Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, ABay said:

I loved Soap so much at the time, I don't ever want to watch it again in case it hasn't aged well.

I watch it all the time. It really hasn't aged that much. Its still so funny especially Jessica, Burt especially when he thinks he's invisible,  Bob-Chuck's wooden doll/dummy who is funny and also an asshole. There's so much of the typical soap stuff. Benson the only sane one. Its amazing to see Billy Crystal so young and that he played Jody (ie?) who was gay. In the first season Burt and Danny both have to come to terms with it especially when he's considering having a sex change. There are a couple things that haven't aged well like when Burt's kidnapped by aliens and replaced with an alien who looks just like him who sleeps with his wife Mary who doesn't know until later when Burt tells her he's an alien. That does count as rape but its not treated 

• Love 5

The whole Jodie gay/trans-sexual/transgender/bi/? thing bothered me when Soap first aired, and comes across as even more ignorant and uninformed as society evolves. It always bothered me that, on the show, gay was equated with cross-dressing, then with wanting to change sexes, followed closely by becoming suicidal over being dumped. Even then, I knew those were totally separate issues from being attracted to your own sex. And then, once he moves on from Dennis, virtually all of his on-screen bonding experiences and romantic relationships are with women, including the fathering of a child (leading to "Atta boy - I knew you weren't really one of them!" congratulatory reactions by the other male characters). I don't even wanna tackle the whole "hypnosis turns Jodie into an old Jewish man" nonsense at the end of the series.

All in all, the concept of "gay" Jodie was great, but in execution he was GINO - Gay In Name Only.

• Love 6

Does anyone know :  Is Soap on any streaming services right now?

Its one of those shows I have heard so much about and never watched.  It was just before my time, I was like 7 when it went off the air?  But I've always wanted to see it. 

But don't want to have to dish out for the DVDs.

• Love 1
(edited)

My God what a shame about Luke Perry. May he Rest in Peace. 52 is too young. I watched 90210 for years as a kid.  This is terrible.  May his family and friends find peace. 

Edited by ShadowHunter
  • Love 7
(edited)

I don’t watch it, but I wonder what will happen now to his character on Riverdale? He played Fred; as I remember from my Archie comics-reading days, that’s Archie’s dad. I wonder if they’ll recast or kill him/otherwise write him off?

Edited by BW Manilowe
To remove an unnecessary capital letter.
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, BW Manilowe said:

I don’t watch it, but I wonder what will happen now to his character on Riverdale? He played Fred; as I remember from my Archie comics-reading Days, that’s Archie’s dad. I wonder if they’ll recast or kill him/otherwise write him off?

It will also be interesting to see how the 90210 reboot handles it. I know Luke had passed on being part of it, but I wonder now whether his iconic character will be given any sort of memorial.

• Love 6
Just now, BW Manilowe said:

He played Fred; as I remember from my Archie comics-reading days, that’s Archie’s dad. I wonder if they’ll recast or kill him/otherwise write him off?

RIP Fred Andrews.  Nobody puts Baby in a corner and nobody recasts Dylan McKay. 

giphy.gif

• Love 15
(edited)

RIP Luke. I was barely allowed to watch 90210 during its early seasons because I was too young, but Luke Perry's Dylan McKay was just the hottest and coolest guy to my 8-9 year old self. He always seemed like an nice guy in real life too. This hits hard because Im not ready for my 90s teen idols to start dying of natural medical causes. He was far too young to go out like that. Damn.

ETA: My favorite 90210 montage.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, legaleagle53 said:

It will also be interesting to see how the 90210 reboot handles it. I know Luke had passed on being part of it, but I wonder now whether his iconic character will be given any sort of memorial.

I wonder too. But the only reason (or so they’ve said, & so I’ve heard) Luke passed on the 90210 OG reboot had to do with his commitment to Riverdale; not that he didn’t wanna do it at all (but I also thought I’d read he was still trying to work things out so he could do at least some appearances on the 90210 OG reboot too, along with Riverdale—sort of like when Masi Oka was in Hawaii Five-0 & the short-lived Heroes Reborn reboot in the same TV season).

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

I don’t watch it, but I wonder what will happen now to his character on Riverdale? He played Fred; as I remember from my Archie comics-reading days, that’s Archie’s dad. I wonder if they’ll recast or kill him/otherwise write him off?

As someone who watches I don’t think they can recast the character. It’s been on for three seasons already.

Im really sad about this. It really makes me sad. And I got nervous when we hadn’t heard anything for a few days about his condition, but I’m still shocked by this outcome. 

• Love 4
(edited)

The TMZ article/post on Luke’s death says his reps said Luke had been sedated since he was hospitalized in hopes his brain would/could recover from the stroke-related trauma. I’m sort of wondering (as the daughter of a now-deceased neurosurgeon & someone who has had way more experience in being a hospital patient than she probably wanted in her life) if that actually translates to “he’s been on life support since his hospitalization & all parties concerned (the TMZ article reads like a really large—more than I think you tend to see in a “deathbed” situation—part of his family was there when Luke died) finally agreed it was best to let him go peacefully rather than linger in whatever state he was in/going to remain in”, & so they did.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a quotation mark and fix spacing.
  • Love 2

My goodness, Luke Perry was far too young....it's just bizarre how we are losing our contemporaries recently. Fifties, sixties,......it's just heartbreaking.  RIP Luke.  His loved ones must be devastated.  

