Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

48 minutes ago, MaryMitch said:

Neil Simon, writer of "The Odd Couple", "The Goodbye Girl", "The Sunshine Boys", and numerous other plays, dead at 91

Well, this has been a sad weekend.  Ninety-one is a pretty good run, but … damn.

• Love 14
38 minutes ago, amaranta said:

Ninety-one is a pretty good run, but … damn.

Damn is right.  Yes, he was 91 but still seems so unexpected for some reason.  R.I.P. Mr. Simon.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 10

There are names that you just know..they are a part of the American Psyche....Aretha...John McCain..Neil Simon...it's hard to fathom we are living in a world without their humor..without their joy..without their passion....without their gifts....wow...wow..wow...

• Love 17
47 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

My favorite Neil Simon movies is Barefoot in the Park.

Before I even clicked on the video I thought "Damn, Robert Redford is 82!". Long life to him.  I'm 67.  But, we can all look forward to a helluva party in the afterlife.

Edited by spiderpig
mods!
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I found out his mom's still alive, at 106 years old. That is wild. To outlive your son like that...damn. 

It happens but its really hard, My great-grandfather out lived his wife, their two daughters, and great-grandson (who was an adult when he died). It was hard for him.  

• Love 3
On 8/26/2018 at 9:36 AM, merylinkid said:

I am still processing this death.    Agree or disagree with  his positions, most can say he tried to do his duty to his country as best as he could.   You might not agree with everything he did, but he would have respected that disagreement.   But I am finding myself focusing on the little things right now.

1.   I did not know the Forrestal fire was HIS plane.   Not the start of it, that was a misfired rocket that hit his plane causing it to leak jet fuel.   Anyone who served in the Navy knows about THAT tragedy.

2.  Interesting he is being buried in Annapolis (probably at the Naval Academy) rather than Arlington Cemetary.   He is certainly more than eligible to do so.

3.   Until someone pointed out that Ted Kennedy died of the some disease I would have wondered if his condition was related to his POW years.   Now I wonder what the odds of 2 Senators getting the same disease are.    Yes, obligatory FUCK CANCER for anyone not just Senators.

This article, from the website for KABC-TV, Channel 7 in Los Angeles, about Senator McCain’s funeral & burial plans, is somewhat more detailed than what’s already been posted. It actually includes specific dates & times for events.

It also says that he’s being buried at the US Naval Academy Cemetery in Annapolis, Maryland (as you guessed, & which was also mentioned upthread). He’s being buried as he requested, on a peninsula overlooking the Severn River, next to his best friend from his Naval Academy days, Admiral Chuck Larson.

Ironically, most of the events connected to Senator McCain’s funeral are on the same days as events connected to Aretha Franklin’s. Senator McCain’s private memorial service at the Washington National Cathedral is the only event from either funeral that’s being held on a day that doesn’t include an event from the other.

The last event connected to Aretha’s funeral, her actual funeral, is being held at Greater Grace Temple in Detroit on August 31st. The last event (or almost) connected to Senator McCain’s funeral is his private memorial service at the Washington National Cathedral, in Washington, DC, on September 1st. He will then be interred at the US Naval Academy Cemetery (I think it was said with a private service for the family) on September 2nd. That will be the last event connected to Senator McCain’s funeral.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add comments and information.
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Damn is right.  Yes, he was 91 but still seems so unexpected for some reason.  R.I.P. Mr. Simon.

At the time of his death, as his obituary says, he was married to actress Elaine Joyce. People here from the same era as me, &/or people who watch a lotta game show repeats, especially on Game Show Network (GSN)—as opposed to any of the other cable networks programmed with all-classic game shows—would know Ms. Joyce from her many appearances as the kinda ditzy blonde usually in the left hand seat of the bottom tier of celebrities on the mid-1970’s version of Match Game, hosted by original host Gene Rayburn & including regular panelists Brett Somers, actress/ex-wife of Jack Klugman; actor Charles Nelson Reilly; & actor & original Family Feud host Richard Dawson.

