Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

(edited)
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Are there any requirements on this thread regarding the age of the death?  I found something in memoriam for a death that is not recent. 

There are no requirements that I am aware of, but I'm not sure what you mean by "not recent."  As noted, some celebrity deaths deliberately aren't announced until some time has actually passed, as was the case with Robert Mandan (passed away more than a month before his passing was announced).  On the other hand, some death announcements are simply repeat announcements  of deaths that happened years ago that are mistaken for current events because people inadvertently forget to check the date of the actual announcement.  Could you give us an example of what you consider a "not recent" in memoriam announcement?

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, doodlebug said:

He also acknowledged the suicide note that was published and that no one in the family had even seen it before it was published and said that the breach of privacy was 'heartless'. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/fashion/kate-spade’s-death-‘there-was-no-indication-and-no-warning’-says-her-husband/ar-AAyj62g?ocid=spartanntp

"heartless" doesn't even begin to cover it, how can the police release the note before the family sees it?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, GaT said:

"heartless" doesn't even begin to cover it, how can the police release the note before the family sees it?

Man, I really hope the authorities REALLY nail whoever leaked it and I'd love Extra, etc. to be forced to do an abject on-air/written apology to the Spade family for needlessly pouring salt on their wounds instead of giving the leaker the bum's rush and blowing the whistle to the authorities!

If only we could somehow have the boo-ers in the climactic scene of Dangerous Liaisons greet all the culpable parties every time they go out in public!

• Love 6
3 hours ago, riley702 said:

I thought he said he hadn't seen it.

Her husband said he had not seen the suicide note at the time its contents were released to the press.  I believe he also said that no one in the family had seen the original note as of the time he made his statement last night.  I presume the police read it to him or gave him a copy of what it said, but were keeping the original as they investigate the death.

1 hour ago, WarnerCL45 said:

Which disease?

Severe depression leading to suicidal thoughts and actions.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Severe depression leading to suicidal thoughts and actions.

It’s debatable as to whether or not dression is a disease.  I was under the impression that it was a “mood disorder “.  I thought you were referring to alcoholism, which is also debatable.  Anyway, doesn’t really matter.

17 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

There are no requirements that I am aware of, but I'm not sure what you mean by "not recent."  As noted, some celebrity deaths deliberately aren't announced until some time has actually passed, as was the case with Robert Mandan (passed away more than a month before his passing was announced).  On the other hand, some death announcements are simply repeat announcements  of deaths that happened years ago that are mistaken for current events because people inadvertently forget to check the date of the actual announcement.  Could you give us an example of what you consider a "not recent" in memoriam announcement?

It wasn't an announcement, but, a video memoriam for a child actor, that occurred in 1976.  I thought it was touching and wanted to share, but, there didn't seem to be any place fitting, except here. 

• Love 4
On 6/6/2018 at 5:08 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Are there any requirements on this thread regarding the age of the death?  I found something in memoriam for a death that is not recent. 

Whatcha got?

Now I'm curious.

• Love 1

Yeah, that whole "They were so happy, though! I don't understand/there's no way they could've done this!" sort of response is very common in situations like this, and I wish more people knew what you shared here. 

I'm sorry for your loss. 

• Love 8
(edited)

ABC's GMA & CNN are confirming the death, apparently by suicide (really, we need to start an F--- Suicide thing now, I think), of TV & Culinary Personality & Author (Chef) Anthony Bourdain, at age 61. He was apparently in France, working on a new season of his CNN show. He was found unresponsive by Chef Eric Ripert.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add missing capitals, expand on a description and to try to fix weird spacing.
  • Love 8

I liked Anthony as a chef, as a personality and as host of the show Parts Unknown. His acerbic humor was funny. I know he had drug demons from his past but thought that he had successfully moved on, Married and had a child. I’m saddened by this news. RIP great chef. 

• Love 14
(edited)
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I liked Anthony as a chef, as a personality and as host of the show Parts Unknown. His acerbic humor was funny. I know he had drug demons from his past but thought that he had successfully moved on, Married and had a child. I’m saddened by this news. RIP great chef. 

