Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, roamyn said:

I would debate that the era will end with the death of Jerry Lee Lewis.  Those three were the most influential musicians on R&R.

RIP, Mr. Berry, and thanks - for the music, at least.

You forget Little Richard. More original  than Elvis.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

It's amazing he lasted as long as he did.  But to say this is the end of  an era is understating things by a lot.  He was not a really , ahem, admirable guy in almost any way except the artistic one.  But having made that clear - there is NO rock and roll of any kind at all without Elvis and Chuck Berry.  Period.  No argument. End of story.

As Stephen King said, "90's not bad for Rock n' Roll." As to his foibles, no need to rehash, a lot of geniuses were not great human beings but we can appreciate the art they left behind.

• Love 16

Perhaps, I shouldn't be dissing any aspect of the deceased (and it doesn't take away from the late Mr. Berry's talent) but it seems to have been public record that he by was no means a true husband to his wife. I wonder if Mrs. Berry's MO for staying married to him all these decades may possibly have been to gain satisfaction in outlasting any rivals and ultimately him? Just wondering.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Blergh said:

he by was no means a true husband to his wife

Oh boy, that is the understatement of the year.  He was a towering genius but also a twisted,  angry and kind of mean guy.  And he paid a heavy price for it as far as that goes - both externally from the racism of the time, and internally by being consumed by his own rage for much of his life.   You can google it all  - I don't want to depress myself.

Why is it anyone else's business why she stayed married to him?

Yes, we don't know.  

Edited by ratgirlagogo

I'm always scared to click on this thread to see who is gone and I"ll feel sad, but then I kind of need to know too. Does that make sense?

At least when I click the thread I can brace myself. When I see it splashed on the news it is a shocker and if it's someone beloved I usually cry. I know. I'm a pushover.

I still miss Prince and Carrie Fisher's death kind of hit me hard. (As did others, but I won't do a list; I'll spare you)

• Love 2

I always admired Chuck Barris and unabashedly loved The Gong Show (I was a sophomore in high school, the perfect age).    Goes without saying I thought Confessions of a Dangerous Mind was a brilliant film.

The other day, when Chuck Berry died, someone joked, "I loved him on the Gong show."

"Don't even kid about that!" I said.

Sigh.

Suggestion for an epitaph:

We'll be back with more stuff!

• Love 6

Aww. the Gong Show was camp, nothing more, it never pretended to be anything else.   But sometimes you need camp.   I liked it.   RIP Chuck Barris.

RIP Colin Dexter.   He always said he never knew how long he had.   That's why he killed off Morris.   So no one would be able to write another Morris story after his (Dexter's) death.  Love the series, even read the books.

• Love 2

Taylor Hackford Remembers Making a Movie With Chuck Berry: ‘The Greatest Nightmare of Any Filmmaking Experience I’ve Ever Had’

Chuck Berry sounded like an ordeal to work with but that last part of the Taylor Hackford interview kills me.

He did profit from the British Invasion, but he was also looking at the fact that they had hundreds of millions of dollars, and he just had a few million — and he had created it all. Chuck could play; he could sing; he could do the duck walk. The brilliance dripped off him. He was a star. But he was a black man. Maybe it was having that talent and realizing that if he’d been born white, he could have been one of the biggest, most successful, and richest performers ever.

• Love 4

He probably caused more divorces than anyone else in history with The Newlywed Game. That's certainly one hell of a legacy for a person to have. But I've always said the runner up to Family Feud in stupid game show answers is the Newlywed Game, so that's not too bad!

RIP, Chuck!

I remember one question from the Newlywed Game ... "In your neighborhood, from which direction does the sun rise?" I sat there, giving it some thought, while the wives answered "north," "south," etc., and the last wife to answer looked very puzzled, and said, "um, I think it rises in the east." Boy, did I feel stupid. I fell for it. 

• Love 2
On 3/19/2017 at 4:11 PM, dalek said:

Comic book artist Bernie Wrightson has passed away.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/famed-comic-book-artist-bernie-wrightson-dies-at-68-1793421051

I have very fond memories of his work on Swamp Thing.  And his Frankenstein project.

Big Bernie Wrightson fan here too.   I grew up collecting comic books in the 1970s and have all the Swamp Thing first runs.    I didn't know he died.   Jeez, all these pillars of my youth toppling to the ground ... 

4 hours ago, ennui said:

I remember one question from the Newlywed Game ... "In your neighborhood, from which direction does the sun rise?" I sat there, giving it some thought, while the wives answered "north," "south," etc., and the last wife to answer looked very puzzled, and said, "um, I think it rises in the east." Boy, did I feel stupid. I fell for it. 