• Love 4

If you’re in Detroit, or close enough to get their local TV stations, & you’re interested in watching it, the station called “Local 4” (I think the call letters are WDIV) will air live coverage of Aretha Franklin’s funeral.  

If you’re outside of the Detroit TV stations’ viewing area & wanna watch Aretha’s funeral, “Local 4” (WDIV?) will also stream the funeral online, at the ClickOnDetroit.com website.

The funeral is scheduled for August 31st, which I think is a Friday. Live coverage, on TV & online, is scheduled to begin at 9AM, US Eastern Daylight Time (UTC/GMT -4... I think). I added the US to the time in case any posters based outside the US might like to try to watch online too.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

I loved that moment, just classy yet badass. 

I never knew he hosted SNL!  I hope someone re-runs it, I'd love to see it.

I'm watching tributes to him on my local news channels and tearing up a bit.  I may not have voted for the man but still have much admiration and respect for him.  And yes, cancer must be fucked.  Too many great people (and pets) taken away.

On a shallow note, these tributes are showing old pics of him in uniform and wow he was a handsome man.

I don’t think they have full episodes of SNL on YouTube; maybe on NBC.com. But they do have a number of individual sketches/segments involving him—I think including the 1 with Amy Poehler mentioned upthread, plus a bunch with Tina Fey as Sarah Palin & maybe with the real Sarah Palin (I forget if they were on SNL together, or not).

13 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

At the time of his death, as his obituary says, he was married to actress Elaine Joyce. People here from the same era as me, &/or people who watch a lotta game show repeats, especially on Game Show Network (GSN)—as opposed to any of the other cable networks programmed with all-classic game shows—would know Ms. Joyce from her many appearances as the kinda ditzy blonde usually in the left hand seat of the bottom tier of celebrities on the mid-1970’s version of Match Game, hosted by original host Gene Rayburn & including regular panelists Brett Somers, actress/ex-wife of Jack Klugman; actor Charles Nelson Reilly; & actor & original Family Feud host Richard Dawson.

Elaine Joyce was previously married to Bobby Van, Broadway performer and game show host, most notably of Make Me Laugh.  They did a lot of joint appearances on The Match Game.  He died of the same sort of brain tumor John McCain had.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Elaine Joyce was previously married to Bobby Van, Broadway performer and game show host, most notably of Make Me Laugh.  They did a lot of joint appearances on The Match Game.  He died of the same sort of brain tumor John McCain had.

And between Bobby Van & Neil Simon, Elaine Joyce was married (1985-1992) to a producer, John Levoff, with whom she shares a son, Michael, born in 1986 (she & Bobby Van have a daughter, Taylor, born in 1977).

Also according to her Wikipedia page (linked above), while Neil Simon’s cause (primary cause?) of death was complications with pneumonia, according to his publicist, he was also on life support after being hospitalized for renal failure & he had Alzheimer’s disease. Neil Simon’s Wikipedia page also has that information & says he received a kidney transplant in 2004 from friend & longtime publicist Bill Evans (who announced his death over the weekend).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add comments and italics.
  • Love 1
On 8/26/2018 at 12:32 AM, roamyn said:

Sad news for the McCain family, but “happy” that he’s now free of suffering.

To me, Senator McCain represents something higher than serving your country’s:  serving it with Honor, a sense of humor, respect for others, a willingness to overcome partisanship.  Did he make mistakes?  Absolutely.  The Keating scandal was probably his biggest lack of good judgment.  Did he love and respect his Country?  Without a doubt.  

RIP, Sir.  You deserve it.

