Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

I am very sad about Koko. I admired her so much and consider her a groundbreaker for animals rights advocacy. If anyone had doubts non-human animals have intelligence, feelings, distinct preferences, a sense of humor, and felt love I could show them Koko. 

• Love 17
(edited)
9 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

RIP Koko.  Hope you got to meet up with your cats and all your human friends like Mr. Rogers and Robin Williams.

Word. Here's to hoping that she's able to.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, HoboClayton said:

Doesn't beat 09. And, it's not a race. Oh yeah. Fuck Cancer, and death and all that stuff. Rest In Peace Coco.

'09 was worse than '16?  I don't remember, but damn 2009 you must've been real bad.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/21/2018 at 7:37 AM, merylinkid said:

Koko, the gorilla who learned sign language has passed away at age 46.   

And we're STILL not, in Frans de Waal's words, smart enough to know how smart animals are.  RIP great heart.

A really good documentary that was made about her relatively early on (1977):

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076097/?ref_=nv_sr_2

I bought the Criterion edition of it years ago and I think it may be out of print.  But it's running as part of Filmstruck, the TCM/Criterion streaming service.

https://www.criterion.com/films/782-koko-a-talking-gorilla

Gary Indiana's essay on the film is worth reading. 

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/430-barbet-and-koko-an-equivocal-love-affair

As he says it is beyond tragic that unless something changes drastically gorillas are unlikely to survive on this planet outside of zoos and formal sanctuaries.  

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

As he says it is beyond tragic that unless something changes drastically gorillas are unlikely to survive on this planet outside of zoos and formal sanctuaries.  

This kind of stuff makes me look forward to the impending virus that will wipe us out once and fall. Humans have done far too much damage to this planet, we deserve extinction.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

This kind of stuff makes me look forward to the impending virus that will wipe us out once and fall. Humans have done far too much damage to this planet, we deserve extinction.

That’s a bit drastic but I share your sentiment. 

• Love 3

Myabe this is a bit off-topic, but do you remember the toddler who fell into a gorilla pit and one of the females retrieved the boy and protected him?

The older I get the more I prefer the company of animals (and a select group of PTVers)!

• Love 14
5 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

I remember seeing him less and less on the show recently this season. Did he have health problems?

I heard a report on the radio as I was coming home that said he had Parkinson's, although I've never heard anyone on the show say that. I figured he was a having some problems, as he hasn't been on the show at all for a while. 

• Love 1

He was 77?!  I though he was much older.  My step dad will be 80 next year, and looks 20 yrs younger than The Old Man.

Is his wife still alive?  There was nothing abt her. I remember when they had their 50th wedding anniversary-  I still watched it, then.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

He was 77?!  I though he was much older.  My step dad will be 80 next year, and looks 20 yrs younger than The Old Man.

Is his wife still alive?  There was nothing abt her. I remember when they had their 50th wedding anniversary-  I still watched it, then.

All I can say is God bless your stepdad and to answer your question, my guess is a poor diet, hard living, etc. that probably contributed to the Old Man's death. Anne Ramsey was pretty much like The Old Man back then, too. Looked old, but it was due to her smoking habits that cased her death prematurely at age 59. Lot of people back then were either born old or just rough looking to begin with. Ed Asner is another one who looked old then and now.

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't know how familiar his name is to those who aren't New Yorkers of a Certain Age, but reading that DJ Dan Ingram died brought back memories of listening to 77-WABC during the 60’s and 70's. Another figure from my youth gone.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 5

Just 2 days after the 9th anniversary of MJ's death. Still riding MJ's coattails, even in death.

Sorry, I'll try to be nicer. He did bring us the Jackson 5 and MJ. Too bad he wasn't emotionally equipped to properly do right by a soul like Mike's. I'm sorry for the family's loss.

• Love 11
37 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Joe Jackson "patriarch" of the Jackson family has passed away.    I feel a Bette Davis quote coming on.

Why would I not be surprised if the OTHER members of that family somehow feel THEY are resting in peace? 

• Love 13
21 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

Just 2 days after the 9th anniversary of MJ's death. Still riding MJ's coattails, even in death.

Sorry, I'll try to be nicer. He did bring us the Jackson 5 and MJ. Too bad he wasn't emotionally equipped to properly do right by a soul like Mike's. I'm sorry for the family's loss.

Joe Jackson proved you can beat your children into sucess provided that said children were talented to begin with.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

I'm not going to speak ill of the dead but I will post this someone tweeted last Friday:

Joe Jackson made his kids stars, but they all have paid a terrible price for it.  Michael Jackson was a tortured soul, and his father had a lot to do with it.

• Love 18
(edited)

I would imagine Katharine and/or Rebbie as next of kin (depending on Katharine’s mental & physical health).

Of course he could have someone designated as well.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 2
(edited)
26 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I would imagine Katharine and/or Rebbie as next of kin (depending on Katharine’s mental & physical health).

Of course he could have someone designated as well.

Speaking of Katherine, how is she doing? I am pretty sure her health deteriorated over the years. She is another one in her 80s. And she still has the grandkids, right?

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 1
(edited)
22 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Oh, I was under the impression that Katherine and Joe were estranged.  Hmmm....

The man was a genius, but he was no saint. He cheated on Katherine numerous times when the boys were touring. Genius, yes, but a saint? Let's not go there. 

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

The man was a genius, but he was no saint. He cheated on Katherine numerous times when the boys were touring. Genius, yes, but a saint? Let's not go there. 

I'm not sure if you meant to refer to my post about Katherine and Joe being estranged. I didn't say he was a saint or anything about him personally.  ?? 