My favorite dumb answer was to the question, "How far did you guys go on your first date?", meaning first base, all the way, etc. The wife says, "Umm, maybe x number of miles?" (Can't remember how many she said) Husband comes back and says the same thing: that they made a road trip to somewhere about x number of miles away.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, riley702 said:

The wife says, "Umm, maybe x number of miles?" (Can't remember how many she said) Husband comes back and says the same thing:

I like that! They think alike, and they're probably still married.  :)

• Love 3
On 3/22/2017 at 4:44 PM, ennui said:

A colleague of mine and his wife auditioned for it, and in a conversation many years later said that all the couples were given lots of champagne to drink before the game began. I thought that explained a lot of things. That said, my favorite question was "What is your husband's favorite rodent?" His wife thought about it, then answered, "I guess it would be his saxophone."

RIP, Chuck. I loved the Gong Show, too. 

• Love 3

I had a long day in court today.   I was exhausted by the time I was driving home.   Then Wake Me Up came on the radio.   I cranked it.   I looked a total fool dancing around in my little car but I didn't care.   I so needed that.   Thank you George Michael for so many pick me up moments.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

I had a long day in court today.   I was exhausted by the time I was driving home.   Then Wake Me Up came on the radio.   I cranked it.   I looked a total fool dancing around in my little car but I didn't care.   I so needed that.   Thank you George Michael for so many pick me up moments.

I'll do you one better: whenever I hear that song when I'm in bed, I picture the video and start dancing while I'm still lying in bed.

That song always makes me feel good.?

• Love 6
6 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

Lola Albright - I had a girl crush on her - such a sexy voice! She was one of those actresses that was all over the place in the 50s and 60s. She was 92, so a nice long life.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/lola-albright-dead-peter-gunn-champion-actress-was-92-988635

I had a huge crush on Lola, still do. An under appreciated beauty and wonderful actress/singer.

My Favorite Edie Hart song/solo from a Peter Gunn episode, Straight to Baby. RIP Lovely Lady.

1 hour ago, UYI said:

Darlene Cates, who played Bonnie Grape, the obese mother of Johnny Depp and his siblings in What's Eating Gilbert Grape?, has died at 69.

http://jezebel.com/darlene-cates-who-played-the-mother-in-whats-eating-gi-1793712100

HER performance blew all the others out of the water IMO (yes even Depp's and DiCaprio's) because, unlike every other performer in that movie, she literally KNEW what it was like to have be a total prisoner of one's body and whatever private demons she had tried to barricade herself from.  As sad as the news is, I'm actually surprised she was able to live as long as she did being so morbidly obese. RIP, Miss Cates.

• Love 8
On 3/28/2017 at 8:29 AM, Ohwell said:

How very sad.  I wondered if she had managed to lose some of the weight over the years.   

The obit I read said that Darlene had lost 250 lbs. in an effort to get more acting roles.

• Love 2
On 3/24/2017 at 6:18 PM, merylinkid said:

94 days after his death  http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-39434127  :(  

• Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:37 AM, Blergh said:

HER performance blew all the others out of the water IMO (yes even Depp's and DiCaprio's) because, unlike every other performer in that movie, she literally KNEW what it was like to have be a total prisoner of one's body and whatever private demons she had tried to barricade herself from.  As sad as the news is, I'm actually surprised she was able to live as long as she did being so morbidly obese. RIP, Miss Cates.

I will politely disagree. DiCaprio was amazing.

• Love 16
On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:50 AM, VCRTracking said:

Taylor Hackford Remembers Making a Movie With Chuck Berry: ‘The Greatest Nightmare of Any Filmmaking Experience I’ve Ever Had’

Chuck Berry sounded like an ordeal to work with but that last part of the Taylor Hackford interview kills me.

My brother worked at a radio station that had him play at a concert and my brother drew the short straw and had to get him on stage.  It was a total nightmare.

The other thing I always heard about Chuck Berry was that before he could make money with music, he was a house painter.  And apparently he kept on painting even after he was doing really well.

• Love 2

Tammy Wynette kept her hairdresser license current even after she became famous.  I think it comes from growing up poor and never quite believing that the good days are going to stay, so you have a backup plan always ready.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, meep.meep said:

My brother worked at a radio station that had him play at a concert and my brother drew the short straw and had to get him on stage.  It was a total nightmare.

The other thing I always heard about Chuck Berry was that before he could make money with music, he was a house painter.  And apparently he kept on painting even after he was doing really well.

You have to  remember that Rock n Roll people didn't make tons of money until the mid sixties , long after Chuck Berry's heyday.

• Love 3

You have to  remember that Rock n Roll people didn't make tons of money until the mid sixties , long after Chuck Berry's heyday.

True.  Although even in the 60s, many performers were often underpaid while the peripheral folk (managers, record companies, et al) were the ones who walked away with the money.  In fact, more often than not I heard stories of performers who owed back taxes on money they never even saw.