I think the beautiful thing was that he was the first person to saw that he's made many mistakes along the way of his political career but I think beyond his military service, he was respected by people on both sides of aisle because whether hindsight proved him wrong or not, he always seemed to act in what he felt was in the best interest of his country. He didn't seem self-serving in his politics and he proved that he was willing to put country over party. Regardless of where one stands on politics, it can likely be agreed that today's political climate is pretty tough to watch and his passing during a time like this makes it that much more difficult, though I'm glad he's no longer suffering.

• Love 12

Fair winds and following seas, Captain /Senator McCain. I'm sure your father and grandfather greeted you with the same one our brothers from Vietnam share with each other.... Welcome Home.

Semper Fi.

*Hand Salute *

Edited by Snowprince
  • Love 13
52 minutes ago, RHJunkie said:

I think the beautiful thing was that he was the first person to saw that he's made many mistakes along the way of his political career but I think beyond his military service, he was respected by people on both sides of aisle because whether hindsight proved him wrong or not, he always seemed to act in what he felt was in the best interest of his country. He didn't seem self-serving in his politics and he proved that he was willing to put country over party. Regardless of where one stands on politics, it can likely be agreed that today's political climate is pretty tough to watch and his passing during a time like this makes it that much more difficult, though I'm glad he's no longer suffering.

McCain was also quick to admit when he'd changed his mind or felt he'd made a mistake.  For example, he once supported the flying of the Confederate flag over the state capital in South Carolina.  Several years later, he came forward, admitted he had changed his mind and now regretted not having taken into account the feelings of others concerning the flag.  Very few people, let alone politicians, are able to reverse course so gracefully.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, ari333 said:

The white house could have left the flag at half for a while longer for Senator McCain,  imo.

The tradition is if a member of Congress - representative or senator - dies in office, the flag is at half mast until the interment, which is on Saturday I believe.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, MaryMitch said:

The tradition is if a member of Congress - representative or senator - dies in office, the flag is at half mast until the interment, which is on Saturday I believe.

The rule is apparently that anytime a sitting member of Congress dies, the flag is automatically lowered to half staff for 48 hours.  It was a little less than that in this case.  In recent tradition, the current President then issues an executive order to keep the flag at half staff until after the burial.  The current President has not issued the order, so the flag is back at full staff at the White House.  It's half staff virtually everywhere else.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

The rule is apparently that anytime a sitting member of Congress dies, the flag is automatically lowered to half staff for 48 hours.  It was a little less than that in this case.

Actually, for a Member of Congress, other than the Speaker of the House, the flag should be lowered on the day of his/her death and the following day, but the President can issue an order to modify this.  Four sitting senators passed away during the term of President Obama - Ted Kennedy, Robert Byrd, Daniel Inouye, and Frank Lautenberg.  Obama issued proclamations ordering the flag flown at half staff until their funerals for all but Lautenberg (at least there isn't a copy in the Obama WH archives), however flags at the White House remained at half staff for an extended period of time following his death as well.  Obama also ordered flags to half staff following the death of SC Justice Antonin Scalia until his funeral.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 10

Please let me offer my condolences to the family and friends of  Senator McCain.  I read one day that he had ceased treatment for his cancer and the next day he was dead. I was expecting it, but, I wasn't expecting it.  I just wasn't ready for it. 

Ref. Vinnie Paul. I know that this death was posted upthread, but, I just saw the casket and was so touched that I wanted to share. It's what he wanted, as his brother was buried in one just like it, courtesy Gene Simmons.  It's gotten me to thinking......I wonder if I could get a Zeppelin version.  I'm not kidding. 

http://www.tmz.com/2018/08/27/pantera-drummer-vinnie-paul-cause-of-death-revealed/

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Snowprince said:

Fair winds and following seas, Captain /Senator McCain. I'm sure your father and grandfather greeted you with the same one our brothers from Vietnam share with each other.... Welcome Home. Semper Fi..... *Hand Salute *

Non sibi sed Patriae.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, ari333 said:

The white house could have left the flag at half for a while longer for Senator McCain,  imo.