• Love 3

I was hoping that Luke would pull through and make a full recovery. So sad that he didn't.  I watched him on 90210 and thought he was hot back in the day. 🙂 Loved his relationship with Brenda. They were the IT couple on the show for me. 

Again, just heartbreaking that he died so young. Condolences to his family. RIP Luke. 

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

As someone who watches I don’t think they can recast the character. It’s been on for three seasons already.

Im really sad about this. It really makes me sad. And I got nervous when we hadn’t heard anything for a few days about his condition, but I’m still shocked by this outcome. 

Of course none of us knows what the “creatives” behind the show, & the CW network want to do about Luke’s passing in regards to his character’s status on Riverdale—& I’m pretty sure they don’t know either; especially given the death was only announced in the last hour & a few more minutes past that, so they’ve barely had time to process it. But it’s theoretically entirely possible they could recast Fred, if they feel they need to do that for the storyline, even though the show’s already been on for 3 seasons. Bewitched, for example, was on for 8 seasons & switched the actors who played Darrin between seasons 5 & 6. Other shows have also recast characters when they’ve been on for longer & shorter than 3 & 8 seasons.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, BW Manilowe said:

Of course none of us knows what the “creatives” behind the show, & the CW network want to do about Luke’s passing in regards to his character’s status on Riverdale—& I’m pretty sure they don’t know either; especially given the death was only announced in the last hour & a few more minutes past that, so they’ve barely had time to process it. But it’s theoretically entirely possible they could recast Fred, if they feel they need to do that for the storyline, even though the show’s already been on for 3 seasons. Bewitched, for example, was on for 8 seasons & switched the actors who played Darrin between seasons 5 & 6. Other shows have also recast characters when they’ve been on for longer & shorter than 3 & 8 seasons.

Yeah, I gusss. I just don’t see them doing that.  I could be wrong though. Anyway the cw network released this statement:

• Love 3

This is so surreal and sad. For all the jokes that the original cast got for mostly being much older than their 90210 characters--Gabrielle Carteris was the oldest, but he got a lot of ribbing, too--he was still MUCH too young. 

RIP. 

• Love 4

Fifty-two, Luke?  The HELL?  (And everyone who had Shannen in the Death Pool, because of her cancer, tears up their ticket in annoyance…)

From The Guardian

I met Luke in May of 1991, when "J", an aspiring screenwriter friend of mine, threw a small party for a PPV boxing match.  Luke was nice enough (although he mostly focused on the fight and we didn't chat too much), but J grew depressed as the night wore on, noting that Luke was basically our age, and he was on TV every week and where were we in our careers, relatively?  (Answer, nowhere, it turned out.  Which is why I'm spending time on a message board, rather than doing anything more exciting.)

Being a good friend (on occasion), I cheered J up, noting that BH90210 was a critically-panned, mediocre-rated ensemble piece on a last-place fledgling network.  Luke probably wasn't making more than $50,000 for the whole season, I opined.  And we both felt better.

And then of course, the show did the "summer season", the ratings blew up, and Luke (and Jason and Shannen) became major stars, pretty much overnight.  And I ended up feeling as foolish as Douglas Emerson's agent must have felt for not trying hard enough to keep Scott on the show.  Ooopsie.

Well, at least my heart was in the right place.

(And as an devout Soap fan, I'm saddened to see Katherine Helmond pass, even if I take comfort in imagining "Jessica" reuniting with Mary and Burt and Benson and Chester. [I didn't realize that Robert Mandan had also passed, eleven months back.] But I also want to take notice of her brilliant performance in Terry Gilliam's Brazil, as Jonathan Pryce's mother.  Rest easy, Katherine.)

• Love 11

Very sad news about Luke Perry. 

He was a very big star and an influence on many teen shows and movies. 90210 (obviously) and Buffy and, later Riverdale, are huge hits. Without 90210 there wouldn’t have been The OC, Gossip Girl, Laguna Beach, and arguably Real Housewives franchise. giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5c7d77d359466a7263

• Love 11

Kelly Ripa’s almost gonna have to mention this tomorrow on Live with Kelly and Ryan during the Host Chat segment at the beginning of the show. For 1 reason, I’m positive Luke probably had been a guest on the show with whomever the hosts were then; also Kelly’s husband, Mark Consuelos, plays Hiram in Riverdale (I think that’s Veronica’s dad?), their eldest son, Michael, played young Hiram in an episode where the older characters/parents were teenagers, & I think I just read Kelly has been or will be on the show too.