22 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm not sure if you meant to refer to my post about Katherine and Joe being estranged. I didn't say he was a saint or anything about him personally.  ?? 

I know. And trust me, I remember Katherine and Joe being estranged in their later years. It is just that they were numerous moments when Katherine could have left, but she stayed. 

4 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

I know. And trust me, I remember Katherine and Joe being estranged in their later years. It is just that they were numerous moments when Katherine could have left, but she stayed. 

Even if they were estranged, she is still considered his next of kin.  And many couples live apart, but do not consider themselves estranged.  We do not the state of their marriage.

On 6/23/2018 at 5:43 PM, Spunkygal said:

So sad. I have heard he has been fractured since losing his brother in that shooting so I kind of don't want to hear how he died. 

He never had any desire to make amends with former Pantera lead singer Phil Anselmo but Vinnie Paul was still out there making music with his band Hellyeah. They were in the process of recording their 7th studio album. I was lucky enough to see Hellyeah live twice but never got to meet Vinnie. From what I've read since the announcement he passed away of a massive heart attack in his sleep. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Ellison wrote the best Star Trek TOS episode "The City on the Edge of Forever".

(My favorite, along with with "Arena" - the one with the Gorn!)

Edited by spiderpig
typo
  • Love 2
On 6/25/2018 at 5:26 PM, roamyn said:

I know; I wasn’t surprises by his death, as he’s seemed ill and kind of... feeble? ... for a while now. But I was shocked to read he was only 77. 

On 6/25/2018 at 6:57 PM, Robert Lynch said:

All I can say is God bless your stepdad and to answer your question, my guess is a poor diet, hard living, etc. that probably contributed to the Old Man's death. Anne Ramsey was pretty much like The Old Man back then, too. Looked old, but it was due to her smoking habits that cased her death prematurely at age 59. Lot of people back then were either born old or just rough looking to begin with. Ed Asner is another one who looked old then and now.

It could have been some of those things. But I think having Parkinson’s was probably then biggest contributing factor to his prematurely “older” appearance and demeanor. 

2 hours ago, Duke2801 said:

It could have been some of those things. But I think having Parkinson’s was probably then biggest contributing factor to his prematurely “older” appearance and demeanor. 

I don’t know if Parkinson’s ages you, looks wise.  Michael J Fox still looks 10 yrs younger, and my step-grandmother (mother to the aforementioned step-dad), had Parkinson’s for at least 20 yrs, died at age 92, but looked abt 80.  She was feeble physically, but not mentally.  I thought The Old Man was losing his touch mentally for awhile; with the sleeping at work, and foggy mental processes.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

One of my favorite videos. RIP.

Asshole that Harlan Ellison was, I have to give him two things here:

First, he was at least self-aware about his assholery.  Doesn't excuse anything he did, but at least he knew that about himself.

Second, what he's talking about in the clip here?  He's not wrong.  Creative people deserve to get paid, same as everyone else.

• Love 14

A very brief description of Harlan Ellison's work: Novels, short stories, novellas, television scripts, movie scripts, essays, published screenplays and teleplays, anthologies, audiobook reading, animation voice work. He won a zillion science fiction awards, including multiple Nebulas, Hugos, and Bradburies. He edited the unbelievably important Dangerous Visions and Again, Dangerous Visions. And somehow he also found time to teach an occasional writing class or speak at science fiction gatherings. He was also the most cantankerous person in the room wherever he went.

He also had the distinction of putting together the most vaporous vaporware I've ever heard of: He announced The Last Dangerous Visions in 1973, but never completed it. It was always  a work in progress. Christopher Priest published an article and book entitled The Book on the Edge of Forever about the painful experience of trying to contribute to ADV.

On 6/27/2018 at 5:58 PM, Robert Lynch said:

Speaking of Katherine, how is she doing? I am pretty sure her health deteriorated over the years. She is another one in her 80s. And she still has the grandkids, right?

Prince Michael & Paris are now legal adults, having reached  the ages of 21 & 20, respectively. Presumably, though, they still live with their grandmother, Katherine, who's been their legal guardian since the unexpected death of their father, Michael.

Michael's 2nd son, & youngest child, Prince Michael Joseph Jackson II, aka "Blanket", now known as "Bigi" (sounds like "biggie", I think), is 16 now. "Bigi" is of German origin, and means "idealistic, sensitive, and inspirational". In 2017, Katherine Jackson Petitioned the Court to give full guardianship of him to TJ Jackson, Katherine's grandson--1 of Tito Jackson's kids & Michael's cousin--who was appointed co-guardian of Michael's children along with Katherine Jackson. Katherine cited her age (87 at the time, to TJ's, I think whatever.  either 39 or 40) as a factor in her request. I think it was granted. But I don't know if Bigi lives with TJ or still with Katherine.

As for whether or not Joe & Katherine were "estranged" at the time of his death, I don't know if that accurately describes the state of their relationship. They had lived separate lives (Katherine at the family home in California; Joe in Las Vegas, where he died earlier this week) for as far back as I can remember, but neither ever filed for legal separation or divorce, that I'm aware of. If either did, it was rescinded between filing & becoming final. Individual Wikipedia pages for both Katherine & Joe Jackson indicate they were married from 1949-2018 (presumably ending with Joe's death).

• Love 3

No! No!  Not Harlan!I

I enjoyed much of his early work but I loved his turn as the new Mr. E.  on Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated.  I was hoping there would be a DTV release in that universe to pick up the story.  

I always preferred Harlan Ellison's non-fiction, due to the blunt, cantankerous, in-your-face-ness of it. I was able to meet him twice, and he was perfectly nice each time. He was most definitely a unique character.

• Love 2