Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

On 1/5/2019 at 4:19 PM, Silver Raven said:

Herb Kelleher, the founder of Southwest Airlines has died, and several airlines have tweeted their condolences in lovely words.

They compete against one another every day, but in the end, most airline folks consider one another a big family.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I also remember him as Lane Pryce's abusive dad on Mad Men. He only appeared in one episode but it was memorable(but brutal).

He will forever be the voice of Merlin in Justice League's "A Knight of Shadows."

• Love 4

Kader Khan pased away.

Though it happened two weeks ago, I just learned of it the other day. Those familiar with Classic Bollywood films know what a talent he was. A wonderful character actor who could play the most empathetic friend to a villain you could hate and want to suffer. Not to mention bumbling villains that made me laugh. He was also a great writer and director. 😢😓

I never knew how ill he was. RIP, Khan Saab. You’ve earned it.

• Love 4

Jo Andres, Filmmaker and Wife to Steve Buscemi, Dies at 64

This part made me sad....

Buscemi was photographed participating in her funeral, which included a wicker casket, Wednesday morning in Brooklyn, New York. Buscemi’s “Big Lebowski” co-star, John Turturro, and his wife, “Boardwalk Empire” star Aida Turturro, were seen paying visits to the home. Firefighters from Buscemi’s ladder company also paid their respects.

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

They might want to clarify that Aida isn’t John’s wife but his cousin. 

There were other errors too. I'm going to look for another source to link to I think.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1

This happened on January 1, 2018, but the young actor who played Brett Butler's son in "Grace Under Fire" died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. He was 33. He quit acting after Butler exposed herself to the child actor (he was 12) by lifting her skirt and flashing her breasts at him. He later performed in a band and then opened a vegan restaurant. I wonder if this unwanted sexual exposure negatively affected his life. As far as I know, she never suffered any consequences from her actions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Paul_Steuer

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 5
46 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

This happened on January 1, 2018, but the young actor who played Brett Butler's son in "Grace Under Fire" died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. He was 33. He quit acting after Butler exposed herself to the child actor (he was 12) by lifting her skirt and flashing her breasts at him. He later performed in a band and then opened a vegan restaurant. I wonder if this unwanted sexual exposure negatively affected his life. As far as I know, she never suffered any consequences from her actions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Paul_Steuer

I remember looking him up a few years ago and saw that he was co-owner of a resturant and hoped his life had turned out ok. From the first post of the two I added below his Mom said he had Lyme Disease which caused a lot of pain and depression. 🙁

• Love 5

RIP comics artist and writer Batton Lash.  He died of a brain tumor on January 12th.

https://www.cbr.com/batton-lash-supernatural-law-obituary/

http://www.dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2019/01/12/batton-lash-rip/

I started reading Wolff & Byrd, Counselors of the Macabre a/k/a Supernatural Law when I was in law school back in the 1990s.   Met him once at AwesomeCon in DC. He and his wife were very nice. I've got a full set of the graphic novel compilations.  I only recently got the last one via Lash's kickstarter last year.  I had no idea he was ill.

• Love 1

It would appear that 2019 wants to give 2016 a run for its money, but at least it's taking the major celebs at what I would consider to be a respectable old age.  Rest in peace, Carol.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 10

Sadly Death said "Well hello, Carol!" but what a run!   So I'll just my wave my little hand and whisper so long, dearie to the legend, Carol Channing.  I'm sure she left us dressed in her Sunday clothes.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 9

This is random as hell, but this is what I'll always think of when I think of Carol Channing. God, the early days of YouTube were great. (This was posted in 2006, before video technology on the Internet was expected to be of the utmost quality, just for context.)

Edited by UYI
  • Love 5

When I was young, probably 8 or so, the second "real" musical that I saw live was a touring production of Hello, Dolly starring Carol Channing.  She had broken her arm and performed in a sling, but you could barely even notice that--she was amazing!

RIP Ms Channing.

• Love 8

Miss Channing had an interesting bio Just Lucky I Guess (2003) in which she disclosed that her late father had had African-American ancestry yet virtually nothing about her three marriages that had not gone well. Amazingly enough, from that bio, her   high school sweetheart Harry Kulijian who'd been mentioned in it, looked her up and they soon   wed and evidently be happily married until his death in 2011. Yep, for her the fourth time was the charm!  RIP, Miss Channing

• Love 8

My grandmother went to school with Carol Channing.  She and my mom went to go see Hello Dolly on tour with her at my local theater years ago (I was maybe 10).  They tried to go see her backstage but it didn't happen.

She lived a damn good life.  And not only did she have great pipes, she had a great sense of humor.  She actually guest-voiced as herself on Family Guy for this little bit:

"Up yours, young people!  You and your rock and roll 8-track tapes!"  RIP

• Love 12

I saw on that site that rhymes with Dew Loob a clip of Rowan and Martin's Laugh In  from 1970 of the recently deceased Miss Channing with their regular cast member  Teresa Graves (who would die in 2002) performing the song' Soul Sister'- with Miss Channing in a blonde Afro wig!  I know Miss Channing was a guest performer and not a regular and  a star in her own right  so I have to wonder what Miss Channing was thinking re agreeing to perform that song that seemed to make fun of African-Americans while pretending to celebrate them- especially considering that it wouldn't be until 2003 that she'd reveal her own African-American ancestry. 

Edited by Blergh
1 hour ago, opus said:

From the obit:

According to a 2010 New York Times profile, the loud Italian caricature of her role in “The Mothers-in-Law” certainly “affected the rest of her career. The show wasn’t on long enough to make her rich but was on long enough to typecast her.”

Aw, that's a bummer.  I recall enjoying that show as a kid, but it probably wouldn't hold up well at all.  RIP, Ms. Ballard.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Inquisitionist said:

From the obit:

Aw, that's a bummer.  I recall enjoying that show as a kid, but it probably wouldn't hold up well at all.  RIP, Ms. Ballard.

I saw her in lots of things during the 70's and always wished she was around more. However; Lucie Arnaz said the family considered her one of their faves and Miss Ballard was one of the last folks from Miss Day's performing career who stayed in close touch with Doris Day! Thanks for the laughs, Miss Ballard and RIP! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 4