• Love 4
(edited)
2 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Kelly Ripa’s almost gonna have to mention this tomorrow on Live with Kelly and Ryan during the Host Chat segment at the beginning of the show. For 1 reason, I’m positive Luke probably had been a guest on the show with whomever the hosts were then; also Kelly’s husband, Mark Consuelos, plays Hiram in Riverdale (I think that’s Veronica’s dad?), their eldest son, Michael, played young Hiram in an episode where the older characters/parents were teenagers, & I think I just read Kelly has been or will be on the show too.

I don’t think Luke even was a guest on live with kelly and ryan. Also yes jelly was a guest star on Riverdale a month ago. She sort of talked about what happened this morning but only briefly and said she pretty much only knew what everyone else knew via media outlets, Luke being in the medically induced coma. And yes her husband plays Veronica’s dad, also kelly has net Luke many times, she hosted their comic con panel last August. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I don’t think Luke ever was a guest on Live with Kelly and Ryan.

Not recently, but IMDb tells us that Luke made two appearances, back in the Regis Philbin days (if I have the chronology correct).  August 16, 2005 and July 3, 2008, to be precise.  And who am I to disagree?

• Love 3
(edited)
9 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I don’t think Luke even was a guest on live with kelly and ryan. Also yes jelly was a guest star on Riverdale a month ago. She sort of talked about what happened this morning but only briefly and said she pretty much only knew what everyone else knew via media outlets, Luke being in the medically induced coma.

Luke may not have been a guest with Kelly & Ryan, but he probably had to have been on in the Regis Philbin-era (with either Kathie Lee, Kelly, or a guest host) for the 90210 OG, if not other projects, or in the Kelly & Michael Strahan/guest hosts pre-Ryan-era for Riverdale &/or other projects. If Kelly mentioned his illness, I’m pretty sure she’ll mention his passing tomorrow.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix punctuation issues.
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Halting Hex said:

Not recently, but IMDb tells us that Luke made two appearances, back in the Regis Philbin days (if I have the chronology correct).  August 16, 2005 and July 3, 2008, to be precise.  And who am I to disagree?

You’re probably right, I just meant recently he hasn’t been on and therefore kelly may not have even as close as now, considering mark her husband works on Riverdale all that. She will more than likely talk about it tomorrow. 

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Well, in Bewitched's case, the first Dick had to quit the show because of an injury sustained years prior. I think an actor death makes it harder to recast successfully.

If Luke hadn't been as well known as he is, I could have seen them recasting. But with his sudden death and how beloved Luke is to everyone, I don't see a recast as an option. Of course, I can't imagine them wanting to even think about how they're going to handle this on their show right now. But I think they'll likely write his character off. 

This does suck. Luke Perry seemed to be a great guy. I've heard nothing but wonderful things about him and it sucks more that he was so young. I was really hoping that he was going to pull through. 

• Love 12
Just now, Lady Calypso said:

Well, in Bewitched's case, the first Dick had to quit the show because of an injury sustained years prior. I think an actor death makes it harder to recast successfully.

If Luke hadn't been as well known as he is, I could have seen them recasting. But with his sudden death and how beloved Luke is to everyone, I don't see a recast as an option. Of course, I can't imagine them wanting to even think about how they're going to handle this on their show right now. But I think they'll likely write his character off. 

This does suck. Luke Perry seemed to be a great guy. I've heard nothing but wonderful things about him and it sucks more that he was so young. I was really hoping that he was going to pull through. 

This. I’m sorry but recasting in this situation just seems like it would be in really bad taste. Also I know the cast can’t dictate what they want but I don’t see them going along with that. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Strokes are terrible.  I've read that depending on the severity and timing, you may avoid severe affects if gotten to the ER soon enough, but, even that didn't save Luke.  Does anyone know if he had any illness?  Had he flown lately? 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3

I posted about Perry's turn as Reverend Cloutier on HBO's Oz but I'll go ahead and leave this here as a shout to his acting abilities outside teen shows.

• Love 12
(edited)
10 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

This. I’m sorry but recasting in this situation just seems like it would be in really bad taste. Also I know the cast can’t dictate what they want but I don’t see them going along with that. 

I agree with you. I mean, to use another recent, shocking, & unexpected death as an example, I seriously doubt CBS, Sony Pictures Television (or whomever the current production company is), & The Young and the Restless are going to be recasting the character of Neil Winters after Kristoff St. John’s recent death. I don’t think the cast or the viewers, especially those with more than a casual interest in the show, would allow it. I was just saying recasting is an option that is available to them, if they choose to use it.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment.
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Yes. I recall when a main actor in a series suddenly died that the character also soon suddenly died, which gave both the cast and audience a chance to grieve the real death of the actor. I do expect them to then bring on another actor for Riverdale--maybe even another type of father figure--but not too close to the original character because, as you say, that would be "tasteless," and disrespectful to LP's legacy, IMO.

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

Very sad news about Luke Perry. 

He was a very big star and an influence on many teen shows and movies. 90210 (obviously) and Buffy and, later Riverdale, are huge hits. Without 90210 there wouldn’t have been The OC, Gossip Girl, Laguna Beach, and arguably Real Housewives franchise. giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5c7d77d359466a7263

Okay, I'm going to cry now. This is so sad.