavily consumerist spectacles like sporting events -- an issue. 

I actually agree with that.  I don't care whether people stand or not.  I just thought their reasoning was a bunch of hooey.  They should have just said they didn't feel like standing.  I mean just own your decisions.

• Like 11

7 hours ago, GaT said:

When Colin Kaepernick started protesting by sitting during the National Anthem, it was an army vet that convinced him to kneel because sitting was disrespectful to the military, so it does matter to a lot of people. 

Martin Luther King Jr. used to kneel during the civil rights era.  There are pictures of him with people taking the knee protesting Jim Crow laws in the south.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Like 14

I always thought kneeling was showing respect and reverence for others thus see no reason to be offended by it. 

• Like 17

Carried over from In Memoriam: Celebrity Deaths:

32 minutes ago, kathe5133 said:

What "rumor".  I've googled and found nothing current.

It's been out there for years.  Natalie Wood told people.  Suzanne Finstad, her biographer,  said she would reveal the name after the person died.  So, probably it'll be coming out after a suitable period of time has elapsed.

Scene from the TV movie The Mystery of Natalie Wood.

Edited by Josette
  • Like 7

On 2/5/2020 at 11:05 AM, DearEvette said:

Re; Jay-Z not standing during the national anthem:  Honestly, it doesn't even have to get that deep.

Maybe he just didn't want to stand up?  So what?  I honestly think it is more problematic that people try to make NOT standing for up for the song -- especially in the venue of big monetized, heavily consumerist spectacles like sporting events -- an issue.  It isn't like they were solemnly saluting soldiers or vets.  Or doing some remembrance of a national tragedy.  It was a football game.  The gravitas of standing and holding your hand over your heart during a song gets lost and tarnished when they are just gonna cut to a funny beer commercial next.

I love this post. I wish I had these words when I discussed this topic with someone. There’s enough craziness in the world to get worked up about. Jay-Z and Beyonce not standing up for the anthem isn’t that serious to me. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Like 7

I'd be curious to know how Bey and Jay behaved during the half-time show. Because my wild theory is that Beyoncé didn't want to stand for Demi Lovato's performance and Jay-Z stayed sitting too so it wouldn't look like they were having a conflict over it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I'd be curious to know how Bey and Jay behaved during the half-time show. Because my wild theory is that Beyoncé didn't want to stand for Demi Lovato's performance and Jay-Z stayed sitting too so it wouldn't look like they were having a conflict over it.

Why? Is there bad blood between them or something?

• Useful 1

Agreed! Even if one chooses to ignore the disturbing room elephant re his plea  re his mea culpa over the 2004 rape charge, Mr. Bryant was by no measure anywhere close to Gandhi or Dr. Martin Luther King.  I'll grant that he was a very skilled basketball player  who did inspire others to try to do their best but that's not in the same league as these two. Yes, it was a tragic accident that took his, his daughter's and seven other people's lives but all this carrying on seems quite excessive IMO (and why is his daughter a mere footnote and the other seven folks killed barely if at all acknowledged). To each one's own but I'm finding all these outpourings  things to  tolerate and endure rather than participate in (and actually am understanding why those in the UK who weren't totally enthralled with the Princess of Wales might have gotten a bit weary of all the public outpouring of grief). 

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 20

1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Perhaps I am just old, but, when I was a little girl, our President, only 46 years old, was shot and killed on a Friday.  His wake was the next two days and his funeral was that Monday.  If our national mourning for JFK lasted all of 3 days, I don't see why we need to spend a month on Kobe.

One of the reporters at my local paper wrote an opinion piece on Kobe's death.  He actually listed it next to the assassinations of JFK, MLK, and RFK as events that he will always remember where he was when he heard the news.  What the actual fuck?

Even if one ignores the rape allegations, Kobe was at most a really amazing basketball player who did some good things for charity and inspired people to work hard.  I just don't get it.

Edited by Jane Tuesday
  • Like 8
  • Sad 4

37 minutes ago, Jane Tuesday said:

One of the reporters at my local paper wrote an opinion piece on Kobe's death.  He actually listed it next to the assassinations of JFK, MLK, and RFK as events that he will always remember where he was when he heard the news.  What the actual fuck?

Even if one ignores the rape allegations, Kobe was at most a really amazing basketball player who did some good things for charity and inspired people to work hard.  I just don't get it.

From a national standpoint, I agree with you. OTOH, I will always remember where I was when I heard that my grandfather died, and I'm sure nobody else beyond my family would.  So, maybe Kobe held some special place in this particular reporter's heart?

