Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, Maharincess said:

He also had the greatest laugh. 

Yes!  That's the first thing I thought of upon reading the news of his death.

I will be watching Smokey & The Bandit (a movie I know verbatim) tonight, that's for sure.  And The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (know that one by heart, too).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 11

Aw fuck. I knew he had been shaky for a while.

I know everyone will remember him as Bandit, but I will always remember Charlie from All Dogs Go to Heaven.

My one regret is he never got to cameo on SNL's Celebrity Jeopardy like he always wanted. At least he's with Dom now..

• Love 9

I used to watch this syndicated sitcom in the late 80s called Out of this World about a teenage girl who discovers her father was an alien who came to Earth and fell in love with her mother(Donna Pescow) and then left after she was born. Because she was half-alien she had powers like she could freeze time. Every episode she would talk to him on his home planet via a glowing cube by her bed. You would only hear his voice. I did not know until a year ago Burt Reynolds was the dad's voice!

113faeea8b7231c406811f1063bf48e3.jpg

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 10
10 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I know everyone will remember him as Bandit, but I will always remember Charlie from All Dogs Go to Heaven.

My one regret is he never got to cameo on SNL's Celebrity Jeopardy like he always wanted. At least he's with Dom now..

I love that film. RIP Burt.

• Love 9
40 minutes ago, Maharincess said:

I loved Burt Reynolds. In my opinion, in the '70s and '80s, he was IT.  Best looking man ever in my book.  Usually celebrity deaths don't really get to me because it's not like I know them but this one got to me. I have so many great memories tied up with him and his movies. 

RIP Bandit. 

Well said, Maharincess....

Sighs.  Loved him since Dan August and my fave movies with him are Best Little Whorehouse in Texas and Boogie Nights.  He did have an infectious laugh and his book was very entertaining.

Rest well, sir....now you can join Charles Durning, Charles Nelson Reilly, Ossie Davis and Dom DeLuise while walking hand in hand with Dinah Shore.

Edited by Vixenstud
  • Love 13
10 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I always think of him in the Golden Girls season 2 episode Ladies of The Evening first and foremost. 

“My god you’re Mr Burt Reynolds!”

”I hope so otherwise I’ve got the wrong underwear on.”

Burt (to Sophia):  "Which one is the slut?"

Dorothy, Rose and Blanche in unison:  "I am".

• Love 16
On 9/4/2018 at 12:58 AM, BW Manilowe said:

From ET Online: Susan Brown, General Hospital Actress, Dead At 86

She played a female psychiatrist, Dr. Gail Adamson (the name of her character when she was introduced) at the fictional hospital in the show, who was also the former foster mother/mother figure of Dr. Monica Quartermaine & (of course) the best friend of Monica’s enemy at the time, Dr. Lesley Webber.

Gail would go on to marry Lee Baldwin, the widower town lawyer, eventual mayor & maybe some things I’ve forgotten, & become the stepmother of Lee’s son, Scotty. Later on, Lee & Gail & Lesley & her then-husband, Dr. Rick Webber (the person who caused the enmity that originally existed between Lesley & Monica Quartermaine), would become in-laws for awhile after Scotty Baldwin married Lesley & Rick’s daughter, Laura Webber (who eventually would abandon & divorce Scotty after falling in love with—& eventually marrying—the then town bad boy, Luke Spencer; he was the brother of then GH nurse Barbara Jean [Bobbie] Spencer).

I loved Susan as Gail Baldwin on GH. She was lovely, classy, and had a speak voice and accents. Rest in peace, Susan.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Aw fuck. I knew he had been shaky for a while.

Word.  RIP Mr. Reynolds.

Same here. It was my first introduction to him, apart from when he was on the Golden Girls.

Will be watching Improbable tonight. Really enjoyed him in that XF ep.

• Love 5

My favorite Burt Reynolds movie will always be The Longest Yard. My mom was so in love with him, she got a kiss on the cheek from him back in the 70's and she had him sign her drivers license because she didn't have any other paper.  I'll have to ask her if she still has it. RIP sir.

• Love 12
1 minute ago, festivus said:

My mom was so in love with him, she got a kiss on the cheek from him back in the 70's and she had him sign her drivers license because she didn't have any other paper. 

Awwww, that's really cool :D. Imagine explaining to people how you got his autograph on your driver's license. Hehe. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, VCRTracking said:

I used to watch this syndicated sitcom in the late 80s called Out of this World about a teenage girl who discovers her father was an alien who came to Earth and fell in love with her mother(Donna Pescow) and then left after she was born. Because she was half-alien she had powers like she could freeze time. Every episode she would talk to him on his home planet via a glowing cube by her bed. You would only hear his voice. I did not know until a year ago Burt Reynolds was the dad's voice!