He was actually divorced from Ottavia Busia, the mother of his daughter, Ariane (born in 2007), since 2016. They were married 2007-2016. He was most recently romantically involved with Italian actress Asia Argento, who is a self-proclaimed victim of Harvey Weinstein, the disgraced Movie & TV Producer/Head of The Weinstein Company (which produces/produced TV shows & Movies, & has/had interests in book publishing, among other things).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add info and boldface font.
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, BW Manilowe said:

He was actually divorced from Ottavia Busia, the mother of his daughter, Ariane, since 2016. He was most recently romantically involved with Italian/Italian-born actress Asia Argento, who is known to be among Harvey Weinstein's victims.

Well I guess I’m a little behind in my social news. Thanks BW.  I appreciate the correction. 

Anthony Bourdain's death comes as a complete shock!

I'll admit I don't know who Kate Spade is (I don't collect/wear hundreds of different shoes or purses), so that one didn't really connect with me.  But Bourdain?  Suicide?  He was always so witty and funny.  I wonder if he was recently diagnosed with something and couldn't deal with it?  I just can't see him as a depressed person.

My son & I have watched his shows for years.  I hope he's having a drink and a little smoke to go with his favorite Asian dish where he is.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Well I guess I’m a little behind in my social news. Thanks BW.  I appreciate the correction. 

No problem. He was married, as I just edited into my response, 2007-2016. Their daughter, Ariane, was born in 2007, so she's now 10 or 11, depending on if her birthday has passed this year or not (so far, I can only find a year online). That's more heartbreaking than Kate Spade's daughter, even.

• Love 2
(edited)

This article says that he apparently committed suicide by hanging, according to CNN. The most recent report I can find online from them (CNN) just says he committed suicide without mentioning the method he used.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a parenthetical qualification to a comment.
  • Love 2

I wasn't a dedicated viewer, or even what one would call a fan, but I enjoyed Anthony Bourdain whenever I saw him on tv. He had such a great attitude. My condolences to his family and Asia Argento (I believe they were still together at the time of his death).

• Love 6

We are cut up about it in the Parts Unknown forum. I have followed him for many, many years. I was very sad when I found out, and I immediately thought of the New Yorker profile of him from early last year. It was a very candid article. They referenced through him and others that he went through a dark night in 2016 (again apparently in France if I recall) which I recognized as very depressive. I feel terrible for his daughter. It's also horrible for Eric as they were best friends and he had to find poor Tony.

• Love 16
(edited)

I loved Parts Unknown. Anthony Bourdain was entertaining and surprisingly insightful. I loved his love of food and how unafraid he was to try new dishes from people selling on the streets and in dives all over the world. I will never forget that he said, "people don't poison their neighbors." He meant that they were successful because their food was good and there was no need to be apprehensive. He also wasn't afraid to tackle sociopolitical issues in the countries that he visited e.g. the violence in Mexico. I will miss him. 

Rest in peace, Tony

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 18
25 minutes ago, Athena said:

We are cut up about it in the Parts Unknown forum. I have followed him for many, many years. I was very sad when I found out, and I immediately thought of the New Yorker profile of him from early last year. It was a very candid article. They referenced through him and others that he went through a dark night in 2016 (again apparently in France if I recall) which I recognized as very depressive. I feel terrible for his daughter. It's also horrible for Eric as they were best friends and he had to find poor Tony.

Yes, when I read that I could not even imagine how horrible that must be for Eric.

Really loved Tony and his show.  He was always so kind to my birth country (Vietnam) and seemed just like a regular guy looking for good food.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

I'll admit I don't know who Kate Spade is (I don't collect/wear hundreds of different shoes or purses), so that one didn't really connect with me.  But Bourdain?  Suicide?  He was always so witty and funny.  I wonder if he was recently diagnosed with something and couldn't deal with it?  I just can't see him as a depressed person.