Apparently, they took a lotta heat, from both sides of the aisle & veterans’ groups, for returning the flag to its normal position so soon. The Pentagon apparently also returned its flag to its normal position when the White House did.

From NBC News: Presidential Proclamation Signed to Keep White House Flag at Half-Staff Through the Day of Senator McCain’s Interment

This article says that they’re keeping the flag at half-staff until the day of interment and that they’re keeping it at half-staff through the day of interment, which mean 2 entirely different things. (Shrugs & Sighs)

Vice President Pence has been asked to offer an address at a Friday US Capitol ceremony honoring Senator McCain. At the request of the McCain family, military transportation of the late senator’s remains from Arizona to Washington, military pallbearers & a horse & caisson transport during the service at the US Naval Academy have been authorized. 

The decision to raise the flag again so quickly prompted Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky) & Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-New York) to write a letter in which they said they wanted flags at all government buildings to be at half-staff until McCain’s funeral & asked for the Department of Defense’s help in doing so, according to Senator Schumer’s spokesman. The Department of Defense says it’s received the letter.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

How did the lowering of the flag work for Barbara Bush?  

2 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

that was one beautiful letter.   

Thank you for your service Sir.

I realize now that, since I linked to a print version of the letter, I should’ve actually said it was read at a press conference, held at the Arizona State Capitol in Phoenix, by Rick Davis, the Senator’s former presidential campaign manager, who is serving as the family’s spokesman. 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I'm a little creeped out by the picture of her body in the open casket, but damn they sure dressed her nice.  In a red dress and high heels, no less!

With her legs crossed saucily at the ankles, a diva forever!

• Love 14

A Special Report, in this case from ABC (&/or maybe their digital-only online news site/app), was posted online (I saw it on Facebook), about the arrival of the motorcade carrying Senator McCain’s casket at the Arizona State Capitol Building. The poster also attached coverage of the Memorial/Remembrance Service in Senator McCain’s honor at that building.

As the family was taking their seats, I noticed that Mrs. McCain, naturally, was in the front row next to the speaker’s podium; seated next to her, going farther away from the podium, were her 2 sons, Jack & Jimmy—who are/were in “competing” branches of the military, the Navy & the Marines. Also sitting in the front row on the side which seemed to be reserved for family (or at least immediate surviving family), was their daughter Meghan, co-host of The View. She was quite emotional; I thought she might pass out at some point.

What I found interesting about the family’s seating arrangements, though, was that the McCain’s daughter Bridget (might be Bridgette; I’ve seen it both ways), whom they adopted from Bangladesh in 1991, was in the second row of seats and not really visible to the cameras. I don’t know if she wanted it that way on purpose or if it just happened, but the first thing I thought when I saw the seating arrangements was that I hope that nobody thought there were negative reasons attached to her sitting behind her mother, brothers who have served/are serving in the military, & her sister—all of whom are white, while she has the dark skin of her native Bangladesh.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To reword a little bit.
17 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

A Special Report, in this case from ABC (&/or maybe their digital-only online news site/app), was posted online (I saw it on Facebook), about the arrival of the motorcade carrying Senator McCain’s casket at the Arizona State Capitol Building. The poster also attached coverage of the Memorial/Remembrance Service in Senator McCain’s honor at that building.

As the family was taking their seats, I noticed that Mrs. McCain, naturally, was in the front row next to the speaker’s podium; seated next to her, going farther away from the podium, were her 2 sons, Jack & Jimmy—who are/were in “competing” branches of the military, the Navy & the Marines. Also sitting in the front row on the side which seemed to be reserved for family (or at least immediate surviving family), was their daughter Meghan, co-host of The View. She was quite emotional; I thought she might pass out at some point.