WHOA I had no idea that him.   (thought I was the only person who watched that show).

RIP Burt Reynolds.    Never a big fan.   But .... he was an icon.   Definite a symbol of the 70s.   Then had a comeback for a bit.

• Love 10

He had the best laugh.  That’s what I’ll remember him for, that and the absolute fun he seemed to have in his roles (minus ‘Deliverance’).

I know he regretted the Playgirl centerfold, but when I grew up, I sure didn’t!

RIP Turd Ferguson.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 10

Wow, does Christopher Lawford look like his father!  RIP.

Sorry to hear about Burt Reynolds.  Recently I was thinking about Evening Shade and wishing the reruns would be shown on one of the cable (not Netflix, not Hulu etc) channels.  RIP Mr. Reynolds.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

He was? I had no idea! Rest in Peace Burt! You were the best and will be missed! 

• Love 5

Dolly Parton on the death of Burt Reynolds, via Twitter:

And Sally Field said in a statement: "There are times in your life that are so indelible, they never fade away. They stay alive, even forty years later. My years with Burt never leave my mind. He will be in my history and my heart, for as long as I live. Rest, Buddy."

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 24

Re : Burt Reynolds- I didn't realize, until they said so on the news, that Boogie Nights came out more than 20 years ago (1997) ! That doesn't seem possible that it was so long ago. I started watching it on Netflix a couple of weekends ago, just because it had been some time since I had watched it, but I didn't get thru the whole thing before life interrupted. I'll have to finish it now.

A story he was fond of telling, I heard it several times back when he did a lot of talk shows ( probably Carson more than any)- he & Clint Eastwood had started out as young actors at the same time and once they were both rejected at the same audition ( though I doubt for the same part, but anyway ). According to Burt, they told him that he couldn't act & told Clint his adam's apple was too big. Burt said he told Clint afterwards, "You know, I can learn to act, but you're going to have a hell of a time getting rid of that adam's apple !"  Whether or not the story is true, it was funny when I first heard it.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, AuntieL said:

I loved Burt in Evening Shade. An underrated tv show. RIP

It’s on Antenna TV every so often; at least it has been. Unfortunately it’s not on there now unless they bring it back to commemorate his passing.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

I felt very old today.  I was checking Facebook while at work and mentioned to a student worker who was at the next workstation that Burt Reynolds had died.  He said 'who is that?'  

Oh, wow. I sympathize, though-when I saw a news piece about his death at the Spoiler TV site, I was wondering what kind of comments it'd get, 'cause there's a lot of people I chat with there who are younger than me (I'm 33). I was like, "Please tell me these people will know who he is..." :p. 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, amaranta said:

I liked him in Starting Over with Jill Clayburgh and Candice Bergen; I think that was his best movie.  Next for me might be The Longest Yard or The End.

I like Starting Over too - it seems kind of forgotten to me unfortunately.   It's some of the best work from Reynolds and Bergen ever - at the time I remember people being surprised by that.   I also think he's the best thing by far about Boogie Nights, even with its other good performances.  Initially he seems like a bit of  a stunt cast, but wow he is perfect.  I think my own sentimental favorite is Hooper.  

The weird thing is that I was certain for some reason that he had already died.  No idea why.

5 hours ago, Maharincess said:

I loved Burt Reynolds. In my opinion, in the '70s and '80s, he was IT

Oh yeah.  I can't even think of an equivalent person today, who was just a FUN movie star in any context you saw him.  

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Every time he was on Johnny Carson's Tonight Show it was fun:

And it rubbed off on his then-girlfriend, Sally Field.  When she visited Johnny one time, she started out by saying that Johnny didn't have to worry that just because she was dating Burt, that she was like him or that she'd give him a hard time the way he always did.  She simply wasn't THAT person, she said.  Then she said "BUT..." and pulled a great big can of whipping cream out of her purse and let Johnny have it!

7 hours ago, Maharincess said:

I loved Burt Reynolds. In my opinion, in the '70s and '80s, he was IT.  Best looking man ever in my book.  Usually celebrity deaths don't really get to me because it's not like I know them but this one got to me. I have so many great memories tied up with him and his movies. 

RIP Bandit. 

Yeah, he was definitely pretty much every gay man's first crush in the 60s and 70s, too.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, BooksRule said:

I felt very old today.  I was checking Facebook while at work and mentioned to a student worker who was at the next workstation that Burt Reynolds had died.  He said 'who is that?'  

I would have responded with this....

Slap Yourself Silly.gif

On the other hand, the other day my Lyft driver didn't know about Duran Duran; I just sank back into my chair and changed the subject with my old ass.