My son & I have watched his shows for years.  I hope he's having a drink and a little smoke to go with his favorite Asian dish where he is.

Same here. RIP Anthony Bourdain. My mom and I loved watching his shows over the years and liked his sense of humor.

• Love 4
(edited)
30 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

Anthony was my second favorite celebrity death. Wow, I am at a loss. RIP.

Maybe I shouldn't say anything, but... I know (at least I think) you were trying to say Anthony Bourdain was your second favorite celebrity to die. You might wanna consider a little rewording, though, because the way you wrote it, it appears you might be saying Bourdain's death is your second favorite death of a celebrity, which I knew you didn't mean at all (I interpreted your comment both ways).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment.

I am floored about the death of Anthony Bourdain.  Some celebrity deaths just hit you harder than others. This one is tough.  I'll take more of my reaction to his show thread. He will be sorely missed.  I feel so very sorry that this had to happen.  I encourage anyone who wasn't familiar with his work to watch some episodes of Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown.  Whether he was in Vietnam or Nashville, he captured the spirit of the people.  RIP, Mr. Bourdain. 

• Love 15
4 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Maybe I shouldn't say anything, but... I know (at least I think) you were trying to say Anthony Bourdain was your second favorite celebrity to die. You might wanna consider a little rewording, though, because the way you wrote it, it appears you might be saying Bourdain's death is your second favorite death of a celebrity, which I knew you didn't mean at all (I interpreted your comment both ways).

It was a typo. I meant chef but wrote death. I already fixed it.

• Love 5

I agree with everyone else that Mr. Bourdain's sudden death has been a complete shock to me. Let's just say that while I didn't always like his attitudes nor the shows' execution, I DID like the concept he had of encouraging folks to seek out others from different backgrounds and bond with them via food. His poor family- especially his young daughter, though!

• Love 7

Besides the episode from Hanoi, where Bourdain shared a meal with then-President Obama (who was, as I remember, in Hanoi for an [I think] annual summit the US & numerous Asian countries participate in). I think other Parts Unknown episodes I appreciated most were the ones he did (actually as part of any of his various TV shows) from Manila &/or the Philippines as a whole (my late father was a native of the Philippines); & the 1 he did from Beirut/Lebanon, I'm pretty sure it was, which got extra publicity, as I remember, because Bourdain & his crew had to be evacuated from the country by a US military vessel.

• Love 1
(edited)

A couple of people were interested in my earlier post about a Memoriam for a child actor from yesteryear. Some may not recall who she is.   Anissa Jones was one of my favorite child actors from childhood. (Show Family Affair)  I  ran across it and found it touching.  Truly, a life taken too soon.  I hope it's okay to place here. I wonder if we might start a thread on celebrity deaths from the past.  ??

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, roamyn said:

Not that this will help you more with knowing who Kate Spade was, but her brother-in-law was actor & former SNL cast member, also the star (I think) of CBS' now-canceled (in the last few seasons) show Rules of Engagement, David Spade. A niece is also an actress; she won a Golden Globe this year for something that streamed on Amazon.com.

• Love 1
(edited)
34 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I am floored about the death of Anthony Bourdain.  Some celebrity deaths just hit you harder than others. This one is tough.  I'll take more of my reaction to his show thread. He will be sorely missed.  I feel so very sorry that this had to happen.  I encourage anyone who wasn't familiar with his work to watch some episodes of Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown.  Whether he was in Vietnam or Nashville, he captured the spirit of the people.  RIP, Mr. Bourdain. 

this. and many shows other than parts unknown. his top chef appearances as judge are epic, as he holds NO punches in telling chefs his opinions. (in fact, likely going to watch those past episodes today as tribute.)

Edited by Colorado David
  • Love 1

I realize that Anthony's primary occupation was a chef, I suppose, but, I always got the impression that he loved people, more than cooking.  Though, he sure seemed to celebrate and bond over the food.  It was something unique, that I had never seen before. What a loss to us all. 

• Love 11