What I found interesting about the family’s seating arrangements, though, was that the McCain’s daughter Bridget (might be Bridgette; I’ve seen it both ways), whom they adopted from Bangladesh in 1991, was in the second row of seats and not really visible to the cameras. I don’t know if she wanted it that way on purpose or if it just happened, but the first thing I thought when I saw the seating arrangements was that I hope that nobody thought there were negative reasons attached to her sitting behind her mother, brothers who have served/are serving in the military, & her sister—all of whom are white, while she has the dark skin of her native Bangladesh.

From what I have read/heard, Bridget does not like to be in the limelight.  I don't think one should read any more into that.

What I thought was odd was that they had children of John alone in the front row, which left Meghan without her husband at her side.  This is a moment when you want your spouse there.  So Meghan was distraught with no one to lean on.  Her husband was there but at back of the seating.  Bad choice.  Not just for her, just overall.

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

I wondered where Bridget was.  If I recall correctly, Bridget was born with a cleft palate, and Cindy and John adopted her and brought her to the US for reconstructive surgery.  One of the most heinous political maneuvers I've seen in my life involved a "whispering campaign" in 2000 against McCain and his "black daughter".   Maybe this hateful issue in her childhood makes her want to stay out of the spotlight.  Who could blame her?  Sometimes people make me sick.

Edited by spiderpig
rearranging comments.
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, bannana said:

From what I have read/heard, Bridget does not like to be in the limelight.  I don't think one should read any more into that.

What I thought was odd was that they had children of John alone in the front row, which left Meghan without her husband at her side.  This is a moment when you want your spouse there.  So Meghan was distraught with no one to lean on.  Her husband was there but at back of the seating.  Bad choice.  Not just for her, just overall.

I agree. Meghan’s husband should’ve been next to her; all the spouses/partners should’ve been next to their “other halves” (I couldn’t figure out how else to word that & not have a grammar fail because of the wording). I think I saw Meghan’s military brothers, as opposed to the civilians, consoling her when she got really distraught, though it’s not quite the same as having your spouse do it.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, bannana said:

I've heard the same about Bridget, she prefers not to be front and center.  I believe she was seated next to her step sister Sidney, McCain's daughter from his first marriage who also doesn't like the limelight.  I think they've done this before at various political events: they are there with the family but hang back and let the ones who don't mind being front and center take the lead.

Meghan was so distraught, she definitely needed her husband for support.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I don't think anyone could read anything into it.  The room was small and circular.  It looked liked they grouped the seats in small clusters of two-rowed seats with four seats per row.  She just happened to be seated in the second row with his two oldest sons and daughter.  I thought she was still very visible. The spouses were all to the right of them in their own little cluster of seats. Everyone got the chance to go an take  moment with the casket, even the in-laws and grand kids. 

I've read that the whole family is pretty close, even the kids from the first marriage.  I follow Jack. Jr and Renee (his wife) on twitter because I love how they both stan for their military branches  (I was a Navy brat) and they seem like a cute fun couple.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I don't think anyone could read anything into it.  The room was small and circular.  It looked liked they grouped the seats in small clusters of two-rowed seats with four seats per row.  She just happened to be seated in the second row with his two oldest sons and daughter.  I thought she was still very visible. The spouses were all to the right of them in their own little cluster of seats. Everyone got the chance to go an take  moment with the casket, even the in-laws and grand kids. 

I've read that the whole family is pretty close, even the kids from the first marriage.  I follow Jack. Jr and Renee (his wife) on twitter because I love how they both stan for their military branches  (I was a Navy brat) and they seem like a cute fun couple.

I’m not sure why this kind of thing is televised.  Everyone reading things into every move.  Bereaved people don’t need cameras in their faces.  Someone even commented on the widow’s hairstyle.

• Love 8

I'm not going to the Naval Academy on Saturday.   It's private anyway.   But I may go up there sometime to pay my respects.   

Talk about in your face, the Daily Fail (don't judge I just read it for the pics of the Royal Family) had front of their webpage Meghan breaking down over her father's casket.    Leave the poor woman alone.   She just lost her dad.   Even if you don't like her, give her a break.

• Love 8