Regarding Sally Field....love her I do, but am I the only one that gave a side eye after reading her tweet?  If you read Burt's later articles, nothing would have pleased him more than to have spoken to Sally before passing away.  I hope I am wrong and maybe they did get to at least phone reconnect and if so, my bad.

Edited by Vixenstud
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Vixenstud said:

Slap Yourself Silly.gif

On the other hand, the other day my Lyft driver didn't know about Duran Duran; I just sank back into my chair and changed the subject with my old ass.

Regarding Sally Field....love her I do, but am I the only one that gave a side eye after reading her tweet?  If you read Burt's later articles, nothing would have pleased him more than to have spoken to Sally before passing away.  I hope I am wrong and maybe they did get to at least phone reconnect and if so, my bad.

I have no proof one way or another, but it wouldn't surprise me if they spoke some time after his memoir before he died. 

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I start welling up at "You can come home now" and I don't stop.  Period.

Nope....once I saw the dog limping, I immediately turned it off.  I've never seen this movie but if what I think happens I'm at work and it would not do me good to ugly cry at my desk.

• Love 3

Slap Yourself Silly.gif

15 minutes ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

I have no proof one way or another, but it wouldn't surprise me if they spoke some time after his memoir before he died. 

I wish I could find a video but when Hank Azaria was on Conan O'Brien one time  he talked about working on Mystery, Alaska(1999) with Burt. He was doing a scene with him and Burt yelled at the director. Afterwards there was a long, awkward silence with Hank and Burt by themselves and Burt was just looking at the ground and Hank suddenly heard him say quietly "I never told Sally I loved her." Hank was like "Huh?" and it took him a minute to realize "Are you talking about Sally Field?" Burt sighed "Should've told her." and Conan's reaction was the same as mine watching "Whoa!" That is an incredibly personal and heavy thing to just hear from someone like that!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 8

Regarding Sally Field....love her I do, but am I the only one that gave a side eye after reading her tweet? 

I thought it was a nice, respectful tweet.  I wonder what else she would have to say after his passing.  If she was the love of his life, perhaps he should have kept the relationship going.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, SrOfficial said:

I thought it was a nice, respectful tweet.  I wonder what else she would have to say after his passing.  If she was the love of his life, perhaps he should have kept the relationship going.

It was.   I was actually surprised that she made remarks after his passing, given they (as far as I know) hadn't spoken in years.  But like Picture it Sicily said, maybe they did have words at long last. 

Burt has spoken of his regret about not marrying her when he had the chance/keeping the relationship going, etc.

• Love 7

Sally's autobiography is coming out on Sept. 18.  Hopefully she wasn't too hard on him in it.

My favorite movie of all time is Smokey and the Bandit.  If I'm flipping channels and it's on then I have to watch it, no matter how far along it is.  The chemistry between Sally and Burt comes right off the screen.  Well, and plus I adore Jerry Reed.

We used to vacation down where Burt lived and it was always my dream to run into him at the 7-11 or something.  The closest we got was seeing his boots in a museum.

Edited by Angeltoes
  • Love 8

I was first introduced to Mr Reynolds as Lt John Hawk in the ABC series of the same name in 1966. It only ran for 17 episodes but it, and he, made quite an impression on me. As others have said, his appearances on The Tonight Show have stayed with me and kept me in stitches ever since.

Rest Peacefully Burt, we'll miss you.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

Well, DAMN.  Just a day after losing Burt Reynolds, another part of my youth dies.

If I'm not mistaken, Barbara Eden is now the only surviving cast member of I Dream of Jeannie.  She must be devastated by this, as I remember that she and Bill were as close as she and Larry Hagman were.

And I'd forgotten about The Bob Newhart Show.  This has probably hit Bob Newhart as hard as it's surely hit Barbara.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 16

Noooo, not Major Healy! I watched a lot of I Dream of Jeannie when I was a kid. Then when I was a teenager I started watching reruns of The Bob Newhart Show and he was hilarious as the Hartley's neighbor Howard Borden. Funny I just now realized he played a pilot in that too after playing an Air Force officer on Jeannie. Always in a uniform.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Well, DAMN.  Just a day after losing Burt Reynolds, another part of my youth dies.

If I'm not mistaken, Barbara Eden is now the only surviving cast member of I Dream of Jeannie.  She must be devastated by this, as I remember that she and Bill were as close as she and Larry Hagman were.

And I'd forgotten about The Bob Newhart Show.  This has probably hit Bob Newhart as hard as it's surely hit Barbara.

What a bummer.  With him and Burt, I'm feeling about 180 years old right now and peeking around for The Reaper.

Nothing is as important in life as people who make/made you laugh.

• Love 20