Also, I've heard people tell me where they were and what they were doing when Elvis died and I would put Kobe more on the level with Elvis than JFK or my grandfather.

Edited by Katy M
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Also, I've heard people tell me where they were and what they were doing when Elvis died and I would put Kobe more on the level with Elvis than JFK or my grandfather.

I can tell you exactly where I was when I heard that Elvis had died - and also where I was when I learned about John Lennon.  I don't think it's unreasonable to have this reaction when a sports hero, celebrity, entertainer or whoever dies - especially when the death is violent and/or unexpected and the person involved is young. 

• Like 14

I think the only deaths outside my own family that affected me like that were the Challenger explosion and the fall of the Twin Towers, and I saw both of those disasters live on TV as they happened!

Oh well, in honor of Kobe Bryant I grabbed an alley cat by the throat this morning and forced it to go somewhere no matter how hard it fought me (took it to the vet for an injured/infected paw).

• Like 9
  • Laugh 9

45 minutes ago, Beany Malone said:

I can tell you exactly where I was when I heard that Elvis had died - and also where I was when I learned about John Lennon.  I don't think it's unreasonable to have this reaction when a sports hero, celebrity, entertainer or whoever dies - especially when the death is violent and/or unexpected and the person involved is young. 

Yeah. I don’t think it even needs to be a hero when they are young and it comes as a shock. I remember where I was when Princess Diana, JFK Jr and Michael Jackson died but it wasn’t because I particularly cared about any of them. With the first two the news hit when I was able to get sucked into the coverage and watched the news unfold. With MJ it because I was going through a very emotional experience and his death is just linked to that memory now.

When a someone dying comes as a complete shock I think that natural reaction is to seek out more information which helps cement the circumstances in your memory. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Dani said:

Yeah. I don’t think it even needs to be a hero when they are young and it comes as a shock. I remember where I was when Princess Diana, JFK Jr and Michael Jackson died but it wasn’t because I particularly cared about any of them. With the first two the news hit when I was able to get sucked into the coverage and watched the news unfold. With MJ it because I was going through a very emotional experience and his death is just linked to that memory now.

When a someone dying comes as a complete shock I think that natural reaction is to seek out more information which helps cement the circumstances in your memory. 

I remember exactly where I was when the news of Kobe Bryant's death broke - sitting on my couch trying to watch figure skating.  I missed the one skater whose performance I actually wanted to see because, OMG! KOBE DIED!  Feh.

I'm sorry for his family, and especially for the families of the other victims who've barely merited a mention during the Kobethon of Tears*, but I don't give a shit about Kobe Bryant himself.  (*Thanks, Doodlebug, for that very handy turn of phrase.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 13

4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I remember exactly where I was when the news of Kobe Bryant's death broke - sitting on my couch trying to watch figure skating.  I missed the one skater whose performance I actually wanted to see because, OMG! KOBE DIED!  Feh.

I remember where I was.  I came home from work and my mom told me.  I thought she was telling me my cousin Bryan had died.  Once the misunderstanding was cleared up, my level of interest deflated like a balloon.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

1 hour ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

I knew the Osmonds were big in England but, wow, I think they get more coverage over there than they do here in Canada/US.  I had no idea at all that Jimmy Osmond had suffered a stroke, and if you read the attached articles about the Osmonds there is way more stuff about them over the past few years than i ever recall coming across in news stories here.  Of course that may be just because I am not looking in the right places.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Beany Malone said:

had no idea at all that Jimmy Osmond had suffered a stroke,

I had no idea a Jimmy Osmond existed.

• Laugh 3

On 2/7/2020 at 1:14 PM, Bruinsfan said:

I think the only deaths outside my own family that affected me like that were the Challenger explosion and the fall of the Twin Towers, and I saw both of those disasters live on TV as they happened!

The last celebrity death I was genuinely affected by was Cory Montieth, and that's partly because of the Glee tribute and partly because I had a friend from college who died of a heroin overdose at 27 pretty soon after that episode aired. It therefore got linked together in my mind as I was getting ready to turn 28. I kept watching that episode for weeks after Steve died and I can't hear "I'll Stand By You" without tearing up. But yeah, after that, I haven't felt that affected, not even when Chester Bennington or Luke Perry kicked it. 

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

22 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I had no idea a Jimmy Osmond existed.

There was a time when I knew Everything Osmond.  That time has long since passed but I do admit I rooted for Donny when he was on Dancing with the Stars 😎

• Like 6

OtterMommy

Please do not post only links to news stories. Please add some context for the link for the other members. Context can even be as simple as a quote from the article itself.